SiouxSports.com Forum

ND Governor Signed the Fighting Sioux bill today

siouxfan29

Ironically the Herald chooses a picture with the University of Minnesota stepping all over the logo. More evidence of their slant.

Or they thought it was a cool picture, or maybe the idiot who put the picture on there didn't see that it was the Gophers or care.

I doubt the herald staff stated, "put a picture with gophers skating all over the logo to show our disapproval of the logo"

Ironically the Herald chooses a picture with the University of Minnesota stepping all over the logo. More evidence of their slant.

It happens every game. Not a news flash. You're grasping at straws for a conspiracy. What are we going to say next that Schlossman has to be fired!?? :lol: Or, maybe we should say that

everyone but Shloss should be let go, because he writes what we want to read." :silly: The Web layout team who would have chosen that photo are as big a Sioux fans as you and I. Admittedly, the choice in photo could have been better so as to avoid the inevitable cry of "bias" by the vast majority. My first reaction, too, was "why couldn't you just use the same Ben Brien Fighting Sioux logo that is usually used with Fighting Sioux stories." The difference is that I know it wasn't an intentional jab at the pro-nickname crowd and instead just a boneheaded decision. But, then again, why should it matter? Why should they have to walk on egg shells and care about how one side or the other is going to perceive the motives behind a simple photo decision that at any other university town would have been a non-event? That smacks of PC-think: to cave and make decisions that won't offend a certain group. I know it's done all the time with non-nickname issues. But c'mon, they are not showing anything that can't be seen by anyone who attends a game at REA and that isn't shown a thousand times each game night on FSSN.

I will chalk that up to ignorance rather than organized conspiracy to foil the nickname. Jacobs and Dennis' influence isn't as great as some purport it to be. The vast majority of Herald employees are huge Fighting Sioux fans and pro-nicknamers. Jacobs' administrative assistant is as big a Sioux fan as there is. But like any big organization, you are going to have wide-ranging and varied opinions on the matter.

You're opinion is valid and welcomed, don't get me wrong. I wasn't going to write this much, but I get a little worked up with blanket statements that malign the loyalty of some of my good friends and loyal Fighting Sioux fans at the Herald just because of the few that I would describe as having tepid, at best, feelings against the nickname. Don't let the few spoil the bunch! ;)

Go Fighting Sioux and Fighting Sioux forever!

It happens every game. Not a news flash. You're grasping at straws for a conspiracy. What are we going to say next that Schlossman has to be fired!?? :lol: Or, maybe we should say that

everyone but Shloss should be let go, because he writes what we want to read." :silly: The Web layout team who would have chosen that photo are as big a Sioux fans as you and I. Admittedly, the choice in photo could have been better so as to avoid the inevitable cry of "bias" by the vast majority. My first reaction, too, was "why couldn't you just use the same Ben Brien Fighting Sioux logo that is usually used with Fighting Sioux stories." The difference is that I know it wasn't an intentional jab at the pro-nickname crowd and instead just a boneheaded decision. But, then again, why should it matter? Why should they have to walk on egg shells and care about how one side or the other is going to perceive the motives behind a simple photo decision that at any other university town would have been a non-event? That smacks of PC-think: to cave and make decisions that won't offend a certain group. I know it's done all the time with non-nickname issues. But c'mon, they are not showing anything that can't be seen by anyone who attends a game at REA and that isn't shown a thousand times each game night on FSSN.

I will chalk that up to ignorance rather than organized conspiracy to foil the nickname. Jacobs and Dennis' influence isn't as great as some purport it to be. The vast majority of Herald employees are huge Fighting Sioux fans and pro-nicknamers. Jacobs' administrative assistant is as big a Sioux fan as there is. But like any big organization, you are going to have wide-ranging and varied opinions on the matter.

You're opinion is valid and welcomed, don't get me wrong. I wasn't going to write this much, but I get a little worked up with blanket statements that malign the loyalty of some of my good friends and loyal Fighting Sioux fans at the Herald just because of the few that I would describe as having tepid, at best, feelings against the nickname. Don't let the few spoil the bunch! ;)

With the Herald, the bottom line is that Jacobs and Dennis write the editorials, which go a long way to create perceptions in the entire community. Dennis has a world view that is more open, but Jacobs' worldview seems frozen in the 60's post-modern thought. Jacob's recent column about how education is the answer to everything shows how delusional his world view is. Yes, education is extremely important, but Jacobs seems incapable of understanding how integrity and spiritual development are the underpinnings of meaningful human development. If education was the answer, there wouldn't be substance abuse or any host of issues facing humans. Education itself is incapable of eradicating human failings, nor is it capable of giving hope. But nevertheless, Jacobs and many UND professors worship at the altar of the academic ivory tower, which has developed a PC liturgy denies the deeper levels of the human soul and spirit.

The Herald newswriter who is capable of going beyond just intellect and seems to have a deeper and balanced world view is Stephen Lee.

• Upvote 1

With the Herald, the bottom line is that Jacobs and Dennis write the editorials, which go a long way to create perceptions in the entire community. Dennis has a world view that is more open, but Jacobs' worldview seems frozen in the 60's post-modern thought. Jacob's recent column about how education is the answer to everything shows how delusional his world view is. Yes, education is extremely important, but Jacobs seems incapable of understanding how integrity and spiritual development are the underpinnings of meaningful human development. If education was the answer, there wouldn't be substance abuse or any host of issues facing humans. Education itself is incapable of eradicating human failings, nor is it capable of giving hope. But nevertheless, Jacobs and many UND professors worship at the altar of the academic ivory tower, which has developed a PC liturgy denies the deeper levels of the human soul and spirit.

The Herald newswriter who is capable of going beyond just intellect and seems to have a deeper and balanced world view is Stephen Lee.

Good points, Star2city. I respect your opinion and share it as well.

We expect the GF Herald to report the news in a fair and unbiased manner. The editorial page is the place to express their opinion. I agree that it was a poor choice of pictures. I think it is subtly biased against the logo. Was it intentional? We will never know.

We expect the GF Herald to report the news in a fair and unbiased manner. The editorial page is the place to express their opinion. I agree that it was a poor choice of pictures. I think it is subtly biased against the logo. Was it intentional? We will never know.

Very true. However, shouldn't we hold a publication like the Plains Daily to the same standard. Or, and seriously here, maybe it is a different sort of pub that doesn't carry the same responsibilities. Not sure what the new rules are for e-news sites. I would contend that as much overt bias or even bias by omission that we see in the Herald news pages is seen in the Plains Daily. The only difference is that the Plains Daily perspective is what we want to see written, or in other words, it is favorable to the pro-nickname point of view. The Plains Daily clearly has an agenda and I applaud it for pursuing an angle that obviously wasn't being covered, but completely fair and balanced it is not. I think a more complete picture of what might have taken place with "plane gate" can be discerned only after reading both pieces -- the one in the Plains Daily and the reaction piece in the Herald. That's the way news consuming should work... get your information from more than one source. If you limit yourself to one you're usually only getting one side.