SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting 2010/2011

GeauxSioux

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not much of a recruiting guru, but I see there is a 6'7" kid from Cando, ND with the last name Lindahl. He's averaging 18 points and 9 rebounds per game. I assume he is related to former Sioux Evan Lindahl. Would UND show in interest there, or perhaps a better question, is it worth showing any interest there?

Just watched part of the first half of North Star's first round game at the Class B state tournament. Lindahl has 21 points (including five 3's) at the half.

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to be interesting to see whether Gentry and/or Benton red-shirt next year. It seems that both have very nice athleticism, which is something UND could use more of. On the other hand, red-shirting would mean they'd have four chances at post-season play rather than three. I have nothing to base this on, but I kind of look for Gentry to play right away, and back up Huff. Not sure about Benton, but it seems he could potentially back up Schuler nicely.

Jones reiterated on the coaches' show last night that the staff is looking for a juco 4 or 5. So is the fact that Washpun is still being recruited merely a case of keeping all options open for the one remaining scholarship, or does it suggest that more than one scholarship is expected to be available for next year once all is said and done?

Jones reiterated on the coaches' show last night that the staff is looking for a juco 4 or 5. So is the fact that Washpun is still being recruited merely a case of keeping all options open for the one remaining scholarship, or does it suggest that more than one scholarship is expected to be available for next year once all is said and done?

I do not know but I would bet they are recruiting as if they have two scholarships available. They may or may not know someone is not returning. Despite how good Washpun might be, if we only have one scholarship available, it really needs to be a "big"!

I do not know but I would bet they are recruiting as if they have two scholarships available. They may or may not know someone is not returning. Despite how good Washpun might be, if we only have one scholarship available, it really needs to be a "big"!

Although we are most in need of an athletic 4/5 Wes Mashpun is an absolute stud and would be the highest touted recruit in school history. ESPN grades him out as an 88 and ranks him as the #60 PG in the country. He has offers from UND, NDSU USD, SDSU, and Missouri State. He is also drawing interest from Creighton, Iowa, Boston College, Clemson and Bradley...

Although getting both Mashpun and a JUCO xfer 4/5 would be ideal, I dont see how you don't give this kid the last available scholly if he is willing to commit.

See also - Wes Mashpun High School Poster Dunk:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBcQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DxKUkn3FNWz0&ei=qpuCTYOfG8zngQf_-JXKCA&usg=AFQjCNGcwe60ZNFLZKuLSP7NPhWNHKHp9g

If they really are in the market for a JUCO big, it may take 'til May to find out if they are going to find one. National Tournaments are going on now, kids don't usually start considering options until after that, and then JUCO tend to take their time. They have been recruited before, and know how good they are.

On the Recruiting class this year, I would not be surprised if Lindahl and Gus Kueber from Lake Region State are in Sioux uniforms next year for a number of reasons.

1. Kueber and Lindahl are 6'7" with athletic bodies that would fit well in the the pick and roll offense. You can not teach height, and height with athletism is rare to surface in the middle of UND's recruiting area. Lindahl has a very nice jump shot, and with time could be better than Patrick Mitchell if given time to develop. Kueber is in the Mitchell mold as well, except he is a better shot blocker right now. He will need a year to adjust, however.

2. Unless they find a "game ready" big man, both these kids have wanted to play for UND since they could first shoot. Kids like that develop at a faster rate than a project that has never heard of Grand Forks before a visit.

3. Shot blockers are rare, and in Kueber's case, he is playing at the NJCAA D1 level and putting up 11ppg, 7 rpg, 3 apg, 1.5 bpg, 48% FG, and 38% from 3 point range. Lindahl is horrible on defense, but both Kueber and Lindahl could be redshirted and be ready to play in the Big Sky in 2012. We really don't have a shot blocker like Kueber on our team, he needs more muscle, but he is as good of an option as their is out there in the junior college ranks.

I guess my point is. Height is the hardest thing to recruit because everybody needs it. We have two athletic players with height in our recruiting area right now. Unless they find something that can help them right now, and be a game changer for the program. These are the best options long term. Just my opinion

Seriously, there is Noooooooooooooo way Lindahl plays at UND, or is even recruited to UND. He is the slowest moving human being I've seen in a long time. Most college coaches aren't sure he can play in the Mon-Dak, let alone DI bball. Kueber won't play inside and cannot guard anyone who remotely looks like a 1, 2, or 3. We don't need anymore ND kids on this roster. Go get real bigs (6'10) and more athletes like Huff.

Seriously, there is Noooooooooooooo way Lindahl plays at UND, or is even recruited to UND. He is the slowest moving human being I've seen in a long time. Most college coaches aren't sure he can play in the Mon-Dak, let alone DI bball. Kueber won't play inside and cannot guard anyone who remotely looks like a 1, 2, or 3. We don't need anymore ND kids on this roster. Go get real bigs (6'10) and more athletes like Huff.

I'm afraid that any 6'10" kid UND can get will be a long-term project. If the goal is to find a player who can contribute early on, I would like to see Jones and staff look for an under-sized inside player similar to Noah Dahlman.

I'm afraid that any 6'10" kid UND can get will be a long-term project. If the goal is to find a player who can contribute early on, I would like to see Jones and staff look for an under-sized inside player similar to Noah Dahlman.

Plenty of 6'10 juco kids out there..............go get one!!!

Remember Jerome Beasley? :)

Plenty of 6'10 juco kids out there..............go get one!!!

Remember Jerome Beasley? :)

It's easier to recruit a good juco big man as a dII school than it is as a low-to-mid-major dI school, because there are quite a few who aren't eligible to play dI (e.g. Beasley) who need a place to play. The ones who are eligible to play dI are in huge demand. Of course I'd love it if UND could unearth a hidden gem, but I just don't think it's particularly realistic. Maybe a bulkier Emmanuel Little-type, though?

I certainly think that we definitely need to find some help at the SF, or P positions for depth and just to have more athleticism on the court at times. Patrick Mitchell was awefully good defensively for us a vast majority of the time inside this year, but he graduates next year. I just hope we can find a 6'7 guy who can leap, defend & board or a 6'9 to 6'10 big body who has a little penchant for scoring back to the basket. With the eventual Mitchell departure we most likely won't find a guy his size who is as proficient at shooting the 3 as he is but, with Huff shooting those better as the year went on I'm not as concerned about that- as I am to find someone who can carry some of the defensive and midrange to interior scoring slack. Players like that, I believe are only going to help Brekke, whose arms don't match his body,I might add. He should be 6'11 with arms that long.

I have to echo the sentiment on here right now that I honestly don't think we are going to find any of those types of players here in our local pool. I'm sure some of the local guys whose names are being bandied about are nice players but I think we are fooling ourselves if we think they are D1 material. But of course they said that about Woodside, and at least one Big 10 school never gave him much of a look...so I guess what do I know when it comes to talent evaluation. ???

But in reality I think our staff will be needing some of our frequent flyer miles to go find someone who fits those bills.

Talent evaluation for how they will perform at the D1 level is extremely hard to predict. Everyone plays against different levels of competition in high school and just because someone puts up tremendous numbers does not necessarily translate into a good college player. I have to agree with alot of comments that we need bigs and it doesnt have to be a 7' player, but could be a big body 6'9" player. We got destroyed by big bodied players this year cause we had no one that could bang with these players. We seem really set at the point guard with Webb and Anderson for several more years. The off guard position is also solid with Schuler and a good back up. Huff and Goodman are also very solid at the 3 position for years to come. Mitchell has one more good year at the 4 and Allard did a good job backing up this year. Brekke did a solid job at the post when he went against like size players. Until he proves he can stay out of foul trouble this is where he need the help as explained before. Incoming we have an athletic 3 or 4 in Gentry and a potential backup at the wing in Benton. With the expected improvement from our starters I believe we are really solid for another great run next year. Go Sioux

I would be shocked if we even had a chance to land Mashpun though. I believe his coach misspoke when he said he was chosing between North Dakota and Missouri State. I believe he meant North Dakota state or Missouri State.

I've been told that Mashpun loves that NDSU was on him very early on in the recruiting process and has grown close with some of the players there. Has attended some team functions. I would be shocked if he's not a Bison. They need a PG and he would be an ideal get for them....unfortunately :(

I would be shocked if we even had a chance to land Mashpun though. I believe his coach misspoke when he said he was chosing between North Dakota and Missouri State. I believe he meant North Dakota state or Missouri State.

I've been told that Mashpun loves that NDSU was on him very early on in the recruiting process and has grown close with some of the players there. Has attended some team functions. I would be shocked if he's not a Bison. They need a PG and he would be an ideal get for them....unfortunately :(

I predict Washpun will go wherever current Missouri State coach Cuonzo Martin is coaching next year--possibly Missouri.

Considering Iverson only has one year of eligibility left, and he'd have to sit out a year if he transfers to another dI program, you would think he might choose a dII school such as Augie so that he could play right away. You don't see a lot of seniors-to-be transferring to another dI school, but anything is possible, I guess.