SiouxSports.com Forum

USD-NDSU before UND-NDSU?

Matt

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There may be some truth to this, I don't know. But, I really don't think NDSU would enter a 4-game contract w/ USD though, especially playing 2 in Vermillion.

It probably won't be for a few years anyways.

I'd like to see UND start playing some MVFC teams as well. It doesn't have to be NDSU right away. Aside from the top 3 in the MVFC, the rest of the conference seems pretty mediocre this yr. UND could definitely compete against any of them. Whats stopping us from getting future games against the SDSU Bunnies & renewing that series?

The Dakota 4 should be playing every year and there should be a traveling trophy that goes to the winner between the 4 schools every year.

The REAL Dakota marker, or something like that.

I like the idea of all 4 playing each other... Great rivalries, bordering states, all similiar universities. Plus, short travel (helps w/ expenses)& can generate a lot of regional insterest. Hopefully this can all happen in a few years if UND & USD can get into the MVFC eventually. Or even playing non-conf games between the 4.

Obviously, playing for the Nickel is very important. Seems like the Dakota Marker trophy has also helped increase the rivalry between the SU's. UND & USD played for the Sitting Bull trophy until 1999, when it was retired for PC reasons. I'd like to see a new trophy started for the SIoux-Yotes game.

I'm not sure a traveling trophy between the 4 is too feasible, but if it could happen I'm all for it... anything to get these rivalries renewed again.

I like the idea of all 4 playing each other... Great rivalries, bordering states, all similiar universities. Plus, short travel (helps w/ expenses)& can generate a lot of regional insterest. Hopefully this can all happen in a few years if UND & USD can get into the MVFC eventually. Or even playing non-conf games between the 4.

Obviously, playing for the Nickel is very important. Seems like the Dakota Marker trophy has also helped increase the rivalry between the SU's. UND & USD played for the Sitting Bull trophy until 1999, when it was retired for PC reasons. I'd like to see a new trophy started for the SIoux-Yotes game.

I'm not sure a traveling trophy between the 4 is too feasible, but if it could happen I'm all for it... anything to get these rivalries renewed again.

And the fact that it makes too much sense for them not to play.

Yes it makes too much sense for the schools not to play. Obviously when UND and USD are added to the MVFC, it will happen.

And it sounds like Ill State could be leaving the MVFC sooner rather than later.

Will your schedule you're talking smack?;)?

Sagarin has UND's strength of schedule ranked higher than NDSU's. And according to the Massey rankings, five of UND's seven non-conference opponents are ranked higher than NDSU. Southern Oregon was a cupcake, and Northwestern State turned out to be far worse than anybody could have predicted, but in reality UND's schedule was a pretty difficult one, particularly if one looks past Sioux Falls' NAIA label (they're ranked 92nd in the country by Massey).

Sagarin has UND's strength of schedule ranked higher than NDSU's. And according to the Massey rankings, five of UND's seven non-conference opponents are ranked higher than NDSU. Southern Oregon was a cupcake, and Northwestern State turned out to be far worse than anybody could have predicted, but in reality UND's schedule was a pretty difficult one, particularly if one looks past Sioux Falls' NAIA label (they're ranked 92nd in the country by Massey).

Keep telling yourself that. ;)

If you like to base your reasoning on the hypothetical probabilities of computer rankings so be it.

I believe this is how the FCS picks the playoff field, by using computer rankings as part of the Gridiron Power Index. So yes I do like to follow it!

Oh, and your three wins this year were ranked accordingly in the Gridiron Power Index (out of 125 teams):

Wagner: 92

Western Illinois: 84

Indiana State: 105

;)

Edit: Where were you all season Dan? You were awfully quiet around here.

I believe this is how the FCS picks the playoff field, by using computer rankings as part of the Gridiron Power Index. So yes I do like to follow it!

Oh, and your three wins this year were ranked accordingly in the Gridiron Power Index (out of 125 teams):

Wagner: 92

Western Illinois: 84

Indiana State: 105

;)

Edit: Where were you all season Dan? You were awfully quiet around here.

The GPI is an unofficial number computed by the guys at CollegeSportingNews.com. It's not like the RPIs that are released by the NCAA and are officially used to help select teams for other playoffs. While the GPI might be a factor in selections, it's a totally unofficial one and there's no way to know how big a role it plays.

Not taking sides in the NDSU/UND debate going on, just correcting the bit of misinformation.

The GPI is an unofficial number computed by the guys at CollegeSportingNews.com. It's not like the RPIs that are released by the NCAA and are officially used to help select teams for other playoffs. While the GPI might be a factor in selections, it's a totally unofficial one and there's no way to know how big a role it plays.

Not taking sides in the NDSU/UND debate going on, just correcting the bit of misinformation.

Let the record show that Hammer is for the return of the NDSU-UND series.

I suppose it's easier for Taylor to sell the fanbase on USD because there is less animosity toward USD than UND. But doing so would effectively negate every stated reason for why he supposedly can't schedule UND. It would also delay having to schedule UND for another four years because if they schedule USD then there surely wouldn't be any room for UND.

I suppose it's easier for Taylor to sell the fanbase on USD because there is less animosity toward USD than UND. But doing so would effectively negate every stated reason for why he supposedly can't schedule UND. It would also delay having to schedule UND for another four years because if they schedule USD then there surely wouldn't be any room for UND.

By 4 years it's not going to matter. Illinois State will be in the MAC and the MVFC will have no choice but to add UND and USD.

Let the record show that Hammer is for the return of the NDSU-UND series.

Huh? Where did you get that from? The debate I got in the middle of was UND/NDSU strength of schedule. Since I think they're both playing awful football at the moment, I don't think the answer to that debate means anything. As for the return of the NDSU/UND series, I'm still against it unless FCS goes to a 12-game season or the games are scheduled so the GF games come on years with 12 games; preferably the former. I don't want 9 out of 11 games to be the same opponents every year.

Huh? Where did you get that from? The debate I got in the middle of was UND/NDSU strength of schedule. Since I think they're both playing awful football at the moment, I don't think the answer to that debate means anything. As for the return of the NDSU/UND series, I'm still against it unless FCS goes to a 12-game season or the games are scheduled so the GF games come on years with 12 games; preferably the former. I don't want 9 out of 11 games to be the same opponents every year.

It seemed to work out O.K. in the old NCC, but to each his own I guess. Personally, I'd love for UND to have nine of the same opponents every year rather than the situation we're in now.