SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux @ MSU - Sunday edition

AZSIOUX

I don't get what makes people like you bow down to a player like Genoway so much. It makes me wonder if you even watch the games because it's obvious that as good as he is at offense, his defense has been brutal at times (completely ignoring the fact that his primary responsibility IS defense).

You think I don't like having Chay on my team, which is completely false. I like Chay Genoway's game a lot. I'm just pointing out that he can make the spectacular touchdown throw when you think the play is dead...but he also throws the game-changing pick far too often for someone of his age and skill.

I'm sorry for speaking my mind, I will get on my knees for Mr. Chay Genoway like the rest of you. Anyone have some extra knee pads? I'm not used to this sort of thing.

I wonder if we'll find out that Genoway was one of the guys that was nicked up this past weekend. Hak mentioned some guys may not play because they were dinged, but other than the 2 we knew about, everyone appeared to play. Could be. I thought Genoway was gutty from what I saw on Friday night. He was perfect, but he saved at least one goal and made some other very good plays. I know he had a turnover yesterday as well, but if he's one of the guys dinged up I'll give him a pass.

I don't disagree with you entirely. Chay hasn't always been perfect on D, but what he brings offensively from his position more than offsets the rest, IMO.

I wonder if we'll find out that Genoway was one of the guys that was nicked up this past weekend. Hak mentioned some guys may not play because they were dinged, but other than the 2 we knew about, everyone appeared to play. Could be. I thought Genoway was gutty from what I saw on Friday night. He was perfect, but he saved at least one goal and made some other very good plays. I know he had a turnover yesterday as well, but if he's one of the guys dinged up I'll give him a pass.

I don't disagree with you entirely. Chay hasn't always been perfect on D, but what he brings offensively from his position more than offsets the rest, IMO.

I do think Chay gets caught up ice a lot trying to do too much at times. When Finley was here Chay

I think the standings speak for themselves.

I do too but the Sioux are still going to have to tighten up on the power play, defensively and in goal if they want to bring home number 8. They can not turn the puck over against B.C. and expect to win number 8 as well. They will also have to eliminate power plays by the oppostion if they want to win 8. There is a lot of talent on this team and "IF" they can get everyone going they will be scarey...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I do too but the Sioux are still going to have to tighten up on the power play, defensively and in goal if they want to bring home number 8. They can not turn the puck over against B.C. and expect to win number 8 as well. They will also have to eliminate power plays by the oppostion if they want to win 8. There is a lot of talent on this team and "IF" they can get everyone going they will be scarey...

I'm still an Eidsness fan, but I'm not sure there's much room for improvement in net. This last stretch of games has featured the best goaltending we've seen from the Sioux in several years, IMO.

Aside from the obvious problem of Genoway sucking so bad, the main flaw on the team right now is the power play. I'm pleased they're often able to set it up and generate good chances, but eventually that needs to translate into goals. The numbers weren't great even with Gregoire and Hextall, so their return won't necessarily fix it, but it may help.

Three conference road sweeps in the first half is impressive. The Sioux have not been blowing people away, but solid goaltending has kept them in games when they're not at their best, and strong play from the seniors plus strong third periods have turned close games into wins.

• Downvote 1

I'm still an Eidsness fan, but I'm not sure there's much room for improvement in net. This last stretch of games has featured the best goaltending we've seen from the Sioux in several years, IMO.

Aside from the obvious problem of Genoway sucking so bad, the main flaw on the team right now is the power play. I'm pleased they're often able to set it up and generate good chances, but eventually that needs to translate into goals. The numbers weren't great even with Gregoire and Hextall, so their return won't necessarily fix it, but it may help.

Three conference road sweeps in the first half is impressive. The Sioux have not been blowing people away, but solid goaltending has kept them in games when they're not at their best, and strong play from the seniors plus strong third periods have turned close games into wins.

I think there is always room for improvement in all parts of the game. I don't think Chay has sucked.

you cannot be serious?

Yes, I'd agree with this.

Yes, our power play is not good at all: 18 goals in 102 opportunities (17.6%) is nearly woeful. Add to that giving up 3 shorties...

I do disagree with your characterization of Genoway's play; it took him awhile to get back to speed, but since then he has added that "whoa! watch out for this guy" dynamic to the Sioux attack. I'd imagine that opposing players cringe when they see Chay heading up ice with the puck.

Yes.

• Upvote 1

I do disagree with your characterization of Genoway's play; it took him awhile to get back to speed, but since then he has added that "whoa! watch out for this guy" dynamic to the Sioux attack. I'd imagine that opposing players cringe when they see Chay heading up ice with the puck.

Sarcasm alert, mikejm. You need to read up a few posts. ;)

Yeah, sorry, I left out the emoticon. I think Genoway's mistakes and weaknesses (on display seemingly frequently because of his many touches) are far, far outweighed by his strengths: his extremely dynamic play, high compete level, and leadership.

Depends on what you consider "several years", because JP Lamoureux played pretty awesome for much of his senior season and was starting to garner some quiet Hobey talks in January of that season. Too bad the season ended the way it did. :(

In WCHA games only, the Sioux powerplay is #8, while the PK is #1. Agree with the comments above about our PP needing to be better ....

Given our depth at D, ... I'd be inclined to use 2 D and 3 F rather than a 4-forward approach ... and getting some underclassmen (Forbort, Simpson) some time would help reload next year's team.

Love that PK number - wow - over 87% - I remember when "under 20%" was a good PK.

Power Play: Totals SHA PCT

1 Wisconsin 15/ 63 2 23.8

2 Minnesota Duluth 15/ 68 0 22.1

3 Colorado College 16/ 74 5 21.6

4 Bemidji State 11/ 53 1 20.8

5 Michigan Tech 9/ 49 3 18.4

6 Denver 10/ 55 1 18.2

7 Nebraska-Omaha 8/ 46 1 17.4

8 North Dakota 11/ 68 1 16.2

9 Minnesota State 12/ 75 3 16.0

10 Minnesota 9/ 57 1 15.8

11 St. Cloud State 10/ 68 0 14.7

12 Alaska Anchorage 8/ 65 3 12.3

Penalty Kill: Totals SHF PCT

1 North Dakota 48/ 55 1 87.3

2 Wisconsin 54/ 62 1 87.1

3 Colorado College 40/ 46 1 87.0

4 Nebraska-Omaha 51/ 60 0 85.0

5 Minnesota State 67/ 79 2 84.8

6 St. Cloud State 50/ 59 2 84.7

7 Minnesota Duluth 49/ 59 4 83.1

8 Denver 59/ 74 3 79.7

9 Bemidji State 58/ 73 0 79.5

10 Alaska Anchorage 51/ 65 2 78.5

11 Minnesota 45/ 61 2 73.8

12 Michigan Tech 35/ 48 3 72.9

In WCHA games only, the Sioux powerplay is #8, while the PK is #1. Agree with the comments above about our PP needing to be better ....

Given our depth at D, ... I'd be inclined to use 2 D and 3 F rather than a 4-forward approach ... and getting some underclassmen (Forbort, Simpson) some time would help reload next year's team.

Agreed - with everyone healthy Forbort/Genoway Simpson/Marto combos would be effective. Forbort and Simpson are good "distributors" - they both move the puck quickly and can find the open man. While Frattin has a great shot from the point, he would be better up front on the half-wall, waiting for a cross-box pass and a one timer. Ditto for Kristo.

Agreed - with everyone healthy Forbort/Genoway Simpson/Marto combos would be effective. Forbort and Simpson are good "distributors" - they both move the puck quickly and can find the open man. While Frattin has a great shot from the point, he would be better up front on the half-wall, waiting for a cross-box pass and a one timer. Ditto for Kristo.

I agree about Kristo moving back up, but with Frattin, you don't fix what isn't broken.

I liken Frattin's wrister from the point to Duncan's wrister from his "spot". It's kind of the same thing going on where it seems like 80% of his goals come from the same spot. The defense knows it's coming and they still can't stop it.

I agree about Kristo moving back up, but with Frattin, you don't fix what isn't broken.

I liken Frattin's wrister from the point to Duncan's wrister from his "spot". It's kind of the same thing going on where it seems like 80% of his goals come from the same spot. The defense knows it's coming and they still can't stop it.

Agree, most of the time opponents will give up the shot from the point on the powerplay. Who better to take that shot in more open space than Frattin. If he is down low they are more apt to key on his shot, and he isn't quite as good of a stickhandler as Kristo who could then either stickhandle towards the goal, or get it back to the point. If they do choose to key on Frattin at the point, they open up something better down low. Didn't they say all but one of Frattin's goals are from outside the faceoff dots? If that is the case, let him keep ripping them on the powerplay from there.

It is broken - our PP numbers are terrible. Put the scorers up front and keep the playmakers on top.

It is broken - our PP numbers are terrible. Put the scorers up front and keep the playmakers on top.

It is broken, but Frattin isn't the reason why. He has 6 of the 11 PP goals. Only one player in the country has more PP goals. Then, add in the fact that Frattin creates other goals when on the ice for the PP. Not to mention at least one or two goals Frattin has scored with in a couple seconds of a PP ending that don't count as a PP goal.

It's the other lines that aren't doing squat, mainly when Kristo is out there. Kristo and Genoway are launching all these shots into traffic over and over from the point hoping for the best. Frattin arguably does the same thing; however, Frattin takes his time, finds a hole, and puts it right where he wants it, resulting in a quality shot in a place where the goalie can't see it nor stop it. He doesn't shoot blindly into nothing like Chay and Danny over and over.

No Brett Hextall and no Jason Gregoire spells much of the same story for at least a little while longer as well, as both are good PP guys.

• Downvote 1