SiouxSports.com Forum

10/04: Bulldogs at Sioux

sioux fan in phoenix

My 2 cents.

After Jones whiffed on the puck and a UMD player did pretty much the same thing in that end a few minutes later in the first period, I was wondering if the puck was freezing to the ice a bit. First game of the season, the ice may not be perfect yet.

I saw the fight in person and later watched the replay on tv. I think it was a little more evenly contested than most Sioux fans are willing to admit. Prpich ended up taking his man down to the ice at the end and he may have had a slight advantage, but you could tell they were both dog tired at the end of the fight. It was only a matter of time before one of them fell. Doesn't mean it wasn't awsome to watch though! :)

I've always considered the Sioux to be a decently fast team, but they looked absolutely slow out there at times compared to Duluth. I guess when Spiewak and Notermann left, they took a lot of the speed with them. Goaltending and team speed are definitely Duluth's strong points.

J. Parise came up with some pretty great saves himself, though. After he made a nice looking toe save on the 2-0, I was thinking there goes Brandt's starting position.

Great game to start out the season!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to turn this into a hugfest, but I appreciate your input & updates throughout the game, UMDDogz. It'll be interesting to see how these 2 teams match up when they meet later in the season: they'll be more fluid, conditioned & less likely to make errors. Reichmuth is definitely a gem & is gonna take you places this year; with Mankato & St. Cloud depleted, you guys have a legitimate & likely shot at 3rd, I think.

Thanks PhoenixFan!! Although the game did not have the result I was hoping for, and dataflix screwed the pooch on the streaming feed, it was still a very enjoyable battle. Looking forward to seeing the teams square off again Dec. 12-13 up at the Ralph! For now...the Dogs have a very difficult schedule, playing BC, Michigan State (or Findlay, depending upon tournament results), then Minnesota at Mariucci, before finally getting Anchorage at the DECC. At least there will be no doubts about our schedule strenght this year! Sounds like the Sioux have a fiarly strong NC schedule as well. Good luck to both teams!! Hope to see them both end up near the top!

BTW, it looked like Stafford's goal (on the webcast, which was finally working for this goal) went just wide of Reichmuth's skate, rather than through the 5 hole.

Stafford said after the game that his shot went through the 5-hole. Reichmuth said: "It was a quick one-timer from the slot. It beat me through my legs."

I couldn't tell for sure on the replays I saw, which is why I asked the players. When the shooter and the goalie agree, I tend to go with what they say.

Stafford said after the game that his shot went through the 5-hole. Reichmuth said: "It was a quick one-timer from the slot. It beat me through my legs."

I couldn't tell for sure on the replays I saw, which is why I asked the players. When the shooter and the goalie agree, I tend to go with what they say.

In the replay on dataflix (shown after the game, I think when they were interviewing Stafford) which was from straight above the goal, it looked pretty conclusively like it went 5-hole. From all the other angles I thought it went to Reichmuth's right, but by far the best view was from above the goal.

The Duluth announcers made it seem like it was Peluso who landed most of the punches (but, of course they would).

Not unlike the Wisco announcer, Johanson I believe, saying that Alex Brooks took it to Commodore back in 98-99; a laughable and ridiculous statement!

Prpich clearly didn't destroy Peluso like Commodore did Brooks, however, after watching the replay Prpich definitely landed more quality shots, stayed on his skates and was the victor even though it was a pretty even fight!

Brad Berry said that he was looking for someone to step forward with some rough stuff and show the Dogs that UND means business this year.

My impressions I have already said but to recap:

Fabian, Foyt, Marvin: Either didn't play or I didn't notice them

Murray: Hard worker, fast, always in the thick of it, fearless it seems. He seriously looks like a future leader for the Sioux.

Porter: Nothing really offensively although he may have gotten an assist... He did seem to go around trying to pick fights.

Smaby: Freaking HUGE! :) Hard some good hits. POOR stickhandler. He lost the puck unpressured right in front of J Parise at one point. We recovered, but that's dangerous.

Saw a lot of McMahon's and Parise's line. Didn't see much Fylling's line.

I have ten thousand comments on the game, and on these comments, but no time right now. I can't believe some of the stuff I've read here. Great game by a lot of players; I'm still optimistic about the season, as the ingredients are all there to be very good.

Regarding the NCAA rule "Mad Man" showed us: It says DQs are called regardless of the type of game, but says nothing specific about how they are to be served. It makes sense that if they can call a DQ during a meaningless exhibition game (ala Schneider 2 years ago), that a player can sit out during a meaningless exhibition game (Prpich last night).

Wouldn't make sense (to me) if Prpich is allowed to play against Concordia. That's like saying...we're playing 2 exhibition games back-2-back, our player gets a DQ the first night, is allowed to play the following night, but has to sit out the next reg. season game. Paging Johnny Cochran...

Just got back to the Twin Cities after the road trip north. It was a great game and win. Here are my three cents, for what they are worth . . . .

1. The size of the crowd, only 10,300, surprised me. I expected a better turnout for the opener. The weather certainly didn't keep anyone away. Maybe there were a few thousand still celebrating the footballer's improbable rally and win over St. Cloud State.

2. The throwback jerseys were real cool. I suspect that they were worn only for this game. It is the style of jersey worn by the Hall of Fame inductee, Mike "Lefty" Curran, a Sioux goalie from the mid-60's.

3. Curran and his son dropped the puck. He deserved a much more rousing ovation. Sadly, many in the building probably had little or no clue of his career. Nonetheless, he is a fine representative of Sioux tradition.

4. Notice the "polar bear" mascot skating around in the throwback jersey, and in the crowd. This really concerns me. Perhaps a subtle way to introduce the new mascot, and name?? :D:)

5. Sioux look pretty strong to me. Goals from three lines. They were all particularly impressive in cycling the puck back down toward, and behind, the net in even strength situations. They often looked like they could have been on the powerplay.

6. Duluth has a pretty damned good team, and a heck of a goaltender, helped by the pipe. The score could have easily been 5, or 6, to 2.

7. The fight was a classic. Had a good view. Paluso got his arse kicked. Next time, he should not be so quick to take his mask and helmet off, drop his gloves, and invite some guy to clean his clock.

8. Jordan Parise was admittedly a shade shakey out of the chute, but settled down well. It would be real cool if he solidified into the No. 1 slot, and give Jake some more time to concentrate on his community service.

9. My eleven-year old daughter remains a huge Brandon Bochenski fan.

10. Will the Sioux regular jerseys have the "23" tribute to Ralph again this year?

Later.

The BC series should be a great one. The season should be a memorable one.

Miscellaneous observations:

The line of McMahon - Stafford - Prpich, while they got to play together, was easily the most dominant line for either team. Long stretches of cycling below the dots. Great chemistry; could be mistaken for 3 guys that have played together for years not weeks.

Stafford is the real deal. I was thinking "Goren" at the game, and today's Herald quotes Blais as saying he's like Goren only perhaps a better skater (!)

Fylling looked stronger. Still fast, still good hands. Hoping he can make more plays this year.

After Prpich got the heave ho, several guys played with Stafford-McMahon, but Fylling fit well.

The 4th line of Massen-Hale-Genoway looked solid. Their play, especially on the road, will be key to getting the high scorers some rest.

Lundbohm-Fylling-Porter had their moments, both up and down. Porter with some typical rookie mistakes.

Parise - Bochenski - Murray. Horrendous first period, multiple situations where the Dogs created 3x2 the other way because all 3 guys were caught deep. And where they missed a scoring chance. Frustrating second period, when the Dogs were trying to muscle them - Bochenski with a double minor for roughing after pulling a guy off Zach. Excellent third period, multiple chances. All in all, a good start.

Murray - fast, good anticipation, reads plays well. I can see why Blais is predicting big numbers for that line.

Jones, Greene, Schneider, Fuher - solid as a rock. if anything, better than last year. Schneider with a great 'save' in the first period (drew a penalty but saved a goal).

Smaby - a project. Has the raw material, just needs to get used to the speed of the game. He wasn't the only guy to have problems with the puck on wet ice - the first 5 minutes of the second period, especially.

PK: Liked seeing Prpich, McMahon, Hale, Fylling on the PK. McMahon is a stud on faceoffs, which can help take pressure off the goaltender.

PP: This was definitely a new look - "first day with your new power play?" Too early to assess, but the results last night were horrifying. Duluth did a nice job on the PK, but we were horrible. Duluth had 5 shots on Sioux PP, and we had only 8.

Good news is least there's a couple weeks of practice before BC comes to town.

Faceoffs - 45 won, 25 lost. Outstanding. Zach, McMahon, Lundbohm all over 70%. This bodes well for the future.

All in all, a good start.

8. Jordan Parise was admittedly a shade shakey out of the chute, but settled down well. It would be real cool if he solidified into the No. 1 slot, and give Jake some more time to concentrate on his community service.

TFF. :)

I had fun in Grand Forks. Great game between two pretty closely matched teams. Should be a fun season.

See you in December at the Ralph.

Just got back to the Twin Cities after the road trip north. It was a great game and win. Here are my three cents, for what they are worth . . . .

2. The throwback jerseys were real cool. I suspect that they were worn only for this game. It is the style of jersey worn by the Hall of Fame inductee, Mike "Lefty" Curran, a Sioux goalie from the mid-60's.

4. Notice the "polar bear" mascot skating around in the throwback jersey, and in the crowd. This really concerns me. Perhaps a subtle way to introduce the new mascot, and name?? :D:)

The BC series should be a great one. The season should be a memorable one.

Was that a polar bear mascot? It looked like Stuart Little ... Whoever decided to make a rodent into a Sioux mascot ... grrrr.

The throwback jerseys were fine on the front. If they would just add numbers on the sleeves/shoulders we could tell the name of the truck ...

Bring on the Beagles!

He didn't "work him like a clown" until Peluso lost his skates. Until then it was pretty even IMO. Despite the decided size advantage for Prpich.

Peluso 5-10 160

Prpich 6-0 180

I'll agree that Prpich won, how can I not, but it was not a massacre.

Well, if you insist...

sunny02.jpg

Awwwww he's so cute! Your dog, PCM?

Obviously these aren't the dogs we're going to pound. They are the Terriers no? Little rat dogs...... HEY! Maybe they can take care of that skating rodent we have with the green sweater on! Oh.. wait... that's a Polar Bear.

And FYI, the Polar Bear wasn't wearing a throwback Jersey. He was wearing a kelly green sweater saying "UND" on it.

Maybe paying for that suit is why our tickets went up a buck each! :)

Polar Bear mascots on hockey rinks: The only time high sticking isn't a penalty :D

If they had only listened and had him running around the stands instead of on the ice.

Awwwww he's so cute! Your dog, PCM?

Obviously these aren't the dogs we're going to pound. They are the Terriers no? Little rat dogs...... HEY! Maybe they can take care of that skating rodent we have with the green sweater on! Oh.. wait... that's a Polar Bear.

And FYI, the Polar Bear wasn't wearing a throwback Jersey. He was wearing a kelly green sweater saying "UND" on it.

Maybe paying for that suit is why our tickets went up a buck each! :)

Polar Bear mascots on hockey rinks: The only time high sticking isn't a penalty :D

If they had only listened and had him running around the stands instead of on the ice.

Not dogs at all. You're thinking of BU, we will be playing BC (Eagles).