SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

I thought it was June 30th, not June 1st, that was the deadline.

The June 30th deadline is usually the deadline for teams to change to another conference. The June 1st deadline is for NCAA notifications of changing claissificaitons (DII to DI with a conference sponsor or FCS to FBS with a conference sponsor).

It's interesting that the ASun and Summit are both now at 7 full DI's. The ASun will likely lose a team to two to the Big South, but maybe not until fall of 2014. Those two conferences will have to battle where they meet (Indiana/Kentucky/Tennessee) or maybe merge.

The June 30th deadline is usually the deadline for teams to change to another conference. The June 1st deadline is for NCAA notifications of changing claissificaitons (DII to DI with a conference sponsor or FCS to FBS with a conference sponsor).

Ahhh. Thanks.

It's interesting that the ASun and Summit are both now at 7 full DI's. The ASun will likely lose a team to two to the Big South, but maybe not until fall of 2014. Those two conferences will have to battle where they meet (Indiana/Kentucky/Tennessee) or maybe merge.

So what is the timeline for the NCAA to tell them your AQ has been revoked? I heard there was a 2 year grace period. Did that start?

So what is the timeline for the NCAA to tell them your AQ has been revoked? I heard there was a 2 year grace period. Did that start?

There are several ways that a men's basketball AQ can be revoked:

1. Not having seven full DI members

2. Not having two other men's team sports that qualify for an AQ (with six teams)

3. Not sponsoring enough other sports (four teams qualify as sponsoring even if they aren't AQ's)

The Summit's grace period started last July 2012 when they didn't have enough baseball teams after ORU left. That grace period ends next July 2014, but can get a year extra if they show that they will be back in compliance by July 2015 (the Summit argues that Omaha will be DI then). So the Summit is already in their grace period, and really only has one more year unless they add a DI baseball team to make progress. If then don't have another baseball team by next summer, the argument that Omaha is going to save them is null and void as they still would be at only five teams.

If one more full DI team leaves, then another another grace period begins on not having seven full members. The Summit can be on the clock for multiple conferences rules violations.

• 1 month later...

A long article on how Creighton got a Big East bid. Creighton's AD didn't believe that Creighton was even on the Big East short list because Omaha was too far west and in a smaller market. The AD Rasmussen was also torqued for how much work the President made the Blue Jay athletic department do to figure out if the Big East would work financially, thinking the work was all wasted.

http://www.omaha.com...to-the-big-time

It appeared to Rasmussen that even if the Big East went to 12 schools, Creighton was an outsider. He admits he became frustrated with all the time his department would devote to exploring all the hypothetical scenarios.

Lannon did not disagree with his athletic director's assessment. Still, both men early on reached the same conclusion: If a bid should come, Creighton would be crazy to turn it down.

• 3 weeks later...

SEC Commish Slive on NCAA:

Dennis Dodd@dennisdoddcbs1m

"We have supported and continue to support NCAA....However we will continue to push for changes that are in the best interests of (players).

Dennis Dodd@dennisdoddcbs2m

This is amazing. Slive now calling out NCAA governance structure. Getting right up to the edge of addressing breaking away.

Dennis Dodd@dennisdoddcbs2m

Slive questions worth of NCAA board of directors. Wow. The same board who penalized Penn State.

Stewart Mandel@slmandel1m

Holy cow. Slive's State of the SEC address has morphed into a detailed critique of the NCAA's current governance structure.

Retweeted by Dennis Dodd

• 2 weeks later...

Like most people on here (minus Herd) thought, the 4th division is coming very soon. The Big 5 conferences are separating and going to play for their own title. They will stay under the NCAA banner for academic/regulation purposes but be in their own world for football.

Like most people on here (minus Herd) thought, the 4th division is coming very soon. The Big 5 conferences are separating and going to play for their own title. They will stay under the NCAA banner for academic/regulation purposes but be in their own world for football.

Are all BSC teams at the max for scholarships? Or are teams like UNC and Idaho State not at the FCS maximum?

For anybody in the WDAY listening area, Dom Izzo has been interviewing FCS conference commissioners lately. He had the MVC commish on last night, the CAA commish tonight. I think he said the Southland commish is tomorrow. Big Sky commissioner is the day after that I think. Izzo's show is on 970 AM at 6:30 in the evening.......................

My take away from Jim Delaney as his desired outcome: (B1G Media Day)

1 FBS Champion (Same as today)

Top Tier FBS 85 Scholarships & Stipends

Low Tier FBS 85 Scholarship (no stipend unless than can afford)

That is very little change desired by Delaney, as he understand their responsibility to all of college FB. The Group of 5 is not in unison on this topic obviously as some want to move away from the Lower Tier FBS.

My take away from Jim Delaney as his desired outcome: (B1G Media Day)

1 FBS Champion (Same as today)

Top Tier FBS 85 Scholarships & Stipends

Low Tier FBS 85 Scholarship (no stipend unless than can afford)

That is very little change desired by Delaney, as he understand their responsibility to all of college FB. The Group of 5 is not in unison on this topic obviously as some want to move away from the Lower Tier FBS.

Even the MVFC Commissioner realizes that something major is probably going to happen that will change college football.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/407524/publisher_ID/1/.

Missouri Valley commissioner thinks FBS shakeup may be in the cards

“They made it clear, the ‘big five’ commissioners are demanding some serious change in the NCAA governance in order to guarantee they can spend their vast resources as they wish,” she said. “The other five FBS commissioners are trying to appease their ‘big five’ brethren and do all they can do to keep a seat at the table.”

If the top five FBS leagues do pull away, the future of the second level of Division I football, Viverito said, could include the bottom five FBS conferences and FCS schools.

Wow, those comments sound very similar to what has been said on this site for months. If even the MVFC commissioner has publicly admitted it, when are you going to see the light? There are no guarantees that the big conferences will separate, but they are going to force something major to change.

My guess is that Delaney is being careful with his comments to protect the Big 10. But they have made their position very clear when they decided to stop scheduling games against the FCS. And the Big 10 has been a leader in maximizing revenue. So they will put more emphasis on bringing in more cash than "doing what is best for college football".

Here's more of this "above the line; below the line" talk that some have tried to tell me is all non-sense.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/22972020/aresco-american-could-be-above-the-line-in-division-4

Look out:

What some are calling "D4" is coming and the cutoff line is very, very high. Outside of Big Ten, Big XII, Pac 12, ACC, and SEC need not apply.

The rest?

Can you say, "mad scramble"?

Didn't I say about a decade ago that all the motion from DII to DI by the big DIIs would trigger a similar move by the big DIs (to something new and just for them)?

<patting self on back>

Here's more of this "above the line; below the line" talk that some have tried to tell me is all non-sense.

http://www.cbssports...e-in-division-4

Look out:

What some are calling "D4" is coming and the cutoff line is very, very high. Outside of Big Ten, Big XII, Pac 12, ACC, and SEC need not apply.

The rest?

Can you say, "mad scramble"?

Didn't I say about a decade ago that all the motion from DII to DI by the big DIIs would trigger a similar move by the big DIs (to something new and just for them)?

<patting self on back>

Buttfootball, surely the big schools will be altruistic and do what is in the best interest of college football rather than do something that will give them more profit. :hypocrite: They would never do something that could hurt "important" schools like NDSU. :devil:
  • Upvote 3

The MVFC commissioner? Ya, that would be my primary source for Information about the group of 5, as would anything that Doug Fullerton has to say.

And . . . What does NDSU, an FCS FB school have to do with this? Absolutely zero. The lower tier of FBS and the FCS are 22 scholarships apart, and won't be at the same level anytime soon. You think the Big Sky is going to magically merge with the MWC to to play for the same championship when they are miles apart in dollars and scholarships? How many in the BSC could afford to go up in scholarship? Very few. You think the MWC is going down? Ha, ha, ha . . .

And . . . Who is scrambling for position? There is the Top 5 FBS conf, and the bottom 5. The movement to the top 5 is done. Who is scrambling? Scramble to get into the bottom 5, why? If there is a separation, who wants to be in the Lower FBS Tier? Not very sexy if the top would split, other than an I occasional game vs the top.

Lots of misinformation in this thread. Hopefully people understand the facts and look past the misinformation.