SiouxSports.com Forum

Why UND can't play NDSU

jimdahl

ok,

in my opinion there is NO way that the BSA is better than the Hyslop. While i will agree that both are basically crap facilities, Hyslop has a way better atmosphere and coziness to it. i've seen quite a few UND-NDSU games in the BSA and there is absolutely NO atmosphere there when compared to Hyslop. When the crowd gets going at the Hyslop, it can be very loud and home-friendly. When UND finishes their new addition to REA, they will have the nicest facility in the NCC, and possibly the nation. To compare Newman Field to Kraft isnt really feasible, Newman is just way better. I think that the Alerus and Fargo Dome are pretty close. Both have their ups and downs. Aesthetically, Fargo Dome probably looks nicer because there isnt any tin showing. But again, when Fargo is not full(it never is unless against UND)there can be a huge void left in there, and it can seem kind of empty. I think the Alerus is perfect as far as size, because it doesnt look or sound as empty as it may seem.

Go Sioux!!!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE from bisonguy - It just seems strange to me that UND plays football in an arena that they don't have anything to do with, and don't hold any leverage with. It seems feesible that the Alerus management could put UND between a rock and a hard place if they really wanted to raise the rates a lot.

Believe me, the Alerus is in absolutely NO position to be putting UND in a bad spot. If they ever tried doing anything, we'd say screw you and go back to memorial stadium. They do NO bending over backwards for us EVER. UND had to practice outdoors all week before the Pitt game because the Alerus needed a WEEK to set up for a concert. Complete BS!! I saw them set up the backstreet boys concert in less than 24 hours.(I was working, not attending) The Alerus' staff, from top management to event security, are a bunch of jackasses.(I know i used to work there) The concession and parking people are nice however. Could you imagine the numbers for themselves if they didnt have football games in there? They really don't have a leg to stand on.

Believe me, the Alerus is in absolutely NO position to be putting UND in a bad spot.  If they ever tried doing anything, we'd say screw you and go back to memorial stadium.  They do NO bending over backwards for us EVER.  UND had to practice outdoors all week before the Pitt game because the Alerus needed a WEEK to set up for a concert.  Complete BS!!  I saw them set up the backstreet boys concert in less than 24 hours.(I was working, not attending)  The Alerus' staff, from top management to event security, are a bunch of jackasses.(I know i used to work there)  The concession and parking people are nice however.  Could you imagine the numbers for themselves if they didnt have football games in there?  They really don't have a leg to stand on.

I wasn't going to, but I just can't help it. Vince... in the future, please know what the hell you're talking about before you post ignorant non-facts.

Yes... the Alerus needed a week to set up the MSR concert. If you had been there, you would have noticed that the set is not comparable to any other, as a "whole city" theme was built. Knowing the time this would take, the Alerus staff was in contact with the UND athletic dept, asking if the show should be booked.

UND SAID TO BOOK THE SHOW, KNOWING FULL WELL THE IMPLICATIONS IT MAY HAVE HAD ON A POSSIBLE PLAYOFF PRACTICE SCHEDULE!

I had a whole lot more here, which I removed, because it doesn't shine a "bright light" on UND athletics. But let me reiterate, Vince, if you don't know the facts... don't comment on them.

Edited by airmail

Let's run through this with the real facilities that matter: Next year's.

I'm going to do this in a boxing "ten point must" system.

Baseball

Newman Outdoor Field Vs. Kraft Field

Newman 10-5. But does anyone north of Omaha (without a dome) care about college baseball?

Does anyone south of Omaha care about college hockey?

airmail,

you must work at the alerus.  you want facts?  i posted them earlier about the alerus employees.  thanks for the kind words, fellow sioux. :D

No, I don't work there, or really care about the workings of the facility. But when I know something is posted that is not true, I will always take opportunities to correct any false statements. And about favors... well, we won't get into it. :huh:

Anyway... Go Sioux!

The only thing I have to say is the Alerus and UND have to work better together in the future, especially in the area of hanging UND signs and other things in the Al. You walk into that place and it has no appearance of UND anywhere. This doesn't make any sense to me and Dale Lennon has addressed this previously this year and stated he wanted to see the Alerus look like it is the home of the Fighting Sioux.

so you have never been wrong or posted anything that hasnt been true? i find that hard to believe. never made any predictions that were wrong? never made any comments that you thought were fact, but werent? IMO, message boards are full of non-facts. i made a mistake. you just went off the deep end a little in correcting me, considering the importance of the subject we were talking about.

ok,

in my opinion there is NO way that the BSA is better than the Hyslop.  While i will agree that both are basically crap facilities, Hyslop has a way better atmosphere and coziness to it.  i've seen quite a few UND-NDSU games in the BSA and there is absolutely NO atmosphere there when compared to Hyslop.  When the crowd gets going at the Hyslop, it can be very loud and home-friendly.  When UND finishes their new addition to REA, they will have the nicest facility in the NCC, and possibly the nation.  To compare Newman Field to Kraft isnt really feasible, Newman is just way better.  I think that the Alerus and Fargo Dome are pretty close.  Both have their ups and downs.  Aesthetically, Fargo Dome probably looks nicer because there isnt any tin showing.  But again, when Fargo is not full(it never is unless against UND)there can be a huge void left in there, and it can seem kind of empty.  I think the Alerus is perfect as far as size, because it doesnt look or sound as empty as it may seem. 

Go Sioux!!!

Atmosphere and coziness are subjective terms. I've been to both Hyslop and the BSA and IMO i think the BSA is cozier and has better atmosphere. I guess they tie.

I think we should just build a new Arena just like the REA and have bball and vball play in there. Then we can use the BSA strictly for practice.

Ask one of Minnesota's opponents last season: Alabama - Huntsville.

All southerners may not care about hockey (other than that Southeast Division of the NHL, or the 'yotes and Kings and Stars), but they do care about basketball and look where Sioux Basketball moves to next season.

Ask one of Minnesota's opponents last season: Alabama - Huntsville.

they averaged less than 2,000 fans a game last season in a stadium that seats 7,000 for a D1 sport that some consider to be the premiere college sport... i would say they don't care

When the people of Grand Forks voted for the Aroura (its original name for those that don't know), it wasn't necessarily going to be for UND football. Yes it could house football, but UND had never signed on with the project when it was voted on. The place was supposed to be an events/convention center that would be able to house football. The Alerus is fortunate to have Sioux football there. I would think UND is also fortunate, because this weekend we get home fb. That would have never happened if we were still outside.

The Alerus has a lot of work to do to make the place UND friendly. Lennon has a hard time convincing kids that its our homefield, because you can't tell unless it's game day. And our national title banner looks pathetic.

How much would it cost to adverstise on those rotating scoreboard ads? I can't believe they've never been able to fill all of those.

cheeringsiouxfromsmoggycali,

That's what I'm talking about. What's stopping the Alerus from telling UND that they have to pony up a lot more money to play inside? I don't know the exact financial info, but I'm fairly confident that three sold out concerts could make the Alerus more $$$$ than a season of UND football, including playoff games.

cheeringsiouxfromsmoggycali,

That's what I'm talking about. What's stopping the Alerus from telling UND that they have to pony up a lot more money to play inside? I don't know the exact financial info, but I'm fairly confident that three sold out concerts could make the Alerus more $$$$ than a season of UND football, including playoff games.

I think the Alerus gets most, if not all concessions during UND football. We all know that $3 for a 20 oz bottle of pop that cost 10 cents to make is rediculous. The Alerus could do great business with more concerts. This is what bugs me the most about them. For some reason they think people won't go to indoor concerts during the summer, so they don't schedule any. Then for the most part they choose to not schedule any during the fall. I guess the Fargodome is in the same bind as far as football.

IMO they have to stick with football. Sure concerts bring in more money, but they are unstable. You can't count on big name concerts the way fb is there year after year. Like someone said earlier, UND will just go back to Memorial if demands more money.

Hmmm Alabama Hunstville, Air Force Academy has a team... Is Chicago south of Omaha? If so, their NHL franchise historically has been very popular (currently not so much but if you knew the owner...). Las Vegas even has a hockey following, though it was for much more different circumstances (and also there is Ralph's connection there). Even Dallas folks come to see them play. St Louis too.

So yes, people do care about hockey. I wish it was more on the popular front. Can't stand basketball on Sportscenter. :silly:

FargoDome Vs. Alerus Center Advatage FargoDome

Basketball

Bison Sports Arena Vs. REA and the new REA arena - Advantage UND!!

Hockey

REA vs. The Fargo Coliseum --- HAAAAA!!!

Wrestling

Who gives a SH*T

Volleyball

Benson Bunker Fieldhouse Vs. New REA Sports Center - Advantage REA!

Well...n'uff said in the quote but let me expound...FargoBarn vs. Alerus - Yeah - you guys have the advantage in seats but in atmosphere??? NO WAY!! You can get 10,000 in a 19,000 seat stadium for any given game but 7000 in the AL is 10X the noise you can produce with a full house!!!

The BSA vs. The Full Ralph or the new REA Sports Center - WE can accomodate a small house crowd in the new arena (4000 or less) or they can move into the main arena and we can still kick your ass for atmosphere! The BSA has REALLY great mercury vapor lights that make the place look like a morgue for virutally any event ... guess we're still working on topping that! I would have thought you schmucks would have figured out by now UND is building up their FACILITIES while you chumps are scratching up a conference to play in and putting your facilities on the backburner. You'll find (or make) a conference in IAA and then try to raise MORE money to upgrade your facilities while we knock on the door with our premo ones in a few years. You won't have much choice but to let us in for competition sake and we'll be MILES ahead of you building-wise!! OHHH I forgot to mention the BENSON BUNKER FIELDHOUSE!!! VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!!! oops....forgot the REA Sportscenter AGAIN!!!

ps - wresting is for HOMOS