SiouxSports.com Forum

2010 Nominations for Winners/Losers

Rick

NDSU did what was best for NDSU at the time, just as UND did what was best for UND at this time. As for the two praises you are giving Kupchella, I'll agree with one of them, the fundraising campain, but not the waiting to make the move to DI, I still would have liked to see UND move at the same time as the SU's. As for Roger Thomas.........no praise. I had/have mixed feelings about the Big Sky, different time zones, travel, etc. But it was the right move to make and I am happy for UND. As for the Summit league and the MVFC, a football invite or even some kind of assurance we would get in the conference in the near future would have helped, but nothing. As for Tom Dupple, plain and simple, he screwed up in my opinion, he should have offered UND at the same time as USD instead of playing around with the nickname issue. What we were doing with our nickname and how we were going about it was fine with the NCAA, but Mr. Dupple put himself above the NCAA and said we had to settle the issue before the Summit would even look at us, that, ended up hurting them in the end.

UND did what it felt was in its best interest as did NDSU. And each had to have a few breaks along the way.

How about we just enjoy what is going on with UND, thank those that made it happen, and use a little class while doing it?

Well said Dan. +++++++

Big Winners:

Lakesbison - email campaigns to the Summit and MVFC trashing UND were highly successful :lol:

Summit League schedulers - with only 14 instead of 18 conference basketball games, job security is assured.

One of Chicago State/UTPA/Houston Baptist - heading to the Summit!

On a serious note, a couple of coaches will experience a lot more pressure. With a true conference, there would be a lot of interest in those positions should they become open.

Winning will create winners.

Lemme see if I can update this... ;)

Winners

USD - Lower travel costs, opponents that will be just as big a draw as BSC would have been, playing in their recruiting area

USD Fans - Can easily travel to a lot of away games.

SDSU - Gets the real rivalry back and a nearby travel partner.

Summit - Managed to get the more geographically attractive of the U's, thus staving off concerns about its size.

Sioux Falls/South Dakota in general - The new hub of the Summit. Frequent high-profile tournaments.

Losers

Big Sky Presidents - They've got to feel like they got rope-a-doped. Would they have invited UND had they known?

Win some, lose some

UND Win - If USD to MVFC had been known, would BSC have still invited UND? UND is secure with a signed affiliation with a great conference. If USD had received an outright invite to MVFC, this might not have happened.

UND Lose - Geographically alone in the Big Sky, no natural rivals.

NDSU Win - Adds one more regional, old NCC foe to their conferences; one more drivable opponent.

NDSU Lose - Lost their travel partner and the forced rivalry will surely take a back seat, to SDSU fans, to the real rivalry with USD. At a minimum, the reciprocal 1:1 arch rivalry is done.

MVFC - I have to think this through. They got pressured into expansion they didn't want, but avoided the unlikely but devastating outcome of Summit Football.

• Upvote 1