SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Gophers Nov. 7/8

CoteauRinkRat

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truthfully, I am worried about the Sioux in this one. Anytime a team scores 18 goals in a weekend it gets harder to score goals the next weekend. Minnesota won't be messing around when they come into Sioux territory either. Minnesota may say that Wisconsin is there biggest rivalry but that's just because they can beat them everytime. Everyone knows it's the Sioux and the Gophers know it to and want to beat the tar out of the Sioux just as much as the Sioux want to beat the tar out of them.

My prediction, I hate to say it, is a split. With are shaky goalies scoring 3 or 4 goals isn't going to win us didley. We will need at least 6 goals a game to beat the Gophs. I think we can do it if the boys just go out and play hockey but if they're thinking about scoring goals it's not going to happen. Gophers win the first game in a close one and Sioux come back the next night and stick it to them.

Ballard and Harrington are out. If Schneider is back on the ice, I think the Sioux can sweep this series taking advantage of MN's young defense and shaky goaltending. Although Briggs looked alright against Denver, I wouldn't be surprised to see JJ in net at least friday night. I hope Brandt starts both nights, I think he deserves the #1 spot now that we're heading into the WCHA season. I would very dissapointed if the Sioux don't come out with at least 2 points. We've got all 4 lines clicking now, hopefully Massen and Lundbohm can be back in the lineup too. If Ballard and Harrington are still out, I predict a Sioux sweep. If not, I say split... but it doesn't sound like they will be back sooo...

Friday: Sioux 5 MN 3 (ENG)

Saturday: Sioux 4 MN 3

Why wouldn't Schneider play?

He was on crutches last night because of the high ankle sprain he suffered Friday night. He was on the radio and said he is hopeful he'll be skating by Wednesday and playing this weekend. However, both Blais and Tim stated that they thought he was being a bit optimistic and doubted whether he'd be ready for the weekend.

He was on crutches last night because of the high ankle sprain he suffered Friday night. He was on the radio and said he is hopeful he'll be skating by Wednesday and playing this weekend. However, both Blais and Tim stated that they thought he was being a bit optimistic and doubted whether he'd be ready for the weekend.

I think our defense played fairly well without him last night.

UND's goaltending is just fine. Parise had a horrible game against Yale on Friday and it really didn't matter. Other than that game, UND's goaltending has been good. Brandt is playing well and I hope he gets the start on friday.

I don't know about just fine. The Gophers don't think it's just fine and that will give them confidence to just shoot the puck like madmen.

I say if Brandt can sweep the Gopher series then everything it just fine but until I see Brandt or someone else step up and really take control of a series nothing is just fine.

Defense made some bad passes Saturday, but that was because Blais was playing the two freshmen regularly. Bina looks to have good athleticism, but got picked off a few times. Foyt was on the ice a lot, and looked pretty good, I thought.

Next weekend, if Lundbohm, Massen & Fuher are in the lineup, I'd say UND's chances of sweeping are even money. I think they'll at least get one.

I guess Massen was a healthy scratch last night for others to play... so he will be back for MN, sounds like Lundbohm will be back too after his... thigh bruise? Ankle sprains are tough, and even if Schneider plays he probably won't be 100%... although Schneider at 75% or so is still better than most d-men in the nation...

If the Gophers somehow manage to quit taking stupid penalties and making unbelievable turnovers, they will gain a split.

If they play like they have so far this year, Gophs are lucky to get a point.

May i suggest that the Gophers focus on not making the turnovers. Getting stupid penalties against UND hasn't hurt anybody yet. So far all it does is tire out the PK unit for the other team, leading to some pretty good 5v5 action by the Sioux.

May i suggest that the Gophers focus on not making the turnovers. Getting stupid penalties against UND hasn't hurt anybody yet. So far all it does is tire out the PK unit for the other team, leading to some pretty good 5v5 action by the Sioux.

If the gophers want to beat the sioux, they should only put four players on the ice. :D

Seriously, though, I think Marty's statement about scoring alot of goals this weekend has some merit. Yes we got everyone involved, but people were getting involved last year as well and all of a sudden we thought hitting the post counted as a goal. This series could get scary for the sioux if we struggle to score right away.

Hopefully these guys haven't let the goals go to their heads, because if they hit a dry spell they might get very frustrated. And we all know frustration leads to bad play which leads to anger to hate and to the dark side.

Campion definitely said Sheperd will be reffing this weekend.

So if I were Blais, I'd start practicing the penalty kill without players like Prpich, Greene, Smaby, and perhaps Schneider and Porter on it.

Also, practice 5x3s. My estimate is at least 10 penalties Friday night and 8 Saturday. And then you can add the penalties against MN.

I talked to Campion quite a bit, even seeing him at Green Mill after the game (didn't get to talk to him at all though at Green Mill). He's a classy guy. Carton is a good guy as well. He even gave me a puck after the game :D

I'm predicting a stress-less weekend for me because I won't have to watch these games. Neither game will be a shutout. But they will be low scoring.

Minnesota seemingly have not put a lot of emphasis on their games thus far, but Minnesota can be down and out and always do well against us. I suspect overtime on Friday if not Saturday's game. The Gophers will undoubtedly look better on Friday than Saturday, which is too bad because we're better on Friday's.

I suspect status quo. MN will score first on both games. I also don't look for our power play to get out of its slump until the SCSU series. We even gave up shots on the short hand to Yale. We really need Sandalin back to whip our special teams into shape :/

If we split, MN will win on Friday. I hope Brandt starts both games, but it appears as though Blais likes to start Parise on Fridays, but who knows.

If I were there, I'd make a sign saying "Pelt the Gophers" but I'm not there.