SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Practice

siouxfbfan

Sounds like it is all but a formality that Dominique Hawkins will be moving to safety this season...................is that a good thing? He's really been the only bright spot in the defensive backfield the last three seasons.....................Seems to me that quality safeties are easier to come by than quality cornerbacks............

Sounds like it is all but a formality that Dominique Hawkins will be moving to safety this season...................is that a good thing? He's really been the only bright spot in the defensive backfield the last three seasons.....................Seems to me that quality safeties are easier to come by than quality cornerbacks............

Agreed Bin. I think the big thing will be if Hall and Mackey can have the confidence this year to not have to give the 7 yard cushion. Also throw Brown in the mix and get his feet wet and I'm ok with this. If Hawkins can be the playmaker at safety that he was at corner that should help.

Watkins has to reprove everything to me as he didn't play well last year. I don't know if its his confidence or what he was worried about but he needs to get A LOT better before fall.

On another positive note I have heard very good things on our LB crew for this upcoming season. As long as we stay healthy we should continue to improve there. That is so important to our defense and will also help our secondary out. We have been lacking that the last 3-4 seasons and its showed.

Unfortunately, I think this is an absolute necessity. We have some talent and depth issues at safety which is probably what prompted the position change for Hawkins. I think this is the best way to get the most talent on the field, especially in nickel situations as you could have Mersereau, Hawkins, Brown, Hall and Mackey all on the field at the same time. If any of the corners slip up or get injured, hopefully the Watkins improvement discussed on SFI will help. He really had a bad season in 2010 and if he can make a positive contribution this season, I would consider it a bonus.

In my opinion, we are dangerously thin behind Mersereau and Hawkins at safety, but we have some decent depth at corner. Hall & Mackey need to learn to tighten up their coverage now when needed in certain down and distance situations. They have the physical talent and confidence, now they just need to add the mental game.

Unfortunately, I think this is an absolute necessity. We have some talent and depth issues at safety which is probably what prompted the position change for Hawkins. I think this is the best way to get the most talent on the field, especially in nickel situations as you could have Mersereau, Hawkins, Brown, Hall and Mackey all on the field at the same time. If any of the corners slip up or get injured, hopefully the Watkins improvement discussed on SFI will help. He really had a bad season in 2010 and if he can make a positive contribution this season, I would consider it a bonus.

In my opinion, we are dangerously thin behind Mersereau and Hawkins at safety, but we have some decent depth at corner. Hall & Mackey need to learn to tighten up their coverage now when needed in certain down and distance situations. They have the physical talent and confidence, now they just need to add the mental game.

Well said vince. That is what I was trying to say but you said it much better than I did.

The two biggest reasons I feel the secondary didn't perform up to the level of their potential was the large cushion given by young corners who seemed scared to give up the deep pass, and the lack a consistent pass rush. I like the move for Hawkins from corner to safety. with ankenbauer and schwenzfeier graduating they lose a ton of experience and hawkins has the experience needed to be the leader in the secondary. Hopefully someone else emerges for the other spot. I really believe that our cornerback group will be strong this year.

UND FOOTBALL: QB play makes progress

And the program’s midterm grade report at quarterback — the position that is drawing the most attention at Memorial Stadium — is favorable.

“It’s getting better,” UND coach Chris Mussman said Wednesday after watching his quarterbacks participate in a 30-play live session.

But there is one less quarterback on the roster.

Redshirt freshman Trey Demler of Oshkosh, Wis., has left the program, leaving four quarterbacks on the roster. Demler did not see any playing time with the Sioux.

Considering that Mussman was heavily recruiting a QB one season after recruiting two (Comes and Demler), seems Mussman didn't have any expectation that at least one of those QBs would contribute.

Hoping that Demler finds a QB spot at a different. level and that football becomes fun for him again.

This position absolutely scares me to death. If Demler feels he can not ever play here, what was Muss doing recruiting him? He has two real stiffs ahead of him from last year, a contemporary in Comes, and a juco transfer that apparently so far is mildly impressive. This position killed us last year even with the holdover DII recruit Landry. If this program is to succeed, QB play has to be an absolute top priority. With the weak schedule for 2011 we might survive, but looking beyond that unless Bradley or Comes are really top quality players this program is in trouble. As you note, I have no confidence in either Hendrickson or Goska doing anything special for this team.

This position absolutely scares me to death. If Demler feels he can not ever play here, what was Muss doing recruiting him? He has two real stiffs ahead of him from last year, a contemporary in Comes, and a juco transfer that apparently so far is mildly impressive. This position killed us last year even with the holdover DII recruit Landry. If this program is to succeed, QB play has to be an absolute top priority. With the weak schedule for 2011 we might survive, but looking beyond that unless Bradley or Comes are really top quality players this program is in trouble. As you note, I have no confidence in either Hendrickson or Goska doing anything special for this team.

I think you are asking the impossible when you assume it was a mistake to recruit him because no one can really know how a player will develop. They can only recruit based on film, potential, and the information they get from the people who know the kid and have seen him play in person. Maybe he had some other issues that had an effect on his development, college is a huge change in lifestyle and some people struggle. These mistakes happen all the time, look at the University of TX and that QB situation. Gilbert essetially could have picked any school in the country as the #1 QB recruit the year he graduated from HS and he is terrible. So a lot of people were wrong about him, this happens all the time.

Demler was a good looking high school recruit coming out of Wisconsin. He was the highest regarded QB in the state that year and was talking to UW about a preferred walk on. His style was in the pocket though and he lacked a little of the mobility required to run the Pistol offense that we are transitioning to. His fit into the system probably had more to do with it than his talent.

Demler was a good looking high school recruit coming out of Wisconsin. He was the highest regarded QB in the state that year and was talking to UW about a preferred walk on. His style was in the pocket though and he lacked a little of the mobility required to run the Pistol offense that we are transitioning to. His fit into the system probably had more to do with it than his talent.

Clairvoyant Ole saw all of this coming and we are screwed at QB in 2011 and beyond. ???

Look out, the sky is falling.

You know, I hope I am wrong. I wish all the best to the QB corps we have. I would love to see one or two of them step up and be an All American QB. Based on last year, I do not see it happening. I was just hoping beyond hope that Demler, Comes, or Bradley would come to the fore and be a great QB. Do you have any eligibility left? The QB's from USD and SFU have made our QB's look like statues with cement shoes the last two years. Last year at Idaho Landry looked like a deer in the headlights and that was better than Goska looked later in the season. Hendrickson, well.............enough said. Freund may make a difference, but this program is too important to not find a couple of kids that are of big time quality. Got any other wise comments?

You know, I hope I am wrong. I wish all the best to the QB corps we have. I would love to see one or two of them step up and be an All American QB. Based on last year, I do not see it happening. I was just hoping beyond hope that Demler, Comes, or Bradley would come to the fore and be a great QB. Do you have any eligibility left? The QB's from USD and SFU have made our QB's look like statues with cement shoes the last two years. Last year at Idaho Landry looked like a deer in the headlights and that was better than Goska looked later in the season. Hendrickson, well.............enough said. Freund may make a difference, but this program is too important to not find a couple of kids that are of big time quality. Got any other wise comments?

How about this, Chicken Little?

Wait and see if Bradley and Comes might be the answer in 2011 and beyond. They still have 9 spring ball practices and about 30 fall practices before their first game. You have given both zero chance after 6 practices....in spring ball.

If they both don't live up to expectations and our QB's are horrible at midseason 2011, then by all means carry on with your banter. I suppose you will want to write both off by then. But even then, Comes will still be a freshman and Bradley will still be all that of a sophomore eligibility-wise. They have a combined 7 years of eligibility to play out.

Can you at least give them a chance first? Deal?

Wait and see if Bradley and Comes might be the answer in 2011 and beyond. They still have 9 spring ball practices and about 30 fall practices before their first game. You have given both zero chance after 6 practices....in spring ball.

If they both don't live up to expectations and our QB's are horrible at midseason 2011, then by all means carry on with your banter. I suppose you will want to write both off by then. But even then, Comes will still be a freshman and Bradley will still be all that of a sophomore eligibility-wise. They have a combined 7 years of eligibility to play out.

Hope you are right about Comes and Bradley OR one of the incumbent QB's plays well this year. Since you are so much younger than I, you can wait for this program to "arrive". Me, I have been patient, but it is wearing thin.

Agree; I think many of us get weary of the (constant) negativity. Let's at least give them spring practice, fall camp and a few games into the season before passing judgement. I expect at least one of the four to step up and be the quarterback that our offense needs to lead us to a succesful season.

Sorry I have no elgibility left and even if I did I'd make last years QB play at the end of the season look outstanding. :lol:

I know the comment was wise and I apologize but I want to echo the last two posts, we don't even know who the starter will be. There is a very good chance it is going to be someone who we didn't see take any snaps last season. If we had a new guy coming into any other position we would at least be optimistic that he could fill the spot and do well, I'm not going to change that for the QB spot. I made the comment about Demler because I heard from a few people that the kid was talented but his talents didn't fit the new offensive scheme the offensive coaches have decided to go to. I agree with you its going to make or break next season but I am at least going to give the players a chance to prove themselves before I write them off.

Mussman was pretty frank with his comments a few months ago that if the staff isn't satisfied with the progress of the quarterbacks coming out of spring ball, they would not hesitate to bring at least one more in prior to fall camp. Considering Demler's departure and the fact that Hendrickson could possibly be better-suited to another position, perhaps that may occur even if somebody emerges as a clear-cut number one?

Mussman was pretty frank with his comments a few months ago that if the staff isn't satisfied with the progress of the quarterbacks coming out of spring ball, they would not hesitate to bring at least one more in prior to fall camp. Considering Demler's departure and the fact that Hendrickson could possibly be better-suited to another position, perhaps that may occur even if somebody emerges as a clear-cut number one?

My understanding was that they actually have a couple of QBs in mind if they aren't satisfied with the QB situation at the end of spring ball. It is a little curious, however, how good a kid may be if he is waiting to hear from us as to whether or not we want to bring him in.

IMO, if next season's starting QB is not on the spring roster..........................then we have a major problem.

Until then, let's give the players in practice the chance to prove themselves at every position before we forfeit the 2011 season.................

... I made the comment about Demler because I heard from a few people that the kid was talented but his talents didn't fit the new offensive scheme the offensive coaches have decided to go to. I agree with you its going to make or break next season but I am at least going to give the players a chance to prove themselves before I write them off.

Not questioning the accuracy of your info and, of course, its a moot point now, but I'm wondering about the assessment of the young man's talents. As posted earlier, you never know how recruits will adapt to the college game, but my recollection from signing day a year ago was that Demler was considered the more mobile of the two quarterbacks, and there was some talk at Sioux boosters that he could even play other positions. IIRC, Comes was described as the more classic drop-back passer. I presume with the "pistol," mobility is one of the attributes we're looking for.

I agree with Bin; it'll be concerning if we come out of spring ball and still are searching for a QB. It's not exact science to be sure, but if we've recruited 5 QBs over the past 3 years and can't find anyone capable, then it's time to re-evaluate the recruiting strategy. Definitely looking forward to seeing who can throw the ball at the spring game.

Regarding the whole QB situation, it just seems like very poor strategic planning by the staff. Why would they have recruited Demler and Comes, and then almost immediately after their signing, change the offense to the pistol, which didn't play into Demler's and Comes' strengths? It's that lack of strategic thinking that makes one really wonder about the staff.

That said, any QB reports from the scrimmage?