SiouxSports.com Forum

Landry Out

SooToo

First we lose a senior MLB (one of the few seniors we have) Paul German.

Now we lose senior QB Jake Landry.

The rest of this campaign is now for getting experience into next year's starters.

We're running Fr, RFr, and So receivers.

Bring in one of the young QBs and let them all mature together.

I know Jake got some flack at times and I was one of them but this is a tough way to end it. I just want to say thanks to Jake for putting the time into the program and best of luck in the future. No matter how things went at times I know you where a leader who set a good example on and off the field.

I was a detractor of Landry early in the season, praised him later and had mixed feelings the remainder of the time. Regardless, he gave it his all. Thanks Jake.

Always good to see a local kid wear the Green and Black. Jake wasn't perfect but no one will question his effort or loyalty to UND. Best wishes to Jake and thanks for giving us your best for 5 years!!

Sorry to hear that. He really gave Cal Poly fits last year. He also has to be one tough son of a b!tch. It says he played the last quarter with a blown knee.

I agree with you Stang, he was well respected by Davis fans. I remember him as a real gamer last year at Davis. Every time it appeared we would put them away, he made plays to keep them in the game. Hate to see a Senior get hurt like this.

Sending best wishes on a speedy and heathly recovery.

Very unfortunate that his career had to end this way.

Landry wasn't a terrible QB by any means, but his inability to throw with much accuracy on the intermediate routes really put a damper on UND's offense these past two seasons. I really thought his big arm would come in handy, but we would have been better off with a lesser-armed QB that was more accurate and more comfortable in the pocket like Manke and Freund were.

I also hope someone like Nichols or even Hendrickson gets some time at QB the rest of they year just so we know where we are at going into 2011. With all of the injuries (I understand that Murray may be out now as well?) I think UND should be getting as many young guys reps as possible the rest of the way.

• Upvote 1

Landry wasn't a terrible QB by any means, but his inability to throw with much accuracy on the intermediate routes really put a damper on UND's offense these past two seasons. I really thought his big arm would come in handy, but we would have been better off with a lesser-armed QB that was more accurate and more comfortable in the pocket like Manke and Freund were.

I also hope someone like Nichols or even Hendrickson gets some time at QB the rest of they year just so we know where we are at going into 2011. With all of the injuries (I understand that Murray may be out now as well?) I think UND should be getting as many young guys reps as possible the rest of the way.

Well said. Jake Landry is a D2 QB that overachieved at times at the FCS level, and struggled mightily at other times, as you alluded to. I agree that is was most frustrating seeing the missed short "percentage" passes to the flat, etc. His decisions as a senior weren't the best, but I think he was trying to do it all himself at times, kind of Brett Favre-esque, when he should have thrown the ball away. Tough way to end a career for sure.

Does anyone know how Demler and Comes have looked this fall or what the coaching staff thinks of them? I would think one or both of them have a very good shot at starting next year!

From the most recent Sioux Football Insider blog:

Of course, Hardin will also need a QB to throw the ball to him in the next few years. Freshman Chris Comes and Trey Demler have both impressed the coaching staff and we are assuming they are going to be battling Brent Goska and Seth Nichols for the starting job.

Manke And Freund had the benefit of throwing short passes to the best WR dressler in the history of the school and hand it off to one of the fastest in Ryan chappell. Not exactly anyone of that ilk on this team to help out.Something should be said for the fact Jake came in against grand valley after fruend got hurt lead und on two scoring drives in the playoffs with the same knee injury as a sophomore and now played two quarters with it again. Hopefully some of the younger QB'S learned a little about toughness and giving everything you have, and no matter what anyone says try and make plays that win games picks or not

Also interesting that he talked of possibly bringing in a JUCO QB next year.

I thought that was interesting also. My take on that is if none of the older quarterbacks look like they can seize the starting job for next year, it may be prudent to bring somebody in to compete with the two freshmen. Of course, in the years I've been watching UND football, which goes back to the early 1980's, I don't believe we've ever had a transfer quarterback actually win the starting job. Bringing in an FBS or juco transfer has been talked about a number of times, but it never really seems to work out.

I thought that was interesting also. My take on that is if none of the older quarterbacks look like they can seize the starting job for next year, it may be prudent to bring somebody in to compete with the two freshmen. Of course, in the years I've been watching UND football, which goes back to the early 1980's, I don't believe we've ever had a transfer quarterback actually win the starting job. Bringing in an FBS or juco transfer has been talked about a number of times, but it never really seems to work out.

I have been watching/following Sioux FB since the mid 1950's. I don't recall ever having a transfer of any kind come in and play QB, but the Bison had one of the best ever in Steve Walker who led them to some great seasons including "upsets" of Minnesota, Central Michigan, Ball State and almost against Montana. It can happen, but infrequently. I believe Walker was a transfer from Northwestern. He just embarassed the Gophers.

I have been watching/following Sioux FB since the mid 1950's. I don't recall ever having a transfer of any kind come in and play QB, but the Bison had one of the best ever in Steve Walker who led them to some great seasons including "upsets" of Minnesota, Central Michigan, Ball State and almost against Montana. It can happen, but infrequently. I believe Walker was a transfer from Northwestern. He just embarassed the Gophers.

Actually Walker was a high school recruit. The Northwestern transfer was named Tony Stauss I believe.

UND has played against some good FBS transfer quarterbacks in recent years, including Zach Miller (UNO by way of Nebraska) and Mike Reilly (CWU by way of Washington St.). The Southern Utah quarterback this year is a BYU transfer.

Walker was an NDSU recruit right out of HS.

You're thinking Tony Stauss (sp).

As I recall, you are right. I also remember Bohl wouldn't let Walker replace Stauss even though Walker was better. I'm sure the bison have a transfer on the team now that never played last year, even though they needed a qb in the worst way and isn't playing this year either.

I'll probably get bitch-slapped by some bison troll for this. They seem to want to rewrite their history down there.

You are absolutely right about Walker. He actually came in as a Freshman in the end of the first GWFC game ever played. We were getting pounded by UNC and were unable to move the ball, and in the 4th quarter Walker came in and daqrn near won the game for us, I still think if he had another 5 minutes of game time the Bison would have pulled it out. The next few games Walker did not play a down. I think it was like the 6th or 7th game of the season that Bohl finally started Walker and then the winning and the Walker era began. Bohl seems very rigid when it comes to making a decision about dumping the QB.

I am not a coach (nor should I ever be..LOL) but, it always seems that most coaches are far too slow to make a QB change. Look at how we suffered with Mertens, look at Orton in Denver....good god...Tebow is riding the bench with Brady Quinn also riding the bench. Even in that debacle of a loss to Oakland, the Broncos never changed QB!!!!

But, as a fan it is always easy to bitch about the QB when things are not going well. When a team is not doing well, the most popular player (from a fans perspective) is always the back-up QB!

I apologize in advance if this response is rambling a bit.....I have had a few drinks tonight......nothing like getting a buzz and then trying to post on the internet! ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You are absolutely right about Walker. He actually came in as a Freshman in the end of the first GWFC game ever played. We were getting pounded by UNC and were unable to move the ball, and in the 4th quarter Walker came in and daqrn near won the game for us, I still think if he had another 5 minutes of game time the Bison would have pulled it out. The next few games Walker did not play a down. I think it was like the 6th or 7th game of the season that Bohl finally started Walker and then the winning and the Walker era began. Bohl seems very rigid when it comes to making a decision about dumping the QB.

I am not a coach (nor should I ever be..LOL) but, it always seems that most coaches are far too slow to make a QB change. Look at how we suffered with Mertens, look at Orton in Denver....good god...Tebow is riding the bench with Brady Quinn also riding the bench. Even in that debacle of a loss to Oakland, the Broncos never changed QB!!!!

But, as a fan it is always easy to bitch about the QB when things are not going well. When a team is not doing well, the most popular player (from a fans perspective) is always the back-up QB!

I apologize in advance if this response is rambling a bit.....I have had a few drinks tonight......nothing like getting a buzz and then trying to post on the internet! ;)

Straight from the coach - Walker was a poor practice player. That's why it took so long to get him into the games, plus Tony was a senior. What the coaching staff finally figured out was Walker was a gamer and played his best at game time. Some players are great practice players and execute poorly in games. Walker was the opposite. Brock is out with a broken collar bone and our other qb is red shirting - Esley Thorton. Sounds like he's going to give the other 2 a run for their money next year. No transfers.