SiouxSports.com Forum

I've seen it all now ....

The Sicatoka

Last year, when he was a freshman, I told my friends to watch how he shoots; commenting on the accuracy, and varying beauty of the goals he already scored. This year, with his tenacity up a notch, I assumed his point production would curb while he rounded out his game. However, I knew to watch him once and awhile, and that he would be a good player.

:silly:

I consider myself to be a pretty fine talent scout...albeit lazy. I'm not out looking for guys, but when we play a team I comment on a player to watch for the other team, and who I think was the breakout (sioux) star of the game afterwards. Now it's to the point where they ask me who they should watch when the teams skate out before the game.

After selfishly tooting my horn for a few seconds there, I want to point out that Prpich is a good player, and has the ability to score some pretty goals. That's about it...Good for him...and good for the team.

It appears Sioux fans' prayers in the offseason about having balanced scoring & consistent goaltending were answered (knock on a looooooot of big ol' wood). Last year, everything rode on 1 line & it often bit us in the heinie. Surprising the difference a season makes. My only small concern is the timeliness of when they peak: CC rolled through the league last year &, in hindsight, were maybe pooped out come playoff time. Time will tell-I'll live in the moment, be optimistic & let the chips fall where they may...

Did Blais have to nominate Prpich? I find it interesting that he would do it after going out of his way in the Friday interview to say that Prpich is not a goal scorer and his job is defense.

Wait a minute... if Prpich's job is defense, why isn't he a defenseman? I think Prpich scoring is just an oversight by the powers that be and the fans. His job was checking and that's it.

It's nice to be wrong in this fashion. Although, I've been a big fan of Prpich since the fight, I think it's nice that he isn't a Scott Parker or (no offense, forecheck) anothe Wookiee.

My favorite players have always been the guys that work the hardest. These tend to be guys that don't score a bunch of goals. They're the ones shadowing, checking, digging out the puck, and just causing havoc. What a delicious treat when these players score. Wish I could have seen Perp's third goal.

It appears Sioux fans' prayers in the offseason about having balanced scoring & consistent goaltending were answered (knock on a looooooot of big ol' wood). Last year, everything rode on 1 line & it often bit us in the heinie. Surprising the difference a season makes. My only small concern is the timeliness of when they peak: CC rolled through the league last year &, in hindsight, were maybe pooped out come playoff time. Time will tell-I'll live in the moment, be optimistic & let the chips fall where they may...

Well, look at it this way. Our powerplay still sucks, when it comes to point production, so as long as that doesn't get great all of a sudden, we have all year for them to continue to get better at it, right? That ought to take care of the "peaking too early" problem. :silly:

Just in case you wished to know, Mike Prpich is now USCHO's offensive player of the week in addition to WCHA's offensive player of the week. Here's the link:

http://www.uscho.com/potw/?data=1m

Woo.. Finally UND is represented, but I would have never thought it would be Mike. Then again, who cares. Prpich rules. :silly::ohmy::)

And Offensive means goal output, not offending ;)

I just posted something similar on USCHO, but I thought Prpich was one the best Sioux players on the ice late last year, especially during the NCAA regionals. I could not believe the improvement he made from the first time I saw him at Mariucci to what I saw late in the year.

If you keep up this kind of analysis on Sioux players, Greyeagle, some of those posters on USCHO will question your loyalties.

I myself already know you are a closet UND fan ;)

I believe what Dean meant by that is Mike is a penalty killer and goals are secondary.

I like the game/role Big Mike plays, he held pretty boy Vanek to no points when UND played the Dirty Gophers. Now some have called him dirty but I think gritty is more accurate.