SiouxSports.com Forum

Jacks game

Matt

I would anticipate the Jacks' staff will be smart enough to figure out what everyone here seems to have done: stack the box and make the QB flavor of the day beat you with his arm.

The question for the Sioux staff this week: how do you get an efficient passing game? We know they are capable of hitting the deep ball, but I don't think that is what will win this game. Let's say they do get 7-10 points off hitting on a couple deep passes. I think it will be the ability to convert on the many 3rd and 6+ situations which are likely to be there on Saturday, with an efficient passing game that will be the difference between winning a tight game, and losing by 3 or more scores.

I would anticipate the Jacks' staff will be smart enough to figure out what everyone here seems to have done: stack the box and make the QB flavor of the day beat you with his arm.

The question for the Sioux staff this week: how do you get an efficient passing game? We know they are capable of hitting the deep ball, but I don't think that is what will win this game. Let's say they do get 7-10 points off hitting on a couple deep passes. I think it will be the ability to convert on the many 3rd and 6+ situations which are likely to be there on Saturday, with an efficient passing game that will be the difference between winning a tight game, and losing by 3 or more scores.

With inefficient or incapable QB's you need to utilize the screen game. The stable of the sioux back in the day used to be the swipe action FB screen. For the last couple of years we've gotten away from that with tibesar at FB, however when it was used it was effective. I specifically remember him catching that and turning up the sidelines multiple times for 15/20 yards. Now that we have a former RB, in solum at FB why not use it again?

Another screen option that has DISAPPEARED was the WR bubble screen. Again the past couple of years, with Trenbeth, Bamba and Konrath we didn't have the "weston" type of player to utilize this play. Now, in my opinion we have two of those types in Hardin and RJ.

Quick, simple passes that stretch the field and keep the defense somewhat honest.

Now I'm not a FB genius, I've coached at many levels however and this is a given technique with QB's who aren't able to accurately and effectively pass the ball down the field. That will allow a little more room for our two best players in Murray and Sutton.

Is SDSUs star runningback Kyle Minett hurt? If he is the Siouxs chance of winning went from 10% to 40%. He makes plays like the Montana runningback. Off memory was the last time we played in Brookings 2002. Year after we won the title. Kelby Klosterman our star QB was injured in that game. Him being from SD they were proably doing alittle headuunting, just a guess on my part.

Reading the comments about UNDs lack of a passing game. I agree with alot of the comments on how to move the ball when you no medium to long range passing game. There is a game plan to play to our QB'S strenghts work on one and send our Seniors out with a W. Remember last year when Brock Bellmore blocked how many kicks to win the game. My prediction Brock Bellmore again sends the seniors out with a win. Sioux 24 Minette less Jacks 21. I plan on being there.

Is SDSUs star runningback Kyle Minett hurt? If he is the Siouxs chance of winning went from 10% to 40%. He makes plays like the Montana runningback. Off memory was the last time we played in Brookings 2002. Year after we won the title. Kelby Klosterman our star QB was injured in that game. Him being from SD they were proably doing alittle headuunting, just a guess on my part.

Reading the comments about UNDs lack of a passing game. I agree with alot of the comments on how to move the ball when you no medium to long range passing game. There is a game plan to play to our QB'S strenghts work on one and send our Seniors out with a W. Remember last year when Brock Bellmore blocked how many kicks to win the game. My prediction Brock Bellmore again sends the seniors out with a win. Sioux 24 Minette less Jacks 21. I plan on being there.

I think Minett tweaked his ankle, he kept playing but he wasn't 100%. I would be surprised if he doesn't play in his final career game, unless an MRI shows much more severe damage this week.

Forgot to say how Brock wins it for the good guys. He blocks tying FG in final minute.

Looking at Muss and the job he has done here most on this board feel he has been to conservative at times.I would agree. Something to talk about in the months to come is the job Mus and the staff has done with the talent he has to work with. After the Montana game ther coach said UND was a well coached team. Do coaches just say that about each other because they know the pink slip in one bad season away from all of them. I think a coach should get atleast 5 years to put his players and system in place before he is judged. You never know from one season to the next what will happen. Players quit or the injury bug can take you fron 8-3 to 3-8 fast. SUs coach can tell you that. I think Muss will be given a few more years and I for one am rooting for him.

I think Minett tweaked his ankle, he kept playing but he wasn't 100%. I would be surprised if he doesn't play in his final career game, unless an MRI shows much more severe damage this week.

Minett was injured on his TD run in the second half. You could see when it looked like he pulled something. He never returned and SDSU completely went away from the running game. I think its a pulled muscle and depending on how severe will determine if he'll be back. He's a tough runner so it wouldn't suprise me if he played but I don't know how effective he will be.

Minett was injured on his TD run in the second half. You could see when it looked like he pulled something. He never returned and SDSU completely went away from the running game. I think its a pulled muscle and depending on how severe will determine if he'll be back. He's a tough runner so it wouldn't suprise me if he played but I don't know how effective he will be.

My bad, I thought he was limping prior to the TD run. I emailed TV today, and he responded that there hasn't been an update on his status yet.

My bad, I thought he was limping prior to the TD run. I emailed TV today, and he responded that there hasn't been an update on his status yet.

You could be right Matt. I didn't mean to come off as I knew for sure. I was just going off of what I thought it looked like on TV. Either way I think we both agree that he's a tough kid and he'll definately give it a shot.

Ankle injury ends season for Minett

In a season not short on disappointment, South Dakota State's football team got more bad news Monday.

Senior running back Kyle Minett, the No. 2 rusher in school history and a candidate for the offensive player of the year in the Football Championship Subdivision, will not play in Saturday's season finale against the University of North Dakota due to an ankle injury suffered over the weekend.

A medical exam Monday in Sioux Falls revealed that the 5-foot-10 Minett suffered a high ankle sprain with torn ligaments while blocking in the second quarter of a 31-24 loss at North Dakota State on Saturday.

So this weekend we play our first game against one of the Big Sky rejects and future star of the upcoming mini-series, "From the Ashes--The Return of the NCC". Director/Producer/Writer Tom Douple hopes to secure St. Cloud St. and UN-Omaha for an upcoming sequel..........................................

So this weekend we play our first game against one of the Big Sky rejects and future star of the upcoming mini-series, "From the Ashes--The Return of the NCC". Director/Producer/Writer Tom Douple hopes to secure St. Cloud St. and UN-Omaha for an upcoming sequel..........................................

That post is funny but true. UND is truly in a great conference. Things worked out perfectly for UND. The Sky is the limit. Being separate from the NCC teams is going to be great in the long run.

Sioux Football Insider Jacks Preview

UND's key on offense....

No matter what, UND has to be able to get the ball to Greg Hardin in some manner.

Prediction

The Sioux have won their last game of the year the last two seasons. Both were on the road against solid opponents (USD and Central Arkansas). This situation is set up about the exact same as those. If the Sioux can get anything from their passing game when it is called upon, they have a legit chance at winning this game. Both teams have Seniors playing the last game of their careers.

Sioux 20

Jacks 17

So much anger!!! :lol:

Sioux Football Insider Jacks Preview

UND's key on offense....

I agree that we need to get Hardin involved as much as possible. I also agree that McGill seems to be finally understanding the offense more and is getting more involved, wish we would have saved him this year but thats neither here or now.

One thing that I totally agree with in the preview is that we need to throw some wrinkles, or "trick" plays in this game. I know they aren't the most statistically safe play but they are game changers when they happen.

If I were an OC or head coach I would run at least 1 trick play per game, and I would have about 7 or 8 in my play book and rotate them. This forces an opposing defense to spend time working on these "trick" plays and away from stopping our bread and butter during the week leading up to the game.

So much anger!!! :lol:

Actually, it's a comedy................ :)

As far as the game itself, North Dakota has a decent chance, but it will be a battle. The stud bunny is out with injury. SDSU likes to run more than pass, in theory that should bode well for the Sioux..............................however in reality, not theory, we got torched by the run last week.

Yes Hardin needs the ball, but the quadruple-reverse-triple option-halfbalk pass-flea flicker on two isn't the way to go about it. That never works.

If we're in a postion to hand it off to Murray and Sutton all day, I like our chances.....................................3 yards and a cloud of dust baby.

Something to consider: The Sioux have scored more than 21 points in a win in only 3 games this year vs NE OK; NW St and Lamar. They scored 21 in losses to SUU and Poly. Is the offense better today than it was earlier in the season? If they are to win this game I don't know how the over/under can be more than 40.