SiouxSports.com Forum

Ugly College Football Uniforms, 2011 Edition

The Sicatoka

There've been some ugly college football uniforms in recent years. (We're looking at you Oregon.) Given this track record and some of the messes witnessed during opening weekend I think we need to compile a Top (Bottom?) Ten list for this season.

The Top Ten so far, by my estimation:

1. Maryland, Sep 5, versus Miami*

2. Boise State, Sep 3, versus Georgia**

3. Georgia, Sep 3, versus Boise State**

4. Oregon, Sep 3, versus LSU - the base uniform was reasonable, but the lettering/numbering was a font that seemed distorted

*this state flag inspired disaster makes Batman's for "Two Face" seem one-dimensional

*front-runner for Fashion Flop Bowl of 2011.

I didn't mind Boise's unis at all. I actually really liked their white helmets with the white Bronco logo on them.

I'd rank them differently if the logo was on both sides of the helmet.

Only Penn State can get away with a blank white side and only the Steelers can get away with a single logo (one side only).

I'm going to give NDSU's new home yellow jersey an honorable mention here. The first time I saw it I thought it was a practice jersey. Very, very plain. An outlined number might have kept them out of honorable mention status.

UND's green jersey gets a mention here too. You shouldn't see how much the guys are sweating on a football jersey. There were some guys with three shades of green: dry jersey, wet jersey, helmet.

I'm going to give NDSU's new home yellow jersey an honorable mention here. The first time I saw it I thought it was a practice jersey. Very, very plain. An outlined number might have kept them out of honorable mention status.

UND's green jersey gets a mention here too. You shouldn't see how much the guys are sweating on a football jersey. There were some guys with three shades of green: dry jersey, wet jersey, helmet.

LOL very true! How did our uniforms get so bad all of a sudden?

Maryland's uniforms wouldn't be bad if they had just white helmets and shoes. But the crazy helmets and shoes were way too much.

I didn't mind Boise's unis at all. I actually really liked their white helmets with the white Bronco logo on them.

The helmets were the part I didn't like.

And I didn't mind Oregons. They seemed sedated to their usual flashy ways.

I believe Notre Dame at Michigan will be wearing some throwbacks this weekend to make everyone nostalgic.

I have to wonder who makes these decisions about so many multiple uniform combinations (ala Oregon). It's pretty sad when you can't recognize a team by uniform at first glance.

And nearly as bad to me is not using an obvious option when you have it. Case in point: Minnesota has pee-yellow helmets. Why didn't they wear them at USC to help out their first-ever start at QB guy? Instead, every hat on the field (UM and USC) was that bloody stool brown color.*

*Yes, I just called the colors used by UM and USC "pee-yellow" and "bloody stool brown". :D

I have to wonder who makes these decisions about so many multiple uniform combinations (ala Oregon). It's pretty sad when you can't recognize a team by uniform at first glance.

And nearly as bad to me is not using an obvious option when you have it. Case in point: Minnesota has pee-yellow helmets. Why didn't they wear them at USC to help out their first-ever start at QB guy? Instead, every hat on the field (UM and USC) was that bloody stool brown color.*

*Yes, I just called the colors used by UM and USC "pee-yellow" and "bloody stool brown". :D

Obviously Nike has a big hand in determining Oregon's uniform choices. I kind of looked NDSU's yellow jerseys, (they're definitely not gold) even though I'm in the minority on that one. My pick for worst of the week is definitely Maryland.

The current UND football uniforms are a joke. I hope the athletic department gets new uniforms to help kick-off the Big Sky era next season.

You can blame Nike and their people for this. Granted, I assume there are "upper" options available, but UND went with the basic Nike design.

I know I'm in the minority in saying that I liked all the new uniforms of the major schools- it's very refreshing. I liked the Maryland uniform the best. In regards to our uni's- I do agree that they do change considerably in color, once sweated in. I actually liked them when they came out of the tunnel. Thought they looked good, but as the game progressed with different shades I was less ecstatic. I once new this, now I fail to remember, but there is an official green for the UND Athletics- it's a number - what number that is I don't recall. I'm sure someone knows this, but I'm drawing a blank. But the one thing I do remember about researching this many years ago is that the green is a bit brighter than some of the apparel that is available out there. There is a lot of Sioux apparrel out there that to me- seems too dark. Too much like the NDSU green. I don't much like it. I like our green to be far more distinctive than theirs.

I know I'm in the minority in saying that I liked all the new uniforms of the major schools- it's very refreshing. I liked the Maryland uniform the best. In regards to our uni's- I do agree that they do change considerably in color, once sweated in. I actually liked them when they came out of the tunnel. Thought they looked good, but as the game progressed with different shades I was less ecstatic. I once new this, now I fail to remember, but there is an official green for the UND Athletics- it's a number - what number that is I don't recall. I'm sure someone knows this, but I'm drawing a blank. But the one thing I do remember about researching this many years ago is that the green is a bit brighter than some of the apparel that is available out there. There is a lot of Sioux apparrel out there that to me- seems too dark. Too much like the NDSU green. I don't much like it. I like our green to be far more distinctive than theirs.

There is a Sioux Green, and you're right - some of the green shirts etc are much darker - However, Sioux Green does not resemble the green on the football uniforms.

But the one thing I do remember about researching this many years ago is that the green is a bit brighter than some of the apparel that is available out there. There is a lot of Sioux apparrel out there that to me- seems too dark. Too much like the NDSU green. I don't much like it. I like our green to be far more distinctive than theirs.

This has always been something that annoys me from a marketing standpoint. When you go into Wal-Mart all of their UND gear is an ugly mint green. The bookstore on campus has mostly darker forest green clothing. It would be nice to see a more consistent bright Kelly Green used for all UND merchandise.

As far as uniforms, I can't say that any of UND's are anything special. I liked the black/white/green diamond ribbing that we used to use on the hockey and football jerseys. It would be nice to see the athletic department come up with a common branding as far as uniforms and carry it throughout all of the sports.

Anyone see that finish to Michigan & Notre Dame game. Night game at the big house? It was Wacky & Wild- would have been a fun atmosphere to be a part of tho. What did you think of the throwback uni's?

I'm a huge Notre Dame fan so of course I liked Notre Dame's retros. But having said that, I do kinda prefer the blue over the green. I thought Michigan's retros were really nice.

Edit: Exciting game to watch, but it stinks Notre Dame lost.