SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Meetings

GeauxSioux

Answered my own question:WAC expansion

Don't see UND mentioned anywhere!

From the you just cannot make it up category and in typically Bisonville fashion - CAS is wrong again - UND was included in a WAC expansion announcement an associate member in Womens Swimming and Diving - thanks for the link Dakota Fairways.

Big Al to the resue again!! First he gets the bill passed and now he is going to persuade the NCAA to change it's position. It's almost like he is contemplating a run for statewide office!!!????

When's he gonna meet with all the BSC presidents?!

If Al is such an idiot, why did this bill pass? I'll tell you why. . . . because everyone in the legislature with any ties to UND voted for the bill, that's why. Those people that voted for this bill had the same opinion that 95% of people on this board had, "what a great idea for UND, a state law seals the deal"!!

So, now Al Carlson's and idiot? Does that make 95% of the people on this board idiots, and a majority of the state legislators that support UND idiots too? I guess so.

Within two weeks everyone on this board went . . . from great idea, to Al Carlson a bumbling idiot. Boy is it easy to talk out of both sides of your mouth. Introducing a bill that everyone thinks is a bad idea, does not get passed.

If Al is such an idiot, why did this bill pass? I'll tell you why. . . . because everyone in the legislature with any ties to UND voted for the bill, that's why. Those people that voted for this bill had the same opinion that 95% of people on this board had, "what a great idea for UND, a state law seals the deal"!!

So, now Al Carlson's and idiot? Does that make 95% of the people on this board idiots, and a majority of the state legislators that support UND idiots too? I guess so.

Within two weeks everyone on this board went . . . from great idea, to Al Carlson a bumbling idiot. Boy is it easy to talk out of both sides of your mouth. Introducing a bill that everyone thinks is a bad idea, does not get passed.

What is Al Carlson your boyfriend or something? The difference between Al Carlson and the 95% of the people on this board is that Al had a bad idea and the means to carry it out without thinking it out first. He put the other legislators with ties to UND in a spot where if they didn't vote for the bill it would look like they didn't support UND or the wishes of their constituents. I personally don't blame Al, he is merely the product of a terrible education.

What is Al Carlson your boyfriend or something? The difference between Al Carlson and the 95% of the people on this board is that Al had a bad idea and the means to carry it out without thinking it out first. He put the other legislators with ties to UND in a spot where if they didn't vote for the bill it would look like they didn't support UND or the wishes of their constituents. I personally don't blame Al, he is merely the product of a terrible education.

If it's so obvious to you and everyone else that this was a terrible idea, why did it have support on this board, in the state legislature. Did Al have a gun to everyone's head? The only person that I heard speak out against this bill was the UND president, and most of you wanted to tar and feather the guy with his comments that you percieved to be anti-UND, and anti-nickname. Those people lined up behind Al and walked right off the cliff. Now you want to criticize Al Carlson? That's rich. I don't give a crap about Al Carlson, but its easy to see when people are talking out of both side of their mouth.

If it's so obvious to you and everyone else that this was a terrible idea, why did it have support on this board, in the state legislature. Did Al have a gun to everyone's head? The only person that I heard speak out against this bill was the UND president, and most of you wanted to tar and feather the guy with his comments that you percieved to be anti-UND, and anti-nickname. Those people lined up behind Al and walked right off the cliff. Now you want to criticize Al Carlson? That's rich. I don't give a crap about Al Carlson, but its easy to see when people are talking out of both side of their mouth.

Why did his terrible idea have the support of the people on this board? Because we love our school's history and tradition and wanted to preserve it. We were under the impression that the NCAA would make new concessions if faced with state political pressure. For a while it looked like the legislature was going to take the charge on this and actually make some progress. This turned out not to be true. On a separate note, I honestly can't understand the hostility that Bison fans have for a team that is no longer their rival? Surely there is something news worthy going on over on the SDSU or USD boards.

Why did his terrible idea have the support of the people on this board? Because we love our school's history and tradition and wanted to preserve it. We were under the impression that the NCAA would make new concessions if faced with state political pressure. For a while it looked like the legislature was going to take the charge on this and actually make some progress. This turned out not to be true. On a separate note, I honestly can't understand the hostility that Bison fans have for a team that is no longer their rival? Surely there is something news worthy going on over on the SDSU or USD boards.

Al Carlson had your support for this bill. Then it turned out to be a negative for the nickname, and all the sudden you are an Al Carlson basher. You don't see the hypocrisy in this? Are you kidding me.

Herd, I challenge you to go back and re-read the posts during this whole process. I don't think you'll find many here who played both side of the fence. Many here who are essentially saying now this was ill conceived by Al and others, if well-meaning, were posting here before the legislative vote saying this was destined to cause problems. I challenge you to find more than those you can count on one hand who urged Al & Co. along then turned on him now.

Better yet, stay on Bisonville and comment on things that concern you and NDSU if you can't bring anything constructive to our board.

Herd, I challenge you to go back and re-read the posts during this whole process. I don't think you'll find many here who played both side of the fence. Many here who are essentially saying now this was ill conceived by Al and others, if well-meaning, were posting here before the legislative vote saying this was destined to cause problems. I challenge you to find more than those you can count on one hand who urged Al & Co. along then turned on him now.

Better yet, stay on Bisonville and comment on things that concern you and NDSU if you can't bring anything constructive to our board.

I responded the to the bashing because it's clear that Carlson had good intentions, and a great majority of legislators had the same opinion as he did also supported the bill, also with good intentions. Their judgement, all of them, turned out to be poor, but they had good intentions.

It would be refreshing to hear, "Man, I was wrong about this bill, this whole thing really backfired". Instead, it's negativity, bashing, blaming, etc, etc. Just looking for a little honesty and integrity about the real situation. I dont' know what this has to do with ndsu, nothing that I can see.

• Upvote 1

This is better. Because Bison fans love it when something bad happens to UND and the media jumps on it whether we lose in the Frozen Four, lose to Sioux Falls, or possibly get kicked out of the Big Sky. It makes them feel better about themselves on someone else's mishaps....Its okay NDSU....what goes around comes around.

I responded the to the bashing because it's clear that Carlson had good intentions, and a great majority of legislators had the same opinion as he did also supported the bill, also with good intentions. Their judgement, all of them, turned out to be poor, but they had good intentions.

The road to hell is paved with "good intentions", -Samuel Johnson, Karl Marx, etc. And UND may be traveling Carlson Highway very soon ... In any event, Carlson had no "good intentions". He's pissed the State Board of Higher Education runs the show, not him. And if he's truly oblivious to the damage his legislation could have caused, and is causing, the residents of Fargo should be embarrassed that he represents them.

It would be refreshing to hear, "Man, I was wrong about this bill, this whole thing really backfired". Instead, it's negativity, bashing, blaming, etc, etc. Just looking for a little honesty and integrity about the real situation. I dont' know what this has to do with ndsu, nothing that I can see.

Al's intentions were not good, thy were selfish and political. Make no mistake, Al was not trying to "help" UND, he was trying to screw with the SBoHE. The nickname bill was just one part of an overall effort by many like-minded types to weaken the board. I've been fairly consistent on this since the beginning. Al Carlson is no friend of UND (or any other University in this State).

If Al is such an idiot, why did this bill pass? I'll tell you why. . . . because everyone in the legislature with any ties to UND voted for the bill, that's why.

Well, actually, the Grand Forks delegation - with close UND ties - didn't.

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your delusions. Carry on.

Al's intentions were not good, thy were selfish and political. Make no mistake, Al was not trying to "help" UND, he was trying to screw with the SBoHE. The nickname bill was just one part of an overall effort by many like-minded types to weaken the board. I've been fairly consistent on this since the beginning. Al Carlson is no friend of UND (or any other University in this State).

So, all the state legisltors who also voted for the bill had bad intentions and were trying to screw things up for und? So the posters on SS who thought the bill was actually a vote in support of und also really had bad intentions and were trying to screw things up for und and big sky conference. You don't make any sense.

So, all the state legisltors who also voted for the bill had bad intentions and were trying to screw things up for und? So the posters on SS who thought the bill was actually a vote in support of und also really had bad intentions and were trying to screw things up for und and big sky conference. You don't make any sense.

I made no comment or implication regarding the hearts and minds of any ss.com posters, any inference to the contrary is your own.

I thought my post was fairly clear. No matter, this should help.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Means_to_an_end

Not all Sioux fans, even on this board, supported the nickname legislation before all of this with the Big Sky came up. I emailed my legislators and asked them to vote against it. And that is why I am so mad about what is going on now.

I know that it would draw a firestorm, but I almost wish the UND administration and the delegation from GF that spoke out against this legislation and said that it would impact out transition would come out and say "told ya so."

5+ decades of this circus has been long enough. It is time to move on and focus on the true mission of the University of North Dakota.

Well, actually, the Grand Forks delegation - with close UND ties - didn't.

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your delusions. Carry on.

So, how do you explain the overwhelming majority in support for this bill if the top und supporters where not? Clearly it was the pro-nickname people who jumped on board with this law being a end all to the ncaa problem. This was the bag of goods sold to the fervent nickanme supporters. Most saw a vote for the law as as a positive for retaining the nickname.

Yes, there are und supporters who are not pro-nickname, including the president who opposed the law, but aparently they were the minority.

Not all Sioux fans, even on this board, supported the nickname legislation before all of this with the Big Sky came up..... It is time to move on and focus on the true mission of the University of North Dakota.

There was a hearty discussion by those who favor the Sioux name but opposed the bill but many on this board did support it. I agree, its time to move on.

Someone already pointed out that this is false. I think it is important to add that State Sen. Mac Schneider, who was a part of the UND football team that won a national title in 2001, was very outspoken is his opposition to the nickname law. You can read the his committee testimony here.

Someone already pointed out that this is false. I think it is important to add that State Sen. Mac Schneider, who was a part of the UND football team that won a national title in 2001, was very outspoken is his opposition to the nickname law. You can read the his committee testimony here.

Yep, Herd is throwing around personal wishes as facts AGAIN. "95-percent of the people on this board" is nowhere near the correct number! If anything, during the run-up to the state House and Senate votes, the number of people commenting on this board about the proposed legislation tilted slightly against it (number or posters, not posts. The save the nickname supporters may have the edge in total posts). While most of us want to retain the nickname, many of us saw this coming and said so. A review of the posting strings would show that, but it's easier for Herd to blow smoke and claim facts. Disgusting!

Here is my thought back then, at first I didn't like it as I was accepting the retirement of the Sioux name, then listening to this bill I thought maybe its a way to get back at the NCAA I mean its a law and you cannot be forced to break it. But listening to Max Schneider and Connie Tripplet discussing why they are against voting for it, it didn't make sense then, BUT it makes a lot of sense now. They were ahead of the times discussing problems with scheduling (which we are seeing now with SDSU not wanting to play us after 2013), and the effect of the student athlete (which if we are barred from DI conferences it will effect them as we won't have sports). You sometimes go with what your heart says and not what your brain says. My heart said find a way to save the name I love the name its the best, but the brain says its time for the name to go.

Looks like NDSU supporters are making there rounds to all the BSC member's message boards to make the case of why UND should be denied membership. Of course they fail to mention that it was an NDSU graduate who put UND in this position. I honestly cannot fathom why supporters of a school we do not play would be so malicious towards UND. Of course everybody's favorite troll LakeBison is leading the charge, does anybody have a link to the story about him sending a threatening letter to a legislator. I think it's high time we start a campaign to make his life a living hell!

http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24441&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

Looks like NDSU supporters are making there rounds to all the BSC member's message boards to make the case of why UND should be denied membership. Of course they fail to mention that it was an NDSU graduate who put UND in this position. I honestly cannot fathom why supporters of a school we do not play would be so malicious towards UND. Of course everybody's favorite troll LakeBison is leading the charge, does anybody have a link to the story about him sending a threatening letter to a legislator. I think it's high time we start a campaign to make his life a living hell!

http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24441&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

Its funny to see the responces on Bville about Lakes's charge around the Big Sky message boards. They are embarrassed because he sounds like a fool. Not everyone at NDSU want UND to fail but you have some that wish UND would that way they have the monopoly in Division I sports.