SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 NHL Draft

USA Hockey

People who don't think we're getting blue chippers need to look at next years class...possible first round picks in 2010 Nick Mattson, Derek Forbort, Bredan O'donnell and Michael Parks will be drafted too

*Laughing out loud* :)

I suppose everyone is a potential first round pick until the 2nd round starts :angry: :angry:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Laughing out loud* :)

I suppose everyone is a potential first round pick until the 2nd round starts :angry: :angry:

True but if you know anything about the players (maybe you do maybe you don't) you'd know that there all top end talent with Forbort and Mattson playin point at the NDTP program next year and O'donnell being a high talent playing in AAA in Canada. Parks and Forbort both played for team USA's u-17 tournament team last year.

Mattson and Forbort will be big time NHL prospects.

O'Donnell and Parks will be ?'s.

WHat's O'Donnell doing this next season? Is he going to be able to make a jump into a higher level of competition or is he going to stay in AAA or a weak MJHL?

Parks made the U-17 and that speaks highly for him but that doesn't mean he's top 2 round talent.

I think he'll end up being a lot like Rodwell. He'll go in the 5th, 6th or 7th round.

And I deleted my post about the Cubs. Not relelvant. I am sorry folks.

True but if you know anything about the players (maybe you do maybe you don't) you'd know that there all top end talent with Forbort and Mattson playin point at the NDTP program next year and O'donnell being a high talent playing in AAA in Canada. Parks and Forbort both played for team USA's u-17 tournament team last year.

Mattson is playing in the USHL next year though. He's been linked to, like, 3 different teams there for next season. He was on Des Moines affiliate list, then his rights got picked up by the new USHL franchise in Youngstown, OH... and I also just read that he then got traded to Indiana. Kid's been bouncing around it seems...

People who don't think we're getting blue chippers need to look at next years class...possible first round picks in 2010 Nick Mattson, Derek Forbort, Bredan O'donnell and Michael Parks will be drafted too

I don't consider O'Donnell and Parks to be blue chip recruits yet....only time will tell. But you're definetly right about Mattson and Forbort.

Hey, anyone know enough of pro opinions to be able to explain why Haula went in the seventh round?

I thought he'd crack the top 5 rounds for sure. I don't think he was first round or even second round material, but I thought perhaps he'd go in the 4th or 5th rounds.

I can't say for sure, but I know he's really lacking in strength. I think he struggled with the more physical North American style of play even at the AAA level Shattuck plays at where there's not as much hitting. If he had gone undrafted, and then done well in Omaha next season, he probably would have gone higher in the draft. Kind of similar to Fallstrom, who put on a lot of muscle between his junior and senior seasons and ended up getting drafted the second time around.

I might have missed it in the thread, but why would a team forfeit a pick?

There was a shady trade between Toronto and Tampa at the deadline where a team was trying to buy cap space or something, and the league slapped Toronto's wrist by making them forfeit a pick.

OK, I am going to be debbie downer and pessimistic on Danny Mattson.

I suspect a major physical issue as the reason behind Mattson not being drafted. A lot of guys don't get drafted, but not many guys who put up his kinda numbers (not just this year, but for a career) are evaluated as a mid-50's by central scouting, and invited to the combine don't go in the draft.

I talked with somebody today about why Mattson didn't get drafted and it wasn't a physical issue or anything. There were some bad habits he showed out on the ice that were enough to make them pass. Not that I necessarily agree with that, but if he has a better year next season, he'll probably get drafted.

I think Forbort is the only one out of those guys that has first round potential. I really like the O'Donnell kid and think he has the talent to go pretty high. Mattson, I don't see being taken as high. I don't know anything about Parks. Matt White will probably get drafted too. But all of this is very contingent on how these guys play next year.

I was thinking something along those lines of being good with no stars and being hard to stop.

I don't think a player needs a blue chipper to win an NCAA title.

you may not need one, but it sure seems to help. overall you need balance and in the ncaa one and done format, the goalie is the key, but take a look at past champs...

09 BU had Wilson, and Gilroy was the best dman in college hockey

08 BC had Gerbe who was arguably the best in college hockey that year

07 Mich. St. might not have had any prototypical blue chippers, but Abdelkader played for the cup this year, and Lerg was on fire

06 UW had Pavelski and Skille, and Elliot was on fire

... there is a trend here

05 and 04 DU had Matt Carle and Gauthier (not sure if he fits blue chipper), 05 added Stastny and Mannino

03 and 02 UM had Ballard and Martin on the blue line, plus Leopold in 02, Vanek in 03

i won't go on, but it seems like they all had a mix of blue chippers, depth and goaltending. i am in no way discounting the Sioux by this statement, as i think VandeVelde, Genoway, Frattin, Gregoire and Eidsness all have star potential, and i think depth will be the strength this year. i just hope we don't see another sub-.500 start.

you may not need one, but it sure seems to help. overall you need balance and in the ncaa one and done format, the goalie is the key, but take a look at past champs...

I see what you're saying Gilroy was a walkon that no one wanted and had to beg to stay on that team.

I think UND has balance and that could really help the Sioux like it did with the Redwings when they won

the cup a year ago. UND can roll four lines and who does the opposition check? They could shut down one

line and another shows up on the score sheet. I dunno, who knows where UND finishes this season but I don't

think it is a bad thing that UND doesn't have a first round draft choice. I am still excited about next season.

08 BC had Gerbe who was arguably the best in college hockey that year

07 Mich. St. might not have had any prototypical blue chippers, but Abdelkader played for the cup this year, and Lerg was on fire

06 UW had Pavelski and Skille, and Elliot was on fire

... there is a trend here

05 and 04 DU had Matt Carle and Gauthier (not sure if he fits blue chipper), 05 added Stastny and Mannino

03 and 02 UM had Ballard and Martin on the blue line, plus Leopold in 02, Vanek in 03

i won't go on, but it seems like they all had a mix of blue chippers, depth and goaltending. i am in no way discounting the Sioux by this statement, as i think VandeVelde, Genoway, Frattin, Gregoire and Eidsness all have star potential, and i think depth will be the strength this year. i just hope we don't see another sub-.500 start.

You onyl partially make your argument.

MSU had good players, but not blue chippers. Good as Abdelkader is and was back then, he was no blue chipper.

One could make the case that UW didn't have any either. Pavelski turned into a good player but NHL wise was a 7th round draft pick! Skille was supposed to be a force and he was pretty good but not great in college and he's scratching the surface of the NHL. Elliot was not a blue chip recruit. He was an unknown that turned into a gem. He was an 8th round draft pick in one of the last drafts that had an 8th round.

DU did have a blue chipper in Carle. Stastny and Manino weren't blue chippers by most standards but were high quality recruits. You're right. Gauthier wasn't a lblue chipper.

1999-2000 Sioux had no first round draft picks on the team at all and we won a title.

We're not an NHL team, folks. Hakstol is putting together a team that can compete at a high level. He's not putting together a team of NHL elite prospects. Besides, UW had a bevy of first rounders last year and missed the cut to the NCAAs.

It's the team that matters, not where their players are drafted or even how highly regarded their players are by NHL scouts.

07 Mich. St.

I think the 07 MSU title team proves that you don't need a blue chip recruit to win the national champs.

That was a team that wasn't even expected to get out of their regional, let alone win the title. And while Abdelkader and Lerg were both very good players, they were hardly considered blue chip prospects when entering college.

That said, I agree that having a couple "chippahs" certainly helps out. Parise knows that Oshie and Toews led the Sioux the past couple years when playoff time came. But I also think that Genoway and VV are going to be the studs for the Sioux this upcoming season. Both of them are poised to have monster years, possibly All-American type years for each of them.

Bemidji State made that Frozen Four run with how many "blue chippers"?

BSU had a couple guys who didn't have star-name-power but who did show they know how to play the game in pressure situations and a team bought into a system that worked for them.

i agree with most of the responses here, it is the team above all, i think in hockey even more so than any other team sport. and as i stated above, in the current one and done format, the goaltending plays a huge role. my point was that having top end talent, blue chippers, what ever you want to call it, seems to be what puts most of these champions over the top, although the 07 spartan were probably the largest exception to the rule.

and the beavers were a great story this year, and had a magical run, i hope they do it again (as long as they are not in our regional)... but not an ncaa champion, and an even bigger exception to the rule (i believe the only #16 seed to make the frozen four?)

You onyl partially make your argument.

MSU had good players, but not blue chippers. Good as Abdelkader is and was back then, he was no blue chipper.

One could make the case that UW didn't have any either. Pavelski turned into a good player but NHL wise was a 7th round draft pick! Skille was supposed to be a force and he was pretty good but not great in college and he's scratching the surface of the NHL. Elliot was not a blue chip recruit. He was an unknown that turned into a gem. He was an 8th round draft pick in one of the last drafts that had an 8th round.

DU did have a blue chipper in Carle. Stastny and Manino weren't blue chippers by most standards but were high quality recruits. You're right. Gauthier wasn't a lblue chipper.

1999-2000 Sioux had no first round draft picks on the team at all and we won a title.

We're not an NHL team, folks. Hakstol is putting together a team that can compete at a high level. He's not putting together a team of NHL elite prospects. Besides, UW had a bevy of first rounders last year and missed the cut to the NCAAs.

It's the team that matters, not where their players are drafted or even how highly regarded their players are by NHL scouts.

yep and how many titles did toews,oshie,stafford, lee and parise win? the big fat goose egg.

yep and how many titles did toews,oshie,stafford, lee and parise win? the big fat goose egg.

BUt that seems to be all that matters to some.

We may not have won the NC, but at least Hak brought in some blue chippers.

I'd rather have a team that is dangerous to play against that no one knows their names than a team full of blue chippers that can't get the job done.

BSU is a great example. The people calling for blue chippers: Your thoughts on BSU? I'm sure going into last season they just sucked right?

I think we'll be able to roll the 3.5 lines, the goalie part I'm not sold on yet.

Really?

I think Eidsness did darn well for a freshman goaltender.

What worries me is if he's going to have a sophomore slump like Bachman did or will he just continue to play well like Manino?

Goon- Miami has none. I thought of Miami as the SCSU of the CCHA but now that's not even the case. I still think Miami is soft but they must be respected now.

Really?

I think Eidsness did darn well for a freshman goaltender.

What worries me is if he's going to have a sophomore slump like Bachman did or will he just continue to play well like Manino?

Goon- Miami has none. I thought of Miami as the SCSU of the CCHA but now that's not even the case. I still think Miami is soft but they must be respected now.

he let in a lot of soft goals last season that I kept hearing "he'd like that one back" his numbers weren't eye popping like bachman's were so if he does have a sophomore slump let's hope Dell can step in. there was never a game I went into thinking he'd pull one out for us. it always seemed like he gave up at least 2 bad goals. what happened in nh was a whole team effort not just him.

Part of the Kangas/Bachman problem may have been sophomore slump.

Another may have been complacency: They knew the job was theirs.

Enter Aaron Dell.

(Crazy like fox that Hakstol.)

Part of the Kangas/Bachman problem may have been sophomore slump.

Another may have been complacency: They knew the job was theirs.

Enter Aaron Dell.

(Crazy like fox that Hakstol.)

i agree with you here. kangas wasn't the same after the sioux blasted him, although i though patterson was supposed to be a solid backup? i know nothing of cc's backup, i would think bachman is back to form this year, he's too good to just slip into mediocrity.