SiouxSports.com Forum

Zach Parise

sioux fan in phoenix

He mentioned that the only downside to the whole game was a young defensemen, no names mentioned, who took a too many men penalty toward the end of the game. I couldn't find a box score that listed penalties, but I believe he was talking about Smaby.

Nope.

Too many men is a protocol violation. ;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought at first that he was talking about Greene, especially when he referred to the player as a Commodore type, but then DB started talking about Smaby and Stafford right away so it wasn't real clear.

Evidently, he was referring to Greene's protocol violation and will be keeping MG on a shorter leash this year.

I wasn't at the Sioux Boosters meeting in Fargo, but I'm not sure what Blais meant by a young defenseman taking a "too many men" penalty.

According to my notes from the game, the penalty on Matt Greene at 13:26 of the third period was for playing without a helmet.

The playing without the helmet violation was dumb. His helmet came off, so Greene picked it up like he was going to put it back on. He tried but couldn't seem to do that and keep an eye on play, so instead he decided not to put the team, who was ahead 6 or 7-0 in an exhibition game, at risk and threw the helmet down and continued to play. Mason was watching the whole time. Stupid. Then he acted like he didn't know he was going to get a penalty. He puts his team on a penalty kill and Concordia scores almost right away

The too many men on the ice thing I'm not so sure about. The play was on my right side, and I heard someone's stick hitting the ice in front of the Sioux bench. When I look over Greene was on the ice like he fell, and he was scrambling back to the bench. Hakstol didn't look happy. Not too sure what happened there.

I apologize for creating confusion. I simply recapped what DB said. He didn't have a lot of time to talk, but was able to touch on many different items.

After reviewing the boxscore it would appear though that he was talking about Greene and he did say too many men, but may have meant playing without a helmet. Bottom line and the point of what he was saying is he is not going to tolerate stupid penalties this season be it too many men or playing without a helmet.

I saw the Herald article this morning and it got me to wondering. Yesterday Blais seemed to indicate that Parise wouldn't play against BC. Today, Parise says he plans to play. I'm thinking that if there's a debate, the coach wins in this case.

Was anyone else surprised that Parise hasn't had an MRI on his knee?

I was surprised too! But maybe it would have conflicted with his class schedule. We all know that everything UND shuts down at 4 ;)

I am really hoping that this is all a publicity stunt, that Zach is really sitting the games out and just not letting on, so that BC still plans to face him and that the fans don't get put off and come to the game already out of it.

I saw the Herald article this morning and it got me to wondering. Yesterday Blais seemed to indicate that Parise wouldn't play against BC. Today, Parise says he plans to play. I'm thinking that if there's a debate, the coach wins in this case.

Was anyone else surprised that Parise hasn't had an MRI on his knee?

I talked with Dean in the hall after Sioux Boosters yesterday, and he said that Zach Parise had a strained MCL, not a tear, and that Zach really wanted to play. Dean then said that he may let him play, but it depends on how Zach's knee feels on Thursday or Friday.

I would hope that Zach's desire to play BC, epecially with the Eaves brothers on a line, doesn't obscure good common sense. As with most top-tier athletes, if his body "tells" him he can play, he probably will, at least a few shifts to test it out.

Then again, maybe Blais is just trying to keep everybody, including a few BC lurkers (Hi, there, :( ), guessing until game time. Nah, he'd never do that ... ;)

I would hope that Zach's desire to play BC, epecially with the Eaves brothers on a line, doesn't obscure good common sense. As with most top-tier athletes, if his body "tells" him he can play, he probably will, at least a few shifts to test it out.

Then again, maybe Blais is just trying to keep everybody, including a few BC lurkers (Hi, there, :) ), guessing until game time. Nah, he'd never do that ... ;)

I would think that if there is any chance of further injury Blais will sit Parise. Also, if Parise thinks he can be useful even with the injury he will probably play, granted Blais let's him. Of course this is just speculation on my part. :(

When I look over Greene was on the ice like he fell, and he was scrambling back to the bench. Hakstol didn't look happy. Not too sure what happened there.

The reason why Greene was on the ice was because he was skating to the bench and Matt Jones was coming off the bench and they both ran right into eachother.

The reason why Greene was on the ice was because he was skating to the bench and Matt Jones was coming off the bench and they both ran right into eachother.

Thanks. I just saw what happened afterward. That certainly wasn't the first time two players from the same team ran into each other so far this season. ;)