SiouxSports.com Forum

Who's going to Alabama?

Brent_Bobyck

Congrats! That had to be the single greatest home field advantage I have ever witnessed. I was really impressed with the arena as well. As for the students that sat in front of us I hope that they are not an indication of how people in Grand Forks treat their guests each week. But oh well it was a great game and UND had a helluva game plan and lined up and executed.

On flights: Check NWA to Muscle Shoals. Delta/American/United to Huntsville, AL (about 60 miles away) Nashville is only 2 hours away as is Memphis. Both easy drives as well. Birmingham is 2 hours away and serviced by Southwest additionally. Good luck and I really do hope that UND brings more than you brought 2 years ago. Because last year GVSU had 2500 and thay have already guranteed 2700 tickets and UND only requested 500 so far. So for the love of football buy a ticket and come down south for a great weekend.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2800 tickets to be sold to Laker fans starting Monday morning. I think everyone is planning on jumping on them early because they wont last. Cant wait to get back to Alabama again, they are gonna rename it Laker Stadium pretty soon. :silly: Just kidding, hopefully we will see you guys out there.

Tickets were already available to be purchased for this game correct? Then I think the rest of the tickets should be made avaiable to UND and GVSU. Why should they be limited to 2800? Then if some tickets aren't sold, they can go back to the general public on say friday.

I can't imagine a "huge" Sioux following like GVSU is bringing. Number one, for students its finals starting on Monday. It's tough to make a twenty five hour drive after the game to get home to take finals on Monday. I did see on the Laker sight that they were saying you can always retake a class. I wouldn't want to. I suppose you could study in the car. Come on students, ROAD TRIP!

Number 2, plane tickets are way too expensive for a couple day journey. You'd think that Florence could work with an airline to offer some cheaper tickets.

Number 3 is Sioux hockey. Hockey will always be king and there are home games that weekend. But any hockey fans debating what to go to should just go to Alabama. How often do you get to go to a national championship game?

I guess that was a dumb question, because we pretty much go to a national championship in some sport every year! :silly:

Don't let the 500 ticket thing fool you. There are many Sioux fans from across the country that will just show up.

I can't imagine a "huge" Sioux following like GVSU is bringing. Number one, for students its finals starting on Monday. It's tough to make a twenty five hour drive after the game to get home to take finals on Monday. I did see on the Laker sight that they were saying you can always retake a class. I wouldn't want to. I suppose you could study in the car. Come on students, ROAD TRIP!

Number 2, plane tickets are way too expensive for a couple day journey. You'd think that Florence could work with an airline to offer some cheaper tickets.

Number 3 is Sioux hockey. Hockey will always be king and there are home games that weekend. But any hockey fans debating what to go to should just go to Alabama. How often do you get to go to a national championship game?

Number 4, Grand Forks is a whole lot further away than Grand Valley State. I think GVSU is only about 700 miles from Muscle Shoals, compared to 1300 miles for Grand Forks. A lot of casual fans might think it's fun to make the 10 hour drive, but only real diehards would consider 20 hours.

Sioux Fans:

Does anybody know if the charter flight and/or bus from GF is returning on Saturday after the game or on Sunday? If they are staying overnight, where are they staying? Are there any specific pre-game plans for Sioux fans?

I am thinking about driving down on my own from New Jersey and am trying to figure out the best way to hook up with other Sioux fans

Thanks.

Tickets were already available to be purchased for this game correct? Then I think the rest of the tickets should be made avaiable to UND and GVSU. Why should they be limited to 2800? Then if some tickets aren't sold, they can go back to the general public on say friday.

Each team is brought 500 tickets and then they can gurantee anything above that. UND did not feel that they could sell more than 500 when the championship reps left Florence for Grand Forks on Friday. If you want more we will send you as many as you need. Last year we only took 500 to GVSU and then overnighted them 2,000 extra. When UND was in it in 2001 there were roughly only 400 tickets sold at the UND ticket office and 100 were returned to Florence.

A buddy and I executed the road trip to Florence two years ago. Good times, everyone should try it ??? To give anyone interested an indication on the time involved, after the game we took off and drove about 5 or 6 hours to a town just south of St. Louis where we crashed for the night. Took off at 9am Sunday and made it to Grand Forks around 1am. That included a flat tire and a stop at Ozarkland (very poor-man's Wall Drug). So its definitely could be a three-day trip, especially if you take off early Friday (reading and review day anyway, right?).

UNA screwed us over. They sold out our student section to all their fans last week. I don't know what you guys all think about that but we here at GV think it is BS. The best we could get were the sixth row and I guarantee those are all gone now. We had about 50 people in line this morning most of which buying for large groups ;). Screw UNA. I say we make it a chant at the game for everyone to get in on. ???

Here is a website with a few more lodging options.

http://www.artsalive.net/hotels.htm

The Super 8 in Killen is only about 5 miles from the stadium and you might have an easier time getting reservations. The only problem is that they are building a new bridge and it is a construction zone, so the speed limit is 35 mph, but it isn't enforced on the weekends, so I wouldn't worry about it.

You might want to fly into Huntsville, it is usually cheaper and it is only about an hour away. If you did want to travel by train, I think there is a station in Birmingham which is only about 2 hours away....

Good luck next week. We hated to lose, but still wish you the best. ;)

BTW - most of us have a full set of teeth down here and marriages to non-blood relatives. ???

Have a safe trip and see ya at the game!

UNA screwed us over. They sold out our student section to all their fans last week. I don't know what you guys all think about that but we here at GV think it is BS. The best we could get were the sixth row and I guarantee those are all gone now. We had about 50 people in line this morning most of which buying for large groups ;). Screw UNA. I say we make it a chant at the game for everyone to get in on. ???

You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. GVSU requested the visitor's side so they could be on TV more. Before the 2500 tickets that were delivered by the championship personnel there were a total of 76 tickets sold on that side. That side is sold out now thanks to your University and UNA had nothing to do with it. It is an independent organization that runs the game and the ticket sales. In fact we are actually trying to figure out how to bring in some temporary seats on the visitor's side just so we can accomodate you.

Looks like UND only got tickets for fans that are taking the charter. I find that an interesting decision -- I would've thought they would have bought a block for UND fans so there would be a group of UND fans together rather than have us interspersed with the locals.

Looks like UND only got tickets for fans that are taking the charter. I find that an interesting decision -- I would've thought they would have bought a block for UND fans so there would be a group of UND fans together rather than have us interspersed with the locals.

that doesn't make any sense on UND's part.

My mom was there selling tikctes yesterday and I thought that it was very odd that they only wanted tickets for the ones that paid for the charter. Do not worry though there will be plenty of room right behind the UND bench and about 20 rows up. There are still plenty of tickets left on the UND side though and if not I will sell you mine.

Has anyone contacted Suck Country or Champion Air? My guess is that a charter (outside of the UND one) is possible. You will need to collect about 150-170 people however and a ballpark guess would be around 50K to charter the aircraft for the round trip flight. Would be around $300$350 per passenger or so depending upon the group size. Still cheaper than taking NWA down.

There will be two buses leaving Grand Forks Thursday night at 9:00pm and

will arrive in Florence, AL, Friday evening and will be back in GF

Sunday evening. Costs for the bus transportation is $145, hotel is

$50/night (up to four people) and game tickets are $10/student,

$15/general public.

Contact Patti Twite at 777.5209. Evening phone number is 773-9560 for

more info and for booking. Please do so ASAP!

That's from the student body President.

The bus fare seems steep but it is actually cheaper than Greyhound simply because you are paying for a round trip ticket ($145) which is what Greyhound charges for one way. Now, they do have a charter option, but they do not have a pricing function for them. I would figure that this deal is still better than chartering a Greyhound.