SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

UND hasn't won a conference title in the FCS. Winning the Great West....hardly anything special. We thought it was a great thing too, Bison06 played on those teams I think, and is probably very proud of what they did, but using that as a barometer apparently doesn't really work, considering NDSU struggled in the first few seasons of MVFC play. It should also be noted, that those NDSU teams were exceptional and probably would have competed well in any conference in the FCS. That is where I am proud of those teams, not because they won a conference against other transitioning schools.

I never once said it couldn't happen to NDSU, the fact that it happened to EWU was rather strange. They nearly beat UW and then proceeded to fall off the map until later in the season once the schedule got a little bit more reasonable.

If UND really is a team built for the playoffs and is a team that won't take long to show that they are more along the lines of an NDSU rather than a UNC then why do you care if my scheduling philosophy is wait until you prove it? Surely that shouldn't be a major issue then to wait a couple of seasons before scheduling you guys?

And once again, pointing to Division II trends doesn't necessarily work. Just because UND's last 15 years of Division II (got extremely watered down towards the end) were successful doesn't mean it will be an excellent team/program. It worked for NDSU, it failed badly for UNC. Why do you automatically assume you are going to be some world-beater of a team when you have very little to go on? I happen to think UND will at some point be towards the top of the BSC. I think most people assumed Northern Colorado would though too.

Look at it this way, why would I want UND on my schedule right now, when A.) they looked bad against Drake, B.) they looked bad against Sioux Falls, C.) they got pounded into the ground by Idaho(awful FBS team), and D.) they nearly lost to Northern Colorado(winless in your new conference). I have said it once, I will say it again, show that you are worth giving up a home game for, and then we can talk about arranging something. I don't see what is unreasonable in that.

The reason you guys struggled is because your QB play was garbage and your pass defense let you down at times. We have the QB situation taken care of and i guess we'll see about the pass defense

The reason you guys struggled is because your QB play was garbage and your pass defense let you down at times. We have the QB situation taken care of and i guess we'll see about the pass defense

Who is this quarterback that makes you think that the QB situation is taken care of?

Winning the Great West is "hardly anything special"? Tell that to the players from the bison team that won a title in that league that earned them RINGS, and gave them permission to enter the "champions room" or whatever its called at NDSU. The room that (previously) only national champions could enter. Your ignorant, fictional posts are at least consistent. Just wish you'd stick to one login so everything wouldn't have to be repeated. Your lack of awareness of the history of UND/NDSU is also comical when portraying yourself as an expert. 1992 was not the beginning of time.

I don't have more than one login. Though I got one or two banned last year ;) . I am happy that those players won a lot of games. The reason I think those teams were exceptional isn't because of what they did in the Great West. I appreciated them for multiple FBS wins, and some other big wins...but mostly just not losing games. NDSU beating SUU, Poly, Davis, etc. weren't what I was pumped about those seasons. It was when they beat Ball St., Central Michigan, Georgia Southern, SHSU, and Minnesota.

My "lack of awareness of the history" is comical? Sure it might be. 1992, guess who some of the great football teams were? Syracuse, Florida St., Washington, Notre Dame, Washington St., NC State., Colorado. 20 years later, none of them are overly relevant. Notre Dame and Florida St. can be good, but both are shadows of what they used to be.

I'd say both are up the air. Though the QB situation would seem to be either fixed, or on its way to being fixed.

Do you really thing that GT has the same standards for what OOC games NDSU schedules than you and other Bison fans do? I certainly hope not. Sure, your stock is pretty high right now. But remember, players come and go and a National Championship program can be a 3 win program in 2 seasons!!!

NDSU says they want to OOC home games and a road FBS game every year. Go ahead and be the arrogant team who won't go on the road to play any OOC FCS games. I don't think that they want the reputation of the new kid on the block team who thinks they are bigger than they really are who won't go on the road to play OOC games.

Sure seems like GT has some pretty lofty standards...being the "arrogant team" is fine by me. We have two road OOC's scheduled in the next few years I believe, with Montana and Montana St. Someone just mad that I don't think NDSU should put you on the schedule yet?

What's with this "we" crap? You are just a fan with too much time on his hands, nothing more.

would it make you feel better if I said "NDSU"? Yeah, I have a lot of time on my hands. I got surgery last week. Do you get on people who agree with you for saying "we" as well?

Who is this quarterback that makes you think that the QB situation is taken care of?

Braden Hansen is going to tear it up, I've seen enough of him to know that. He has enough targets to spread the ball around to and has a good run game to draw the defense in.

Why is it arrogant to work towards a team's personal view of an ideal schedule? UND is doing the same thing.

I am open to doing the game as long as the terms are beneficial to both sides. Given the games are being talked about for 3 and 5 years from now, I think the timing is right. For the Bison fans that need UND to "prove" itself at the next level before we schedule a home and home, I have no doubt that will happen before 2015.

I am excited for these games and am looking forward to them.

Now this is a post I can respect. I don't get this UND need to be at NDSU's level first or prove they are "worthy" to grace the Fargodome turf. GT wanted every other year, every other year is now available in 2015. I say start with a simple home and home and in 2017 when the clock hits zero at the Alerus Center see if both teams want to do this again.

So where do all of the UND fans in here think they deserve to be ranked in the BSC? It sounds like you think you deserve to be treated like Montana and Montana State. Does that mean you feel it's a toss up between you three on who wins the BSC this year?

Now this is a post I can respect. I don't get this UND need to be at NDSU's level first or prove they are "worthy" to grace the Fargodome turf. GT wanted every other year, every other year is now available in 2015. I say start with a simple home and home and in 2017 when the clock hits zero at the Alerus Center see if both teams want to do this again.

I agree, it is a fun game to play in and to watch, I have wavered from wanting the game and not wanting the game, but I do think the time has come to at least start the conversation.

I believe Gene said in an interview that he wanted to have a long-term plan in place before scheduling. I think what he meant was not just scheduling two games.

So where do all of the UND fans in here think they deserve to be ranked in the BSC? It sounds like you think you deserve to be treated like Montana and Montana State. Does that mean you feel it's a toss up between you three on who wins the BSC this year?

the poll on the Big Sky Time page shows majority at 4th place finish this year so I guess that's where most think we will/deserve to be

I believe Gene said in an interview that he wanted to have a long-term plan in place before scheduling. I think what he meant was not just scheduling two games.

Gene Taylor said he wanted a home and home, with nothing guaranteed in the future to allow him flexibility. Faison wanted a game every year. The contracts being discussed and sent over to NDSU were a home and home. Gene Taylor got what he wanted, now the question is why is he wavering and saying school presidents might need to get involved? Pretty sure that isn't standard practice in scheduling at either NDSU or UND.

yea I get it, but what I saw from Hansen is the same thing I saw from a FR QB in his first spring game at NDSU in Brock Jensen. I thought after seeing that (practice) that he should start without a doubt, he didn't, you guys struggled, then he did and you guys won and made a deep push in the playoffs.

Faison wanted every year....not gonna happen. Taylor wants every other year to start out, and possibly in the future. I think Faison realizes that NDSU is not going to comit to a game with UND every year. I think Faison has accepted that every other year is the best he can hope for. So Faison likes the every other year scenerio, We know Taylor likes it because he offered it up a few years back. So what is left to discuss? Both AD's want this game every other year. Sign the deals for 2015 and 2017 and verbally comit to scheduling the game every other year and both AD's can sit down at the appropriate time of sceduling and figure those dates out as well.

yea I get it, but what I saw from Hansen is the same thing I saw from a FR QB in his first spring game at NDSU in Brock Jensen. I thought after seeing that (practice) that he should start without a doubt, he didn't, you guys struggled, then he did and you guys won and made a deep push in the playoffs.

I agree, I have watched Hansen a little and from all appearances he seems to have "it". It's just hard to know how he will react when it is full speed and he is the starter and being looked to as a leader. I may be wrong but I don't think he has been a starter before, is that correct?

I agree, I have watched Hansen a little and from all appearances he seems to have "it". It's just hard to know how he will react when it is full speed and he is the starter and being looked to as a leader. I may be wrong but I don't think he has been a starter before, is that correct?

He backed up TJ Yates but got some ACC action under his belt against NC St and Clemson I think. He then got behind a new (more mobile) QB as they were starting to change from pro style to spread which is not his thing

He backed up TJ Yates but got some ACC action under his belt against NC St and Clemson I think. He then got behind a new (more mobile) QB as they were starting to change from pro style to spread which is not his thing

Yeah he appears to be a great pickup and should hold down the position fairly well while Mollberg is learning the ropes.

I think UND should be between 5-7. Not in the top and not at the bottom but in the middle. I actually predict the title going to either Cal Poly (VERY favorable conference schedule) or Montana State. I think Montana with its offseason problems will cost them the title, but maybe not a playoff berth.

Cal Poly does have a very favorable looking conference schedule. We do get them at home again this year so maybe we can get a little revenge from the loss last year. I voted that we are 4th place but we could realistically be at the bottom, or if we beat Poly and Montana at home we could be towards the top. Toss up at this point.

Cal Poly does have a very favorable looking conference schedule. We do get them at home again this year so maybe we can get a little revenge from the loss last year. I voted that we are 4th place but we could realistically be at the bottom, or if we beat Poly and Montana at home we could be towards the top. Toss up at this point.

Thats why I don't get too excited about preseason polls...you basically base it on how last year went and who returns. Well if Hanson turns out to be a stud we could be a contender if he is a flop we could be in the cellar. Hard to say. But I would also love to see UND get revenge on Cal Poly.

Thats why I don't get too excited about preseason polls...you basically base it on how last year went and who returns. Well if Hanson turns out to be a stud we could be a contender if he is a flop we could be in the cellar. Hard to say. But I would also love to see UND get revenge on Cal Poly.

Very possible that he won't even be the starter when the season starts. What then?

I am not saying I disagree with the move to bring in Hansen at all, he looks to be the real deal and could really help the team.

But, do you think this might set a dangerous precedent at the QB position? Bringing in a guy who will only be there for 1 year at such an important position, and pretty much handing him the position?

I am not saying I disagree with the move to bring in Hansen at all, he looks to be the real deal and could really help the team.

But, do you think this might set a dangerous precedent at the QB position? Bringing in a guy who will only be there for 1 year at such an important position, and pretty much handing him the position?

If it were done multiple times it might be a problem. Fixing a short term problem with a fluke pick up doesn't set a precedent.