SiouxSports.com Forum

State of UND Mens' Basketball

knowledge

I'm just curious what people think the state of the program is? Is the team too young? Is the talent not there? Is it a coaching issue?

Fill me in with you opinions.

from an outside view, i think you guys need more talent and a new offense...mainly talent

I will repeat what I said in another thread. The men have 6 redshirt freshman and 2 sophomores, so it is a young team. They have had a lot of injuries. They have had 9 different players start and used 6 different starting line-ups (that was as of the Iowa State game). It is hard to develop any kind of consistency or any ability to play together when you never get a chance to play together.

The step up to Division I is huge. It would be like the football team going from Division II to BCS level football. Anyone that expected a lot of success this soon was fooling themselves. More success than they are currently having would have been nice. But it isn't really that important if the team can grow through the transition. The goal of the program should be to be competitive within their league and ready to compete for league titles by the time they are done with the transition. Beating other established DI teams would also be part of that scenario.

Some of these young players were considered pretty talented when they were recruited. But it doesn't happen overnight. It will be hard to make a true determination on the abilities and the real potential for this team until the 2nd half of next year. That gives the team time to get healthy, learn to play together and time to mature. If we don't see some major improvements by that time it will probably be time to look for a new coach.

As far as the offense goes, it is actually a good choice for a transitioning team. You can be successful with a Princeton offense without having top end offensive talent. The keys are to be patient, take a lot of time making passes, find open players for higher probability shots and make a good percentage of shots. You also need to play good defense. From what I have seen and heard, the team is often rushing, finding open players for lower probability shots, or turning the ball over, making a low percentage of all shots and not playing good defense. All of them could be symptoms of a young team, that needs to mature, and that hasn't played together a lot. All are correctable with time. We just don't know if this team can be corrected or not. Time will tell.

With a predominantly mid/low/lower-major schedule (like the Summit teams), the move to DI in basketball does not equate to a DII to FBS (BCS conf) move in football (which would be financially impossible by the way). It's not even close in my opinion. Ya, it's a tough move, but not the level you are saying. The hard thing is bringing in talent during the transition when there is no chance of post season play. Most kids would rather get a chance at a championship at some level, either DII or DI.

The recent moves to DI FBS (BCS conf/football obviously) have been schools like UConn who are already DI and had won FCS titles and are well funded compared to other DI FBS counterparts. DII to DI FBS (any conf) would never happen, but would be a sure 0-12 if it did. You would make the move to 85 scholarship in steps, stopping first at the FCS level.

82, very well said. Expectations for some of these young players have not been met. So, you now recruit more talent and if these players dont pick it up, they sit. It takes time to find the right mix of players. Shooting the way these players have shot this year makes for a 2-12 record. It will improve its just a shame so much was put on these red shirts and they are not performing to expectations.

For whatever it's worth, this is sort of a summary of how things went in the last three years Rich Glas coached at UND, and so far under Brian Jones:

2003-04 (Glas)

12-13 vs. dII

2-1 vs. NAIA/dIII

2004-05 (Glas)

18-10 vs. dII

2-0 vs. NAIA/dIII

2005-06 (Glas)

12-13 vs. dII

1-2 vs. NAIA/dIII

2006-07 (Jones)

8-17 vs. dII

3-0 vs. NAIA/dIII

2007-08 (Jones)

11-14 vs. dII

4-0 vs. NAIA/dIII

0-1 vs. dI

2008-09 (Jones)

5-2 vs. dII

6-0 vs. NAIA/dIII

1-6 vs. dI

4-3 vs. transitional dI

2009-10 (Jones)

2-1 vs. NAIA/dIII

0-12 vs. dI

UND92,96, are you telling me you miss Rich.... :)

Not sure how to answer that. I felt strongly that a coaching change was warranted after the 2005-06 season, just as it probably was at the end of the Gunther era, and the end of the Gino era in hockey. However, in retrospect it probably would have made sense to give Rich another year or two, and then make a change to a younger coach once the job was a bit more attractive to prospective applicants. Just my opinion. I doubt Rich would be doing considerably better at UND right now than Jones is doing, but he almost certainly wouldn't be doing any worse, either.

The Massey ratings now include 1337 basketball-playing schools in the US and Canada: http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cb

Here's how some former NCC, current NSIC and local NAIA/dIII teams rank:

78 Northern Colorado

91 MSU-Mankato

113 Nebraska-Omaha

182 St. Cloud St.

214 Augustanta

234 SDSU

254 Winona St.

273 Mary

313 SW MN St.

323 USD

345 NDSU

463 Concordia (Moorhead)

511 Upper Iowa

565 Minot

587 Concordia-St. Paul

656 MSU-Moorhead

665 Northern St.

702 Bemidji

712 Jamestown

724 Morningside

755 UMD

812 Valley City

818 Mayville

859 UND

869 Dickinson

942 UMC

The Massey ratings now include 1337 basketball-playing schools in the US and Canada: http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cb

UND is at 859, below such schools as Mary (coached by Randall Herbst--a very respectable number 273), Concordia (coached by Rich Glas--number 463), Mayville St. (not a big surprise there), Valley City St., Jamestown, Bemidji St., Black Hills St., Minot St., Upper Iowa and Dakota Wesleyan.

Hey, but the Sioux are ahead of UM-Crookston (942). :lol:

I'm sure Faison is getting an earful.

78 Northern Colorado

91 MSU-Mankato

113 Nebraska-Omaha

182 St. Cloud St.

214 Augustanta

234 SDSU

254 Winona St.

273 Mary

313 SW MN St.

323 USD

345 NDSU

463 Concordia (Moorhead)

511 Upper Iowa

565 Minot

587 Concordia-St. Paul

656 MSU-Moorhead

665 Northern St.

702 Bemidji

712 Jamestown

724 Morningside

755 UMD

812 Valley City

818 Mayville

859 UND

869 Dickinson

942 UMC

Ouch!!! That hurts.

78 Northern Colorado

91 MSU-Mankato

113 Nebraska-Omaha

182 St. Cloud St.

214 Augustanta

234 SDSU

254 Winona St.

273 Mary

313 SW MN St.

323 USD

345 NDSU

463 Concordia (Moorhead)

511 Upper Iowa

565 Minot

587 Concordia-St. Paul

656 MSU-Moorhead

665 Northern St.

702 Bemidji

712 Jamestown

724 Morningside

755 UMD

812 Valley City

818 Mayville

859 UND

869 Dickinson

942 UMC

Who coaches the team I bolded. :lol:

And don't forget about UMary. Who would have thought?

Put zero value in these rankings. Impossible to determine that NAIA and Div II teams are better than any Div 1 team. Even someone as bad as we are we would beat these teams on most nights.

My question is how long does Faison put up with this??

I hope not longer than this season...

I wonder if a guy would emailed faison and told him some concern or even jones if they woudl email back or jsu the delete button right away?

Try it see what happens. I don't know if I would just pile on Jones, I would approach it as a concern for the program in general.

Put zero value in these rankings. Impossible to determine that NAIA and Div II teams are better than any Div 1 team. Even someone as bad as we are we would beat these teams on most nights.

My question is how long does Faison put up with this??

I hope not longer than this season...

Why do you want Jones fired? Would think you'd want Jones to remain as the Sioux coach for as long as possible, beings you're a Bison fan and all. :lol:

Try it see what happens. I don't know if I would just pile on Jones, I would approach it as a concern for the program in general.

This is maybe how i would write it

Subject: Concerend Fan

Coach Jones, as an alumni and season ticket holder for the past 8 years, I would like to share my concerns along with other peoples as well.

I know this is supposedly as you said the hardest year of transistion but I am concerned with the lack of success. Scoring 11 points in a half of basketball is totally unacceptable. Losing to mayville state as a fully funded d-1 team is unacceptable.

Now I know we hire you to coach the team and don't expect you to quit your styles, but maybe if i suggest making some defensive adjustments when teams are hot from three point land to maybe a man to man instead of the 3-2 zone

Now for the offense, most teams by watching film will know we run the princeton offense so they will be ready. If maybe you would think abotu switching it up every once and a while and run a play or two to keep defenses on their toes we might be able to score mroe points.

I don't really expect a email back but if you would it would be greatful to share some of your knowledge with me. Thank you

how does that look? changes?

78 Northern Colorado

91 MSU-Mankato

113 Nebraska-Omaha

182 St. Cloud St.

214 Augustanta

234 SDSU

254 Winona St.

273 Mary

313 SW MN St.

323 USD

345 NDSU

463 Concordia (Moorhead)

511 Upper Iowa

565 Minot

587 Concordia-St. Paul

656 MSU-Moorhead

665 Northern St.

702 Bemidji

712 Jamestown

724 Morningside

755 UMD

812 Valley City

818 Mayville

859 UND

869 Dickinson

942 UMC

Ahh Crookston is still below us so we are still in good shape. :lol:

Here is my biggest problem. Jones has showed that the Princeton offense can work. Last year we played Texas A&M fairly close and after the game the A&M coaches said it wasn't a great game for them as our offense didn't suit their usual gameplan. Thats what the princeton is supposed to do. Neutralize talent gaps. And last year it did a decent job of it (close against A&M, win against UMKC, etc.). However, the offense this year is not the princeton. I have no idea what it is, but there is no excuse for scoring 11 points in a half, etc. Let them play a run and gun and I'll guarantee they break 20 in the first half at least. I just can not understand why this team looks so bad this year when they looked semi-decent last year.

With everyone on this team almost being some sort of wing or guard , some sort of a motion offense with alot of picks and screens would seem to work. The offense is just so bad.

The Princeton offense is a motion offense with a lot of picks and screens. This is a good description of the original Princeton offense. Everyone that runs the offense makes their own adjustments. Right now the players aren't making the shots needed to make the offense work.