SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ Houston Baptist

bincitysioux

We can call it a good win all we want but you guys do realize that HBU is the WORST team in the nation based on rpi rite.

Still i guess kinda tuff traveling but still its the worst team in the nation. Better then losin tho! haha

It's certainly not a great win, but any road win is something of an accomplishment for this program considering how few such wins there have been in recent years.

HBU does have the worst RPI in the country right now, although they did recently beat Middle Tennessee St. from the Sun Belt, which has an RPI of 213.

I'm still not sure how Centenary, with only one dI win (not to mention just three scholarship players), isn't the lowest-ranked team right now.

It's certainly not a great win, but any road win is something of an accomplishment for this program considering how few such wins there have been in recent years.

HBU does have the worst RPI in the country right now, although they did recently beat Middle Tennessee St. from the Sun Belt, which has an RPI of 213.

I'm still not sure how Centenary, with only one dI win (not to mention just three scholarship players), isn't the lowest-ranked team right now.

SOS, if you look at the teams with 300+ RPI there are a lot of Great West, SWAC, and MEAC schools. Those conferences have by far the worst RPIs, so even if you are winning games in those leagues, you are not going to help yourself out much.

SOS, if you look at the teams with 300+ RPI there are a lot of Great West, SWAC, and MEAC schools. Those conferences have by far the worst RPIs, so even if you are winning games in those leagues, you are not going to help yourself out much.

But a win is a win. It gives the team confidence that wouldn't be there if we lose to these 300+ RPI teams. Its something to build on. Good job Sioux!!!! Keep the wins coming.

I understand that, but my point is that realistically, a good case could be made that Centenary is in actuality the worst team in the country, even though using RPI as the sole measuring stick, they are not. It's difficult to conceive of a dI team losing to a team with three scholarship players, but obviously Western Illinois managed to do so.

RPI does not make alot of sense. UND92,96 has a great point with a team like Centennary with only 1 win. Houston Baptist has lost alot of close games and have been in every conference game they have played this year. We have lost several close games to teams between 100 and 200 I believe on the road but it doesnt matter how close you are, you drop with a lose. If you are ranked 300 and lose to a team that is 150 by 3-4 points on the road why do you drop further down? Our next opponent is Pan American and their RPI is next to last and they just beat South Dakota last night. Bottom line is we won and in the scheme of things that is all that matters. It just gets blown out in major proportions if we lose to a team with a worse RPI. Go Sioux

Kenpom and Sagarin basically say the same thing as RPI, except they both have HBU slightly above Centenary.

Even though I freely admit that it makes no difference in the scheme of things, I look at it this way:

Houston Baptist has two rather good wins--Middle Tennessee St. (213) and Texas State (231).

Centenary has one win total, and it was against Western Illinois (337).

So even though I realize strength of schedule plays a big role in the computer rankings, and the Great West teams all have low strengths of schedule, it really seems that common sense suggests that Centenary has far more of a claim to the coveted "worst dI team in America" title than does Houston Baptist. ;)

Even though I freely admit that it makes no difference in the scheme of things, I look at it this way:

Houston Baptist has two rather good wins--Middle Tennessee St. (213) and Texas State (231).

So even though I realize strength of schedule plays a big role in the computer rankings, and the Great West teams all have low strengths of schedule, it really seems that common sense suggests that Centenary has far more of a claim to the coveted "worst dI team in America" title than does Houston Baptist. ;)

If the rankings counted DII loses it would probably be a enough to put Centenary over the edge and I know Sagarin and RPI just ignore non-DI games.

A couple of years from now will someone be looking back at this years record and saying, "well yeah it was a win, but Houston Baptist had a low RPI"? Not likely.

It is going to count as a "W" in the record book and locks the Sioux into the #3 seed in the Great West.

What I do find amazing is that for as low as HBU is ranked in the RPI, they have the fifth highest scorer in the country, Gonzalez.

To me Houston Baptist regardless of their RPI is a very dangerous team with Gonzalez. What scares me even more is if I read the standings correctly and it ended today we would play Houston Baptist in the first round of the conference tournament. OUCH. Of course there are no easy games in this conference with the parity. Go Sioux

middle tennessee and texas st arent good wins

middle tennessee and texas st arent good wins

That's your argument?

This pops into my head from Billy Madison:

"What you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."

RPI would indicate they are ranked 213 and 231. Which is better than W Illinois. Which is all UND92,96 was saying.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of not having any good wins on their resume, I noticed that Gods gift to basketball just had another first round flameout at the Summit tourney. Nice effort.

For someone from a school that is bringing up last place of the 4 Dakota schools in their transition I wouldn't say too much.

For someone from a school that is bringing up last place of the 4 Dakota schools in their transition I wouldn't say too much.

Unless NDSU and SDSU are still in transition...I would counter that UND is in "first place of the (2) Dakota schools in their transition".

;)

GO SIOUX