SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

I think 2006 UND would have had a great chance at beaing NDSU. I mean if UND can go into the UNI Dome and beat UNI then why not...NDSU hasn't seem to win in that dome.

I agree, that would have been a great game, I know how good that 2006 Sioux squad was.

Keep in mind how good the 2006 Bison were though. Some have suggested, I am one of them, that the 2006 team was better than the 2011 National Championship team.

Edit: WTF, why do I have a warn status bar on my account? Really? Haha.

I agree, that would have been a great game, I know how good that 2006 Sioux squad was.

Keep in mind how good the 2006 Bison were though. Some have suggested, I am one of them, that the 2006 team was better than the 2011 National Championship team.

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/17132-a-few-issues/

I think 2006 UND would have had a great chance at beaing NDSU. I mean if UND can go into the UNI Dome and beat UNI then why not...NDSU hasn't seem to win in that dome.

Idk, UNI lost 4 games that year. But who knows, maybe. NDSU has also only played in there....twice. Would not have minded if the Walker teams would have played there.

Let's see in the last 10 years the two teams played every time they lined up I am quite positive that most su fans were more than a little confident that they were going to win the game - guess what - that's why they play the game. su's motivation for the game to continue was they had the deck stacked in their favor - more scholarships, recruiting at a higher level, of course they wanted the game to continue it was the only way they could see how to end the 10 years of domination by UND, of course the other way to end it was to leave the conference and the division.

Let's see in the last 10 years the two teams played every time they lined up I am quite positive that most su fans were more than a little confident that they were going to win the game - guess what - that's why they play the game. su's motivation for the game to continue was they had the deck stacked in their favor - more scholarships, recruiting at a higher level, of course they wanted the game to continue it was the only way they could see how to end the 10 years of domination by UND, of course the other way to end it was to leave the conference and the division.

Exactly. Can you blame RT for not wanting to play NDSU when it not only hurt their playoff chances (only wins agains D2 teams count in the playoff commitees eyes) but they would have cleary had the advantage due to doublt the scholarship players. So all this talk about UND ending the rivalry that is at the root of most Bison fans anger towards UND and not wanting to play them again is just rediculous.

Thats why I didn't say UND would win the game. NDSU was really good in 06 and 07 too. UND crushed DI Southern Utah in 2007 so back to back years of beating a DI team while in DII proved UND belonged in DI (IMO). I don't think UND had a good chance at beating NDSU last year and for sure in 2010. UND has been improving every year with recruiting in key areas especially at QB, and this is "the" year that UND starts to make some real noise in DI. National title appearance (doubt it) playoff appearance (maybe), suprising some teams who think we are just "another DII team that moved up" (definately!!). 2015 will be a good judgement where this UND team ranks whether we are with the good (Montana's App St) the bad (Southern Utah, UC Davis, Indiana State,) and the ugly (UNC, Idaho St, Missouri State). I don't think the bad teams are bad but the saying good, the bad, and the ugly sounds better than the good, the average, and the ugly.

Exactly. Can you blame RT for not wanting to play NDSU when it not only hurt their playoff chances (only wins agains D2 teams count in the playoff commitees eyes) but they would have cleary had the advantage due to doublt the scholarship players. So all this talk about UND ending the rivalry that is at the root of most Bison fans anger towards UND and not wanting to play them again is just rediculous.

When was the last time a DI team played at a DII team? Would NDSU travel to Grand Forks in 2005, and 2007? That right there is another reason why this rivalry would have been stopped by NDSU.

I agree with you and I think most level-headed Bison fans do as well. Where the anger comes in is when UND fans accuse NDSU of not wanting to play the game now when the situation is reversed. We say well you were the ones who stopped the rivalry and that cascades into all the BS rhetoric spewing from both sides.

The irony of it is UND was doing what was best for UND back then, and NDSU is doing what is best for NDSU right now and it pisses the other side off even though they are doing the exact same thing.

I agree with you and I think most level-headed Bison fans do as well. Where the anger comes in is when UND fans accuse NDSU of not wanting to play the game now when the situation is reversed. We say well you were the ones who stopped the rivalry and that cascades into all the BS rhetoric spewing from both sides.

The irony of it is UND was doing what was best for UND back then, and NDSU is doing what is best for NDSU right now and it pisses the other side off even though they are doing the exact same thing.

Except the reason for not playing is not the same. UND did not want to play NDSU because it hurt their playoff changes. That was the primary reason. The reason NDSU fans say they shouldn't play is because they would rather have an FBS game or a home game as opposed to playing an FCS game on the road.

Both teams are not going to give up a lot. Basically by scheduling it every other year at rotating sites, every 4 years both schools will have to either lose a home game or not play an FBS game. So both schools will have to decide which is more important, a home game or an FBS game. But that decision only has to me made every 4 years. Not to much to ask for.

Except the reason for not playing is not the same. UND did not want to play NDSU because it hurt their playoff changes. That was the primary reason. The reason NDSU fans say they shouldn't play is because they would rather have an FBS game or a home game as opposed to playing an FCS game on the road.

Both teams are not going to give up a lot. Basically by scheduling it every other year at rotating sites, every 4 years both schools will have to either lose a home game or not play an FBS game. So both schools will have to decide which is more important, a home game or an FBS game. But that decision only has to me made every 4 years. Not to much to ask for.

The reason for not playing is essentially the same, just manifesting itself in different ways. At the root of it, each side is doing what it perceives to be in it's best interest.

Understand that it is GT's job to run a viable athletic department, if the UND game helped NDSU more than it hurt, NDSU would have it on the schedule already.

The reason for not playing is essentially the same, just manifesting itself in different ways. At the root of it, each side is doing what it perceives to be in it's best interest.

Understand that it is GT's job to run a viable athletic department, if the UND game helped NDSU more than it hurt, NDSU would have it on the schedule already.

So I guess the real question in the debate of "Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?" is will both schools benefit from it. Taylor had mentioned an "every other year" option a few years back, and Faison has now said that option will work as well. So if you look at the actions done by the AD's at both schools, two men that obviously look into the all aspects of it more than you and I do because it is their job, you can assume that it is in the best interests of both schools. So whether you are for or against it, the AD's at both schools apparently think it is beneficial for their respective school and athletic department.

Yet another Moo U fan who doesn't understand the value of tv marketing. I guess it's understandable, as the bizun have never had much of a following on tv. Based on your attitude towards the rivalry, I'm gonna guess you're around 19 and didn't grow up in the RRV.

I'm 37, grew up in central ND and LOVED the rivalry. But that time has passed. I think we should play in the play offs WHEN (not if for either team) we both get there. At this point I still contend that we should go our separate ways.

• Upvote 1

I'm 37, grew up in central ND and LOVED the rivalry. But that time has passed. I think we should play in the play offs WHEN (not if for either team) we both get there. At this point I still contend that we should go our separate ways.

Agree.............

NDSU has made it a goal not to schedule lower division teams. Their fans rip on UND for playing SD School of Mines, Sioux Falls, etc. Do you really think that NDSU you schedule a D2 team every year instead of playing an FBS team to make money? UND did not want to play NDSU because beating a D1 team hurt their playoff chances in D2. NDSU would have cancelled the game eventually because they would rather make money playing an FBS team. So UND had their reasons, and eventually so would have NDSU. You can blame UND for "ending the rivalry" NDSU fans are the ones that don't want it started again!! If you were so mad in 2004, this is your chance to get it back now than we are on equal playing field. No more excuses!!

But would it have really ended? NDSU has been playoff eligible for 4 years IIRC, UND has been transitioning for 5 years. There wouldn't have been a period where NDSU would have had any negative affect by playing UND by my calculations (and I may be wrong) so I don't see them cancelling the game at that time.

For those saying that UND costs less to schedule, I'm pretty sure that UND will want more than a tank full of gas for the trip to Fargo.... in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want what other schools get for coming here (I've seen $200k thrown around quite a bit) or even more since it is a premium game that NDSU should be able to charge more for thereby negating the positives.

The other advantage of scheduling softer D1 teams early in the season is that many times they are just a full contact extension of fall training. Yes, we can get beat, but the odds are lower by scheduling a non-rival (or former rival). We also get a chance to field test some of our 2nd string guys in this situation. This is not likely to be something we would be able to enjoy playing against UND.... too much pride on the line on both sides.

Sorry, my post is all over the place... kinda got carried away.

When was the last time a DI team played at a DII team? Would NDSU travel to Grand Forks in 2005, and 2007? That right there is another reason why this rivalry would have been stopped by NDSU.

NDSU started transitioning in 2004, therefore the above years didn't matter as they (NDSU) was not eligible for post season play anyway.... and therefore it didn't matter if they played UND as a D2 team. After that UND started their transition, making them a D1 team so that wouldn't have hurt NDSU either as I understand it. Had UND moved up OR not dropped us (and I understand why they did, I really do) from their schedule we would still be continuing the rivalry.

I think it'd be nice to get it back at some point. I would like UND to do something at D-I before they schedule it, but it is a nice, close opponent with some fun history. I imagine the first meeting will probably occur in the playoffs though...in the Fargodome ;)

NDSU started transitioning in 2004, therefore the above years didn't matter as they (NDSU) was not eligible for post season play anyway.... and therefore it didn't matter if they played UND as a D2 team. After that UND started their transition, making them a D1 team so that wouldn't have hurt NDSU either as I understand it. Had UND moved up OR not dropped us (and I understand why they did, I really do) from their schedule we would still be continuing the rivalry.

True those years wouldn't matter except its odd for an FCS teams to travel to a DII teams, but in 2008 NDSU was playoff eligible and UND was a non-counter DI team so NDSU would only have had 10 DI teams to play against for a spot at getting 7 wins for the playoffs..so that could be another situation where the rivalry could've ended or GT would have just sucked it up and look forward to a full 11 DI team schedule in 2009.

For those saying that UND costs less to schedule, I'm pretty sure that UND will want more than a tank full of gas for the trip to Fargo.... in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want what other schools get for coming here (I've seen $200k thrown around quite a bit) or even more since it is a premium game that NDSU should be able to charge more for thereby negating the positives.

If the games are scheduled as a home and home series it is doubtful that either visiting team would get paid. Usually, the home team keeps all of the revenue for that game as their payment. It's possible that they might get some travel expenses, but would then pay it back the next game. UND would not get paid nearly what NDSU is paying those other teams to make the trip to Fargo.

If the games are scheduled as a home and home series it is doubtful that either visiting team would get paid. Usually, the home team keeps all of the revenue for that game as their payment. It's possible that they might get some travel expenses, but would then pay it back the next game. UND would not get paid nearly what NDSU is paying those other teams to make the trip to Fargo.

In that case it still makes my point about not being a money making proposition... especially on the years that the Bison would travel north when we could either schedule a cupcake home game and make revenue OR travel to another non conference game that is not a home and home and get paid to do so.

In that case it still makes my point about not being a money making proposition... especially on the years that the Bison would travel north when we could either schedule a cupcake home game and make revenue OR travel to another non conference game that is not a home and home and get paid to do so.

If you go back and read some of the pages in the 40s in this forum, you'll see that idea has already been refuted. NDSU wouldn't have to pay a team $250k to play in the Fargodome and they could increase ticket prices for the UND game compared to a game against Whocares State University.

That is the problem with your logic. You are focusing on getting the attention of people within the region, but the comparisons you are making - using Coke and Budweiser, the Super Bowl - have NATIONAL coverage. Do you honestly think there would be more "eyeballs" on NDSU and UND for the rivalry game than the FCS title game?

Exactly. My parents are lifelong ND residents and casual football fans. Growing up I know for a fact that they never watched/cared about the NDSU/UND games.... sure they may have caught a few minutes of them when I was watching them in the living room, but they never went out of their way to watch a game. They did watch the DII championship games however and this year they were glued to the FCS Championship game at a local bar with dozens of other people who I know are not die-hard Bison/Football fans. The title game garnered HUGE statewide attention from people who normally didn't even care about college football. UND vs NDSU would bring in a few more casual fans to watch on TV than a non-conference unknown team would but I just don't see it being the "OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! The Bison and Sioux are playing!!!!!!!!!!!" event that UND is hyping it as, though it will be bigger than NDSU is downplaying it as.