SiouxSports.com Forum

Front Loaded Schedule

siouxnami

It just occurred to me just how front loaded UND schedule is. After 2 tough games at Wisconsin, the Sioux should be favored in every game after that except 1 game in Duluth. St. Cloud looks to be not as good as expected and Nebraska Omaha may be a challenge. I look for a huge 2nd half run.

• Upvote 1

Your right...

Nov 12, 2010 7:05 CT @Wisconsin

Nov 13, 2010 7:05 CT @Wisconsin

Nov 19, 2010 7:35 CT @Nebraska-Omaha

Nov 20, 2010 7:05 CT @Nebraska-Omaha

Nov 26, 2010 7:35 CT Notre Dame

Nov 27, 2010 7:05 CT Notre Dame

Dec 3, 2010 7:35 CT St Cloud St

Dec 4, 2010 7:05 CT St Cloud St

Dec 10, 2010 7:35 CT @MSU-Mankato

Dec 11, 2010 7:05 CT @MSU-Mankato

Dec 18, 2010 7:35 CT US Under-18 Team

Dec 30, 2010 7:35 CT @Minnesota-Duluth

Jan 7, 2011 7:35 CT Robert Morris

Jan 8, 2011 7:05 CT Robert Morris

Jan 14, 2011 7:35 CT Minnesota

Jan 15, 2011 7:05 CT Minnesota

Jan 21, 2011 7:35 CT Nebraska-Omaha

Jan 22, 2011 7:05 CT Nebraska-Omaha

Jan 28, 2011 7:35 MT @Colorado College

Jan 29, 2011 7:05 MT @Colorado College

Feb 11, 2011 7:35 CT Alaska Anchorage

Feb 12, 2011 7:05 CT Alaska Anchorage

Feb 18, 2011 7:05 CT @St Cloud St

Feb 19, 2011 7:05 CT @St Cloud St

Feb 26, 2011 3:35 CT Bemidji State

Feb 27, 2011 3:35 CT Bemidji State

Mar 4, 2011 7:05 ET @Michigan Tech

Mar 5, 2011 5:05 ET @Michigan Tech

It just occurred to me just how front loaded UND schedule is. After 2 tough games at Wisconsin, the Sioux should be favored in every game after that except 1 game in Duluth. St. Cloud looks to be not as good as expected and Nebraska Omaha may be a challenge. I look for a huge 2nd half run.

I don't agree. With us sitting at 5-4-1.

Wisconsin should be favored over us especially in Madison. Their record is 6-2-2

Omaha should be favored over us especially in Omaha Their record is 7-1

Notre Dame should be favored over us Their record is 6-2-1

We should be favored over St Cloud since we're at home

Then we'll see where we sit.

I don't agree. With us sitting at 5-4-1.

Wisconsin should be favored over us especially in Madison. Their record is 6-2-2

Omaha should be favored over us especially in Omaha Their record is 7-1

Notre Dame should be favored over us Their record is 6-2-1

We should be favored over St Cloud since we're at home

Then we'll see where we sit.

oh for crying out loud. records mean jack squat.

Agreed! You also have to look at stregth of schedule. Nebraska Omaha has not had a challenging schedule thus far. Same with norte dame.

that's what was said about UMD as well and we split with what many consider on this board to not be a very good team on our home ice. no way shoudl we be favored over wisc or omaha as at this point are just as good if not better than us right now.

Agreed! You also have to look at stregth of schedule. Nebraska Omaha has not had a challenging schedule thus far. Same with norte dame.

Its still very early in the season, but Notre Dame currently has a S.O.S. of .5576 which is the 2nd toughest in the nation, and UNO has a S.O.S. of .5556 which is the 3rd toughest in the nation.

Its still very early in the season, but Notre Dame currently has a S.O.S. of .5576 which is the 2nd toughest in the nation, and UNO has a S.O.S. of .5556 which is the 3rd toughest in the nation.

As a Mav fan- I can tell you we respect your program, we would love to have North Dakota as a rival in hockey. I think it is a natural rivalry! But the games vs UNO should be toss ups. UNO has played a tough Michigan team on the road, an average RIT team at home and a talented but suspect Minnesota team on the road. We lost only one game. How does this stack up to North Dakotas schedule?

They have played at Michigan and at Minnesota. Yes, Minnesota is down, but how many times have the Sioux swept Minnesota at Minnesota in the last 30 years-- once? Bottom line is it doesn't matter who is favored at the time, because it can change fast. St. Cloud could get things together. The Sioux should know above anyone how teams can improve from one week to the next or from the first half of the season to the last. The Sioux are not the only team that has second half surges.

Just for entertainment purpose here are a few SOS from the KRACH

1 Nebraska-Omaha 91.2120

2 Boston University 71.6961

3 Michigan 141.7950

4 Notre Dame 93.4898

5 Maine 96.0614

6 Alaska 96.1189

7 New Hampshire 70.2600

8 Wisconsin 68.8978

9 Minnesota-Duluth 36.2839

10 Western Michigan 59.4281

11 Michigan State 107.8040

12 Miami 67.2483

13 Union 36.2564

14 North Dakota 81.8182

15 Boston College 59.0276

16 Minnesota 71.5989

17 Ferris State 56.2380

18 Harvard 77.7129

19 Michigan Tech 57.5993

20 Denver 65.0430

that's what was said about UMD as well and we split with what many consider on this board to not be a very good team on our home ice. no way shoudl we be favored over wisc or omaha as at this point are just as good if not better than us right now.

First off, tUMD is better than many on this board think. But then again, many on this board don't like being wrong either. That's ok. I'm wrong anyways.

Secondly, UNO is better than what people think. I don't think they'll be able to sweep us, but I think they will get points.

Third, I don't care what records are. I don't care what our record is. I still think we'll be where we need to be when it really matters. This team knows that. Now is the time to make mistakes. We have time to fix them.

Eidsness has had a poor season thus far but I'd rather it be early in the season with him coming on strong late rather than a strong season right now and have him crap out in March/April.

Just for entertainment purpose here are a few SOS from the KRACH

1 Nebraska-Omaha 91.2120

2 Boston University 71.6961

3 Michigan 141.7950

4 Notre Dame 93.4898

5 Maine 96.0614

6 Alaska 96.1189

7 New Hampshire 70.2600

8 Wisconsin 68.8978

9 Minnesota-Duluth 36.2839

10 Western Michigan 59.4281

11 Michigan State 107.8040

12 Miami 67.2483

13 Union 36.2564

14 North Dakota 81.8182

15 Boston College 59.0276

16 Minnesota 71.5989

17 Ferris State 56.2380

18 Harvard 77.7129

19 Michigan Tech 57.5993

20 Denver 65.0430

not that it means much, but how in the hell do we have just the fourteenth toughest schedule when we have played DU, Duluth and Maine? unless our schedule is overrated and on the flip side dultuh is higher than us having only played us really?

not that it means much, but how in the hell do we have just the fourteenth toughest schedule when we have played DU, Duluth and Maine? unless our schedule is overrated and on the flip side dultuh is higher than us having only played us really?

Im guessing they look at the overall schedule. Our schedule second half shouldn't be as bad as the first half. I think uno has a tough schedule, but they are just, in my opinion, getting in to it.

I was thinking the same things as well. I know these rating systems don 't mean much 1/5 of the way into the season.

The thing that bothers me is that we have a veteran team. We only lost two players off last year's team. After 10 games we're sitting at barely over .500. With the schedule coming up we could easily be under .500 at Christmas if we continue to play the same way. Some may say "yeah but that's UND. not very good early but turn it on after Christmas". That's fine when you are bringing in tons of new players but we should not be where we are now. We should not get embarrassed on national TV and fall behind 5-1 in the first period against Maine. It's not just goaltending either. it's entire team defense plus lack of scoring from key players. The only two games all year we played well defensively is against Fairbanks and the Friday night game against Duluth.

I was expecting more from this team and I want to see them play to their potential. I knew we had a tough schedule to start with but I expected us to beat both Alaska teams, sweep Bemidji, split in Maine, sweep Denver (who had to replace almost all of their top players), and split with Duluth. That would put us at 8-2 right now. That's what I'd expect with a veteran and talented team like we have. I guess we'll see if they can put it together against Wisconsin who plays 8 freshman.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The thing that bothers me is that we have a veteran team. We only lost two players off last year's team. After 10 games we're sitting at barely over .500. With the schedule coming up we could easily be under .500 at Christmas if we continue to play the same way. Some may say "yeah but that's UND. not very good early but turn it on after Christmas". That's fine when you are bringing in tons of new players but we should not be where we are now. We should not get embarrassed on national TV and fall behind 5-1 in the first period against Maine. It's not just goaltending either. it's entire team defense plus lack of scoring from key players. The only two games all year we played well defensively is against Fairbanks and the Friday night game against Duluth.

I was expecting more from this team and I want to see them play to their potential. I knew we had a tough schedule to start with but I expected us to beat both Alaska teams, sweep Bemidji, split in Maine, sweep Denver (who had to replace almost all of their top players), and split with Duluth. That would put us at 8-2 right now. That's what I'd expect with a veteran and talented team like we have. I guess we'll see if they can put it together against Wisconsin who plays 8 freshman.

I tend to agree. I think this team's start, and it is still early, is very disappointing with all of the weapons it has. Prior to the start of this season, especially with Chay coming back, I had hoped they'd have a "mission mentality" to drive through the season and into the FF. Unfortunately, it's shown itself, thus far, to be a typical Hak team. It will probably struggle going into late January, kick ass in February and March, and barely make the NC$$ tourney, and then it's anybody's guess ... :huh:

I tend to agree. I think this team's start, and it is still early, is very disappointing with all of the weapons it has. Prior to the start of this season, especially with Chay coming back, I had hoped they'd have a "mission mentality" to drive through the season and into the FF. Unfortunately, it's shown itself, thus far, to be a typical Hak team. It will probably struggle going into late January, kick ass in February and March, and barely make the NC$$ tourney, and then it's anybody's guess ... :huh:

the part that bothers me is we keep facing all these"veteran" teams and they do things real well in the words of Hak. we're supposed to be a veteran team as well and what are we doing well right now?

the part that bothers me is we keep facing all these"veteran" teams and they do things real well in the words of Hak. we're supposed to be a veteran team as well and what are we doing well right now?

the more points we keep throwing away now are points we can't get back at the end of the year. don't forget it is only the top two teams that avoid playin games at the final five this year.

the more points we keep throwing away now are points we can't get back at the end of the year. don't forget it is only the top two teams that avoid playin games at the final five this year.

Your comment made me think of the post by Goon and my reply after the Yale loss this spring, the way the WCHA playoffs are set up it is imperative to avoid the play-in game, especially if your first rounder goes three games, playing 6 games in 9 days is too much even for these kids who are in great shape.

Goon, on Mar 29 2010, 06:25 PM, said:

I hope not to get flamed but I think the guys were tired and worn out on Saturday. They looked very slow and a step late and almost like were skating in cement. I think 8/10 UND beats this team. If anything this year was a lession to put your opponent down in two games and rest on Sunday during the first round the WCHA playoffs, try to get second at least to avoid the play in game. 6 games in 9 days is too much. In the end the Young Sioux team blew too many games early in the season that could have set them up better for the WCHA and NCAA playoffs. Valuable lesson learned.

I think it was definitely a factor. Play 3 in a row, take 3 days off, play 3 more in a row, few more days off then travel to the East coast and practice for a playoff game...there has to be some jet lag there.

But like you said, they put themselves in that situation, finish 3rd or higher in the league and avoid the play-in game (hate that term) and finish off your first rounder in 2 and you're looking at 4 games instead of 6.

Let's face it - the patented Hak slow start is becoming less and less acceptable. Sometimes when breaking in many new players or trying something new, slow starts happen. But every year regardless of talent? Each year has many similarities - Defensive lapses regardless of how much talent we have, untimely goaltending, and a lack of offense characterized by making a succession of average goalies look like all americans. Add in lack of focus every other game and here we go again. With the talent we have coming back there is no way we should be playing like this. It's time we have a team who performs up to ability night in and night out all season. Hak needs to get it done this season. Blais's Omaha team shows a lot more with a lot less.

Im guessing they look at the overall schedule. Our schedule second half shouldn't be as bad as the first half. I think uno has a tough schedule, but they are just, in my opinion, getting in to it.

The NCAA calculates S.O.S. for college hockey as .28 X your opponent's Win%(minus games played against you) + .72 X your opponent's opponent's Win %. This means that the weight that is applied to who your opponents have played is almost three times the weight that is applied to who you have played.

Goon is correct that these numbers don't mean much this early in the season. The numbers fluctuate greatly with such a small sample size (Especially when teams out east like Harvard just played their first two games last weekend).

Let's face it - the patented Hak slow start is becoming less and less acceptable. Sometimes when breaking in many new players or trying something new, slow starts happen. But every year regardless of talent? Each year has many similarities - Defensive lapses regardless of how much talent we have, untimely goaltending, and a lack of offense characterized by making a succession of average goalies look like all americans. Add in lack of focus every other game and here we go again. With the talent we have coming back there is no way we should be playing like this. It's time we have a team who performs up to ability night in and night out all season. Hak needs to get it done this season. Blais's Omaha team shows a lot more with a lot less.

Just for comparison sake Blais has like two NHL draft choicesand UND has 16.