SiouxSports.com Forum

Anyone else get their Final 5 Tix and are absolutely

beebsb010

I look at it this way, the Final Five is an excuse to get out of work with paid vacation and reload and get mentally prepared for the spring and summer. I am sure once the Big Ten Hockey Farce is upon us the WCHA may look at revamping the WCHA conference tourney. I could care less what my tickets look like... Like someone mentioned earlier the new Broadmoor Throphy is ugly. Nice that the Sioux won the first new one though...

I live in Minneapolis, so I'm not all stressed about the format. HOWEVER, I'm currently working a temp job and time off is NOT easy to get. Had the format stayed the same, I wouldn't have an issue, but now I have to worry about figuring out leaving work early due to the early start times on Thursday and Friday. SO thrilled. Oh well, could be worse. Maybe I'll go late to the first Thursday game and just worry about Friday. I do have the Frozen Four to worry about too. That said, I'm ready for the Final Five and wish it would get here already!

I look at it this way, the Final Five is an excuse to get out of work with paid vacation and reload and get mentally prepared for the spring and summer. I am sure once the Big Ten Hockey Farce is upon us the WCHA may look at revamping the WCHA conference tourney. I could care less what my tickets look like... Like someone mentioned earlier the new Broadmoor Throphy is ugly. Nice that the Sioux won the first new one though...

Oh, no, I agree. Folks like you and I consider the Final Five like a holiday. However, not everyone does, there are plenty of fans who go only if their team is in, which is okay. Imagine flying in from Anchorage to see them get bounced on thursday, compared with flying in from Anchorage and seeing three games like their fans got in 2004.

Oh, no, I agree. Folks like you and I consider the Final Five like a holiday. However, not everyone does, there are plenty of fans who go only if their team is in, which is okay. Imagine flying in from Anchorage to see them get bounced on thursday, compared with flying in from Anchorage and seeing three games like their fans got in 2004.

Yeah, my wife never understood why I would go to a hockey tourney if UND wasn't in it. I tell her every year I am going regardless if the Sioux are in it or not. It's my Mecca every spring. I have gone since the Final Five was in the Target Center. The Final Five is kind of like a rejuvenation of getting rid of the winter yuck. I am not sure how much longer my wife will let me get away with spending the weekend in the cities having a good time without her.

Edited by Goon

Goon,

do you think they will keep the Final Five (Or whatever it's called) in St. Paul if they create the BTHC? I am worried they would move it to Denver.

Goon,

do you think they will keep the Final Five (Or whatever it's called) in St. Paul if they create the BTHC? I am worried they would move it to Denver.

Yeah I don't know, isn't the Xcel Energy contractually locked up into the proposed BTHC start? I would love to see the WCHA conference tourney go to the REA or Omaha as well

Edited by Goon

I was actually going to start this thread! Wasn't too happy not seeing black ice on the cover of my tickets.. Glad you called the X actually, just to see what was up. I guess it makes sense being that the tournament (EDIT: League consists of two more teams) consists of two more teams, o'well. I do hope there is another way to restructure this tournament for years to come. In my opinion, the 7:30 game on Thursday was perfect! Now 3 pm and 7:30 (or whatever it is)..... I don't know how much can be done in restructuring it, but the Wild game shouldn't even be tossed into the advertisement of this tournament, unless the tickets are free :) Glad to see sioux sports finest are coming out to rip on you beebs for voicing your opinions....

Thanks bro, I guess I'm lame in the fact that I was actually looking forward to seeing the Sioux on the face of my tickets this year after having to see the teams I hate on them for the last few years. Wow...what a pathetic life I have. :lol:

Thanks bro, I guess I'm lame in the fact that I was actually looking forward to seeing the Sioux on the face of my tickets this year after having to see the teams I hate on them for the last few years. Wow...what a pathetic life I have. :lol:

I agree with Luapsided, I think it's pretty bogus that the Sioux aren't on the face of the tickets as well. I noticed that too beebs.

I also agree with Luapsided in that it's funny that so many trolls come out of the closet to blast a guy for voicing his opinion on something that alot of other people were probably thinking as well. Talk about having "no lives". Bunch of clowns.

Nice post beebs, TOTALLY agree with ya!

Goon,

Are you assuming the BTHC would snag St. Paul for its conference tourney? My guess is the BTHC would choose Chicago or something more "Big Ten"

There would still be 4 Minnesota teams in the WCHA, so St. Paul would still make a lot of sense for the WCHA. Omaha certainly has the facility. Denver wouldn't draw well IMO.

I was more pissed about being called "North Dakota State", and having other hockey fans at the WCHA Final Five tell me that it wasn't that big of a deal.....

I don't care what the tickets look like, as long as I have them. :lol:

PS: If Minnesota and Wisconsin leave that means that it would probably go back to being the old final five system with a third place game. I like the new system. Lose and you go home!

Are you assuming the BTHC would snag St. Paul for its conference tourney? My guess is the BTHC would choose Chicago or something more "Big Ten"

There would still be 4 Minnesota teams in the WCHA, so St. Paul would still make a lot of sense for the WCHA. Omaha certainly has the facility. Denver wouldn't draw well IMO.

I would imagine that some member schools would not like it if it was in St. Paul every year. The Joe would be another option if the BTHC decided to eff over the CCHA. The Bradley Center too. Or Columbus's arena. I doubt Michigan, Sparty, tOSU and Penn State would be as willing to roll over and let MN (and to some extent UW) have the home field advantage every year. tWCHA would probably use the Xcel and in the years where the BTHC rotated into tX, the tourney would be in Denver.

Adding Miami and ND to the conference would be sweet and would certainly keep the level of competition high.

I would imagine that some member schools would not like it if it was in St. Paul every year. The Joe would be another option if the BTHC decided to eff over the CCHA. The Bradley Center too. Or Columbus's arena. I doubt Michigan, Sparty, tOSU and Penn State would be as willing to roll over and let MN (and to some extent UW) have the home field advantage every year. tWCHA would probably use the Xcel and in the years where the BTHC rotated into tX, the tourney would be in Denver.

Adding Miami and ND to the conference would be sweet and would certainly keep the level of competition high.

Wait till Minnesota finds out the Big Ten is more than the Golden Gophers , you're going to have 6 schools that are run by people with big egos and all trying to maximize their profit... I bet you will see some grumbling down in Minnesota when there is no more automatic Gophers getting the night game even when they got a win in the play in game. Wait till their new league fawning all over them. When there is a Big Ten Hockey Farce Conference can they take the on ice buffoons that we call refs?

Wait till Minnesota finds out the Big Ten is more than the Golden Gophers , you're going to have 6 schools that are run by people with big egos and all trying to maximize their profit... I bet you will see some grumbling down in Minnesota when there is no more automatic Gophers getting the night game even when they got a win in the play in game. Wait till their new league fawning all over them. When there is a Big Ten Hockey Farce Conference can they take the on ice buffoons that we call refs?

I'm sure the BTHC will make sure the Gofers know that they are special... :)

Minny definitely has the most to lose in the Big Ten scenario...what happens to their TV deal with FSN? Where is the Big Ten conference tourney to be held? (referenced above) They also potentially lose out on playing teams of historical significance (UND, DU, CC) and teams with local ties (UMD, St Cloud, Mankato, Bermidji). What's the attendance at Mariucci looking like with Ohio State and Penn State coming in vs the traditional WCHA teams? Could be tough for a couple years anyway...

Also, you replace series that were primarily short bus rides for airline flights to Columbus, Happy Valley, etc. That will cost them a few bucks as well.

Big Ten Hockey Conference is BAD for college hockey, imo.

Minny definitely has the most to lose in the Big Ten scenario...what happens to their TV deal with FSN? Where is the Big Ten conference tourney to be held? (referenced above) They also potentially lose out on playing teams of historical significance (UND, DU, CC) and teams with local ties (UMD, St Cloud, Mankato, Bermidji). What's the attendance at Mariucci looking like with Ohio State and Penn State coming in vs the traditional WCHA teams? Could be tough for a couple years anyway...

Also, you replace series that were primarily short bus rides for airline flights to Columbus, Happy Valley, etc. That will cost them a few bucks as well.

I agree UMTC has the most to lose. However, the smaller conference schedule is a huge boon for them. They will travel to 5 conference series, probably also travel to UND, and force everyone else to play them in their rink or never play them again.

What you just mentioned here are all the concerns I have as well. I can tell you one thing, I'm gonna save a TON of money on roadtrips......because there are none I'm gonna want to make anymore. Other then Michigan and Michigan State I'd have no interest in seeing any of the other schools. The TV thing scares me too, we've been downright spoiled over the years with about 95% of Gopher games televised, will be tough to say what will happen when the BTC happens. At least with only six teams we'll still be able to schedule games with the UND's, UMD's, SCSU and some of the other local flavors, but will Minnesota strongarm them and say if you want to play the Gophers you have to play them at Mariucci, which is what I'm afraid will happen as well. Gonna miss the roadtrips to SCSU, Kato, Grand Forks, and most of all DULUTH!!

Miami and ND would be excellent additions!

I also would be interested to see how the "super confrence" idea would work. There has got to be a way that they don't destroy one of the automatic bids. I worry about some CCHA schools when talking about the BTHC. There are some great programs with fantastic histories that could be in jeopardy.

I do agree that the BTHC could create growth in college hockey. Although I worry that the growth will not be worth the negatives.

Whatever is on the tickets this year is obviously a downgrade from whatever they had on the tickets last year...

I am sure the tickets are expensive to print up and they might have cut back because of budgetary concerns as well. I don't care what they tickets look like.

I am there...

I ordered my tickets on January 25 and they just arrived on Thursday. I was starting to get a wee bit concerned, but now all is well.

I called a 3 weeks ago because I hadn't received my tickets. Ticketmaster informed me that the tickets were sent to tX and then mailed to the respected ticket holder. They also said that if I hadn't received them by March 1st I should call again, sure enough I got mine two weeks ago!

Do those that buy the same seats every year get a discounted price, or are they the same face value of a new buyer ($160)? Bought from a Gopher fan last year, but may do the box office buy this year to have the option next year.

No discount price. Just opportunity to renew same seats and maybe get an upgrade.

Also, they throw in a 1970's WCHA history dvd. Next year will be the 80's. Then the 90's. Then the '00's.

No discount price. Just opportunity to renew same seats and maybe get an upgrade.

Also, they throw in a 1970's WCHA history dvd. Next year will be the 80's. Then the 90's. Then the '00's.

Thanks, are the ticketmaster charges added in to the renewal?