SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ CC

AZSIOUX

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winning on the road in the WCHA is always a challenge. Double that challenge here what with home ice near on the line, skating the big sheet, and moving to the rarified air of the Colorado foothills.

However, the boys are brimming with confidence, the coaches seem to be on the reigns (not sure, but don't think that there were any stupid penalties in the third period on Saturday), and

The World will have more than a fair share of solid Sioux fans in the seats.

There are twelve, maybe fourteen (third game first round, Final Five play-in), games left in the season. The old one shift, one hit, one save, and one goal at a time mentality is firmly in place. Many of us said it from the start. Detroilet, here we come. Sioux are National Champs in another forty-seven or forty-eight days. While this may be preordained, it will, of course, only come true if the boys continue to skate hard, hit hard, and play hard. Here is saying that they will.

Ford Field will suck far less as a so-called hockey venue once the boys are skating the trophy on April 10.

Should they split this weekend, and then finished tied at the end of the year, what are the tie break criteria beyond head to head and league wins?

If UND gains a split (worst case) this weekend, I'd say they'll get home ice. UND has a much better chance at points vs. MTU than CC does vs. DU.

If UND gains a split (worst case) this weekend, I'd say they'll get home ice. UND has a much better chance at points vs. MTU than CC does vs. DU.

Good point. I wonder how we'd match up on the tie breakers if we split the season? Total Goals?

It's a cliche, but if we play our game we'll be alright wherever we turn up going into the playoffs.

I know it would be a rivalry series with Denver, but it might be possible that Denver could already have clinched the WCHA title, and there will most likely be a letdown after that. I would think we should be able to beat Tech at home, but stranger things have happened with more talented Sioux teams.

Good point. I wonder how we'd match up on the tie breakers if we split the season? Total Goals?

It's a cliche, but if we play our game we'll be alright wherever we turn up going into the playoffs.

I think if we split and tied on total goals in the series, we would have an advantage on total margin of victory for the rest of the WCHA schedule.

Should they split this weekend, and then finished tied at the end of the year, what are the tie break criteria beyond head to head and league wins?

from wcha.com:

a) If two or more teams are tied, head-to-head competition during the regular (conference) season will be used to break the tie

b) If two or more teams are still tied after (a), the highest seed will go to the team with the most WCHA (conference) wins during the regular season

c) If two or more teams played a two or four-game series during the regular season and the teams have the same win-loss records for those series and the same number of WCHA wins, the team having the the least number of goals scored against it in the two or four-game series shall have the higher rank

d) If two or more teams are still tied after applying the provisions of (a), (b) and ©, the team having the greatest 'winning margin' during the regular season will have the higher rank. Winning margin = WCHA goals for during the regular season minus WCHA goals against

e) Games played against WCHA opponents in holiday tournaments will not be counted in the above determinations.

I know it would be a rivalry series with Denver, but it might be possible that Denver could already have clinched the WCHA title, and there will most likely be a letdown after that. I would think we should be able to beat Tech at home, but stranger things have happened with more talented Sioux teams.

IF UND/CC split, I'd be very suprised if UND doesn't have home ice after the WCHA regular season is done. UND is more than capable of sweeping MTU at home and CC sweeping DU is minimal IMO.

For UND and CC the next tiebreaker would be total goals in all league games. UND is currently +21 and CC is +8, so barring some crazy results, UND would have the tiebreaker with a split.

It looks like it would go to league games if they split and both scored the same number of goals in the series.

ideally we want two things to happen this weekend:

1. we sweep cc

2. gophers get 2 points or less at duluth

if these two things happen, then we're guaranteed home ice in the first round of the playoffs no matter what happens when mtu comes to town.

i'd also like to point out that if we do sweep cc this weekend, then the gophers could put themselves in a position to overtake cc the last weekend of the regular season, which would mean we'd play the gophers in the first round of the playoffs.

i know there's a lot of ifs in there, but i don't think those ifs are too far-fetched. umn did just sweep cc easily this past weekend and duluth has been struggling for about a month now.

i'm not sure how i feel about the prospect of playing the gophers in the first round. part of me hates the idea of giving them a chance to beat us since i'd have to hear about it from the fair weather gopher fans that suddenly pop up all over my workplace and social circles any time the gophers are able to muster a win vs the sioux; mind you, these are the same people that could care less about the gophers when they're not winning, so basically, typical gopher fans.

on the other, it would be sweet to have the chance to end the gopher's season in grand forks. i don't know where to begin computing the gophers pairwise potential at this point, but i'd have to think that sweeping duluth and wisconsin would not be enough to get them into the ncaa tourney so they'd have to get through us to extend their season. likely they'll have to win the wcha tourney in order to keep their season alive.

anyways, let's sweep cc this weekend, then go from there.

go sioux!

1. we sweep cc

if these two things happen, then we're guaranteed home ice in the first round of the playoffs no matter what happens when mtu comes to town.

i'd also like to point out that if we do sweep cc this weekend, then the gophers could put themselves in a position to overtake cc the last weekend of the regular season, which would mean we'd play the gophers in the first round of the playoffs.

i know there's a lot of ifs in there, but i don't think those ifs are too far-fetched. umn did just sweep cc easily this past weekend and duluth has been struggling for about a month now.

i'm not sure how i feel about the prospect of playing the gophers in the first round. part of me hates the idea of giving them a chance to beat us since i'd have to hear about it from the fair weather gopher fans that suddenly pop up all over my workplace and social circles any time the gophers are able to muster a win vs the sioux; mind you, these are the same people that could care less about the gophers when they're not winning, so basically, typical gopher fans.

on the other, it would be sweet to have the chance to end the gopher's season in grand forks. i don't know where to begin computing the gophers pairwise potential at this point, but i'd have to think that sweeping duluth and wisconsin would not be enough to get them into the ncaa tourney so they'd have to get through us to extend their season. likely they'll have to win the wcha tourney in order to keep their season alive.

go sioux!

beings our track record in cc isn't the greatest, I'm hoping for a split and will be happy.

1. we sweep cc

go sioux!

If we sweep and Duluth gets swept by the Gophers, we would be in 4th, ahead of Duluth(tied in points but we would win the tie breaker).

If we sweep and Duluth gets swept by the Gophers, we would be in 4th, ahead of Duluth(tied in points but we would win the tie breaker).

true. however, if you read my post closer, you'll see that i assumed the gophers get 2 or less points against duluth, which would still allow them to pass cc the last weekend of the regular season.

unfortunatley I don't think either will happen. however the last time we finished fifth and had to play the play in game we ended up going to the nat. champ game, maybe history will repeat itself.