SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Mascot issue!

Riverman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Blunder" was actually "Thunder the Bleacher Creature". He(?) was sponsored by the Letterwinner's Club in the late 80s or so. Anyway, he was a big, stinking green ape with a tongue hanging out that just invited a good yank when he ran around old REA. (Damn costume smelled worse than a hockey bag at the end of the season ... :D ) Anyway, his emergence started a huge uproar over the Sioux name and logo, and I believe it directly led to the removal of the original Blackhawk logo in favor of "North Dakota" ... later replaced by the geometric design. A big push to change it came during the summer of '89 or '90 when most of the students were away. Terry Wanless, then AD, favored changing the name which created some serious friction with Ralph Engelstad and other alums and basically polarized the two sides to where we sit today.

Thus endeth the story, or what I remember of it. :( Others, if your recollections are more clear, feel free to chime in.

• 10 months later...

I know I am pulling up an old post but the other day before the football game against Central Washington I heard some of the athletic department people talking about how they still have the bleacher creature costume sitting around somewhere. THey were talking about how stinky it was and the fact that they usually jut wore the head with a jersey and some green Zubas!!!

Anyone have any pics of this?

PS I am going to be the one who brings back zubas!!!

I know I am pulling up an old post but the other day before the football game against Central Washington I heard some of the athletic department people talking about how they still have the bleacher creature costume sitting around somewhere. THey were talking about how stinky it was and the fact that they usually jut wore the head with a jersey and some green Zubas!!!

Anyone have any pics of this?

PS I am going to be the one who brings back zubas!!!

Thunder the Bleacher Creature. That thing was a hideous costume. I think they ought to bring it out.

I hope this is a joke. A polar bear? This is about as gay as it gets. Some overweight, white-colored Barney prancing around will really be good for the team's image. Some Sioux students should kidnap him during intermission & beat him mercilessly. No more mascot. Problem solved :D

Seriously, bad idea.

Hey, I live in Larimore ND and our school mascot is a Polar bear. It is a great mascot but our name is larimore polar bears so it fits a little better. I know in arizona you never think of polar bears but its common up here.

Hey, the Sioux hockey team probably ticked off the folks who are opposed to the Sioux nickname when the team went to their "gangsta colorz" a few years ago...hopefully the Black uni's have gained us an even better bad boy image!

Incidentally, if you ever read the WCHA hockey yearbooks and/or the WCHA.com yearly summaries where players of opposing teams have to rate other teams logo's, uniforms, favorite arenas to play, best fans, etc. North Dakota is typically among the leaders. In fact, when I attended CC, the CC hockey players would tell me that they didn't understand all the hub bub about the logo-they thought UND's jerseys and nickname were cool.