SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Sioux Nation>>>>>>>>CMSioux.

Well said and not conveyed in a PM.

There is no easy out or fix with this mess of a FB program but I see no way Faison retains Muss. Unfortunately the 8-3 season was a huge abberation against a weak schedule but for Muss with his contract situation came at the prefect time for him. That co-champ GW banner will set this program back at least another 3 years.

Went to our 2nd VB match yesterday before the hockey game. Have watched Hardee the HC with the players during games. Very similar "bench" style to Hak...commands respect, doesn't say much but knows how to get his point across and passes the eyeball test with his presence and demeanor as a HC. Am very impressed with him as a HC. A UND VB player got her 1000th kill yesterday and he immediately called timeout so she could be recognized. Classy move. I know some will say this is just VB but each sport at UND deserves a respected, quality and competent HC...especially a cornerstone athletic program like FB.

• Upvote 4

Okay, I have sat back and read this forum for well over a year. Time has come for my response and opinion. My nephew currently plays on the team. I have followed Sioux football for many, many years. I feel I have some pretty honest opinions to offer up. First, "geaux-sioux", I WILL NOT give you my nephew's name because I know you will ask.

First, addressing earlier comments about players actions.....yes, there have been several boys recently cited for MIP and no, there have been no repercussions. Yes, one player had to sit out a game this year because he basically quit during fall camp and went home. Upon his return he had his ass kissed and is treated with kid gloves. The players have not been drug tested once this season! My understanding is that a test without warning would most likely nail a few boys. It is shocking to me that the program hasn't randomly tested once all year.

Mussman is definitely not a motivator...period. He has not given an emotional speech in 5 years. Everything is a business approach. Emotion plays a huge part of the game and I can guarantee that every player would confirm that Mussman is absolutely NOT an emotional leader. He has also surrounded himself with a bunch of sub par coaches ( maybe to protect himself). Schluesner is awful! He seems to be so worried about getting the ball to Hardin and Jackson that he can't think outside of that box. I mean who doesn't know Jackson is running the ball when he lines up back there. How many times can you pound 150 pound Miller up the middle? Garmin must have a special place in Mussman's heart although his fumbling has finally minimized his play. I'm sure he's a great kid, but he's five foot nothing and goes down too easily. Sadly, you have a young, inexperienced O-coordinator leading two young QB's.

The defense is not much improved over last year. I still have not seen a team who tackles so poorly. It's embarrassing. And, I haven't seen a worse group of defensive backs on any one team. Yet as bad as they are, they act like they are all "all conference". Maybe part of their issue is not realizing that they are very bad. The defense is also very under-sized and it shows all too often.

Coaching in general needs to be improved. Too many wasted time outs (and many have come some to get Jackson set up to run his play), too many penalties, too many dropped passes, too many turnovers, and too many mental mistakes. If you watched today's game, you saw a punter who dropped a perfect snap, panicked, and took off running. He has ample time to kick the ball but instead was tackled short of the first down. He obviously has not been coached how to handle that situation. Coaching can't be blamed for everything, but you have to start somewhere. These are their recruits....

Personally, I do think its time to fire Muss and start fresh. He has proven nothing and is not the leader these boys need. His staff needs to be shown the door as well. It is nothing personal, the program needs new direction. They need a coach who demands discipline and accountability. They need assistants who are respected and aren't worried about being "one of the guys". They need to focus recruiting North Dakota hard. Mr. Faison, show some guts and find a proven leader.

Spot-on, honest post that I agree 100% with. Everything I've heard perfectly lines up with what you said.

Sioux Nation>>>>>>>>CMSioux.

Well said and not conveyed in a PM.

There is no easy out or fix with this mess of a FB program but I see no way Faison retains Muss. Unfortunately the 8-3 season was a huge abberation against a weak schedule but for Muss with his contract situation came at the prefect time for him. That co-champ GW banner will set this program back at least another 3 years.

I think we need new leadership, but I don't think this program should be set back at all if the right guy is hired. If a good coach is acquired, then it better not take him 3 years to get a winning record, or else Faison hired the wrong guy.

I think we need new leadership, but I don't think this program should be set back at all if the right guy is hired. If a good coach is acquired, then it better not take him 3 years to get a winning record, or else Faison hired the wrong guy.

I hope you are right. I guess that all depends on the talent left in the locker room...which I question. Lots of gaps to fill in in all 3 phases regardless of who the new HC is.

Okay, I have sat back and read this forum for well over a year. Time has come for my response and opinion. My nephew currently plays on the team. I have followed Sioux football for many, many years. I feel I have some pretty honest opinions to offer up. First, "geaux-sioux", I WILL NOT give you my nephew's name because I know you will ask.

First, addressing earlier comments about players actions.....yes, there have been several boys recently cited for MIP and no, there have been no repercussions. Yes, one player had to sit out a game this year because he basically quit during fall camp and went home. Upon his return he had his ass kissed and is treated with kid gloves. The players have not been drug tested once this season! My understanding is that a test without warning would most likely nail a few boys. It is shocking to me that the program hasn't randomly tested once all year.

Mussman is definitely not a motivator...period. He has not given an emotional speech in 5 years. Everything is a business approach. Emotion plays a huge part of the game and I can guarantee that every player would confirm that Mussman is absolutely NOT an emotional leader. He has also surrounded himself with a bunch of sub par coaches ( maybe to protect himself). Schluesner is awful! He seems to be so worried about getting the ball to Hardin and Jackson that he can't think outside of that box. I mean who doesn't know Jackson is running the ball when he lines up back there. How many times can you pound 150 pound Miller up the middle? Garmin must have a special place in Mussman's heart although his fumbling has finally minimized his play. I'm sure he's a great kid, but he's five foot nothing and goes down too easily. Sadly, you have a young, inexperienced O-coordinator leading two young QB's.

The defense is not much improved over last year. I still have not seen a team who tackles so poorly. It's embarrassing. And, I haven't seen a worse group of defensive backs on any one team. Yet as bad as they are, they act like they are all "all conference". Maybe part of their issue is not realizing that they are very bad. The defense is also very under-sized and it shows all too often.

Coaching in general needs to be improved. Too many wasted time outs (and many have come some to get Jackson set up to run his play), too many penalties, too many dropped passes, too many turnovers, and too many mental mistakes. If you watched today's game, you saw a punter who dropped a perfect snap, panicked, and took off running. He has ample time to kick the ball but instead was tackled short of the first down. He obviously has not been coached how to handle that situation. Coaching can't be blamed for everything, but you have to start somewhere. These are their recruits....

Personally, I do think its time to fire Muss and start fresh. He has proven nothing and is not the leader these boys need. His staff needs to be shown the door as well. It is nothing personal, the program needs new direction. They need a coach who demands discipline and accountability. They need assistants who are respected and aren't worried about being "one of the guys". They need to focus recruiting North Dakota hard. Mr. Faison, show some guts and find a proven leader.

Dead on!!! Perfectly said.

OK, I can dial up the response time back up to about an hour on the email auto-reply generator program that I wrote for Gene. (Licensing from that funds my UND Hockey season tickets ;) ).

Seems the Gene and he NDSU president aren't always replying to emails, or if they do, polite.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/416559/

In an Aug. 27 email, NDSU President Dean Bresciani wrote, with the subject line “Dance Team Drama: “As you may know, they and the parents are on the warpath … again.”

Amen, Well said.

Went to our 2nd VB match yesterday before the hockey game. Have watched Hardee the HC with the players during games. Very similar "bench" style to Hak...commands respect, doesn't say much but knows how to get his point across and passes the eyeball test with his presence and demeanor as a HC. Am very impressed with him as a HC. A UND VB player got her 1000th kill yesterday and he immediately called timeout so she could be recognized. Classy move. I know some will say this is just VB but each sport at UND deserves a respected, quality and competent HC...especially a cornerstone athletic program like FB.

The volleyball team and the men's Basketball team seem to have found their stride in the BSC.

Anyone going to address the elephant in his post?

To follow GT's lead...I'm sure it was handled by the justice system.

Trust me when I say our FB program has much bigger issues than the elephant you speak of.

To follow GT's lead...I'm sure it was handled by the justice system.

Trust me when I say our FB program has much bigger issues than the elephant you speak of.

Much bigger issues than off the field run-ins with the law? That certainly wasn't the response from the fans on this board this summer when the shoe was on the other foot.

Coming from the program that has "suspended players for missing class", I would have expected a swift and measured response to such heinous action as a college student drinking.

Much bigger issues than off the field run-ins with the law? That certainly wasn't the response from the fans on this board this summer when the shoe was on the other foot.

Coming from the program that has "suspended players for missing class", I would have expected a swift and measured response to such heinous action as a college student drinking.

Go away and give GT his halo back...we don't need 40+ more pages of this garbage. Not saying I agree with nothing being done if this info is factual because Muss should have done something FB related as punishment but how many downs has Beck missed this season?

I think we can agree each university hasn't done things ideally to satisfy all fans.

Go away and give GT his halo back...we don't need 40+ more pages of this garbage. Not saying I agree with nothing being done if this info is factual because Muss should have done something FB related as punishment but how many downs has Beck missed this season?

I think we can agree each university hasn't done things ideally to satisfy all fans.

Whoa, easy man. Nobody is putting a halo on anyone. GT is no different than most ADs when these things happen. I'm just holding true to what I have said all along. These things happen at EVERY SCHOOL in the country, and punishment is handed out internally without suspensions in most cases.

Just find it ironic that when the shoe is on the other foot, there isn't an uproar and phrases like loss of institutional control don't get thrown out.

Weird how none of this has been reported on. Guess media does play a role in public perception, contrary to the beliefs that were cited by most on this board this summer.

He is on a short leash, knows his job is on the line, and is picking a paycheck over discipline. Doesn't seem to be to complicated of an answer. While this team doesn't have the talent to be a conference champion, it is talented enough to be an above .500 team and competitive in every game. It seems to me the team has quit on the coach, which if true, is quite dissapointing.

The NDSU thread was 100+, and the word hypocrites comes to mind.

He is on a short leash, knows his job is on the line, and is picking a paycheck over discipline. Doesn't seem to be to complicated of an answer. While this team doesn't have the talent to be a conference champion, it is talented enough to be an above .500 team and competitive in every game. It seems to me the team has quit on the coach, which if true, is quite dissapointing.

If this was NDSU's discipline problem, would you brush it aside so easily? Herd is right, the word hypocrites definitely is coming to mind.

Sounds like it is being addressed the exact same way the NDSU MIP's this spring were addressed.

Precisely. But, without all of the UND fans clamoring of course.

If the accusations of MIP w/o team sanction are true it is more reason to ... Fire Muss.

(There. I said it. Happy Bison fans? Beware however, because now it's been said and will be fired your direction also.)

What do you mean "now will be fired in your direction also"?

Again... how many downs has Beck missed so far.

Muss should have had some discipline if true but shop lifting isn't the same crime as murder. Each "crime" has different consequences but Muss dropped the ball...again.

In the words of the wise Sicatoka..."Fire Muss".

Again... how many downs has Beck missed so far.

Muss should have had some discipline if true but shop lifting isn't the same crime as murder. Each "crime" has different consequences but Muss dropped the ball...again.

In the words of the wise Sicatoka..."Fire Muss".

You're missing my point completely or more likely avoiding it.

My point isn't that UND didn't suspend the players, as I've said, this happens at every school. So stop bringing Beck up, it has no relevance in the discussion. My point is that UND fans aren't outraged by the fact that the players weren't suspended. It gets brushed under the rug when it's your players, but is on the front page of every discussion board and blog when it's NDSU players.