Thanks for those links.

Championships by school

Central - 26

RRHS - 13

Grafton - 5

Fargo South - 3

Fargo North - 3

Minot - 1

1 championship from the west is simply amazing. Considering each year they get 4 seeds, that's 4 opportunities to win it. You'd think the numbers would work out a little better for the west.

1 championship from the west is simply amazing. Considering each year they get 4 seeds, that's 4 opportunities to win it. You'd think the numbers would work out a little better for the west.

Yes, the west gets four seeds per year, and they call them 1W, 2W, 3W, and 4W, but more often than not they work out to be effectively the 5-8 seeds in the tournament.

i was there for the WF and Minot game. Did they get a memo before the game that they were only allowed to check a few times each...lol I almost fell asleep. Minot no offensive what so ever and i truly believe WF was going like 80% maybe because ALOT of the shots were pretty weak ones just my opionion. Well day 2 today....

The East/West regions have been relatively recent. In the 70's and 80's, the regions were North / South, so the west rarely had teams in state. Minot and Bismarck didn't even sponsor teams until the mid-70's. The east/west setup was made to help western ND hockey progress, but it arguably be better for western hockey development if they went back to North/South regions.

Hockey at the HS level is most often determined by the organization and numbers at the youth level. The two schools to watch out for in the future are West Fargo and Fargo Davies as well as the Bismarcks (who, if they played in the EDC, would be much better prepared).

ND youth hockey does the North/South arrangement already.

I love the Ralph, but I think it'd serve the Western teams better if the State tourney moved around. Have it in Minot, Bismarck, Fargo, and GF on a four year rotation. Bring that level of hockey out West, let there fans see the level of hockey in the East in person, make the Eastern schools travel for a change. Might even things out a bit in the long run.

The NDSHAA is all about money. They owuldnt make that much money out west as they do in GF. GF is a hockey town. THe west is BBALL/Wrestling/Hockey towns. GF lives and dies by hockey. Mor often then not the casual observer would walk in to the ralph to see a high school hockey game then walk in to the better to see the UND mens/womens play. I guearentee you that the hockey games tomorrow have more poeple at it then the sioux mens/womens ball games.

3 times in the pastten years the attendance has been over 5000. Is there arenas out there that can hold that many? If you ask most of th kds they woudl say the gal s to play in on of the best hockey facilities in NA in one that the #1 rated hockey team in the USA skates in.

It too bad that montana doesnt have good quality hockey. The best for the east is that there are much much clsoer to the state that produces the most hockey talent so the east teams can play tem more asily then the west. If the east plays the west more times during the season, which im not opposed to but the argument can be made that the state tournement isnt that special cuz the teams have already palyed this year. I wouldnt mind the North/South arrangement but im afriand wed probally see RR GPR GFC and maybe one team from the orginal west in the state every year and the south would be more of a crap shoot though.

I would like to see better hockey state-wide too, but I don't think holding the state tournament in an inferior venue out west is going to help those western teams get better. It starts with the youth programs. Unfortunately I think the only way it is ever going to happen is if the western teams start traveling more. We're lucky here in the Fargo/GF area to have a lot of good competition within an hour drive in any direction, while they don't have that advantage out west.

I think state should stay at the Ralph as a reward for the teams that qualify to play in the best venue. However, I do not like that GF gets both East Region and state. I think now that Fargo has the UP Center they should host the East Region tournament. I've heard a rumor that state is going to be at the UP in a couple of years. If so, then GF should have East Region that year. I don't think the regional and state tournament should ever be held in the same city in the same year. Too much of an advantage for the teams from host city in that particular scenario.

State wil lbe at the urban plans or scheels arena in 2014 i believe. So the 13-14 season it will be at the urbans plain and they wll see how it does.

As for edc, i hear they are just going to rotate it. I also agree with u that the edc and state shoudl be in opposite towns HOWEVER talked with numerous people who are in administrator roles and said that they actually LOST moeny last year at the urbans plains cuz of low attendance. THe urban plains will have it shot at state and hopefully they embrace it or it may never be back.

Also the peopel that i talked to say that the EDC is the most profitable hockey tournamnet cuz of the lwo rent at purpur. Even more then the state tourney unless the trouney gets more then 7500 paid fans total. Which may happen this year as either gpr or gfc will for sure be in th title game and gpr brings the whole town and gfc is the hoemtown team. Best case scenario is gfc vs gfrr and the rea may open up the balcony for the 2nd time ever.

The NDSHAA is all about money. They owuldnt make that much money out west as they do in GF. GF is a hockey town. THe west is BBALL/Wrestling/Hockey towns. GF lives and dies by hockey. Mor often then not the casual observer would walk in to the ralph to see a high school hockey game then walk in to the better to see the UND mens/womens play. I guearentee you that the hockey games tomorrow have more poeple at it then the sioux mens/womens ball games.

3 times in the pastten years the attendance has been over 5000. Is there arenas out there that can hold that many? If you ask most of th kds they woudl say the gal s to play in on of the best hockey facilities in NA in one that the #1 rated hockey team in the USA skates in.

I agree with you, but I also enjoy spell check. ;) (Just giving you crap)

I would like to see better hockey state-wide too, but I don't think holding the state tournament in an inferior venue out west is going to help those western teams get better. It starts with the youth programs. Unfortunately I think the only way it is ever going to happen is if the western teams start traveling more. We're lucky here in the Fargo/GF area to have a lot of good competition within an hour drive in any direction, while they don't have that advantage out west.

I think state should stay at the Ralph as a reward for the teams that qualify to play in the best venue. However, I do not like that GF gets both East Region and state. I think now that Fargo has the UP Center they should host the East Region tournament. I've heard a rumor that state is going to be at the UP in a couple of years. If so, then GF should have East Region that year. I don't think the regional and state tournament should ever be held in the same city in the same year. Too much of an advantage for the teams from host city in that particular scenario.

I agree with you as far as Fargo/UP hosting the East region, but State? not sure I agree with this, UP (or is it called Scheels Arena now?) seats just under 5,000 right? they would be turning people away, not every game, it depends on who is playing, but there would be games where they would be.

Red River has dominated the rest of the state (including Central) for the better part of the last 25 or so years. Since 1987, South and Grafton are a lot closer to Central than Central is to Red River.

I wouldn't say RR has dominated Central for the past 25 years. Central has won plenty of titles in the last 25 years, although the power shifts yearly between Central and RR the past 10 years.

And when GFRR play GFC they woulda had to . I think attandance was 6500 a couple years back and another time it was 5500.

Most title games are between 4000 and 5500.

Like I said, depends on who is playing................they also had a game at REA between Central and Grafton that was 9,000+

And when GFRR play GFC they woulda had to . I think attandance was 6500 a couple years back and another time it was 5500.

Most title games are between 4000 and 5500.

In 2003 or 04, RR played Central in the final at the Ralph. There had to be 8500+ people there.

A North/South breakdown would lead to better balance between the conferences. The East has always dominated and that will contine for the foreseeable future.

Geographically, a North/South conference is a bad idea. We live in a long state. For a GF team to go to Williston or Dickinson to visit the Fargo schools would require an entire day of travel. Gas and hotel prices then become an issue. I don't think the school systems across the state would be happy with increased costs like that.

Can't wait to see some more great North Dakota High School Hockey tonight!

I wouldn't say RR has dominated Central for the past 25 years. Central has won plenty of titles in the last 25 years, although the power shifts yearly between Central and RR the past 10 years.

Red River has won 8 of the last 15 titles. I would call that dominant. And it looks like they have a great chance to win it this year.

State wil lbe at the urban plans or scheels arena in 2014 i believe. So the 13-14 season it will be at the urbans plain and they wll see how it does.

Link: NDHSAA tournament sites for 2010-2015

As stated, Grand Forks loses the state hockey tournament in 2014, but gains the State Class B Basketball in 2012 and 2014. Not sure if that tournament will be at the Alerus or at Engelstad.

Link: NDHSAA tournament sites for 2010-2015

As stated, Grand Forks loses the state hockey tournament in 2014, but gains the State Class B Basketball in 2012 and 2014. Not sure if that tournament will be at the Alerus or at Engelstad.

This makes me sad. High School tourney should stay in GF, just like Minnesota's stays in St Paul. GF is North Dakota hockey...there is something sacred about nostalgia and history that is superordinate to change...in sports especially. Add in THE elite college hockey program in the country and the finest facility in amateur hockey in the world...the goal is not to increase the number of hockey programs, it is to improve the overall quality of hockey in the state. Lastly, why should Fargo get one more feather...the other North Dakota cities are quietly fading away

1961: Grand Forks Central

1962: GF Central

1963: GF Central

1964: GF Central

1965: GF Central

1966: GF Central

1967: GF Central

1968: GF Central

1969: GF Central

1970: GF Central

1971: GF Central

1972: GF Central