SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

I have never said I don't care about UND, I just don't care to see NDSU play UND at this point. I know the conversation is moving fast here but try to keep up.

Yeah, I get it. You hate UND. Don't want to "help" them in any way. Guess what, UND does not absolutely need this game. We don't have scheduling issues now since we have 8 gauranteed conference games a year. If we need help finding another FCS game, we can loom to the other Big Sky teams that we don't play in a particular year and play the, (Portland St for example). We don't need this game. But as a fan, I would much rather play a game against NDSU than Portland state or even Montana and time.

Yeah, I get it. You hate UND. Don't want to "help" them in any way. Guess what, UND does not absolutely need this game. We don't have scheduling issues now since we have 8 gauranteed conference games a year. If we need help finding another FCS game, we can loom to the other Big Sky teams that we don't play in a particular year and play the, (Portland St for example). We don't need this game. But as a fan, I would much rather play a game against NDSU than Portland state or even Montana and time.

You apparently don't get it. I don't hate UND. I am a fan of NDSU, I respect UND.

I don't think either team needs this game, it would be an interesting game to watch, but neither team needs it.

I do think it is easy to see who wants the game more by reading these message boards though.

You apparently don't get it. I don't hate UND. I am a fan of NDSU, I respect UND.

I don't think either team needs this game, it would be an interesting game to watch, but neither team needs it.

I do think it is easy to see who wants the game more by reading these message boards though.

Neither team NEEDS the game. Both teams WOULD BENEFIT by playing the game. But you are more interested in hurting UND (or in your words, not helping UND) more than you are in benefiting NDSU. That is a negative way to live your life, but that's up to you. I would rather find a way to benefit my team even if it benefits a rival. Because I think the rivalry is better if both programs are strong, and I'm not afraid of the competition. But that's just me.
  • Upvote 1

Neither team NEEDS the game. Both teams WOULD BENEFIT by playing the game. But you are more interested in hurting UND (or in your words, not helping UND) more than you are in benefiting NDSU. That is a negative way to live your life, but that's up to you. I would rather find a way to benefit my team even if it benefits a rival. Because I think the rivalry is better if both programs are strong, and I'm not afraid of the competition. But that's just me.

I think these psychological games you are trying to play are comical. You're welcome to your opinion, mine happens to be slightly different.

I think these psychological games you are trying to play are comical. You're welcome to your opinion, mine happens to be slightly different.

Good thing you are in the minority. Guess what, this game, this rivalry is bigger than your opinion or the opinion of some misguided Bison fans.

• Upvote 1

Good thing you are in the minority. Guess what, this game, this rivalry is bigger than your opinion or the opinion of some misguided Bison fans.

Please explain to me how I am in the minority when I don't see this game on NDSU's or UND's schedule?

I don't need a history lesson on how big the rivalry is, I am well aware.

Please explain to me how I am in the minority when I don't see this game on NDSU's or UND's schedule?

I don't need a history lesson on how big the rivalry is, I am well aware.

There are only a few people that actually decide whether the game happens. It isn't up for a popular vote. I'm pretty sure that none of the people that will be deciding whether the game happens or not are posting on this forum. So you not seeing this game listed on a schedule has nothing to do with you being in the minority. There is no direct relationship between the 2 things.

Why would App St., Montana, MT State, Georgia Southern schedule NDSU? They would only be helping them by having them play prestigious programs like that. It will be a bigger game NDSU, they need it more!! They will benifit more from the game! You see how rediculous that sounds when you put the shoe on the other foot??

I completely agree that a game for NDSU against those schools (prior to us winning a national championship) definitely would've meant more for us than for them, and they had more to lose. Why do you think Georgia Southern bought out the game in Fargo? Doesn't seem ridiculous at all to me. Just like NDSU playing Minnesota. Minnesota has way more to lose by playing that game than NDSU does. Also just like NDSU has more to lose by playing UND.

Also, it's "benefit", and "ridiculous"

I completely agree that a game for NDSU against those schools (prior to us winning a national championship) definitely would've meant more for us than for them, and they had more to lose. Why do you think Georgia Southern bought out the game in Fargo? Doesn't seem ridiculous at all to me. Just like NDSU playing Minnesota. Minnesota has way more to lose by playing that game than NDSU does. Also just like NDSU has more to lose by playing UND.

By your logic NDSU should only have a few games a year. Every game against a weaker team is a game where NDSU has more to lose than the team they are playing. Is NDSU going to cancel 1/2 or more of their games for the year? Probably keep the FBS game, UNI, Southern Illinois and maybe 1 or 2 more? Definitely shouldn't be playing Robert Morris, Prairieview and the bottom half of the MVFC.

There are only a few people that actually decide whether the game happens. It isn't up for a popular vote. I'm pretty sure that none of the people that will be deciding whether the game happens or not are posting on this forum. So you not seeing this game listed on a schedule has nothing to do with you being in the minority. There is no direct relationship between the 2 things.

I was responding to your buddy who said I am in the minority, which as you pointed out doesn't matter and also can't be proven one way or another so why did he bring it up in the first place?

Also, it is pretty apparent that I share the opinion of the people who do put it on the schedule. So well It may not matter if I have the popular vote on my side, I apparently have the electoral vote on my side.

Oh, so now that you have won a National Championship, no opponent you schedule will mean more to you than the other team. Really? Do you think other defending champions, like Southern Utah, Richmond, Montana, etc, share the same viewpoint? You win a Championship and all of a sudden all other teams have to worship NDSU and beg them for just a chance to be on the same paying field. The arrogance by you and other NDSU fans is unbelievable.

• Upvote 1

I was responding to your buddy who said I am in the minority, which as you pointed out doesn't matter and also can't be proven one way or another so why did he bring it up in the first place?

Also, it is pretty apparent that I share the opinion of the people who do put it on the schedule. So well It may not matter if I have the popular vote on my side, I apparently have the electoral vote on my side.

I agree with you!! It is pretty apparent that you share the the same opinion of other misguided, arrogant Bison fans out there!!

I agree with you!! It is pretty apparent that you share the the same opinion of other misguided, arrogant Bison fans out there!!

So it's Bison fans that determine the schedule? Ok I'll be sure to get my vote in on who I want to play in the 2013 season.

I am talking about your opinion on whether or not the game should be scheduled. It is misguided and arrogant.

It's only viewed as arrogant because you don't like it. I learned a long time ago that some things are true whether you believe them or not. I think that philosophy might serve you well in this instance.

By your logic NDSU should only have a few games a year. Every game against a weaker team is a game where NDSU has more to lose than the team they are playing. Is NDSU going to cancel 1/2 or more of their games for the year? Probably keep the FBS game, UNI, Southern Illinois and maybe 1 or 2 more? Definitely shouldn't be playing Robert Morris, Prairieview and the bottom half of the MVFC.

I didn't say cancel every game with teams that are weaker than you, and I certainly didn't say to cancel conference games. You are completely taking that out of context. I'm saying, you have to choose your battles and determine the games that help your team the most on their way to their ultimate goal.

We have 8 conference games and typically 3 OOC games. Ideally, we would like one of those to be an FBS game, and the other 2 as home games. If we have to give up a home game, I would prefer it be to a team with a repuation in the FCS, such as Montana, Montana State, Georgia Southern, App State, etc, rather than a team like UND right now. The teams like Prairie View, Lafayette, St. Francis are agreeing to come and play in Fargo. If UND wants to play a single game in Fargo, great. I say go ahead and schedule one game in Fargo, and figure it out from there.

Also, Siouxperfan, you are taking things out of context by assuming that I meant our games against Montana, Montana State, etc. will mean more to them than to us simply because we won a single FCS national championship. We still have a lot to prove in order to get the respect that those teams have earned over the years, but if they happen to lose to the former national champions, it doesn't look nearly as bad as a loss to a team that just made the transition to FCS (like UND). That means they have a lot less to lose by playing this game now that we have won a national championship than they would've if we had done nothing at the FCS level (like UND). Again, I'm not saying we have more to lose than them. I'm saying they have less to lose now than they would've a year or two ago. I have a lot of respect for those schools, and I hope NDSU can earn the reputation that those schools have, and I think we are doing well in our effort to earn that respect. Let's face it, as of right now, the perception of most people outside of UND is that UND is closer to the level of Lafayette and St. Francis than they are to Montana, Montana State, Georgia Southern, App State, etc. I think UND can get their level of play much closer to Montana and Montana State, but that is something that has yet to be proven. Since you have yet to prove that, you haven't earned that respect at the FCS level. Therefore, playing UND is much more comparable to playing Lafayette and St. Francis (right now) than it is to playing Montana and Montana State, and I think this is why a lot of NDSU fans would prefer to schedule a home and home with Montana or Montana State than UND.

I didn't say cancel every game with teams that are weaker than you, and I certainly didn't say to cancel conference games. You are completely taking that out of context. I'm saying, you have to choose your battles and determine the games that help your team the most on their way to their ultimate goal.

We have 8 conference games and typically 3 OOC games. Ideally, we would like one of those to be an FBS game, and the other 2 as home games. If we have to give up a home game, I would prefer it be to a team with a repuation in the FCS, such as Montana, Montana State, Georgia Southern, App State, etc, rather than a team like UND right now. The teams like Prairie View, Lafayette, St. Francis are agreeing to come and play in Fargo. If UND wants to play a single game in Fargo, great. I say go ahead and schedule one game in Fargo, and figure it out from there.

Also, Siouxperfan, you are taking things out of context by assuming that I meant our games against Montana, Montana State, etc. will mean more to them than to us simply because we won a single FCS national championship. We still have a lot to prove in order to get the respect that those teams have earned over the years, but if they happen to lose to the former national champions, it doesn't look nearly as bad as a loss to a team that just made the transition to FCS (like UND). That means they have a lot less to lose by playing this game now that we have won a national championship than they would've if we had done nothing at the FCS level (like UND). Again, I'm not saying we have more to lose than them. I'm saying they have less to lose now than they would've a year or two ago. I have a lot of respect for those schools, and I hope NDSU can earn the reputation that those schools have, and I think we are doing well in our effort to earn that respect. Let's face it, as of right now, the perception of most people outside of UND is that UND is closer to the level of Lafayette and St. Francis than they are to Montana, Montana State, Georgia Southern, App State, etc. I think UND can get their level of play much closer to Montana and Montana State, but that is something that has yet to be proven. Since you have yet to prove that, you haven't earned that respect at the FCS level. Therefore, playing UND is much more comparable to playing Lafayette and St. Francis (right now) than it is to playing Montana and Montana State, and I think this is why a lot of NDSU fans would prefer to schedule a home and home with Montana or Montana State than UND.

What does that mean?? Right now? The first game wouldn't be until 2015...UND's 4th season on playoff eligibility (NDSU is currently in their 5th year of playoff eligibility). So again right now? UND could have NC's titles in 2012, 2013, 2014 and you still don't think they should play? Just because NDSU has their one title, they are not the most God given program the FCS has ever seen. NDSU has been playoff eligible since 2008 (4 seasons) and has how many conference titles....1 (shared), they had 3 winning seasons and made the playoffs twice. NDSU isn't on the list with Montana, MSU, App St... What's funny is UND's transition is where NDSU was. Only excpetion is a FBS win. But GWFC titles NDSU 1 UND 1 both teams shared their title. Both teams were ranked in the polls. No playoffs during transition. Is this what scares NDSU? UND is now gaining on NDSU's 5 year head start in DI football? We got kickass recruits, an AQ conference (that NDSU tried to get into twice) and a conference title that will be hung up in the Alerus Center. IMO as long as Gene Taylor is at NDSU....the game won't happen.

• Upvote 3

What does that mean?? Right now? The first game wouldn't be until 2015...UND's 4th season on playoff eligibility (NDSU is currently in their 5th year of playoff eligibility). So again right now? UND could have NC's titles in 2012, 2013, 2014 and you still don't think they should play? Just because NDSU has their one title, they are not the most God given program the FCS has ever seen. NDSU has been playoff eligible since 2008 (4 seasons) and has how many conference titles....1 (shared), they had 3 winning seasons and made the playoffs twice. NDSU isn't on the list with Montana, MSU, App St... What's funny is UND's transition is where NDSU was. Only excpetion is a FBS win. But GWFC titles NDSU 1 UND 1 both teams shared their title. Both teams were ranked in the polls. No playoffs during transition. Is this what scares NDSU? UND is now gaining on NDSU's 5 year head start in DI football? We got kickass recruits, an AQ conference (that NDSU tried to get into twice) and a conference title that will be hung up in the Alerus Center. IMO as long as Gene Taylor is at NDSU....the game won't happen.

Wow, you UND fans really like taking something that an NDSU fan says and twisting it to mean something completely different. I also said "We still have a lot to prove in order to get the respect that those teams have earned over the years", but you chose to completely disregard that in order to keep your opinion that all NDSU fans have no respect for other schools.

"Right now" means that right now UND doesn't have the reputation that those other schools have, and in my opinion, have not earned enough respect for me to want to schedule a home and home. Yes, you are right that UND got into the Big Sky Conference and NDSU didn't, but do you really think that has anything to do with the perceived level of talent at the two schools? You are also right that UND could have 3 national championships by 2015, but they could also go 0-11 (like Northern Colorado did last year) and lose to SD School of Mines this year. If UND has a national championship (or 3) in the next few years, then I think they should be treated more like Montana or Montana State. Right now, UND is not being looked at like Montana, Montana State, or even Portland State. The general perception outside of UND is that UND will be towards the bottom of the Big Sky, and I would not want NDSU to schedule a team at the bottom of any conference, even the Big Sky, to a home and home.

Wow, you UND fans really like taking something that an NDSU fan says and twisting it to mean something completely different. I also said "We still have a lot to prove in order to get the respect that those teams have earned over the years", but you chose to completely disregard that in order to keep your opinion that all NDSU fans have no respect for other schools.

"Right now" means that right now UND doesn't have the reputation that those other schools have, and in my opinion, have not earned enough respect for me to want to schedule a home and home. Yes, you are right that UND got into the Big Sky Conference and NDSU didn't, but do you really think that has anything to do with the perceived level of talent at the two schools? You are also right that UND could have 3 national championships by 2015, but they could also go 0-11 (like Northern Colorado did last year) and lose to SD School of Mines this year. If UND has a national championship (or 3) in the next few years, then I think they should be treated more like Montana or Montana State. Right now, UND is not being looked at like Montana, Montana State, or even Portland State. The general perception outside of UND is that UND will be towards the bottom of the Big Sky, and I would not want NDSU to schedule a team at the bottom of any conference, even the Big Sky, to a home and home.

Not earned enough for a home and home? How bout we have played 110 times for over a centruy!! I suppose at least 50 of those were in Grand Forks!! Yes we have had some down years, but so has NDSU. Do you remember 2009 when NDSU was 3-8??? Remember?? Wow...I guess NDSU fans really do have a short memory!!

• Upvote 1

Hmmm if I remember correctly they backed out of their last commitment to ndsu. makes sense, keep scheduling teams like that. :silly:

I'm beginning to think a UND-NDSU football game isn't worth having to deal with bizun fans. Just the mention of possible dates for a home and home has them flooding over here to remind us of how much they don't care about UND (regardless of how many threads Bville has on us).

• Upvote 1

I understand your argument, and agree that UND will probably not be at the level of those schools in the beginning, but being they are looking at games starting in 2015 and 2017 all the kids who are freshman this year (the first year out of transition) will be seniors for the first game and should be able to compete with anybody.

Scheduling that far out it's impossible to tell how good either team is going to be, if they wait until UND "proves themselves worthy", whether that is by beating one of the Montana schools or making the playoffs or whatever, this game might get pushed back even further yet the way teams are forced to plan their schedules years ahead these days, and it would be a shame if these 2 teams didn't get together for another 5 or 10 years. Especially if 2015 comes along and UND is fielding a product that is equal to or better than what NDSU is fielding.