SiouxSports.com Forum

Suspensions and Injurys

yellowknife

Wehrs gives little to no upward force. There is always a reactive force, yes, and if Wehrs had been stationary or pushing upward into the check it would have been greater, but Wehrs has little or no kinetic energy to transfer, and Frattin would actually LOSE kinetic energy because he transferred some of it to Wehrs. If you remember the hip check that... um... Hextall? or Blood? threw on Marvin where he stuck his butt out and Marvin went flying, that was because Hextall was ready for the hit, stuck his butt out and was moving into the hit. All that energy got transferred back to Marvin and whee!!!!!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wehrs gives little to no upward force. There is always a reactive force, yes, and if Wehrs had been stationary or pushing upward into the check it would have been greater, but Wehrs has little or no kinetic energy to transfer, and Frattin would actually LOSE kinetic energy because he transferred some of it to Wehrs. If you remember the hip check that... um... Hextall? or Blood? threw on Marvin where he stuck his butt out and Marvin went flying, that was because Hextall was ready for the hit, stuck his butt out and was moving into the hit. All that energy got transferred back to Marvin and whee!!!!!

Ok :glare: .... I still look at that first picture, at Matt's legs, left knee bent, skate flat on the ice, right leg behind him, knee bent, toe on ice and can't see how he can jump. I tried it, without momemtum of course and can't do it. I guess you need that reactive force.

The question is, did he jump into the hit? I don't see it. I see him go up after the hit.

I've watched the Frattin hit about 12 times and I notice that his feet only leave the ice after the hit is made...kinda of like riding up on wehr when he made the hit...wehr slide low whilst he moved up....I don't see him launching off of his skates prior to the hit. I would ask everyone to slow down the hit right before contact and you can see his feet are solidly on the ground. My 2 cents...

BobIwabuchiFan

I noticed the exact same thing, his right skate NEVER leaves the ice prior to or during initial contact, and his left skate only left the ice during a stride, which is where the charging call comes in to play. Wehrs turtle-like reaction gave Frattin no where to go but up..

Great. The hit was worthy suspension, but not worthy of a game misconduct. Brilliant.

Games two and three had serious problems with the refs that really shaped the outcome of each game. At least it was fair I guess.

Any word on how Wehr is doing? Believe me, we all hope he's ok.

Is this charging too? This is a race for the puck gone bad... and IMO this is worse than the hit Frattin put on. Everyone should remember this play, and there was no penalty called, let alone an additional game suspension. WCHA is a joke and we all know it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pasfffw75GY

Matt was going for a big hit on Wehr. He himself said as much. The penalty he was called for initially was right on, charging. The suspension is for skating too fast, hitting too hard, and hurting Wehr. It's written in the goof's training book, 'What Not To Do When Playing Hocky', chapter, 'No Physical Contact With Any Player On The Opposing Team'.

I don't condone hitting to injure and I don't believe that was Matt's intent. He wanted to make the goofs wary and intimidate them. He was successful.

Um another easy one make at least the slightest attempt to play the puck.

Or

wait to hit Wehrs once he actually has "posession" of the puck.

Your right it was a race to the puck. Problem was one player wasn't racing to the puck (Fratts). The other was. It was essentially a tie with Wehrs stopping just before he touched it (or right after barely touching it) after he noticed Frattin wasn't attempting to play the puck. Thus him lowering his body embracing for a huge hit.

And hence a Charge was called. Especially given the distance Fratts traveled not even looking where the puck was.

If you are arguing that wasn't a charging penalty I would dare to call you a non smart hockey fan. Please educate yourself.

Thanks for proving my point. You can't "get to the puck" first and not play the puck but instead play the man. That makes no sense. You have competing forces here.

Again you can't "box out" a hockey player. That is another penalty. Its called Interference.

You proved yourself not worthy of anymore of my time.

Obviously you are about saving time, that is why you didn't go back to confirm your assumptions of my points that drew you to the conclusion that my arguments were weak.

Incorrect assumption #1:

I am not arguing that he shouldn't have gotten a charging call.

I asked the following;

"For those of you that think it was worth a suspesion, what would you tell Fratten to do different as he was racing to that puck that he got to first?"

Incorrect assumption #2:

you sure as heck can box a player out when you have the puck and it is standard

What I was refering to when I said Box out Wehrs would have meant skating past the puck (from the direction Fratten was skating) and turning his back to Wehrs as he(Fratten) "played the puck"

That is legal, standard and proper body positioning when playing the puck on the boards.

To bad you won't see that your assumptions were off since I get no more of your time :glare:

and here is a bonus Factoid that you will miss too:

Marvin's hit on Genoway cost his team the following:

1. 0 penalty minutes.

2. One regular season game without his presence.

Frattin's hit on Wehrs cost the Sioux the following:

1. 5 minute MAJOR penalty (ie getting scored on does not get your player back) in a playoff game

2. one Final Five game without maybe the best player (based on current play) in the Nation.

I think we payed more for both incidents huh?

Does anybody on here use USCHO.com for all you college hockey scores and stories from other leagues? I do, but I have a bone to pick with them when it comes to covering my beloved Fighting Sioux.

Most of the season the rarely have front page pictures or links to anything Fighting Sioux. Then we play our rival Minnesota in a first round playoff match-up which would, no doubt, have a lot of drama surrounded by exceptional college hockey - On USCHO.com hopepage, narely a mention of the series Ugh!

Now, one of our players (Frattin) throws a questionable hit, gets a 5-minute major, then finds out Monday he will be suspended for our WCHA final five play-in game this Thursday because of the hit. Guess what? USCHO.com has the story as a homepage headline, equipt with picture of our "awesome" jersey and everything - all with negative connotations.

Where is the love USCHO.com? Every year we are a top contender in D1 college hockey, AND we have a large fan base unusual compared to our geographical location, so wouldn't a college hockey based website like to follow some of our stories and games closer than say Ferris State, Northern Mich, etc...? Not to downplay the reputations at those schools, I would just like to be mentioned along with them.

Or did we do something to deserve the cold shoulder?

I asked the question, what should he have done different?

Your arguments have a disregard for the fact that he and Wehrs were both in a high speed chase situation to get possesion of a puck in a do or die playoff game tied 1-1.

So Fratten gets there first and decides to take the man because he has Trupp to get the puck. That is correct positioning for cycling play. We do it dozens of times a game.

Now you might argue that he should have put the breaks on and boxed out Wehrs in Liou of checking him, but I would contend that he did not have him beat to the puck by enough to make that work.

If Fratten would have hit the breaks and vyed for position I think he would have gotten nailed and lost an opportunity for possesion.

That's how I see it.

Sioux hockey doesn't involve hitting the brakes. Hit! Frattin did the right thing.

Does anybody on here use USCHO.com for all you college hockey scores and stories from other leagues? I do, but I have a bone to pick with them when it comes to covering my beloved Fighting Sioux.

Most of the season the rarely have front page pictures or links to anything Fighting Sioux. Then we play our rival Minnesota in a first round playoff match-up which would, no doubt, have a lot of drama surrounded by exceptional college hockey - On USCHO.com hopepage, narely a mention of the series Ugh!

Now, one of our players (Frattin) throws a questionable hit, gets a 5-minute major, then finds out Monday he will be suspended for our WCHA final five play-in game this Thursday because of the hit. Guess what? USCHO.com has the story as a homepage headline, equipt with picture of our "awesome" jersey and everything - all with negative connotations.

Where is the love USCHO.com? Every year we are a top contender in D1 college hockey, AND we have a large fan base unusual compared to our geographical location, so wouldn't a college hockey based website like to follow some of our stories and games closer than say Ferris State, Northern Mich, etc...? Not to downplay the reputations at those schools, I would just like to be mentioned along with them.

Well, he is the only player to be arrested twice, and suspended twice this season, so he probably should be front page news over there.

Well, he is the only player to be arrested twice, and suspended twice this season, so he probably should be front page news over there.

I agree. The COLLEGE HOCKEY website should put him on the front page for the reasons you listed. Not because he's awesoem at hockey.

I agree. The COLLEGE HOCKEY website should put him on the front page for the reasons you listed. Not because he's awesoem at hockey.

Hey skippy go talk about your upcoming games, Oh that's right your done for the season!!! sorry I misunderstood you awesome, pointed at the super skippy happy!

Hey skippy go talk about your upcoming games, Oh that's right your done for the season!!! sorry I misunderstood you awesome, pointed at the super skippy happy!

Sarcasm is sometimes hard to pick up when reading text.

I'm just curious.... if "Awesome" can't spell his name in his post, how does he log into this site?

Thank God for "Remember this Computer" option on the login, eh? :glare:

Personally, yes, Frattin's hit was worthy of a major. I wish Frattin would have turned even just a bit (lead more with shoulder/hip, and not the chest), but I also wish Wehrs would have leaned in against the boards rather than cowering back. Was the suspension justified? In the current league climate, yes. (Can we work on fixing the climate so we don't have to have these discussions?)

However, I do believe there was a hit this weekend more than worthy of a game suspension but it didn't: Malone's open ice, center ice cross-check to the face of a Gopher defenseman.

I'm just curious.... if "Awesome" can't spell his name in his post, how does he log into this site?

Thank God for "Remember this Computer" option on the login, eh? :glare:

That or I just copy and paste it. "Awesome" is a very hard word to spell...give me a break here.

Let's not forget USCHO.com is based on Minneapolis. There's a chance that has something to do with it.

Personally, yes, Frattin's hit was worthy of a major. I wish Frattin would have turned even just a bit (lead more with shoulder/hip, and not the chest), but I also wish Wehrs would have leaned in against the boards rather than cowering back. Was the suspension justified? In the current league climate, yes. (Can we work on fixing the climate so we don't have to have these discussions?)

However, I do believe there was a hit this weekend more than worthy of a game suspension but it didn't: Malone's open ice, center ice cross-check to the face of a Gopher defenseman.

don't give the WCHA officilas ammo! :glare:

However, I do believe there was a hit this weekend more than worthy of a game suspension but it didn't: Malone's open ice, center ice cross-check to the face of a Gopher defenseman. [Wehrs, again, the recipient -- only because of his wicked slash/high hit in the corner that was uncalled -- retribution under "the Code," perhaps?]

That hit was not as brutal as the double-shot cross-check to the face of one Mario Lamoureux that could easily have been a major, but was not even called as a minor penalty, either. This type of inconsistency also comes into play with Hextall's off-setting minor for interference (?) -- with what, the Goofer's fists? -- during Saturday's tilt.

The Gopher Faithless have been bitching about officiating up and down the GPL boards, too, so perhaps the games were better officiated than I thought. Just like situational ethics, Frattin's suspension was a situational edict. He pays for the lack of balls displayed by Mssrs. McLeod and G. Shepherd (and lack of eyes by the pre-Turkey Day officiating crew in GF) earlier this season.

The series of hits leading up to and including the Frattin major energized the crowd, his teammates and demoralized the Goofers. Taken collectively with the awesome ensuing penalty kill, it all turned the tide of the game. Pre-Marvin, this might not have even been a minor penalty, much less a suspension.

I am ready to move on, but one thing that bugs me is this: Mcleod was asked for details about why Frattin was suspended. He declined to explain, instead stating "several" factors were at play.

If nobody knows the details of why Frattin got the extra game, how is that going to help officials, players coaches, etc understand what they can and cannot do?

This league is broken at the top, and needs a major overhaul. Bruce Mcleod and Greg Shepherd need to go. I think most WCHA fans would agree with me on this.

BTW, I AM VERY DISSAPOINTED in all of the SS.com members and Sioux Bloggers that threw him under the bus by saying that a suspension was warranted!!

Not me!

I had to review the video to get up to speed on the hit. This hit was a text book charge and maybe interference and I was surprised when I found out that Frattin hadn