SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Players like Bellmore don't come out of ND very often. I would bet that there are a lot of Hendrickson types (a little short but athletic and tough and possessing great instincts) in this area that just need to be developed. I doubt anyone was jumping for joy when he committed but after a couple years they couldn't keep him off the field because he kept making plays and forced their hand. There are always Goertz type players coming out of Wisconsin and Edwards could be better than Boyle or Benjamin ever were if he can get their mental edge for understanding the game. I'm sure we miss on a player or two because of going elsewhere but we've seemed to have made up for it with players like Kuksa (hope he'll be ok) and Reyes and Norberg. It's not like we haven't hit on players from ND though. Iverson is a stud and Barton and Carr have started down the stretch.

This is a stupid statement look at all of the contributing north Dakota kids on ndsu's team that are as good or better than Bellmore. Beck, national champ MVP, Smith receptions leader two years in a row, Plankers starting as a freshman, Grothman beast of a fullback, those are current starters and the cupboard is full of great North Dakota talent after that. Und just is not getting the players right now, not that the talent isn't there.

• Upvote 4

This is a stupid statement look at all of the contributing north Dakota kids on ndsu's team that are as good or better than Bellmore. Beck, national champ MVP, Smith receptions leader two years in a row, Plankers starting as a freshman, Grothman beast of a fullback, those are current starters and the cupboard is full of great North Dakota talent after that. Und just is not getting the players right now, not that the talent isn't there.

I don't think you understand how good Bellmore was. When he moved to DE UND's run defense was great. He has the all time record for blocked FGs and basically won us a game with that skill at Central Arkansas with 2 blocked FGs, one being a late game winning attempt. When he had a season ending injury as a senior the run defense was never the same. Unfortunately you failed to read what I wrote and just filled in your own stuff. I said players like Brock don't come out of ND very often because they just don't. It's a fact. He more than just contributed, he was a game changer and the cornerstone of the defense that allowed fewer than 1000 total rushing yards in a season. You obviously missed it or just wanted to be a contrarian too much but I talked about how there are probably alot more Dan Hendrickson or you could insert Travis Beck type players in ND that are a little short or small but are tough smart and are just plain good at football that get missed by D1 schools. These guys were both unheralded recruits and turned out to be stars. Try reading a little more carefully next time.

Here's an interesting question that was brought up to me: When was the last time we got to watch a UND head coach that wasn't somehow related to (worked for) UND when they were hired for the head coaching position?

Well, Dale Lennon did not work for UND when he was named Head Coach, he was at the University of Mary. Roger Thomas did not work for UND when he was named Head Coach, he was in the CFL. Pat Behrns and Gene Murphy were both assistants here before getting the head job.

I don't see the problem with hiring a coach that has spent time at the program before. Obviously it worked very well in the cases of Lennon and Thomas. Not so much with Behrns and Mussman. Gasparinni, Blais, and Hakstol have all done pretty well. I don't think not having any ties to the University should be a prerequisite for employment. Just so long as they are qualified. There is nobody on the current staff that is qualified.

Mussman getting the head job was a unique situation. There was no A.D. at the time to conduct a national search. Lennon endorsed Mussman when he left. Hence, he got the job. Honestly though, if there were an A.D. in place at the time, my guess is that Mussman still would have been a leading candidate for the job given that he was a key part of a very successful era of UND football and the backing of Lennon.

Lennon is on the hot seat at Southern Illinois right now, he had no ties to SIU. Everyone on this board was throwing a fit when Brian Idalski was hired over Steve Johnson. Idalski's done ok I'd say.

Point is, it doesn't really matter where prospective coach cut his teeth. It is going to be pretty hard to know if the right hire was made until a few seasons go by regardless.

• Upvote 1

I don't think you understand how good Bellmore was. When he moved to DE UND's run defense was great. He has the all time record for blocked FGs and basically won us a game with that skill at Central Arkansas with 2 blocked FGs, one being a late game winning attempt. When he had a season ending injury as a senior the run defense was never the same. Unfortunately you failed to read what I wrote and just filled in your own stuff. I said players like Brock don't come out of ND very often because they just don't. It's a fact. He more than just contributed, he was a game changer and the cornerstone of the defense that allowed fewer than 1000 total rushing yards in a season. You obviously missed it or just wanted to be a contrarian too much but I talked about how there are probably alot more Dan Hendrickson or you could insert Travis Beck type players in ND that are a little short or small but are tough smart and are just plain good at football that get missed by D1 schools. These guys were both unheralded recruits and turned out to be stars. Try reading a little more carefully next time.

no you don't get it they, at ndsu, all have two pretty rings and are integral parts of that system, not one man wrecking crews which you are looking for. I would say you want is a qvale type player from Williston that went to Nebraska,turned out to be a bust. you want super stars ndsu wants system players.

no you don't get it they, at ndsu, all have two pretty rings and are integral parts of that system, not one man wrecking crews which you are looking for. I would say you want is a qvale type player from Williston that went to Nebraska,turned out to be a bust. you want super stars ndsu wants system players.

Given the vast disparity right now between the programs and head coaches, UND is not going to be in a position to get many of the best ND players the way it used to in the 1990's and early 2000's when it got Kleinsasser, Moore, Callahan, Howe, Schmidt, Chappell, etc. IMO, UND needs to focus on getting the under-the-radar types, such as Dan Hendrickson.

Given the vast disparity right now between the programs and head coaches, UND is not going to be in a position to get many of the best ND players the way it used to in the 1990's and early 2000's when it got Kleinsasser, Moore, Callahan, Howe, Schmidt, Chappell, etc. IMO, UND needs to focus on getting the under-the-radar types, such as Dan Hendrickson.

YOU get it, there is plenty of fantastic talent in North Dakota, UND got it in the 90's Ndsu is getting it now.

Apparently the only word you read was game changer. Read the whole post or don't respond. Your responses don't even make sense because you didn't actually read my post.

Exactly, I put that on the coaching staff. Then in the post-game presser Muss makes excuses saying "we're supposed to continue to play, but typically they blow those dead..."

"Typically"? What happened to playing 'til the whistle instead of assuming the ref will call it dead? Obviously, UND cannot advance the ball since it went past the LOS, but I counted at least 4 UND players that could've just walked over & touched the ball dead before the UNC player picks it up. They gave up. That's an unprepared special teams unit & that's on the coaches. (In the 10th game of the season)

I don't see the problem with hiring a coach that has spent time at the program before. Obviously it worked very well in the cases of Lennon and Thomas. Not so much with Behrns and Mussman. Gasparinni, Blais, and Hakstol have all done pretty well. I don't think not having any ties to the University should be a prerequisite for employment. Just so long as they are qualified. There is nobody on the current staff that is qualified.

Mussman getting the head job was a unique situation. There was no A.D. at the time to conduct a national search. Lennon endorsed Mussman when he left. Hence, he got the job. Honestly though, if there were an A.D. in place at the time, my guess is that Mussman still would have been a leading candidate for the job given that he was a key part of a very successful era of UND football and the backing of Lennon.

Lennon is on the hot seat at Southern Illinois right now, he had no ties to SIU. Everyone on this board was throwing a fit when Brian Idalski was hired over Steve Johnson. Idalski's done ok I'd say.

Point is, it doesn't really matter where prospective coach cut his teeth. It is going to be pretty hard to know if the right hire was made until a few seasons go by regardless.

Obviously if a new coach is hired he's not getting promoted from this staff...it seems rare for a head coach to leave voluntarily and not say hey hire my buddy (a coordinator).

Its not a requirement to have had worked for UND but just pointing out in the history of UND football it appears to surely help.