SiouxSports.com Forum

Interesting Rumors on Big Ten and hockey expansion

star2city

Everything we are hearing here in New Jersey says it is 99.9% certain they will invite Rutgers into The Big Ten ( I still can't believe this is even a possibility considering the bungling of our sports programs from 1977 until about ten years ago). Are you guys in North Dakota and other Midwest states reading and hearing we will definitely be invited? Thanks for any comments.

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS!

By the way, Rutgers does have a club hockey team but I think with Title 9,we would have to come up with A LOT of money to add two more Division 1 sports teams.

Rutgers makes a lot of sense for the Big 10 if they decide to expand. It brings the New York City TV market into play, plus it fits in the academic mold that the Big 10 has developed. I am pretty sure that they would be on a short list of schools considered for expansion.

If the numbers are accurate, joining the Big 10 would add up to $20 million in new revenue for the new schools. Rutgers could easily add 2 Division I sports with just a portion of that $20 million.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, should have been more clear.

Delany is basically asking what kind of extras each of those schools can deliver to the Big Ten.

One of the more recent rumors another set of schools the Big Ten is pondering is Texas, Texas A&M, Rutgers, Maryland, and Virginia. In that case, hockey certainly wouldn't be as prominent in the discussions.

Maryland has a club hockey team and I don't think it would take to much to convince to upgrade as there had been talk of it a few years back although I don't think it was serious. Doesn't Rutgers have a club hockey team as well? If so, hockey might not be the stretch that some are making it to be.

Everything we are hearing here in New Jersey says it is 99.9% certain they will invite Rutgers into The Big Ten ( I still can't believe this is even a possibility considering the bungling of our sports programs from 1977 until about ten years ago). Are you guys in North Dakota and other Midwest states reading and hearing we will definitely be invited? Thanks for any comments.

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS!

By the way, Rutgers does have a club hockey team but I think with Title 9,we would have to come up with A LOT of money to add two more Division 1 sports teams.

I don't hear quite the same but I do hear the expectation that Rutgers will be asked to get into the NYC television market but even with Rutgers, there is no gurantee that it will be the key to tapping the market hence the questions.

Maryland has a club hockey team and I don't think it would take to much to convince to upgrade as there had been talk of it a few years back although I don't think it was serious. Doesn't Rutgers have a club hockey team as well? If so, hockey might not be the stretch that some are making it to be.

If you do some research you'll find that nearly all bigger D1 schools have some sort of club hockey. That includes ACC, SEC, Big 12, and Pac 10 schools...regions where hockey is not very prominent.

If you do some research you'll find that nearly all bigger D1 schools have some sort of club hockey. That includes ACC, SEC, Big 12, and Pac 10 schools...regions where hockey is not very prominent.

Kentucky had the best hockey schedule posters.

And that partially negatives the expense argument as they already has facilities, how good is another question though

Here is what I have seen living in Columbia MO. There is a group of guys here that are desperatly trying to get a ice rink open. They tried to get a new arena built through private funding but that fell through the cracks. Mizzou curently has to drive 30 to 40 minutes just to get to a rink for home games and practices. I know that there has been talks about them expanding there hockey program, not sure if that means going to a D1 program or not, but I am not sure where they would find funding to add a new arena or a place in town to put it as all of the sports complexes are next to each other. The big picture is them leaving the big XII, if Nebraska and Mizzou both left for the same conference such as the big 10 then I could see it as they are each others biggest rivals but getting one to go with out the other may be harder than just putting extra money out there to do so. Personally I would like to see them go just so I have one more team that can woop up on the Gophers.

Go Fighting Sioux/Tigers

More grist for the mill, from the Pac-10.

rivals.com

yeah its getting crazy for the pac 10 and possible re alignment. im a big pac 10 guy having gone to arizona state and i hope this happens. college football is the main reason as we all know was looking for a huge movement and this could start everything to lead to 4 super conferences in a way. i understand why purists may be upset with changes all over the board but money talks as we all know and this will happen and change the landscape of college sports

Here is what I have seen living in Columbia MO. There is a group of guys here that are desperatly trying to get a ice rink open. They tried to get a new arena built through private funding but that fell through the cracks. Mizzou curently has to drive 30 to 40 minutes just to get to a rink for home games and practices. I know that there has been talks about them expanding there hockey program, not sure if that means going to a D1 program or not, but I am not sure where they would find funding to add a new arena or a place in town to put it as all of the sports complexes are next to each other. The big picture is them leaving the big XII, if Nebraska and Mizzou both left for the same conference such as the big 10 then I could see it as they are each others biggest rivals but getting one to go with out the other may be harder than just putting extra money out there to do so. Personally I would like to see them go just so I have one more team that can woop up on the Gophers.

Go Fighting Sioux/Tigers

I am experiencing a certain amount of angst over this whole potential conference rearrangement. Having grown up in Minnesota while attending UND and later graduate school at Mizzou, I don't really want to see Minnesota and Missouri in the Big Ten together. That's my original feeling. Now, however, I'm open to Missouri as well as Nebraska joining the Big Ten rather than see the Big 12 break up with Mizzou and Nebraska possibly being left in the lurch. I see Texas is looking after itself. If true, I don't much appreciate Texas threatening Nebraska with whatever. It seems the Big 12 possibly stands to be picked apart. That's too bad. I remember the old Big Eight. Maybe we should let the Texas schools go and return to the Big Eight. Should Texas opt for the revised Pac-10, fine. I can live without Texas in the Big 12. The Longhorns in the Pace-Whatever is fine with me. As a Sioux fan---WCHA forever--with the exception if UND is invited as an affiliate to a possible hockey Big Ten.

I am experiencing a certain amount of angst over this whole potential conference rearrangement. Having grown up in Minnesota while attending UND and later graduate school at Mizzou, I don't really want to see Minnesota and Missouri in the Big Ten together. That's my original feeling. Now, however, I'm open to Missouri as well as Nebraska joining the Big Ten rather than see the Big 12 break up with Mizzou and Nebraska possibly being left in the lurch. I see Texas is looking after itself. If true, I don't much appreciate Texas threatening Nebraska with whatever. It seems the Big 12 possibly stands to be picked apart. That's too bad. I remember the old Big Eight. Maybe we should let the Texas schools go and return to the Big Eight. Should Texas opt for the revised Pac-10, fine. I can live without Texas in the Big 12. The Longhorns in the Pace-Whatever is fine with me. As a Sioux fan---WCHA forever--with the exception if UND is invited as an affiliate to a possible hockey Big Ten.

If Missouri is added to the Big10, they'll be another program like Indiana, as their Texas recruiting pipeline will dry up. Nebraska, if it can still recruit nationally, may be O.K. This is all about money, not winning.

I actually sympathize with Texas, as they are trying to hold a conference together, even if it means less money. Texas isn't really the money-grubbing bastard here, it's the Big Ten. The sad thing is there's probably too much ill will within the Big 12 for it to survive. Missouri and Nebraska are basically throwing Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State to the wolves.

A PAC16 will never be harmonious like it was with 10. A Big10 with 16 teams won't be either: how excited will Minnesota or Nebraska be to play Rutgers?

With the direction of the Big 10, it's very clear UND will not be an affiliate in a Big Ten Hockey conference.

as far as und getting invited to a potential big ten hockey conference: why is that so far fetched? i mean, the big ten hockey conference itself is pretty far fetched, at least in the short term, but if that conference came to be, it would seem that inviting north dakota would be a no-brainer.

what are they gonna just run with minnesota, wisconsin, michigan, ohio state, and notre dame? really? a five team conference? i have a hard time believing that minnesota and wisconsin would give up playing denver, cc, und, and duluth just to play michigan (ohio state and notre dame don't offer much in the way of swaying anybody's decision on this matter). they have rpi to think about.

i suppose with only five teams, they could do two series each against the other four teams for a total of 16 games, which leaves them with 20 more games they could schedule against anybody they wanted. that would allow them to schedule the teams who are historically the best in each of the other conferences.

that's kind of a kick in the teeth to the teams who are trying to establish themselves though. teams like st cloud, bemidji, and uno would end up like aha teams who rarely get to hone their skills with some quality competition. the same would go for pretty much the entirety of the ccha if michigan left.

i just see this five team btc as a catalyst to a weaker overall d1 college hockey landscape, which will only hurt viewership. that isn't good for anybody involved.

i think expansion and realignment would be nice. i'd like to see five conferences of 12 teams each with a more even distribution of talented teams. that would eventually have the effect of making all teams better and, therefore, make for a more exciting season all around.

the big ten hockey conference seems like a mistake to me. with or without north dakota.

as far as und getting invited to a potential big ten hockey conference: why is that so far fetched? i mean, the big ten hockey conference itself is pretty far fetched, at least in the short term, but if that conference came to be, it would seem that inviting north dakota would be a no-brainer.

what are they gonna just run with minnesota, wisconsin, michigan, ohio state, and notre dame? really? a five team conference? i have a hard time believing that minnesota and wisconsin would give up playing denver, cc, und, and duluth just to play michigan (ohio state and notre dame don't offer much in the way of swaying anybody's decision on this matter). they have rpi to think about.

i suppose with only five teams, they could do two series each against the other four teams for a total of 16 games, which leaves them with 20 more games they could schedule against anybody they wanted. that would allow them to schedule the teams who are historically the best in each of the other conferences.

that's kind of a kick in the teeth to the teams who are trying to establish themselves though. teams like st cloud, bemidji, and uno would end up like aha teams who rarely get to hone their skills with some quality competition. the same would go for pretty much the entirety of the ccha if michigan left.

i just see this five team btc as a catalyst to a weaker overall d1 college hockey landscape, which will only hurt viewership. that isn't good for anybody involved.

i think expansion and realignment would be nice. i'd like to see five conferences of 12 teams each with a more even distribution of talented teams. that would eventually have the effect of making all teams better and, therefore, make for a more exciting season all around.

the big ten hockey conference seems like a mistake to me. with or without north dakota.

Michigan State would make it six. Unfortunately, this whole thing is not about what's best for college athletics. It's about metro markets, audiences, football, television networks, and content, which equals money.

Look at a college basketball brand like Kansas. They are on the outside looking in on almost every expansion scenario other than the status quo.

Michigan State would make it six. Unfortunately, this whole thing is not about what's best for college athletics. It's about metro markets, audiences, football, television networks, and content, which equals money.

Look at a college basketball brand like Kansas. They are on the outside looking in on almost every expansion scenario other than the status quo.

yeah, it does always come down to money and it's hard to fault an organization for trying to do what's best for them. however, it seems short-sighted. sure, the big ten network would make money in the short run, but long term i think this would hurt college hockey. i suppose the big ten net doesn't care that much as long as they suck how ever much money they can from college hockey before the results turn sour, but i'd hope another organization, such as the ncaa would step in and do what's best for college hockey.

this is probably a moot point anyways.

With the Big Ten in the middle of expansion talks, apparently the schools being considered for addition are all being asked what the potential is for each of them to add college hockey and become part of a Big Ten hockey conference. It's possible that the Big Ten may require their new schools to add hockey as a condition of acceptance, thereby giving the Big Ten more content for it's Big Ten Network.

A new arena has been approved by the city of Lincoln and Nebraska will be playing all its BB games there. The arena will be hockey capable.

Lincoln (NE) new Haymarket Arena

doc4bf86b2c91a87374270278.jpg

In Columbia, Missouri, all of the sudden, possibly coincidental to the Mizzou/Big Ten talks, but possibly not, there is talk of building an ice arena.

Possible Columbia (Mo) ice rink

Pittsburgh, Rutgers, and Syracuse all have off-campus arenas they can access for games.

I don't think hockey will play any role in the Big Ten's decision. It'll come down to football, academics, TV revenues, new markets, and maybe basketball. As much as I, a Syracuse fan in most sports, would like lacrosse to be part of the equation, I don't think it will be.

Nebraska is supposed to announce Friday that the will be moving to the big 10. I also herd on the radio here in Columbia MO that Mizzou officials will be in meeting this morning about them going to the big 10 as well. I will post more info as I get it.

Nebraska is supposed to announce Friday that the will be moving to the big 10. I also herd on the radio here in Columbia MO that Mizzou officials will be in meeting this morning about them going to the big 10 as well. I will post more info as I get it.

Would Beebe's ultimatim have had any effect on NEbraska's decision?

If Texas had simply asked Nebraska to consider sticking around and doing what it could to help Nebraska make staying in the Big 12 an ideal thing instead of saying "tell us by Friday" and what not, would the outcome have been the same? I wonder.

Would Beebe's ultimatim have had any effect on NEbraska's decision?

If Texas had simply asked Nebraska to consider sticking around and doing what it could to help Nebraska make staying in the Big 12 an ideal thing instead of saying "tell us by Friday" and what not, would the outcome have been the same? I wonder.

The issues between UT and NU have been around for a long time. They're finally coming to a head.

ESPN is reporting that Mizzou has announced no formal invite and a Big 12 official said even if only Nebraska left they might've kicked out Mizzou for pushing to Big 10. Also apparently Nebraska was pimping themselves to Big 10 and knocking down Mizzou saying nebraska could deliver KC market and Illinois does St. Louis.