SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Hockey on VERSUS

GFG

Gopher fan here, no hard feelings, just on here because I like to talk hockey with people. Got some breaking news about hockey games on VERSUS this season. So far these four have been confirmed:

12/31 - BU @ Notre Dame

1/20 - Mich @ Notre Dame

2/10 - Minn @ Denver

2/24 - UND @ Denver

• Upvote 2

Gopher fan here, no hard feelings, just on here because I like to talk hockey with people. Got some breaking news about hockey games on VERSUS this season. So far these four have been confirmed:

12/31 - BU @ Notre Dame

1/20 - Mich @ Notre Dame

2/10 - Minn @ Denver

2/24 - UND @ Denver

I wonder why Versus wouldn't want Minn @ UND, that's easily the best match up in college hockey IMHO.

According to the zealots in the Rodentia fan base, that honor belongs to the "Border Battle" between Minnesota and Wisconsin. :silly:

Hmm. Not sure there is a healthy amount of hate between the Badgers and the Gophers as there is between the Sioux and Minny. Plus the Ralph is electric for that series, can't imagine why Versus wouldn't want to broadcast a game in the world's nicest hockey facility.

To be honest I think they made a small deal with Denver to have a couple of games televised and they picked the two home games of Denver that they knew would be the larger television draws. Wisconsin is our biggest rival, but UND is tied for biggest rival in hockey. I brought a couple of friends down to a Gophers football game this year and they wore sioux stuff because they thought they would get an uprise. I tried telling them people don't hate UND like UND fans hate Minnesota but they didn't believe me. They went through 7 hours of tailgating and the game yelling "Sioux Ya Ya" and stuff with only one person even acknowledging them, and that person just asked about the nickname lol. But of course, there's always that guy, who was wearing Badgers stuff there and was getting heckled endlessly.

Like I said, in the hockey world we're huge rivals, but hockey is only the third most popular sport at Minnesota so the majority of the minnesota fan base doesn't even acknowledge the UND rivalry

To be honest I think they made a small deal with Denver to have a couple of games televised and they picked the two home games of Denver that they knew would be the larger television draws. Wisconsin is our biggest rival, but UND is tied for biggest rival in hockey. I brought a couple of friends down to a Gophers football game this year and they wore sioux stuff because they thought they would get an uprise. I tried telling them people don't hate UND like UND fans hate Minnesota but they didn't believe me. They went through 7 hours of tailgating and the game yelling "Sioux Ya Ya" and stuff with only one person even acknowledging them, and that person just asked about the nickname lol. But of course, there's always that guy, who was wearing Badgers stuff there and was getting heckled endlessly.

Like I said, in the hockey world we're huge rivals, but hockey is only the third most popular sport at Minnesota so the majority of the minnesota fan base doesn't even acknowledge the UND rivalry

It's hard to believe that two putrid programs like Men's Basketball and Football are the most popular sport at Minnesota while Men's Hockey is third. I guess fans down there don't mind losing.

Hockey may be only the 3rd most well known Minnesota Gophers sport on a national basis, but it is far and away the most popular sport among the U of M fanbase. Case in point, you don't see tickets for Gophers football and basketball games going for 2 and 3 times face value on StubHub like you do Gophers hockey. In all fairness, I will say that their football tickets have become quite a bit more desirable in recent years but that is due to the venue more than the actual product on the playing field. Gopher fans, like Sioux fans, love their hockey team first and foremost.

UND fans all assume hockey is the most popular there, but it's not even close. Football is by far the most popular (even tho we suck big time, being in the Big Ten still keeps it popular with the opponents), and basketball is quite a bit more popular than hockey as well. It is like that at all the Big Ten schools with those three sports. Even at Michigan football and basketball are more popular than hockey. I, along with most gopher fans who grew up in grand forks and other northern areas, love hockey the most followed very closely by football and basketball, but that just isn't the case down in the cities.

It's hard to believe that two putrid programs like Men's Basketball and Football are the most popular sport at Minnesota while Men's Hockey is third. I guess fans down there don't mind losing.

Our basketball program is pretty good actually. We're consistently in the top 25 and we were ranked #11 last year, including beating North Carolina, until we lost both of our point guards and spiraled down hill. Football on the other hand...well...lol.

It is hard to believe, even I can't believe it sometimes, but it's the truth.

How many season ticket holders at TCF or Williams Arena also hold tickets at Mariucci or vice versa? Would bet that it is very very few. Unlike Badger fans, who seem passionate about everything red, Gopher fans just seem to choose one sport as the pain is just too intense if they followed two.

How many season ticket holders at TCF or Williams Arena also hold tickets at Mariucci or vice versa? Would bet that it is very very few. Unlike Badger fans, who seem passionate about everything red, Gopher fans just seem to choose one sport as the pain is just too intense if they followed two.

After taking my third trip to Madison one very impressive thing is how everyone wears red. Even if they aren't going to the game. They love their sports and show it. They also aren't the jerks that you get when going to Minnesota games. I heard one comment directed at me the whole weekend and it was "sue's a girls name."

After taking my third trip to Madison one very impressive thing is how everyone wears red. Even if they aren't going to the game. They love their sports and show it. They also aren't the jerks that you get when going to Minnesota games. I heard one comment directed at me the whole weekend and it was "sue's a girls name."

Before the Twins and Vikings arrived, there must have been a lot more passion for the Gophers than there is now. Not only is Columbus absolutely nuts about Ohio State, but the rest of the state is too (much like Madison and Wisconsin). In Minnesota, the rural areas don't have much passion for the Gophers either, as the Gophers almost seemed viewed as a Metro school rather than a state school. In Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska, the whole state cares about their school's sports - in just about everything.

• Upvote 1

Before the Twins and Vikings arrived, there must have been a lot more passion for the Gophers than there is now. Not only is Columbus absolutely nuts about Ohio State, but the rest of the state is too (much like Madison and Wisconsin). In Minnesota, the rural areas don't have much passion for the Gophers either, as the Gophers almost seemed viewed as a Metro school rather than a state school. In Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska, the whole state cares about their school's sports - in just about everything.

Is that because they more consistently win though (or said another way, are the Gophers popularity problems a result of continued lack of competitive teams rather then a competitive sports market)? Washington-Seattle has no problem with popularity despite the huge fan base for the Seahawks and Mariners.

Thought now that I do more research, interestingly, there are very few "big time schools" in states' largest population centers.

I think the biggest problem is that there are so many sports choices in Minnesota for such a small populated area. Vikings, Wild, Twins, Lynx, Gophers, St. Cloud, Duluth, etc. There are far too many teams for a state with a population of about 5 million. Especially when you combine that with the fact that all the major ones are in one city.

Schools like Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota, and to be honest about 95% of major athletic universities, are not located in population centers where there are many more teams to choose from. That is what I think takes away from the popularity of U of M sports.

If you were there for the 2007 NCAA Regional Final you may have a different impression of the fan base. I respect Wisconsin for their teams, but not for their fans.

If you were there for the 2007 NCAA Regional Final you may have a different impression of the fan base. I respect Wisconsin for their teams, but not for their fans.

I agree, i've always found Wisconsins fans to be terrible.

• 2 weeks later...

TV Schedule has been announced:

Dec. 31 Boston University at Notre Dame, 7 p.m.

Jan. 6 Dartmouth at RPI, 7:30 p.m.

Jan. 13 Minnesota Duluth at Nebraska-Omaha, 7:30 p.m.

Jan. 20 Michigan at Notre Dame, 7:30 p.m.

Jan. 27 Yale at Harvard, 7:30 p.m.

Feb. 3 Cornell at RPI, 7:30 p.m.

Feb. 10 Boston College at Vermont, 7:30 p.m.; Minnesota at Denver, 10 p.m.

Feb. 17 Dartmouth at Yale, 7:30 p.m.

Feb. 24 Boston University at Vermont, 7:30 p.m.; North Dakota at Denver, 10 p.m.

March 2 Denver at Nebraska-Omaha, 7:30 p.m.

Hockey East Tournament

March 9 Quarterfinals 7:30 p.m.

March 16 Semifinals 5 and 8 p.m.

March 17th Finals 8 p.m.

Wow, good deal for Hockey East having its conference tournament televised. Also, Denver with three games televised.

TV Schedule has been announced:

Dec. 31 Boston University at Notre Dame, 7 p.m.

Jan. 6 Dartmouth at RPI, 7:30 p.m.

Jan. 13 Minnesota Duluth at Nebraska-Omaha, 7:30 p.m.

Jan. 20 Michigan at Notre Dame, 7:30 p.m.

Jan. 27 Yale at Harvard, 7:30 p.m.

Feb. 3 Cornell at RPI, 7:30 p.m.

Feb. 10 Boston College at Vermont, 7:30 p.m.; Minnesota at Denver, 10 p.m.

Feb. 17 Dartmouth at Yale, 7:30 p.m.

Feb. 24 Boston University at Vermont, 7:30 p.m.; North Dakota at Denver, 10 p.m.

March 2 Denver at Nebraska-Omaha, 7:30 p.m.

Hockey East Tournament

March 9 Quarterfinals 7:30 p.m.

March 16 Semifinals 5 and 8 p.m.

March 17th Finals 8 p.m.

Wow, good deal for Hockey East having its conference tournament televised. Also, Denver with three games televised.

So is this just going to be televising basically Hockey East games. If so LAME!