SiouxSports.com Forum

Fixing What's Broken

The Sicatoka

The blatent problems with lack of control and willingness to do their jobs by officials is getting more and more notice in this league.

Virg Foss spent some ink on the issue recently.

Hockey is a physically rugged, and at times, dangerous sport. Players, coaches, fans, we all know that. Perhaps that

The WCHA has officials so incompetent they can't call a game correctly. I can go and watch any WCHA or CHA game (they use WCHA officials) and I can make a list of calls that should have been made

We have officials not penalizing the right person (Adam and Anderson), we have officials not watching the puck (Campion and Mason), we have officials not seeing potential career ending hits (Don Adam x2). We have officials reffing their former Schools games (Mason).

We have officials that every time they ref a game they have a line brawl erupt (Anderson).

We have league officials that can hand out the proper punishment after an ugly incident. We have league commissioner basically state that you have to basically kill someone to pass the one game suspension threshold.

The WCHA has officials so incompetent they can't call a game correctly. I can go and watch any WCHA or CHA game (they use WCHA officials) and I can make a list of calls that should have been made

We have officials not penalizing the right person (Adam and Anderson), we have officials not watching the puck (Campion and Mason), we have officials not seeing potential career ending hits (Don Adam x2). We have officials reffing their former Schools games (Mason).

We have officials that every time they ref a game they have a line brawl erupt (Anderson).

We have league officials that can hand out the proper punishment after an ugly incident. We have league commissioner basically state that you have to basically kill someone to pass the one game suspension threshold.

Actually he said he had never given out more than a 1 game suspension so he didn't know what it would take to give more than that.

Or maybe everyone could just begin to accept it as what it is since there's no logical reason to think anything will change in the foreseeable future.

That is a B.S. answer the fans and teams deserve better, we hear the coaches say the refing needs to change so it's time for that change. The Status Quo is going to get someone killed. For example Don Adam or Todd Anderson are just an incident away from putting someone in a wheel chair for life for their incompetence on the ice. I find it ironic that he has been on the ice for two major incident involving UND. I think the Fans needs to start contacting the athletic departments and faculty reps.

Actually he said he had never given out more than a 1 game suspension so he didn't know what it would take to give more than that.

I am not sure that is true because the kid from Wisconsin was suspended two games for injuring the MSU-M player.

That is a B.S. answer the fans and teams deserve better, we hear the coaches say the refing needs to change so it's time for that change. The Status Quo is going to get someone killed. For example Don Adam or Todd Anderson are just an incident away from putting someone in a wheel chair for life for their incompetence on the ice. I find it ironic that he has been on the ice for two major incident involving UND. I think the Fans needs to start contacting the athletic departments and faculty reps.

I don't feel like it's a B.S. answer at all. It's the sad truth. How long have the fans and coaches been clamoring for change? How many times has the league office said they were going to change, only to go back to their old ways? It's truly a lost cause until there are some serious changes at the top.

I don't feel like it's a B.S. answer at all. It's the sad truth.

No, it's both a BS answer and the sad reality of today.

And ScottM nailed it:

They've learned nothing from Bina, LaPoint (twice, concussion and slew foot), and now Genoway.

I hope I'm not there the day that Travis Roy seems minor and instead they need a body bag.

That was probably a school suspension. When the Commish was on with Tim I'm sure he said that he had never given out more than 1 game.

I stand corrected, there was a game disqualification and a coach imposed suspension as well. All I remembered was that he sat out a whole game series one time. [INCH]

Wisconsin freshman forward Craig Smith will miss the series after getting hit with a checking-from-behind major penalty and a game disqualification at Minnesota State last weekend -- coach Mike Eaves tacked on an extra game suspension in addition to the automatic DQ.

Is reffing for the WCHA (or college hockey in general) supposed to be:

1) a gateway to reffing for the NHL

2) a very good achievement/accomplishment - respected way to highlight/end your career as a ref

3) seen as a purgatory - not a full-time career goal/not the final place to end a reffing career

2) a very good achievement/accomplishment - respected way to highlight/end your career as a ref

3) seen as a purgatory - not a full-time career goal/not the final place to end a reffing career

I'd like to see the WCHA be the same for officials as it is for players:

The best and brightest move on to the professional ranks.

The others, after four or five years, move on to life after hockey and other careers.

Most officials in college sports of all kinds do it as a part time job and a way to stay in touch with the sport they love at a high level. They often start by officiating at the high school level and then move up to the college level. And most of them stay at the college level for as long as they continue as officials.

I am not sure about th career track for NHL officials, but would suspect that it is similar to baseball. In baseball umpires start at the lowest level of minor league baseball and work their way up by performance. Only the best officials move up to the Major Leagues, and only a few spots open up each year because officials often last for many years (sometimes too long). In basketball and football they often go from the college ranks to the pros. But even in those sports, most officials reach the college level and stay there. So my guess is that #2 is closest to the answer for most officials, but there are probably individuals that would fit into either #1 or 3.