SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Mascot issue!

Riverman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do we need an f'ing mascot? I can see the PC nazis getting in a lather over this, regardless of the animal. (Indian=Animal) Christ, that's the same logic they used with Blunder the Bleacher Creature. Whomever thought this is a good idea should be beaten bloody with a hockey stick. :0:D

So you've already seen him then? :angry:

No, but I can only imagine :D

They'll probably hire some hyperactive guy who'll be bouncing around like a nervous ball of energy, shaming the school & its proud tradition. :0 I'm thinking they're doing this to entertain the kiddies during intermission. This will sure instill fear in our opponents: a big fat cuddly polar bear..oooooh.

Man, jaded crowd! Cut the bear some slack.

Though he didn't do much last night, I liked the idea of the polar bear. Why not reserve judgment until we see how it plays out. Wonder if he'll skate?

I doubt the marketing people at the Ralph were aiming to impress 20-year-old college kids or rile up Mackenzie or else they would have brought in Spoonie Love [gratuitous "Crank Yankers" reference]. I'm sure, like everything else, it's all about the Benjamins. Since he's going to be the arena's mascot and not the hockey team's, he needs to have broader appeal for marketing purposes. The bear will be considered a success if kids embrace him and adults tolerate him.

How about the Randall Simon incident with the sausage races?

Polar Bear running around and gets thwacked with a hockey stick :angry:

Seriously though, if it doesn't represent the Sioux, who cares? Stupid mascot, yay. If anything, it's a cute furry creature meant to distract the fans with loose wallets while the concessions people pillage and loot.

Actually, I'm not so sure how successful it will be if it ventures into the student section. My bet is that, during the regular season, it won't venture too far into the student section. It's not the mascot's audience anyways.

BTW- Who says the mascot is being "operated" by a male anyways? More and more mascots are female, you know. Especially regional mascots. So, stupid or not, give it some space folks.

Actually, I'm not so sure how successful it will be if it ventures into the student section. My bet is that, during the regular season, it won't venture too far into the student section. It's not the mascot's audience anyways.

BTW- Who says the mascot is being "operated" by a male anyways? More and more mascots are female, you know. Especially regional mascots. So, stupid or not, give it some space folks.

Just having some fun with this latest marketing gimmick.

I wouldn't venture too far into the student section, either. Never can tell what a few inebriated Sioux fans might do. :D.

What would pi$$ me off if I attended games there: Missing a goal because some dancing bear was doing jumping jacks in the aisle.. :angry:

The kids will embrace him, but I just hope the bear isn't annoying like mascots of professional sports teams.

Here is the problem some moron from the name change crowd will write one of their stupid op-eds about the mascot and then there will be an uproar and then the Mascot will be gone just like Thunder the Bleacher Creature. I incidently liked Thunder but I am not sure how someone could have made the stretch that it was insensitive and racist and all the other crap that some wrote about it...

I wouldn't venture too far into the student section, either. Never can tell what a few inebriated Sioux fans might do. :0.

Not in the student section :0 !?!?!...It's a dry campus, UND students don't consume mass quantities of alcohol, that's the most asanine thing I've ever heard. :)

Now that I am back from Kupchella's Fantasy Island...if the bear ain't careful and gets in my way (like those damn blimps), I'LL rip his tongue out ala MacTavish. I'd say what else I'd do, but this is a family board. :angry: . :D

lol

where did they come up with a polar bear anyways?

Because it's damn cold here 9 months out of the year!

I forgot about the blimps. I heard you get in big trouble if you damage one of those things. However, I haven't met a single person who wouldn't want to pop them or at least damage them beyond repair. The ONLY redeeming quality was for the 30 seconds to 5 minutes when they attached a Wookiee warning sign to one of them. Otherwise, they are merely jokes. Even the "Prizes" they drop are jokes.

The "prizes" they drop are really jokes. A coupon for 50 cents off your next new or used vehicle at Rydell Chevrolet.

Good one :angry: lol!!

Screw blimps & fat polar bears. I'd like to see the Coors twins--that would fill the seats, for sure. If they have a Hooters restaurant in G.F., what's wrong with hiring a big-chested girl to walk up & down the aisles 2 nights/week? :D

Wow, instead of having the overstuffed tailless rat running around the concourse, they have him on ice!

How many ways can you say "Holy crap get him off the ice!" If the ice at the Ralph wasn't bad enough. Not to mention it skated around like well... some derogatory term that is really mean and low and not worth stating. I appreciated those fans who started chanting "You sit!" repeatedly.

As for the sweater, it says UND, so I don't think it represents the REA. It may not represent the Sioux, but regardless, it was a stupid idea. And Katie O'Keefe is back too. At least Katie has some semblence of a personality.

The Polar Bear is not a UND Mascot. It will be used by Ralph Engelstad Arena to promote the World Junior Championship that will take place in December 2004 and January 2005. The Polar Bear will soon have a name and will soon be wearing a World Junior Jersey (when it arrives).