SiouxSports.com Forum

Interesting Rumors on Big Ten and hockey expansion

star2city

With the Big Ten in the middle of expansion talks, apparently the schools being considered for addition are all being asked what the potential is for each of them to add college hockey and become part of a Big Ten hockey conference. It's possible that the Big Ten may require their new schools to add hockey as a condition of acceptance, thereby giving the Big Ten more content for it's Big Ten Network.

A new arena has been approved by the city of Lincoln and Nebraska will be playing all its BB games there. The arena will be hockey capable.

Lincoln (NE) new Haymarket Arena

doc4bf86b2c91a87374270278.jpg

In Columbia, Missouri, all of the sudden, possibly coincidental to the Mizzou/Big Ten talks, but possibly not, there is talk of building an ice arena.

Possible Columbia (Mo) ice rink

Pittsburgh, Rutgers, and Syracuse all have off-campus arenas they can access for games.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If hockey was such a lynchpin to the deal (I don't think it is) they'd target BC, UConn, add Notre Dame as an affiliate and it would be a done deal.

Football will always be the driver.

Hockey wouldn't be anywhere near a linchpin, but it would be a consideration. Any of the five schools mentioned would gladly take the offer: with all the extra money they'd be pulling in from the Big Ten contracts, hockey would be paid for even if no tickets were sold. Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue, etc won't be forced to start hockey, by any means. Big Ten Commish Delaney will extract all the money he can from all sports - hockey included. Minnesota soon won't have the influence to stop the changes Delaney wants.

The Big Ten would gladly take in Texas and Texas A&M without any such precondition. In that case, Texas would demand that the Big Ten upgrade it's baseball capability - and the Big Ten would almost surely comply because Texas is worth huge $'s.

It's possible that the Big Ten may require their new schools to add hockey as a condition of acceptance, thereby giving the Big Ten more content for it's Big Ten Network.

That's where I got the idea of "lynchpin". I do agree with you that the Big Ten Hockey Conference has a more than realistic chance of happening. Hockey is just too expensive to start up.

That's where I got the idea of "lynchpin". I do agree with you that the Big Ten Hockey Conference has a more than realistic chance of happening. Hockey is just too expensive to start up.

Sorry, should have been more clear.

Delany is basically asking what kind of extras each of those schools can deliver to the Big Ten.

One of the more recent rumors another set of schools the Big Ten is pondering is Texas, Texas A&M, Rutgers, Maryland, and Virginia. In that case, hockey certainly wouldn't be as prominent in the discussions.

Sorry, should have been more clear.

Delany is basically asking what kind of extras each of those schools can deliver to the Big Ten.

One of the more recent rumors another set of schools the Big Ten is pondering is Texas, Texas A&M, Rutgers, Maryland, and Virginia. In that case, hockey certainly wouldn't be as prominent in the discussions.

The big programming gap to fill is in the spring in my opinion. Lacrosse might be the ticket, with existing and prospective members Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Notre Dame, Virginia, Maryland, and Syracuse.

The big programming gap to fill is in the spring in my opinion. Lacrosse might be the ticket, with existing and prospective members Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Notre Dame, Virginia, Maryland, and Syracuse.

Chicago Tribune: Big Ten Expansion Revenue Increase

Based on this info, Nebraska and Missouri's conference revenue would increase from around 8 million in the Big 12 to 22 million in the Big 10 and later to 30 million with the increased power of the Big 10 Network.

Nebraska and Missouri could essentially triple their take home pay for a conference change. If hockey was a precondition to acceptance (with a 2 million annual price tag), those schools would still take in $18 million more.

Chicago Tribune: Big Ten Expansion Revenue Increase

Based on this info, Nebraska and Missouri's conference revenue would increase from around 8 million in the Big 12 to 22 million in the Big 10 and later to 30 million with the increased power of the Big 10 Network.

Nebraska and Missouri could essentially triple their take home pay for a conference change. If hockey was a precondition to acceptance (with a 2 million annual price tag), those schools would still take in $18 million more.

Wow! Heretorefore I have been against either Missouri or Nebraska leaving what was formerly the Big Eight and is now the Big Twelve. Having grown up a Minnesota fan, I'd just as soon have Minnesota and Missouri in separate conferences instead of vying against each other. Nevertheless, money talks. I'd hate to see the old Big Eight (previously the Big Six and then the Big Seven before the addition of Colorado and Oklahoma State) virtually destroyed by slicing away a team here and a team there, but it's really not up to me. I'd rather have Missouri and Nebraska in the revised Big Ten instead of the Texas schools. It's going to be interesting, no doubt about that.

Everything I've heard from back home points towards the new arena NOT being ice capable. Besides, Nebraska has a hockey team up at UNO. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a team there, but you'd run into Title IX issues, which team do you cut to add hockey?

On the Big Ten front, the idea is definitely growing on Husker fans, me included. The obvious money bonus is big, but also some very epic games (though I'm sure the shine would come off eventually). The only team I'd really miss from the Big XII is Oklahoma, we've never really had a true rival since the yearly Nebraska v. Oklahoma game ended. Osborne warned everyone at the formation of the Big XII that the Texas teams would ruin it. Texas has ruined every conference it's been in, and the same is happening to the Big XII. Oh well, on to the Big Ten I say, and a parting butt-whooping of Texas this year to rub it in.

I think the importance of hockey in any B10 expansion, let alone forming a B10 hockey conference, may be overstated. Hockey is a very expensive sport, with a fairly limited appeal. Getting a team like Texas or Nebraska-Lincoln to field two D1 hockey teams solely to move into a new conference probably won't happen. Other sports like LaX may be more palatable strictly from cost, fund raising and fanbase perspectives

I think the importance of hockey in any B10 expansion, let alone forming a B10 hockey conference, may be overstated. Hockey is a very expensive sport, with a fairly limited appeal. Getting a team like Texas or Nebraska-Lincoln to field two D1 hockey teams solely to move into a new conference probably won't happen. Other sports like LaX may be more palatable strictly from cost, fund raising and fanbase perspectives

If these schools can add an additional $20 million in new revenue just by joining the Big 10, using $2 or 3 million to add hockey would not be a huge cost. They still add at least $17 million in new money to the budget without having to increase fundraising. I don't know how it will figure into the discussion for the schools, but I think that several of them would take a hard look at hockey if it were made a part of the process.

If these schools can add an additional $20 million in new revenue just by joining the Big 10, using $2 or 3 million to add hockey would not be a huge cost. They still add at least $17 million in new money to the budget without having to increase fundraising. I don't know how it will figure into the discussion for the schools, but I think that several of them would take a hard look at hockey if it were made a part of the process.

Doesn't some of that additional revenue have to go towards adding a women's sport to be in good shape regarding the title IX? If that's not an option, what men's sport would they cut?

It's hard to fathom a team from Texas pulling a competitive team together.

Doesn't some of that additional revenue have to go towards adding a women's sport to be in good shape regarding the title IX? If that's not an option, what men's sport would they cut?

It's hard to fathom a team from Texas pulling a competitive team together.

$2 million for a men's hockey team and $1 million for a women's team each year would go a long way toward paying for new sports (as long as they have some kind of facility to play in already). The discussion seems to be moving away from Texas and on toward other schools like Nebraska and Missouri, or some of the schools further east. But why couldn't Texas put together a competitive team? The Dallas Stars have had some good teams in the NHL so they can attract hockey players to Texas. They wouldn't have much for local recruits, but they could attract a lot of players to play for a name school like the University of Texas.

$2 million for a men's hockey team and $1 million for a women's team each year would go a long way toward paying for new sports (as long as they have some kind of facility to play in already). The discussion seems to be moving away from Texas and on toward other schools like Nebraska and Missouri, or some of the schools further east. But why couldn't Texas put together a competitive team? The Dallas Stars have had some good teams in the NHL so they can attract hockey players to Texas. They wouldn't have much for local recruits, but they could attract a lot of players to play for a name school like the University of Texas.

I don't claim to be connected or anything but I have heard about the hockey in Lincoln debate but...

Anyone who's been to Omaha or Lincoln knows that this place is Husker Football and Creighton Basketball country.

I guess i just don't see it working in Lincoln.

I don't claim to be connected or anything but I have heard about the hockey in Lincoln debate but...

Anyone who's been to Omaha or Lincoln knows that this place is Husker Football and Creighton Basketball country.

lived in omaha, went to creighton, and you are correct that husker football is number one in that part of the country, by a large margin. bluejay bouncyball is probably number two, but omaha in particular (and i would imagine lincoln) is a great sports city. they support both uno and lancer hockey pretty well and there are some hardcore hockey fans in omaha, so it is possible a hockey team in lincoln would do ok. plus the added bonus of a uno/husker hockey rivalry would be a nice bonus. im not saying it would jump above husker football or creighton basketball, but does it need to to be successful? heck, you could argue that gopher hockey is the third or fourth sport at the u of m, but i think it is still a successful program. i am all for more college hockey programs if it strengthens the sport as a whole. i don't like the big 10 hockey conference idea, but with $$$$$ the driving factor, there are alot of reasons for it to happen.

As stated before, football is by far the driving consideration with basketball also of serious but secondary concern. Sports like hockey, lacrosse, and baseball would all be the extra gravy needed for programming but still profitable for the whole Big Ten Network. Remember, the Delaney and the Big Ten are thinking big: they just don't want a Big Ten Network, they want a mini-NCAA network that can essentially dictate to the NCAA what they want. They want programming that will rival ESPN (longer-term), and be more than say the NFL Network, or the Baseball Network, etc.

As it is, a Big 10 hockey conference would have interest in three states (MN, WI, MI ). If the Big Ten could expand those boundaries to PA, NJ, NY, NE, and MO (or even TX), the impact on the Big Ten Network's bottom line would be significant enough to warrant program investments by new schools. It would also have the effect of cementing the new schools into the Big Ten.

Right now, the Big Ten is waving around a $20 million annual annuity and asking prospective partners what they can offer for that cash. For schools like Rutgers or Missouri or even Nebraska, adding M/W hockey and M/W lacrosse plus an indoor baseball practice facility would all be enticements for the Big Ten to select those schools. Personally, I think something like college hockey would be huge in places like Austin, Syracuse, and Lincoln. After all, Nebraska can attract 17,000 fans to women's volleyball in Omaha. But the bottom line is hockey could lose a million a year in Lincoln but Tom Osborne would still see $20 million extra floating into his coffers.

Big Ten Hockey may very well not occur in the next decade, but it's getting to the point where it would be foolish to bet against it happening.

I just hope that our leadership isn't caught blind-sided by what could happen.

If they pay for it out of the $20 million in added revenues they will receive just for joining the conference, then anyone they get to show up for games is just gravy. And as others have said, Lincoln is a sports town. The USHL has done well there. I don't think it is out of the question that Nebraska would consider adding the sport with the right incentive.

Syracuse is a name that caught my eye because a couple years ago they already said they were committed to adding D1 hockey. It might have fallen through because I haven't heard much since, but that wasn't a rumor, that was straight from the school.

Now, with the possible move to the Big Ten, that may come to fruition again.

I don't recall there being a hockey arena of any consequence near UT. Texas could add as many hockey teams as it wanted just from its endowment, but they aren't going to do so unless they produce winners. That's really their bottom line. Moreover, I don't see any real benefit for Texas to join the Big10, or any real benefit for Nebraska either. Somehow a Texas-Minnesota football game doesn't have ring as Texas-Oklahoma or an A&M game.

Perhaps the Big10 would be better off whoring itself to Notre Dame, and call it a day.

I don't recall there being a hockey arena of any consequence near UT. Texas could add as many hockey teams as it wanted just from its endowment, but they aren't going to do so unless they produce winners. That's really their bottom line. Moreover, I don't see any real benefit for Texas to join the Big10, or any real benefit for Nebraska either. Somehow a Texas-Minnesota football game doesn't have ring as Texas-Oklahoma or an A&M game.

Perhaps the Big10 would be better off whoring itself to Notre Dame, and call it a day.

i think that notre dame always has been, and always will be the big 10s first choice. that being said, unless something changes, notre dame has stayed committed to being an independent. the big 10 is really pushing to move forward with this, so they are exploring other avenues. i don't know how the academics of the aforementioned schools fits in, but since they are on the list i will assume they all fit the criteria. i know others have mentioned that texas would be the first choice, but i actually see nebraska and syracuse as very viable options for a big 10 expansion, and both could add a hockey program, which would be a nice bonus, but not the driving force.

They do have club hockey at UT. The Chapparal Ice (aka the Bat Cave) is also home to the Austin Ice Bats.. Regardless, hockey at UT is not bloody likely.

i think that notre dame always has been, and always will be the big 10s first choice. that being said, unless something changes, notre dame has stayed committed to being an independent. the big 10 is really pushing to move forward with this, so they are exploring other avenues. i don't know how the academics of the aforementioned schools fits in, but since they are on the list i will assume they all fit the criteria. i know others have mentioned that texas would be the first choice, but i actually see nebraska and syracuse as very viable options for a big 10 expansion, and both could add a hockey program, which would be a nice bonus, but not the driving force.

More so than even Notre Dame, the Big Ten salivates at the thought of adding Texas. With almost 10,000,000 homes, adding Texas to the Big Ten Network is worth as a bare minimum nearly $60 million annually just in Big Ten Network cable revenue ($1month x 12 months x 10 million x 50% penetration). Adding Texas would mean nearly $5-10 million more revenue to every Big Ten school. If gaining UT meant stripping the Big 12 of five schools, like Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, and TAMU, the Big Ten would do it in a heartbeat. UT more than anything craves academic credentials: the Big Ten provides that. Notre Dame would be a huge addition, but UT is the bigger prize.

The Big Ten's criteria for admission (except for Notre Dame) is membership in the AAU - Association of American Universities - which is a group of 60-some high intensive research universities. All Big Ten members are also AAU members. Only 2 SEC members are AAU members (Fla and Vanderbilt), only 5 of the ACC (UNC, Duke, Md, UVa, GT), 7 of the Pac 10, 7 of the Big 12 (ISU, CU, KU, NU, MU, aTm, and UT), and 3 of the Big East (Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse). With the exceptions of Florida, Duke, Colorado (the Pac10 is interested, though) and Iowa State (not enough media power) all of the schools specifically listed above have been rumored as possible targets. Rumors have been mostly focused on Texas, TAMU, Missouri, Nebraska, Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt, as well as Notre Dame.

Here is your hockey arena. It is in Cedar Park, a suburb of Austin. This blurb is from Wikipedia.

The Cedar Park Center is an indoor arena located near Austin, Texas. It is named after the city in which it is located, Cedar Park, Texas. Currently, no corporate sponsor owns the naming rights to the arena. The arena is home to the Texas Stars of the American Hockey League.

Construction began in 2008, at a cost of $55 Million, and the new arena was officially opened in September 2009. The building's first event took place on September 25, 2009, featuring country music artist George Strait.[1]

The 6,800-seat sports arena is located at the corner of 183A and New Hope Road in Cedar Park, Texas.

The primary tenant is the Texas Stars ice hockey team of the American Hockey League.[2][3] The af2 Austin Wranglers were also considering playing in the arena, but the team ceased operations in mid-2008.[4]

The city of Cedar Park owns the event center, and has partnered with Dallas-based Hicks Sports Marketing to develop an adjacent tract into a 182,000 SF retail and office complex. Their affiliate, Center Operating Group, will manage, book, and staff the event center. Hicks Sports Marketing assumes the operating risk of the arena.[5]

Everything we are hearing here in New Jersey says it is 99.9% certain they will invite Rutgers into The Big Ten ( I still can't believe this is even a possibility considering the bungling of our sports programs from 1977 until about ten years ago). Are you guys in North Dakota and other Midwest states reading and hearing we will definitely be invited? Thanks for any comments.

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS!

By the way, Rutgers does have a club hockey team but I think with Title 9,we would have to come up with A LOT of money to add two more Division 1 sports teams.

Everything we are hearing here in New Jersey says it is 99.9% certain they will invite Rutgers into The Big Ten ( I still can't believe this is even a possibility considering the bungling of our sports programs from 1977 until about ten years ago). Are you guys in North Dakota and other Midwest states reading and hearing we will definitely be invited? Thanks for any comments.

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS!

By the way, Rutgers does have a club hockey team but I think with Title 9,we would have to come up with A LOT of money to add two more Division 1 sports teams.

With television being such an important factor Rutgers makes a ton of sense.