SiouxSports.com Forum

Forum Opinion Hit Piece on the NCAA and the SIOUX

BobIwabuchiFan

The Forum hit piece today was more of the same crap you get from the Herald progressives...how is it that when people stand up for what is right versus what is expedient they are identified as stubborn mules. Apparently, stubborn mules is a metaphor for not being as smart as them. I actually take pride that we didn't back down from the NCAA and I think in this case principle means more than what is supposedly sacrificied by not complying with the dictatorship we call the NCAA.

BobIwabuchiFan

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Forum hit piece today was more of the same crap you get from the Herald progressives...how is it that when people stand up for what is right versus what is expedient they are identified as stubborn mules. Apparently, stubborn mules is a metaphor for not being as smart as them. I actually take pride that we didn't back down from the NCAA and I think in this case principle means more than what is supposedly sacrificied by not complying with the dictatorship we call the NCAA.

BobIwabuchiFan

I just love how politicians and elitists think they know what is best for us the common folk. No name attached to the piece and it was clearly a hatchet job. I think this will be headed back to court because the will of the people in North Dakota is to have the Fighting Sioux nickname.

I just love how politicians and elitists think they know what is best for us the common folk. No name attached to the piece and it was clearly a hatchet job. I think this will be headed back to court because the will of the people in North Dakota is to have the Fighting Sioux nickname.

The Forum has never identified the writer of its opinions. This is nothing new. It's Jack Zaleski most of the time, but it's supposed to represent the opinion of the entire editorial board. The Herald is one of the few newspapers whose daily opinion writers identify themselves, usually it's Tom Dennis, and Mike Jacobs when Tom is on vacation. Kevin Grinde on a rare occasion will step in.

You folks that cheer for UND have no idea what you are getting yourselves into. The NCAA can mess up your schools athletics programs so bad the only way you guys will know each teams records from each other will be how many games they usually play. You'll see a lot of 3-8's and 10-20's across the board if you don't fix this !@#$ now. The NCAA, is a large organization, the University of North Dakota made an agreement with them back in '07(I think it's 07?) saying they had a couple years to get support. They didn't get the support. Plain and Simple.

Now the Legislature messes you guys up even more now. Saying you must use the logo and name all the time. Well, funny thing we all know is that UND has the logo on their hockey jerseys, another funny thing is that the NCAA says you can't have your logo on your jerseys at post-season events. So now you might not even be allowed into the hockey championships which you guys all love sooo much, because of some state law you guys are all cheering. Thats without me even mentioning some schools have/are considering putting you guys on a blacklist of teams they won't play because of nickname/logo issues. Retire the name, find a new one. Make the circus stop. Cause in the end, we all know who it is biting in the ass.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

You folks that cheer for UND have no idea what you are getting yourselves into. The NCAA can mess up your schools athletics programs so bad the only way you guys will know each teams records from each other will be how many games they usually play. You'll see a lot of 3-8's and 10-20's across the board if you don't fix this !@#$ now. The NCAA, is a large organization, the University of North Dakota made an agreement with them back in '07(I think it's 07?) saying they had a couple years to get support. They didn't get the support. Plain and Simple.

Now the Legislature messes you guys up even more now. Saying you must use the logo and name all the time. Well, funny thing we all know is that UND has the logo on their hockey jerseys, another funny thing is that the NCAA says you can't have your logo on your jerseys at post-season events. So now you might not even be allowed into the hockey championships which you guys all love sooo much, because of some state law you guys are all cheering. Thats without me even mentioning some schools have/are considering putting you guys on a blacklist of teams they won't play because of nickname/logo issues. Retire the name, find a new one. Make the circus stop. Cause in the end, we all know who it is biting in the ass.

#1 Being a Bison fan is not helping you at all

#2 The NCAA already assured UND that they WILL be able to play in championships in all sports we just can't be called the Fighting Sioux and wear the Indian logo.

#3 Your blacklist consists of 3 teams Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa (which 2 out of the 3 we play in hockey and will continue to do so until the BTHC starts)

#4 UND lost the lawsuit because they didn't have tribal support that the NCAA felt was acceptable even the Spirit Lake's support of 2000 wasn't good enough but now with the SL signed written permission with the tribal vote, plus the state law gives the school a lot more ammunition over the NCAA that we didn't have in 2007.

#5 Go back to Bisonville and share this with your Bison buddies and we thank you for your support.

I understand you're from NDSU and all this legal talk is very confusing and probably goes right over your head, so let me dumb it down a notch for you. UND can compete in all NCAA tournaments but must wear an alternative jersey without the Sioux name or logo on them. UND is prohibited from hosting post season play but may host events like the WCHA tournament and other conference tournaments. Hopefully that explanation is clear enough for a trolling retard like yourself. Seriously, do you have any idea how ridiculous it is for NDSU fans to troll UND sites, we don't even play you in anything, we are no longer rivals. You're like that crazy ex-girlfriend that can't seem to accept that it's over and move on. I'm sorry that no one cares about NDSU and that you will never get invited to a good conference, but you need to make the best with what you have and accept that UND is a more appealing option to the world of sports.

I understand you're from NDSU and all this legal talk is very confusing and probably goes right over your head, so let me dumb it down a notch for you. UND can compete in all NCAA tournaments but must wear an alternative jersey without the Sioux name or logo on them. UND is prohibited from hosting post season play but may host events like the WCHA tournament and other conference tournaments. Hopefully that explanation is clear enough for a trolling retard like yourself. Seriously, do you have any idea how ridiculous it is for NDSU fans to troll UND sites, we don't even play you in anything, we are no longer rivals. You're like that crazy ex-girlfriend that can't seem to accept that it's over and move on. I'm sorry that no one cares about NDSU and that you will never get invited to a good conference, but you need to make the best with what you have and accept that UND is a more appealing option to the world of sports.

Its media envy they have down there. We have all the attention and they don't...sorry their baseball team isn't on pace to contend in Omaha.

The Bison get to host their first playoff football game in 18 years and all of a sudden the folks down here are pumping their chests thinking they are all of a sudden relevant. It just kills these Bison folks that they always have to take the back seat to UND. Does anybody know of any siouxsports posters that go on their site and post that type of garbage? I am guessing there isn't a single one. The last time I even thought about the Bison was when they gave me a permanent !@#$ grin on my face for a week after fumbling the ball on the 6 inch line in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

Let me clarify my thoughts, It sounded to me like the legislature may have(or may not have, you guys would know more than I would) sounded like UND could not make concessions such as wearing alternate jerseys for championships. Also, the thoughts I've seen around makes it seem like the BTHC was going to try and play a lot of games against the WCHA and CCHA because 6 or 7 teams really won't be enough for the conference to be a traditional conference right now as we know it. Also from what I've heard(nothing official, just rumors), some folks think since out east, a lot of the schools are politically correct with everything, a lot of them will blacklist UND as well. That is entirely rumors right now but you guys can see what I'm getting at.

I feel like you guys are really throwing the football team up there under the bus now, you guys know you can't host playoff games now. How bad would that suck if you went 11-0 in the Big Sky(pretty solid conference), and then had to travel to say.....a 7-4 team from the CAA or SoCon? I just think it seems unfair to the football program is all.

As for the media envy thoughts, I'm fine with the bad press UND is getting, its about time considering our football team in fargo, (best buy theft, solicitation of a minor, etc.) You guys are taking a ton of pressure off of NDSU haha.....well, sort of....not really.

*I shall put myself on record as I usually do, saying I do not think that UND should have to change their nickname, it really isn't the NCAA's business. They really shouldn't worry too much. However, it does seem like UND is the only school that has had trouble getting the proper support(Utah, Central MIch. Florida St. have all had no issues that I have seen so far) Now do I think it'd be funny if the crap hits the fan up north? Yes.

Very sorry for rubbing you guys the wrong way, I just think you guys are making a big big mistake right now. I hope everything works out fine for UND, I enjoy the little mud slinging contests the fans of each school have from time to time.

Its media envy they have down there. We have all the attention and they don't...sorry their baseball team isn't on pace to contend in Omaha.

Yes, our baseball team blows, I actually read about our team a couple years ago in the USA Today, they threw a no-hitter and STILL lost! Thank God we don't put a whole lot of effort into baseball.

Your right you do not understand & it is too much to try & bring folks up to date - who really don't care or just want to keep the rivalry & smack talk alive - to us it is real & happening & most of us have hope to keep the name & for some time it was looking bleak & many mistakes & negative forces were happening - The Legislature had the wisdom to try & right some of the wrongs & hopefully the NCAA will re-visit why it all happened & consider the positives that have happened. ie. Spirit Lakes approval - the Standing Rock not letting their people decide & the fact they really did give approval a long time ago - the fact that the name has been truly honored & respected (other than a few idiotic people in the past - trying to be smack / put down rivals. -folks most likely from Fargo / Bison that are still doing everything they can to discredit the Fighting Sioux. We need your help & support - not rivalry at this time -

There are too many forces (but actually very small # of people) looking to blow anything even remotely negative, out of proportion, or to make it a controversy just for news / sensationalism or partician politics. This probably is why the NCAA would not meet in public - this has all been said over & over & over like a broken record. I think it was and still is opportunity to talk about the issue & maybe a new outlook could be obtained

If not I do believe most of us can live with not wearing the Logo at a future potential playoff - at least for me,the schools that maybe (MAYBE) won't play us - I don't care about them & think it's their bad decision.

If PETA could convince the ncaa that animal names were not right for human teams - how would the Bison Fans react ?

#4 UND lost the lawsuit because they didn't have tribal support that the NCAA felt was acceptable even the Spirit Lake's support of 2000 wasn't good enough but now with the SL signed written permission with the tribal vote, plus the state law gives the school a lot more ammunition over the NCAA that we didn't have in 2007.

The State didn't lose the lawsuit. The parties agreed to settle it without further litigation.

If PETA could convince the ncaa that animal names were not right for human teams - how would the Bison Fans react ?

Me and the dad discussed this already. My mom asked us what we'd think, I can care less what the Bison are called. I cheer for North Dakota State University, the Bison just happens to be our nickname. We were the Farmers a long time ago, if we were that now, I doubt it would affect how much I like the team. In the end, it is a nickname, not worth getting your school into more and more hot water. From the light reading I've done, the nickname has brought only more harm than good to the University. If you are a Sioux fan more than a University of North Dakota fan, well then I guess your sad little world is coming down. The writing has been on the wall since the 90's, time to face the music.

• Downvote 1

& you are just a contrarian trying to make trouble & we don't like the tune or words to your music

& I think you are also in a small minority as far as the Bison name, in my analogy

Oh of course some NDSU folks would get pretty bent up about the Bison name thing, I'd also put myself on record as calling them idiots. Its like not liking the Tenessee Titans because you liked the name Oilers more.

And the Tune of my music, is Viva La Vida, lyrics modified to show how UND is hurting itself.

Me and the dad discussed this already. My mom asked us what we'd think, I can care less what the Bison are called. I cheer for North Dakota State University, the Bison just happens to be our nickname. We were the Farmers a long time ago, if we were that now, I doubt it would affect how much I like the team. In the end, it is a nickname, not worth getting your school into more and more hot water. From the light reading I've done, the nickname has brought only more harm than good to the University. If you are a Sioux fan more than a University of North Dakota fan, well then I guess your sad little world is coming down. The writing has been on the wall since the 90's, time to face the music.

First off, you are one person with one opinion! That doesn't stand for all of ND! Second of all, you say "we don't know what we are getting ourselves into"! Really, do YOU have any idea on the matter? I doubt it! "WE" can support anything we want to support, "WE" didn't lose any decision on the nickname, SL didn't get to have their rights exercised by allowing them to vote! All you anti's forget that VERY IMPORTANT part! "WE" don't want your opinion, hows that?

Let's just hope our administration and legislators can hash out something in the next couple of months. I know they plan on going to Indianapolis to meet with the NCAA, I wonder if it would be more effective if the Governor, a few Congressmen, and a some US senators attended as well. I wonder if the NCAA would be more likely to compromise and reduce sanctions if they were met with more than just UND administration and state legislators?

So, is "the dad" Lakesbison? You are starting to sound like him.

I know, I know... stop playing with the trolls, it just encourages them. :silly::lol:

So, is "the dad" Lakesbison? You are starting to sound like him.

I know, I know... stop playing with the trolls, it just encourages them. :silly::lol:

Did anyone happen to hear anything about the Herd Terds this year that was covered outside of the fargo forum and the grand forks herald? I think the problem people in fargo are having is the news about the Sioux nickname has had more press than NDSU has had their entire existence...I always like how the fargo folks take such pride in being erroneously associated with real Division I championship hockey, but you never hear anyone confuse UND with the supposed FCS powerhouse out of fargo because most folks outside of ND don't even know there is a college in fargo to begin with...this should help feed the trolls...

BobIwabuchiFan

P.S. I am watching that all American from UND right now in the playoffs or should I say the many all-Americans...still looking for someone from the NDSU all-century basketball team whenever I quite watching golf and decide to watch the last 3 minutes of the NBA playoff games.... :lol:

• Upvote 2

Let's just hope our administration and legislators can hash out something in the next couple of months. I know they plan on going to Indianapolis to meet with the NCAA, I wonder if it would be more effective if the Governor, a few Congressmen, and a some US senators attended as well. I wonder if the NCAA would be more likely to compromise and reduce sanctions if they were met with more than just UND administration and state legislators?

Has this been confirmed?

Did anyone happen to hear anything about the Herd Terds this year that was covered outside of the fargo forum and the grand forks herald? I think the problem people in fargo are having is the news about the Sioux nickname has had more press than NDSU has had their entire existence...I always like how the fargo folks take such pride in being erroneously associated with real Division I championship hockey, but you never hear anyone confuse UND with the supposed FCS powerhouse out of fargo because most folks outside of ND don't even know there is a college in fargo to begin with...this should help feed the trolls...

BobIwabuchiFan

P.S. I am watching that all American from UND right now in the playoffs or should I say the many all-Americans...still looking for someone from the NDSU all-century basketball team whenever I quite watching golf and decide to watch the last 3 minutes of the NBA playoff games.... :lol:

ha, ha, ha.......+1