SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ GOPHERS

AZSIOUX

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blood, fienhage and macwilliam need to continue the hitting and put some gophers on the ice

blood needs to quit taking stupid penalties. on a side note all three of the mavs goals this weekend were a result of not clearing the zone. if we can get that taken care we should be fine. a split this weekend wouldn't kill us, I did the what if calculator and had a sweeping the mavs, duluth and tech and splitting the rest and I got us a fourth place finish.

blood needs to quit taking stupid penalties. on a side note all three of the mavs goals this weekend were a result of not clearing the zone. if we can get that taken care we should be fine. a split this weekend wouldn't kill us, I did the what if calculator and had a sweeping the mavs, duluth and tech and splitting the rest and I got us a fourth place finish.

yeah he needs to tone it down a little, i agree with that but i wouldnt change up much if i were him. i love how hes been hitting! a split is probably the most likely scenerio. just want fridays game first :lol: that what if tool is pretty cool to mess with

win and most importnatly create some seperation in the standings and also a win or 2 could drop them right out of the pairwise where the gophers sit with a pairwisae of 0 at #25

Let's sweep them, then root for them to rally to get into the top 25 of RPI - that would be huge for our TUC % in the Pairwise rankings.

hell yeah a sweep would be huge in so many ways and its possible. just need the same solid defensive play to carry over to the big rink at the ucci. frattin is now in full swing after a couple weeks and kristo gets 5 full days off or 2 days off for the first time in who knows how long. the roster is thin so just 1 back up for each spot now in davidson and hill so stay healthy! 6 game unbeaten streak vs the gophs! keep it rolling

blood needs to quit taking stupid penalties.

Especially the ones when he is leaving the ice for a line change. I know he had 2 of those for sure this past series...possibly 3. The one at the end of last night's 1st period was about as stupid as he has had all year and it cost as the Mavs scored a PP goal!

Especially the ones when he is leaving the ice for a line change. I know he had 2 of those for sure this past series...possibly 3. The one at the end of last night's 1st period was about as stupid as he has had all year and it cost as the Mavs scored a PP goal!

malone also needs to keep his mouth shut with officials as twice in the last month he's taken a 10 minute misconduct.

don't you mean valvano?

Yeah, that's what I meant.

As for Blood and Malone's penalties... I see the point on Blood, but he's done a great job. A few times in previous games, it was just a "teaching game" for WCHA officials to teach Blood a few things. They've called games tight on teams and even individual players in the past just to teach them a lesson. It happened with Matt Greene and Mike Commodore. IIRC it happened to Matt DeMarchi as well.

It doesn't excuse Blood's penalties, but I wouldn't go out of my way to force him to change. IMO, Blood has been right there as one of our best D on the ice.

As for Malone, HE is the problem when it comes to bad penalties.

He's too emotional. He does run his mouth. There is a way to do it (See Hextall, Brett) and there's not a way to do it. He's not been doing it right lately. The penalty he took last night was simply unacceptable. And the 10 minute misconducts he's taken inexcusable.

If it weren't for injuries, I'd bench him one game just to get the message across.

Zajac has done a fantastic job of curbing his emotion and playing a physical, yet effective game. I wonder if something could be done to help Malone change that aspect of his game?

I don't know what set him off last night, he got away with one hit but kept it up until they got him, he just lost it.

Jones rage blackout? :lol:

He's no rookie. He should know that the officials aren't really interested in the initial hit or act, they only care about the retaliation.

By the way, call me absolutely stunned when Youds was called for Hitting after the whistle. I didn't even know that WCHA officials even knew the rule. And yeah, I know that if they did, UND would have gotten called a few times in the past.

How are Sioux fans generally treated in that area around the arena? Is it similar to the Final Five?

I'm guessing if one isn't looking for trouble, they won't get any. There is going to be a massive Sioux presence this weekend at Mariucci.

It comparison to the Final Five, there is 1/10 the drunks, 1/25th the trouble makers.

Jones rage blackout? :(

Jonesie got his undercontrol....too much IMO. I think he would have done better if he still had a bit of an edge left. But, if Malone is going to lose it when someone 'says something to him', the words going to get out and he's gonna spend more time in the box than on the ice.

I'm guessing if one isn't looking for trouble, they won't get any. There is going to be a massive Sioux presence this weekend at Mariucci.

It comparison to the Final Five, there is 1/10 the drunks, 1/25th the trouble makers.

I've found that it doesn't really matter where you go. The more fans of both rival teams mixing together PLUS the consumption of alcohol EQUALS something stupid is bound to happen.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

As for Blood and Malone's penalties... I see the point on Blood, but he's done a great job. A few times in previous games, it was just a "teaching game" for WCHA officials to teach Blood a few things. They've called games tight on teams and even individual players in the past just to teach them a lesson. It happened with Matt Greene and Mike Commodore. IIRC it happened to Matt DeMarchi as well.

It doesn't excuse Blood's penalties, but I wouldn't go out of my way to force him to change. IMO, Blood has been right there as one of our best D on the ice.

As for Malone, HE is the problem when it comes to bad penalties.

He's too emotional. He does run his mouth. There is a way to do it (See Hextall, Brett) and there's not a way to do it. He's not been doing it right lately. The penalty he took last night was simply unacceptable. And the 10 minute misconducts he's taken inexcusable.

If it weren't for injuries, I'd bench him one game just to get the message across.

Zajac has done a fantastic job of curbing his emotion and playing a physical, yet effective game. I wonder if something could be done to help Malone change that aspect of his game?

I'm not sure we should suggest that Malone models his game after Hextall to reduce uneccesary penalties. I think Hextall might need to work on that a little more himself. I think a bit ago he was leading the WCHA in penalty minutes wasn't he?

I was at that sat night game in denver and I think he might have been the straw that cause the refs to go T.U. and basically go psycho on our team with the wistle.

anyway, I think Blood is our best all around defensemen.

As far as malone goes, I would like to offer an opinion about having Kristo on his line with Trupp. First I will say that other that the Kristo slot, I like all of our forward lines that we played last weekend. Very solid.

The thing with Kristo on that line is that it takes the puck away from Trupp who is by far our most dynamic offensive play maker. I think everyone agrees that Kristo is a talent at driving the puck (much like Genoway) and he also puts very good moves on his defender in their zone on the drive to the net and he finds a way to get a quality shot off.

That is all good but what it does for trupp is religate him to a rebound forward and that is not his gig. He needs to have the puck fed to him in the space that he creates.

I think the one weakness in Kristo's game is his vision outside of his space, I don't think his focus is on how his linemates are moving, it is more on how he can create his own space to get a shot. There is nothing really wrong with that. It is just where his skill is and is not and I don't think you want him with Trupp.

Anyone agree?

what's eerie is that these two teams are almost identically flipped from last year heading into the series in january.

Agreed...Cepis has been huge for us since he became eligible a few weeks ago. Our defense has also improved since the series in GF - we haven't been giving up the 40+ shots per night like earlier in the year. Can't wait for Friday! GO GOPHERS!!