SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting 2010/2011

GeauxSioux

I'm not much of a recruiting guru, but I see there is a 6'7" kid from Cando, ND with the last name Lindahl. He's averaging 18 points and 9 rebounds per game. I assume he is related to former Sioux Evan Lindahl. Would UND show in interest there, or perhaps a better question, is it worth showing any interest there?

I'm weary of players like that. Take for instance "Big Mike" Mathison on our roster right now. Kid was our big recruit out of Walhalla a few years ago and he hasn't done anything. Kid is always hurt, and doesn't do a thing when he gets in.

Proves a kid can look like a "can't miss" in ND Class B but have no future in basketball at the D1 level. A good indicator, although a bit superficial, seems to be where else interest is garnered. If the NDSU, USD, SDSU, or Big Sky School's of the world have no interest should we just because he has UND ties?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm weary of players like that. Take for instance "Big Mike" Mathison on our roster right now. Kid was our big recruit out of Walhalla a few years ago and he hasn't done anything. Kid is always hurt, and doesn't do a thing when he gets in.

Proves a kid can look like a "can't miss" in ND Class B but have no future in basketball at the D1 level. A good indicator, although a bit superficial, seems to be where else interest is garnered. If the NDSU, USD, SDSU, or Big Sky School's of the world have no interest should we just because he has UND ties?

Like I said, I don't follow recruiting all that closely...................... just wondering if this is the type of kid that could potentially walk-on and perhaps contribute a few years down the road.............apparently he has "Brekke" size.........

Excuse me for butting in here, but Mathiason was never a big recruit. He never put up numbers for North Border and was a project for you guys from the get-go. I don't even think he's on scholarship, is he?

Excuse me for butting in here, but Mathiason was never a big recruit. He never put up numbers for North Border and was a project for you guys from the get-go. I don't even think he's on scholarship, is he?

Mathiason walked on. The coaches were going to be happy if he contributed some decent minutes by the time he was a junior/senior. and hoped that he might be a pleasant surprise. They welcomed him to join the team as "you can't teach size". I do no know if he is getting any $ now - I would guess he is getting a little help but not much. He was not highly recruited at all.

Exactly right. Mathison walked on to the program. No one ever had the expectation that he would become a player. Those of us who saw him HS figured he'd be gone from the program by now. Can't throw Jones under the bus for Mathison as a recruited player.

Exactly right. Mathison walked on to the program. No one ever had the expectation that he would become a player. Those of us who saw him HS figured he'd be gone from the program by now. Can't throw Jones under the bus for Mathison as a recruited player.

My mistake that was before my time at UND where i only really followed the hockey team. I should not have made that assumption. I believe he does receive some money now but thank you for the clarification.

Also, I asked assistant coach Phillipe if the sioux were still looking for one more recruit this season via twitter. He responded today saying:

"Yeah we are. I'm actually recruiting in Minneapolis right now for the T-Wolves Shootout at Target Center..."

My mistake that was before my time at UND where i only really followed the hockey team. I should not have made that assumption. I believe he does receive some money now but thank you for the clarification.

Also, I asked assistant coach Phillipe if the sioux were still looking for one more recruit this season via twitter. He responded today saying:

"Yeah we are. I'm actually recruiting in Minneapolis right now for the T-Wolves Shootout at Target Center..."

Jones is doing his recruiting via Twitter?? :huh: Really, I can't imagine that will work out very well.

:lol: IKIK

My mistake that was before my time at UND where i only really followed the hockey team. I should not have made that assumption. I believe he does receive some money now but thank you for the clarification.Also, I asked assistant coach Phillipe if the sioux were still looking for one more recruit this season via twitter. He responded today saying:

In DI basketball whenever someone is giving any scholarship money it counts as a full scholarship against the team. So unless UND is being cheap, he is probably getting all or nothing.

In DI basketball whenever someone is giving any scholarship money it counts as a full scholarship against the team. So unless UND is being cheap, he is probably getting all or nothing.

It has to be nothing. No way UND coaches would give him scholarship money. Prior to coming to UND he wouldn't have earned a scholly and he has done nothing in his time at UND to earn a scholly. It is my opinion that he is still a walk-on.

ESPN has updated their recruiting database and Benton has been added to our 2011 commits. What really surprised me was that ESPN has him rated as a 2star 82 compared to Gentry's 1star 77 -- to add perspective Aaron Anderson was a 79 and Huff was rated an 83. I had a bit of an impression that Gentry was our better get but maybe not? If Benton is truly coming in off scholly next year then picking one up his Soph year this could be quite the steal! Hope we can get one more solid player to round out our class of 2011!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/155/north-dakota-fighting-sioux

ESPN has updated their recruiting database and Benton has been added to our 2011 commits. What really surprised me was that ESPN has him rated as a 2star 82 compared to Gentry's 1star 77 -- to add perspective Aaron Anderson was a 79 and Huff was rated an 83. I had a bit of an impression that Gentry was our better get but maybe not? If Benton is truly coming in off scholly next year then picking one up his Soph year this could be quite the steal! Hope we can get one more solid player to round out our class of 2011!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/155/north-dakota-fighting-sioux

The ESPN database for UND only goes back to 2009, but here's a complete list of the grades of the players in the last three classes:

83 Huff

82 Benton

79 Anderson

77 Gentry

72 Schuler

40 Webb

NA Brekke

The ESPN database for UND only goes back to 2009, but here's a complete list of the grades of the players in the last three classes:

83 Huff

82 Benton

79 Anderson

77 Gentry

72 Schuler

40 Webb

NA Brekke

Its obvious this grading scale is like most types of evaluating services, a joke. The grading scale only goes as low as a 40 and most of the evaluation is done thru AAU. If you are not on a high profile AAU team you dont get a grade or its very low. Obviously Brekke nor Webb played on an AAU team that traveled. I dont believe Huff's, Bentons , Andersons or Gentry awards or numbers were anything close to Schuler in high school but all graded higher. It just amazes me how they can put a grade on kids that they dont ever see. I guess its just a good topic for conversation and message boards.

Its obvious this grading scale is like most types of evaluating services, a joke. The grading scale only goes as low as a 40 and most of the evaluation is done thru AAU. If you are not on a high profile AAU team you dont get a grade or its very low. Obviously Brekke nor Webb played on an AAU team that traveled. I dont believe Huff's, Bentons , Andersons or Gentry awards or numbers were anything close to Schuler in high school but all graded higher. It just amazes me how they can put a grade on kids that they dont ever see. I guess its just a good topic for conversation and message boards.

To the extent anyone is interested in what the grades are supposed to mean, here's an explanation: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=2639514

Schuler's relatively low grade was apparently the result of concerns about his athletic ability. His shooting ability was definitely not an issue. The reality is that if he were a bit quicker, we likely would not have gotten him, particularly considering our conference situation at the time.

If you compare the grades of the recruits in UND's last three classes to those of the other Dakota schools, UND is actually doing fairly well all things considered.

To the extent anyone is interested in what the grades are supposed to mean, here's an explanation: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=2639514

Schuler's relatively low grade was apparently the result of concerns about his athletic ability. His shooting ability was definitely not an issue. The reality is that if he were a bit quicker, we likely would not have gotten him, particularly considering our conference situation at the time.

If you compare the grades of the recruits in UND's last three classes to those of the other Dakota schools, UND is actually doing fairly well all things considered.

Good points. Like the scale you provided but feel the system is still highly biased based on AAU teams the player plays for. Brekke and Webb were obviously a major steal. Does anyone know how the coaches found Webb way on the east coast? Go Sioux

On the Recruiting class this year, I would not be surprised if Lindahl and Gus Kueber from Lake Region State are in Sioux uniforms next year for a number of reasons.

1. Kueber and Lindahl are 6'7" with athletic bodies that would fit well in the the pick and roll offense. You can not teach height, and height with athletism is rare to surface in the middle of UND's recruiting area. Lindahl has a very nice jump shot, and with time could be better than Patrick Mitchell if given time to develop. Kueber is in the Mitchell mold as well, except he is a better shot blocker right now. He will need a year to adjust, however.

2. Unless they find a "game ready" big man, both these kids have wanted to play for UND since they could first shoot. Kids like that develop at a faster rate than a project that has never heard of Grand Forks before a visit.

3. Shot blockers are rare, and in Kueber's case, he is playing at the NJCAA D1 level and putting up 11ppg, 7 rpg, 3 apg, 1.5 bpg, 48% FG, and 38% from 3 point range. Lindahl is horrible on defense, but both Kueber and Lindahl could be redshirted and be ready to play in the Big Sky in 2012. We really don't have a shot blocker like Kueber on our team, he needs more muscle, but he is as good of an option as their is out there in the junior college ranks.

I guess my point is. Height is the hardest thing to recruit because everybody needs it. We have two athletic players with height in our recruiting area right now. Unless they find something that can help them right now, and be a game changer for the program. These are the best options long term. Just my opinion

Height is the hardest thing to recruit because everybody needs it. We have two athletic players with height in our recruiting area right now. Unless they find something that can help them right now, and be a game changer for the program. These are the best options long term. Just my opinion

I don't know anything about the Kueber kid, but heigth was a big reason I brought up Lindahl in another thread..................he seems like Pat Mitchell type player, and you never know, could end up being a surprisingly productive player like Brekke has been this season.......

On the Recruiting class this year, I would not be surprised if Lindahl and Gus Kueber from Lake Region State are in Sioux uniforms next year for a number of reasons.

1. Kueber and Lindahl are 6'7" with athletic bodies that would fit well in the the pick and roll offense. You can not teach height, and height with athletism is rare to surface in the middle of UND's recruiting area. Lindahl has a very nice jump shot, and with time could be better than Patrick Mitchell if given time to develop. Kueber is in the Mitchell mold as well, except he is a better shot blocker right now. He will need a year to adjust, however.

2. Unless they find a "game ready" big man, both these kids have wanted to play for UND since they could first shoot. Kids like that develop at a faster rate than a project that has never heard of Grand Forks before a visit.

3. Shot blockers are rare, and in Kueber's case, he is playing at the NJCAA D1 level and putting up 11ppg, 7 rpg, 3 apg, 1.5 bpg, 48% FG, and 38% from 3 point range. Lindahl is horrible on defense, but both Kueber and Lindahl could be redshirted and be ready to play in the Big Sky in 2012. We really don't have a shot blocker like Kueber on our team, he needs more muscle, but he is as good of an option as their is out there in the junior college ranks.

I guess my point is. Height is the hardest thing to recruit because everybody needs it. We have two athletic players with height in our recruiting area right now. Unless they find something that can help them right now, and be a game changer for the program. These are the best options long term. Just my opinion

You mention Lindahl is horrible on defense. At this level you must be able to play defense. If you give up more than you score what good are you. Dont know anything about either one of these players but your comment about defense would worry me about Lindahl.

Welcome to the board. I wonder whether Lindahl is expected to grow any more? His father is 6'10" or 6'11", and I believe Evan is 6'9" or so. Is he willing to play inside, or is he more of a tall kid who likes to shoot from the perimeter?

I recall watching Kueber at the state tournament a couple of years ago. He was pretty raw, but has long arms and did seem to play bigger than what he is. I agree he may be worth a look due to his shot-blocking ability.

You mention Lindahl is horrible on defense. At this level you must be able to play defense. If you give up more than you score what good are you. Dont know anything about either one of these players but your comment about defense would worry me about Lindahl.

Evan was awful on defense in high school. So was his father, and as a former college assistant, I know that you really have to teach every kid that walks in the gym how to play defense at the college level. I think Lindahl can learn how to play it, but he really doesn't have to now with the low level of Class B. This goes to my earlier point, kids will work harder for the team they always wanted to play for, because of the pride the have instilled in them by putting on the jersey.

Welcome to the board. I wonder whether Lindahl is expected to grow any more? His father is 6'10" or 6'11", and I believe Evan is 6'9" or so. Is he willing to play inside, or is he more of a tall kid who likes to shoot from the perimeter?

I recall watching Kueber at the state tournament a couple of years ago. He was pretty raw, but has long arms and did seem to play bigger than what he is. I agree he may be worth a look due to his shot-blocking ability.

Kueber has matured quite a bit, I would say he has put on 15-20 pounds of muscle and has given a much more polished game. Plus he has a redshirt year left, develop him for a year and have him ready for the first two seasons in the Big Sky.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, but do we really need another point guard. I'd say we are set at point for the next 3 years. I would really be concerned on how this team plays if their point guard scores 29 pts/game. Sounds like he must shoot everytime downt he court and I would rather have a point guard like Webb that scores around 9-10 and dishes the ball and involves the entire team. Go Sioux

Sorry, but do we really need another point guard. I'd say we are set at point for the next 3 years. I would really be concerned on how this team plays if their point guard scores 29 pts/game. Sounds like he must shoot everytime downt he court and I would rather have a point guard like Webb that scores around 9-10 and dishes the ball and involves the entire team. Go Sioux

While I would like to see the last scholarship go to a "big", it appears UND is in the market for another point guard, since as mentioned earlier in this thread there's apparently still an offer outstanding to Wesley Washpun of Cedar Rapids, IA: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Wesley-Washpun-120751

My guess is that if Washpun decides to go elsewhere, perhaps Lipkins is offered?

While I would like to see the last scholarship go to a "big", it appears UND is in the market for another point guard, since as mentioned earlier in this thread there's apparently still an offer outstanding to Wesley Washpun of Cedar Rapids, IA: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Wesley-Washpun-120751

My guess is that if Washpun decides to go elsewhere, perhaps Lipkins is offered?

Agree with you on wanting a BIG. Without a really big guy we will not be able to compete with the bigger D1 schools on our schedule. This is where we have had the most troulbe this year and it will continue in the years to come. Brekke has done an outstanding job against guys his size but against the bigs of Wisconsin, Nebraska, Northern Iowa etc we struggle. It would be nice to have a big and at times move Brekke down to the 4 and have him and a big in at the same time. I understand the coaches have to attempt to bring in better and stronger talent each year but 3 true point guards. I know mid size D1 teams are guard dominant and thats obviously the direction we are going also. Cant complain with the freshmen class they brought in this year so we will just have to wait and see how this upcoming class will perform and who they get.

• 2 weeks later...

Indy Star blog: Game between Indiana 4A titans

Tuesday night’s showdown between Pike and Hamilton Southeastern – two state-ranked teams in Class 4A – essentially turned into old school NBA game from the 1980s. Defense optional, get the ball up and down the court. The teams combined for 75 points in a fourth quarter that saw Pike start past, Hamilton Southeastern fight back, then Pike do enough at the end to win it, 83-79.

Notre Dame coach Mike Brey, Michigan coach John Beilein and Oregon State assistant David Grace were in attendance last night. Here’s a look at some of the top individuals:

Josh Gentry, Pike: The 6-4 North Dakota recruit sometimes gets overlooked, but is a solid defender and makes plays in the transition game. He finished with eight points, including 4-for-5 from the free throw line.