SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

I have to say that I didn't pay much attention to Dicken when he was out there, but I did not notice him being overly "soft" as many are insinuating. I would guess that it has less to do with his "soft" play and more to do with the fact that he was unlikley to get much ice time- In fact, I think it is kind of mean spirited to call him out for this as he moves on. I'd prefer to say "thank you" and "good luck" in Manitoba, YOUNG man.

Izzy Marvin, Matt Morelli, and Lee Marvin.

Pretty sure David Marvin was a decent player (was not soft or avoided contact), Matt Morelli ( I might give you that one) and Lee Marvin was tough to gauge because it has to be hard to crack a line-up with players such as Schneider, Fuhr, Greene, Bina, Jones, Smaby, Radke, Hale, Chorney, and Lee.

Mark MacMillan is listed at 6 feet 168 pounds- this means in reality he is probably 5'11 and 160- that is a THIN college hockey player. He has some great skill and potential- imagine if he was 20 pounds heavier? 180 would not slow him down at all, but would give him that extra mass when going to the net and getting ridden by a dman. Right now he is likely giving up 40 pounds to the average WCHA defenseman...that is a lot...maybe he needs to go lay brick with Fratty's old crew in Alberta- that'll put on 20 pounds of muscle in a summer (I know, I did it laying concrete roads one summer in college).

Actually I rode an elevator with MacMillan and Corban Night at last year's Final Five and Mark is a legit 6'1''. I am a conservative 5'11'' and he was definitely taller than me. I also bet he was like 175 at the end of last year. Hopefully going into this year he can at least get up to 180-185 lbs. He is slender though.

Actually I rode an elevator with MacMillan and Corban Night at last year's Final Five and Mark is a legit 6'1''. I am a conservative 5'11'' and he was definitely taller than me. I also bet he was like 175 at the end of last year. Hopefully going into this year he can at least get up to 180-185 lbs. He is slender though.

I remember reading that he had almost hit 190 at the Montreal Prospect camp back in June/July, not sure how try it is but nonetheless surprising to see him listed at under 170.

Pretty sure David Marvin was a decent player (was not soft or avoided contact), Matt Morelli ( I might give you that one) and Lee Marvin was tough to gauge because it has to be hard to crack a line-up with players such as Schneider, Fuhr, Greene, Bina, Jones, Smaby, Radke, Hale, Chorney, and Lee.

David Marvin's knickname was Izzy gonna pass? Izzy gonna shoot? Or Izzy gonna cough up the puck again?

This is not a class loaded with blue chippers. Grimaldi (who shouldn't be part of this class) is by far the biggest offensive upside new forward. Schmaltz should be real good in a couple years- it is tough to be a freshman first round dman in this league (Brian Lee anyone?) I think the rest of our class is role players who hopefully develop into the future Corbin Knights and Carter Rowneys. It isn't like the years when we brought in Parise or Toews or Oshie or even Kristo...Grimaldi could be that type of player though- scouts compared him to Brian Gionta

This is not a class loaded with blue chippers. Grimaldi (who shouldn't be part of this class) is by far the biggest offensive upside new forward. Schmaltz should be real good in a couple years- it is tough to be a freshman first round dman in this league (Brian Lee anyone?) I think the rest of our class is role players who hopefully develop into the future Corbin Knights and Carter Rowneys. It isn't like the years when we brought in Parise or Toews or Oshie or even Kristo...Grimaldi could be that type of player though- scouts compared him to Brian Gionta

I really think Caggiula and Chyzyk will be guys that come in and play right away. If you look at Chyzyk's stats from his year in the USHL, they are better than Michael Parks', he probably won't get as large of a role as Parks did, but its not out of the realm of the possibility. How many player's come into the WCHA as true freshman (there first year out of high school)? Not many, Caggiula is doing that, so obviously the coaches think he will be able to contribute this year, otherwise there is no reason to bring him in. I really think he will come in and have a solid year and end up getting drafted as an overager. Schmaltz will be playing every night, but he will probably get protected minutes at least to begin with. I expect him to be QBing the powerplay from day 1 though.

I agree that those guys will play, but they are not coming into the lineup in top 6 roles (other than Rocco) I agree that they could definitely become studs- I could see Chyzyk and Caggiula being Knight/Rowney players, which is what I said in my previous post. Now I also believe that Knight is a better player than Rowney, but I don't want to get into who is like who or who is better than who. In fact, I think Knighter is one of the most underrated players in college hockey. He is a beast two-ways, wins draws, plays hurt, and is clutch.

As for Schmaltz- yes, he will get special teams play right away, yes, they will not put him out against a lot of other teams top lines, and yes, they will likely protect him with someone like Big Mac as his partner- first rounders get 20 minutes of ice minimum, guaranteed, unless they really suck the big one.

I agree that those guys will play, but they are not coming into the lineup in top 6 roles (other than Rocco) I agree that they could definitely become studs- I could see Chyzyk and Caggiula being Knight/Rowney players, which is what I said in my previous post. Now I also believe that Knight is a better player than Rowney, but I don't want to get into who is like who or who is better than who. In fact, I think Knighter is one of the most underrated players in college hockey. He is a beast two-ways, wins draws, plays hurt, and is clutch.

As for Schmaltz- yes, he will get special teams play right away, yes, they will not put him out against a lot of other teams top lines, and yes, they will likely protect him with someone like Big Mac as his partner- first rounders get 20 minutes of ice minimum, guaranteed, unless they really suck the big one.

We don't really have too many top 6 holes at forward anyway, so those guys don't need to be those types.

weird post I know I was just seeing if my posting was working. so now that we have a roster what are the lines going to look like.

O'donnel Knight Kristo

Macmillian Grimaldi Parks

Caggila Rowney Chyzyk

Gaardier Pattyn, St. clair Sanderson

Macwilliam Mattson

Schwartz Forbort

Gleason Simpson

Panzy

I know I spelled names wrong but I can't go back and look on my phone

weird post I know I was just seeing if my posting was working. so now that we have a roster what are the lines going to look like.

O'donnel Knight Kristo

Macmillian Grimaldi Parks

Rowney Rodwell

Here's my try

Grimaldi-Knight-Kristo Another deadly top line, only issue is all 3 are right handed shots

MacMillan-Rowney-Parks Too much success/chemistry a year ago for them not to start out this way

Caggiula-O'Donnell-Rodwell Could be a break out year for both O'Donnell and Rodwell, I have high hopes for Caggiula as a freshman

Chyzyk-Pattyn-St. Clair Good energy line, I think Caggiula and Chyzyk are interchangeable here, Pattyn and St. Clair will provide hard working, honest play.

Here's my try

Grimaldi-Knight-Kristo Another deadly top line, only issue is all 3 are right handed shots

MacMillan-Rowney-Parks Too much success/chemistry a year ago for them not to start out this way

Caggiula-O'Donnell-Rodwell Could be a break out year for both O'Donnell and Rodwell, I have high hopes for Caggiula as a freshman

Chyzyk-Pattyn-St. Clair Good energy line, I think Caggiula and Chyzyk are interchangeable here, Pattyn and St. Clair will provide hard working, honest play.

that would be a deadly topline but I thought I heard somewhere that Grimaldi is a natural centerman so put him with Mcmillian and Parks, put O'donnel on the first line. Put a veteran Rowney with the 2 freshman again and see what happens. St. Clair Pattyn and Rodwell can be a good checking line, or you could switch rodwell with one of the 2 freshman on the third line.

that would be a deadly topline but I thought I heard somewhere that Grimaldi is a natural centerman so put him with Mcmillian and Parks, put O'donnel on the first line. Put a veteran Rowney with the 2 freshman again and see what happens. St. Clair Pattyn and Rodwell can be a good checking line, or you could switch rodwell with one of the 2 freshman on the third line.

Up until last year, Brock Nelson was a natural centerman as well, I'm just saying look how well having the 3 best forwards on the team worked last year, and this year we should have depth the entire year, rather than waiting until the freshmen get acclimated.

Up until last year, Brock Nelson was a natural centerman as well, I'm just saying look how well having the 3 best forwards on the team worked last year, and this year we should have depth the entire year, rather than waiting until the freshmen get acclimated.

One difference is that Nelson had a year to get acclimated to the WCHA before getting on that line. Putting Grimaldi at his natural position, especially at the beginning of the season, would help make him more comfortable as he gets used to the level of competition. Especially since he missed almost the entire year last year with an injury.