SiouxSports.com Forum

Music At the Ralph

It's more fun Drunk

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like the band to play more, but I'd also like it if they didn't stink. They don't know any songs. Other than the beersong and school songs, what else do they play? They have the same halftime show for every FB game. I've heard they don't practice. What's the point? The band could be very good, but instead they suck as of now and as a result I think that there is alot more piped music.

I'd like the band to play more, but I'd also like it if they didn't stink. They don't know any songs. Other than the beersong and school songs, what else do they play? They have the same halftime show for every FB game. I've heard they don't practice. What's the point? The band could be very good, but instead they suck as of now and as a result I think that there is alot more piped music.

Figured I should chime in since I was in the band. To begin with, the band practices a lot. Not as much as big time schools, but they do practice. We are there a week before school starts and during that week we work all day. During FB season we pratice three times a week for at least an hour and a half. Saturdays really blow. We are at the Al to practice at 9 and then have to march around outside and then the game starts. After the game we play some more. Don't even get me started on parades.

The shows stay the same when games are back to back at home. It isn't easy learning where to stand plus music in one week. Many of us aren't music majors.

Hockey is different and isn't nearly the same as it was. Not sure how many seats we get, but less than 60. Keep in mind that drums take two to three seats each. The band normally has around 100 ( i heard less this year), so not everyone gets to go to hockey. Having the band miked is the gayest thing of all time, but a necessary evil.

The new Ralph never gave the band a chance to play. Not even sure why we are there, because playing the same commercials for two straight years seemed way more important to them. If you've ever been to the Frozen Four/Final Five, you realize how nice it is to have a band. Especially if the other school comes. My first year at the Final Five at the Target Center our fans made us play and march all the way to the alumni party after the games. They really enjoyed it. I did too, and that was why I played.

If you've ever been to the Frozen Four/Final Five, you realize how nice it is to have a band. Especially if the other school comes. My first year at the Final Five at the Target Center our fans made us play and march all the way to the alumni party after the games. They really enjoyed it. I did too, and that was why I played.

I love having the band at these games, I think they're great.

I remember in 2000 marching from the Target Center to the celebration in the hotel singing "In Heaven There Is No Beer" all the way there. Second best only winning championships.

Having had a fairly successful high school and college music "career" I will guess that when it comes to trumpets, a lot of their problems come from overblowing. Some of their chops just can't handle it.

Trying to hit high notes that they can't get to.

I was in the hockey band at one point. Let me tell you, Miking the band is a necessary evil but the mike the WRONG instruments. THey Mike the drums, the trumpets and trombones, and then they have two Mikes for everything else. Or they did. They shouldn't mike the brass at all. Just have two Mikes set up for the Brass and the Drums and then heavily Mike everyone else.

And the best thing that couldhappen to the hockey band is that the department gets some standards. Blais axes players who cannot play (Siembida, Fournier, etc) We should hack band members who can't play. Make the trumpets stop blowing hard.

I think that if everyone didn't realize that they sucked (in other words, they improved) you'd see less piped in music

I was in the hockey band at one point. Let me tell you, Miking the band is a necessary evil but the mike the WRONG instruments. THey Mike the drums, the trumpets and trombones, and then they have two Mikes for everything else. Or they did. They shouldn't mike the brass at all. Just have two Mikes set up for the Brass and the Drums and then heavily Mike everyone else.

And the best thing that couldhappen to the hockey band is that the department gets some standards. Blais axes players who cannot play (Siembida, Fournier, etc) We should hack band members who can't play. Make the trumpets stop blowing hard.

I think that if everyone didn't realize that they sucked (in other words, they improved) you'd see less piped in music

I like your thinking.

BTW, thank you guys for helping me with song names/titles. I listen to music, but don't ever know who sings stuff. I've already gone to this wonderful invention called the internet to download........the cds...into..my...shopping....cart. Yeah...that it.