SiouxSports.com Forum

Why UND can't play NDSU

jimdahl

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really didn't expect our schedule to be a who's who of DI-AA football next year. But keep in mind Northern Colorado didn't have any home games against I-AA competition last year, so I thought having Cal-Poly come here was fantastic (they're a pretty good program and trounced DI UTEP last year). I expect we'll have about 4 or 5 DII teams on the schedule next year, but hopefully that will be down to 0 or 1 by 2005.

Duluth is on our schedule next year ...

Really?

However, there has been no official word on whether the Bulldogs will play North Dakota State, which is elevating its program to Division I-AA status. The Bison are searching for games since they will not be affiliated with any conference next season.

"My philosophy is to play Division II opponents," (new UMD coach Kyle) Schweigert said.

I would think Bubba should be worried about the game with Upper Iowa a prov d2 member (classified as non-d2 which hurts the SSI much more than even playing a IAA.. ask UNA :) I don't think a playoff berth for UMD is out of the question next year with 6 teams qualifying for the playoffs (regionally) and this game can not help their chances. I wouldn't think out-of-conference games with NSIC teams would be too difficult for UMD unless some sour grapes are involved

a link to upper iowa

While I agree with your point, the game with Upper Iowa obviously was scheduled long before Bubba arrived in Duluth.  He can only control what happens in the future, not what someone else had committed to in the past!

just in the NDSU game with UMD is off... can't wait for the UND-UMD conspiracy theories :)

just in the NDSU game with UMD is off... can't wait for the UND-UMD conspiracy theories :)

Conspiracy theories? :glare:

If you would look at the thread, I stated that Steve Hallstrom of W-NDSU- err... WDAY had said on Bison Feedback last week that the game was not likely to happen.

Then 'The Sicatoka' posted a link to the GF Herald (from TODAY'S EDITION) that quoted UMD's head coach (Bubba Schweigert) as saying that his philosophy was to play D-2 schools.

It's not like you broke some earth-shattering news. It was already expected here. Hello? :lol:

I would think Bubba should be worried about the game with Upper Iowa a prov d2 member (classified as non-d2 which hurts the SSI much more than even playing a IAA.. ask UNA :) I don't think a playoff berth for UMD is out of the question next year with 6 teams qualifying for the playoffs (regionally) and this game can not help their chances. I wouldn't think out-of-conference games with NSIC teams would be too difficult for UMD unless some sour grapes are involved

a link to upper iowa

I don't think Duluth has much of a chance at the playoffs at all next year. They lose a lot of good personel. They will be a middle of the pack(4-6) team in confeence next year IMO (1.UND, Omaha, St Cloud, USD, UMD, Augie, Mankato) . While I doubt Bubba had anything to do with the Upper Iowa game, I also think that UMD will need that game as far as confidence and simply getting a win goes.

I don't think Duluth has much of a chance at the playoffs at all next year. They lose a lot of good personel. They will be a middle of the pack(4-6) team in confeence next year IMO (1.UND, Omaha, St Cloud, USD, UMD, Augie, Mankato) . While I doubt Bubba had anything to do with the Upper Iowa game, I also think that UMD will need that game as far as confidence and simply getting a win goes.

My thoughts were that they could sweep augi, mankato, and usd (emphasize could.. although they have beaten MSUM 4 straight years (who hasn't) and USD 2/3), win their OOC games (CSP, Moorhead, and Upper Iowa.. a definite possibility) and "steal" a game against either UNO, UND, or SCSU (a long-shot I know but not completely out of the question.. as they are ramping up scholies and did compete well at the end of last season.)

Edited by somebison

That scenario is a definite possibility. UMD and St. Cloud will be an interesting matchup next year and beyond with Bubba and Hedberg, not to mention St. Cloud will have to retool a bit with out Heckendorf. I look for USD to be the surprise of the conference next year. They were a pretty young team this year, have a new regime in place, and all indications were that their FR RB was an absolute stud. They could end up third or fourth. Also, CSP will be tough for them to beat this next year. The Bison didn't see the real CSP, not that CSP would've won or even only lost by 20, but their QB who got hurt is one of the most exciting players I've seen on the D2 level, equatable to the Michael Vick of D2.

I agree, bisonguy. CSP in all their NSIC "Greatness" got punked out bigtime in the FargoDome. They could do NOTHING. But they did beat Winona :) . Even though SU may have not seen the :glare: real :lol: CSP, I don't think it would have mattered much anyway. NSIC teams are not prepared for the physicality that the upper-tier NCC teams bring to the table. That will probably change once the smaller DII schools get the scholarship limit lowered once again. Best of luck to UND--you ought to be able to run the table for at least another half decade.

In all seriousness, ndsubison.

Corella,

How is a QB that can't even complete 30% of his passes exciting? All the poor boy could do is try to run against the Bison D. Maybe his NSIC competition made him look better than he actually was.

I'm not sure of whom you are speaking, but their starting QB who was 2nd team all midwest region per D2football.com got hurt in the 1st or 2nd quarter, and played little if at all after that. He is an excellent player (174-300, 2528 yds, 16 tds, 480 rushing, rating of 120+), I recently saw him rated as the 12th best NFL QB prospect in the SO class, so I am not the only one who thinks he is an excellent player. If he only did complete 30% of his passes, everyone has a bad game or quarter in his case. If you based a player after seeing them play once a year then UND fans would consider Lamar Gordon an average NCC RB at best, but based on everything else he did we know better.

I'm not sure of whom you are speaking, but their starting QB who was 2nd team all midwest region per D2football.com got hurt in the 1st or 2nd quarter, and played little if at all after that. He is an excellent player, I recently saw him rated as the 12th best NFL QB prospect in the SO class, so I am not the only one who thinks he is an excellent player. If he only did complete 30% of his passes, everyone has a bad game or quarter in his case. If you based a player after seeing them play once a year then UND fans would consider Lamar Gordon an average NCC RB at best, but based on everything else he did we know better.

That's a very good point, Corella. It's nice to see some objectivity now & then.

GOBISON

siouxwho?

Corella,

I'm talking about McNear, the same QB you're talking about. If he is capable of greater things than what he showed at the Fargodome, all the more to him. He went 5-17, and it seemed like his decisions weren't very good. I thought the second string QB for CSP was much more intelligent and talented. It could have just been that day, though. :)