SiouxSports.com Forum

Old Timer's Hockey Recollections

NorthDakotaHockey

How about some new blood on this board, eh? Things kind of start bogging down mid-week of a Sioux-Gophers series.

So, some will remember, either having seen him skate in The Barn, or from following history, the story of Terry Casey.

All American from the mid-60's. A Montana boy of all places.

Casey was later killed in a car crash. In Montana I believe. Shortly after his career had ended as I recall.

Here are my questions. When was he killed? Was it in Montana? What was his number? Haven't the Sioux also retired that number

along with Ralph's? If so, why ain't it hanging in the rafters? Or is it?

Ralph and Terry. #23. #12 I'm thinking. Two great Sioux players from the yesteryears.

How about some new blood on this board, eh? Things kind of start bogging down mid-week of a Sioux-Gophers series.

So, some will remember, either having seen him skate in The Barn, or from following history, the story of Terry Casey.

All American from the mid-60's. A Montana boy of all places.

Casey was later killed in a car crash. In Montana I believe. Shortly after his career had ended as I recall.

Here are my questions. When was he killed? Was it in Montana? What was his number? Haven't the Sioux also retired that number

along with Ralph's? If so, why ain't it hanging in the rafters? Or is it?

Ralph and Terry. #23. #12 I'm thinking. Two great Sioux players from the yesteryears.

Terry Casey wore #12, it is retired, I am not sure why it isn't in the rafters.

According to this website, The Legend of Terry Casey

In July of 1968, Terry and two buddies were killed in a head-on collision near Plentywood, where they were headed for a fast-pitch softball tournament.

Plentywood is in Montana according to Google maps, over in the northeastern part and not far from the border with North Dakota and if the info on hockeydb.com is right...his career ended in 1967.

Thanks a million for the info and the recollection.

Terry Casey. One of the Fighting Sioux's finest, and probably the only, or one of the

only, Sioux hockey players from the Big Sky.

Killed in a head on shortly after his senior year. Just as tragic of a story as was George Pelawa's who, sadly, never donned the uniform

as his last senior year was in the high school.

They also have the Terry Casey Memorial Tournament in Great Falls, Mt. which is where he was from, which is a tough midget hockey tournament and they have a trophy which I think is called the Casey Cup.

It's played towards the end of March each year and draws quite a few Canadian teams also.

I was probably there to see him play, but don't remember any players from back then. The picture of All American's in the programs always haunted me. Unlike the other pictures, his was just of his head, looking out to the future. And then there was that black band across it.

I swiped the photo in my sig from that Legend of Terry Casey link that was already mentioned.

That site also said that he was already picked to be Captain of the US Olympic team when he was killed.

First time I saw a womens player come out in 12 it just didn't look right.

When you lose an all-American, team captain to a car wreck before his senior year you just put the number away.

Wow. That's right. It was before his senior year. Summer of 1968. The country and world were upside down.

Here is Casey's line per 75 Years of Fighting Sioux Hockey History book:

'63-'66 C/W GP-88 57-61-118 7/14 Great Falls, MT.

Thanks a million for the info and the recollection.

Terry Casey. One of the Fighting Sioux's finest, and probably the only, or one of the

only, Sioux hockey players from the Big Sky.

Killed in a head on shortly after his senior year. Just as tragic of a story as was George Pelawa's who, sadly, never donned the uniform

as his last senior year was in the high school.

you are welcome, I actually couldn't recall anything other than geographic knowledge..I am unfortunately not old enough to remember Casey and when he played...I had to look it up. Google is my friend!

Speaking of old timers, in Colorado Springs I ran into Kunz(?) maybe at one of the restaurants and he said he played in the late 60s I believe. Don't have any of my books handy to look it up, but maybe someone remembers.

Speaking of old timers, in Colorado Springs I ran into Kunz(?) maybe at one of the restaurants and he said he played in the late 60s I believe. Don't have any of my books handy to look it up, but maybe someone remembers.

Can't find anything close under either a "K" or a "C". Don't remember him, but like The Whistler says, I don't remember many names from then, only the fast action, the chicken wire, the hanging smoke, and the smell of booze in the air. And how cold it often was. In a span of but thirty short years, our arenas went from horse-and-buggy to jet aireoplane. I am going to ask The Ralph to consider hanging that jersey up there in the rafters sometime soon. Not as big as or next to Ralph's, but it oughta be up there.

I was twelve in the summer of '68, and remember the stories in the Heardit, and the sadness and shock that surrounded the tragedy. Casey played on the same teams as did Dennis Hextall, Brett's Pa.

Can't find anything close under either a "K" or a "C". Don't remember him, but like The Whistler says, I don't remember many names from then, only the fast action, the chicken wire, the hanging smoke, and the smell of booze in the air. And how cold it often was. In a span of but thirty short years, our arenas went from horse-and-buggy to jet aireoplane. I am going to ask The Ralph to consider hanging that jersey up there in the rafters sometime soon. Not as big as or next to Ralph's, but it oughta be up there.

I was twelve in the summer of '68, and remember the stories in the Heardit, and the sadness and shock that surrounded the tragedy. Casey played on the same teams as did Dennis Hextall, Brett's Pa.

Brett's dad is Ron Hextall, not Dennis - they are related, though.

Brett's dad is Ron Hextall, not Dennis - they are related, though.

I believe Dennis is Brett's great uncle. Forwards Terry Casey and Dennis Hextall were first-team all-WCHA in 1966.

I know what folks have said here, but I thought Terry Casey died in summer of 1967, not 1968.

When you lose an all-American, team captain to a car wreck before his senior year you just put the number away.

Sica, I agree about retiring the number for both teams, men and women, but I don't think the he died before his senior year. Casey played from 63 through 66. I believe freshmen weren't permitted to play back then, and they wouldn't be allowed until a few years later (please correct me if I'm wrong here) so he was a senior for the 65-66 season. He died two years later, in July 1968.

RIP

Sica, I agree about retiring the number for both teams, men and women, but I don't think the he died before his senior year. Casey played from 63 through 66. I believe freshmen weren't permitted to play back then, and they wouldn't be allowed until a few years later (please correct me if I'm wrong here) so he was a senior for the 65-66 season. He died two years later, in July 1968.

RIP

I'm finding conflicting information info depending on the source when I'm searching around on the web.

Good catch on the "three years of play" back in that era. You're more than likely right on that one so that would put his death after his eligibility expired.

He played for the US in a world championship in 1967 is what I'm finding also, so 1968 is seeming more accurate.

I might as well post this here, seeing as this is kind of the "memory lane" thread...

So, last weekend I was at the Wisconsin State High School championship game, held at the Alliant Energy Center in Madison, formerly known as the Colliseum I believe, scene of the Water Bottle incident most of us are aware of. (if not see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G-FTg419NM )

Anyhow, of course I couldn't help but think of the history there as I sat across from the benches, sharing the story with some friends I was with (of course they replied, "uh...yeah, great story"). So anyways, here a couple pics what it looks like now. As a side note, pretty sad attendance for a state championship game...I gotta believe in ND or MN there would be a much better showing.

4424298049_57ef17613f_b.jpg

4425062116_2e5e36c03b_b.jpg

I might as well post this here, seeing as this is kind of the "memory lane" thread...

So, last weekend I was at the Wisconsin State High School championship game, held at the Alliant Energy Center in Madison, formerly known as the Colliseum I believe, scene of the Water Bottle incident most of us are aware of. (if not see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G-FTg419NM )

Anyhow, of course I couldn't help but think of the history there as I sat across from the benches, sharing the story with some friends I was with (of course they replied, "uh...yeah, great story"). So anyways, here a couple pics what it looks like now. As a side note, pretty sad attendance for a state championship game...I gotta believe in ND or MN there would be a much better showing.

4425062116_2e5e36c03b_b.jpg

Saw a few games there - my first was Feb '79, as the Sioux were on there way to a McNaughton cup. The place was rocking to start the game, and then Sioux (Taylor or Christian) scored 10 seconds into the game and the place was pretty quiet the rest of the weekend as UND went on to sweep the Badgers. Sat next to the Sioux bench (the one on the right side).

I'm finding conflicting information info depending on the source when I'm searching around on the web.

Good catch on the "three years of play" back in that era. You're more than likely right on that one so that would put his death after his eligibility expired.

He played for the US in a world championship in 1967 is what I'm finding also, so 1968 is seeming more accurate.

Good catch to Siouxrunner on the "three years" as well. Those were the days. All sports. No freshmen on varsity. Mighta been designed to protect scrubs like me but even with no freshmen allowed I could barely make the speech and debate club team.

I thought that he had graduated before he died. As Johnny Prine would say, Terry Casey was in heaven before he died. That #12 will hit the rafters someday. Maybe next year, after we make the room for Championship Banner No. 8.

Terry Casey wore #12, it is retired, I am not sure why it isn't in the rafters.

According to this website, The Legend of Terry Casey

Plentywood is in Montana according to Google maps, over in the northeastern part and not far from the border with North Dakota and if the info on hockeydb.com is right...his career ended in 1967.

I grew up in Montana a couple hours north of Great Falls and went to a lot of high school sporting events in Great Falls. I want to say I remember something about the plaque hanging up next to the gym, but I'm not quite sure on that. Maybe I'm just remembering walking by it and seeing a hockey player. Next time I go back, I'll have to go check it out and try to get a picture if it's still there somewhere. Pretty cool article on Casey though.

THE NUMBER 12 NEEDS TO BE IN THE RAFTERS!!!

• Downvote 1

• 8 months later...

THE NUMBER 12 NEEDS TO BE IN THE RAFTERS!!!

It perhaps may have been already reported here or elsewhere, or it perhaps may not yet be announced, but a little birdie told me last night that there is a big celebration and ceremony planned for Terry Casey Night on the Friday night of the Robert Morris series, January 7. Casey's widow, daughter, and roughly twenty of his classmates, including Gino and Hexy, will be here to hang the #12. Daughter was never held by daddy as she was in the womb when Terry was killed. The Casey family is reported to be thrilled.

This is great news, and should be a grand recognition long overdue. Kudos to everyone at The Ralph who took this bull by its horns and put this night together!

It perhaps may have been already reported here or elsewhere, or it perhaps may not yet be announced, but a little birdie told me last night that there is a big celebration and ceremony planned for Terry Casey Night on the Friday night of the Robert Morris series, January 7. Casey's widow, daughter, and roughly twenty of his classmates, including Gino and Hexy, will be here to hang the #12. Daughter was never held by daddy as she was in the womb when Terry was killed. The Casey family is reported to be thrilled.

This is great news, and should be a grand recognition long overdue. Kudos to everyone at The Ralph who took this bull by its horns and put this night together!

It's about damn time!

Phats and I had breakfast at a Village Inn, Sunday after the Omaha series. Of course we both were wearing Sioux gear. As we were leaving an old timer stopped us. Said he graduated from UND in 1959 and watched hockey from the rafters of the ol' barn. He told us a story that I cannot confirm and suspect has been distorted beyond recognition through time. He said that the '58 freshman played the seniors and blew them out of the water. "They were a bunch of Canadians but so were most of the rest of the team." He also said that freshman team was recruited enmasse by the owner of the North Stars. Hmmmm.....