SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Mascot issue!

Riverman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ralph,

Sorry about the bad rap the Bear already has, but it is just a /bad/ idea. Especially the part about putting him on the ice and having him stand in front of the student section. Where I sit, I didn't hear a single fan who wanted the bear anywhere near the student section.

My suggestion is: Have the white cotton monstrosity running around the concourse and the seats during intermissions off the ice in the general public sections of the stands. That way it gets to the kids and the public that Roger Thomas is shooting for by dropping ticket prices for toddlers (not criticizing that decision. To me, it's ridiculous to pay money for someone that young...).

And to save everyone the headache, I won't get into what I think about a hockey game with a family atmosphere.

Don't be so hard on the Marketing crew. They have to make a living.

How do you market something to a crowd that (except students) of season ticket holders who are spending $325+ for Sioux hockey to buy $150 hockey game package (World Juniors) when it's the players themselves that put the butts in the seats and not the marketing really? A mascot is really the easiest way.

I mean, look, it has us frothing at the mouth. Yeah, it may evoke wishes of its demise, but it still has us talking. I think Nixon said Bad publicity is still publicity. Ok, maybe not Nixon...

Don't mistake this note for me being pro-skating rat. I'm just optimistic that there may be honest folk at the REA. Not just heartless, clueless ticket takers like those at the women's hockey game.

I'm just optimistic that there may be honest folk at the REA. Not just heartless, clueless ticket takers like those at the women's hockey game.

I'm with you on this one. I seen a few little kids who were pointing at the bear. And even a few smiles.

Time will tell. I was for a mascot of the state bird. :( Think "Canes" in Fla... ;)

Did anyone notice in the Grand Forks Herald this fall that there was an blurb in the outdoors sections right before hunting season that said shooting Meadow Larks was against the law. :)

This guy lobbied hard for passage of that law. :(

Wasn't the whooping crane the new mascot in the movie "PCU"? ;)

I think we should have the bear run around with a tomohawk..Call him Chief Fighting Bear

If it projects a violent image that would offend 1000s, I say go for it--bring more attention to the school, ESPN will do a special on it, high school all-stars will see this coverage & want to be associated with a bad-boy school, bingo, Sioux recruiting made easy...

If it projects a violent image that would offend 1000s, I say go for it--bring more attention to the school, ESPN will do a special on it, high school all-stars will see this coverage & want to be associated with a bad-boy school, bingo, Sioux recruiting made easy...

I couldn't agree more. They just can't handle it when the nickname thing isn't on the front page every day. Whenever this issue dies down, they try to think of outrageous claims to make to try and get people's attention.

Well, more likely, if history is a guide, the issue simmers down, and then some yutz does something to bring the issue to the forefront, e.g., idiotic frat guys doing the "tomahawk chop" to Indian kids, Blunder the Bleacher Creature, morons from opposite teams testing out their graphic design skills, etc. By and large, the name change crowd spends more time preaching to its own small choir than the rest of the world, until somebody does something to "create" the issue, again.