SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 NHL Draft

USA Hockey

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the NHL isnt impressed with our incoming class. How about st cloud, they have had 3 players taken before any of ours, Ill bet that has never happened

Keep in mind that the majority of the incoming class was drafted last year (Kristo, MacWilliam, Bruneteau, and Gleason). Knight and Mattson are 2010 players and are still developing so their draft stock won't be as high. I was told by a good source that Cichy doesn't really fit the type of player that NHL scouts are looking for (not very big and not very fast) so he isn't being drafted high either.

Keep in mind that the majority of the incoming class was drafted last year (Kristo, MacWilliam, Bruneteau, and Gleason). Knight and Mattson are 2010 players and are still developing so their draft stock won't be as high. I was told by a good source that Cichy doesn't really fit the type of player that NHL scouts are looking for (not very big and not very fast) so he isn't being drafted high either.

that is a good point that many of them were drafted last year. I still cant imagine Cichy getting passed over, he has been successful and sometimes that tells a lot more than stopwatches and scales etc.

I guess the NHL isnt impressed with our incoming class. How about st cloud, they have had 3 players taken before any of ours, Ill bet that has never happened

Why were we not interested in Mr. Hanoski or Mr. Lee? They are nearly in our back yard, do they not fit our style and if so, what do the NHL scouts see that our coaching staff didn't. Now if they turned us down, oh well....but I would find that hard to believe.

Very surprised to see that Danny Mattson wasn't drafted.....I think someone might have pegged it that he didn't have a very good showing at the combine or something to that effect. I thought he looked good this past year at the U18 tournament holding some talented forwards off the score sheet. Guess if he's not drafted he should spend four years at UND. :)

It was even a surprise to see that Rajala from Finland go as late as he did. I only saw him play against Canada in the bronze medal game at the U18 but he was still far and away the best player on the ice that day. I liked the comment that one of the analysts made...."Scandanavian players just mature slower...." Hmmm.....yeah okay....

Why were we not interested in Mr. Hanoski or Mr. Lee? They are nearly in our back yard, do they not fit our style and if so, what do the NHL scouts see that our coaching staff didn't. Now if they turned us down, oh well....but I would find that hard to believe.

The interest in Mike Lee was lukewarm, we already had Eidsness committed and he didn't want to sit the bench for three years. I find it interesting that Dell didn't seem to care about this since he was recruited by some other top schools, maybe he just likes the idea of competing for the goalie spot a little more :) As with Hanowski, we're loaded at foward and I don't see any room. Also, with Danny Mattson the NHL scouts may have questioned his size and strength coming out of high school which he can develop in juniors as he will be eligible for the draft again next year.

I'm surprised Mattson wasn't drafted, but he will be drafted next year as he is still eligible.

Rodwell was drafted and that was nice.

I also noticed that Minnesota took a fair deal of wingers in this draft. Other than Hamburg and Haula, anyone know anything about the other guys?

I wonder if there is something going on behind the scenes with Mattson that the coaches here and NHL teams know about. I mean, everyone predicted him to be a 3rd-4th rounder and a lot of people thought he was ready to jump in here for 09-10. It makes you wonder if there is a mystery injury, personality issue, or just flat out bombed at the combine. I would think it would be hard for a team in the later rounds to pass up what everyone thought would be a 3rd-4th rounder if there wasn't something wrong.

I wonder if there is something going on behind the scenes with Mattson that the coaches here and NHL teams know about. I mean, everyone predicted him to be a 3rd-4th rounder and a lot of people thought he was ready to jump in here for 09-10. It makes you wonder if there is a mystery injury, personality issue, or just flat out bombed at the combine. I would think it would be hard for a team in the later rounds to pass up what everyone thought would be a 3rd-4th rounder if there wasn't something wrong.

I'm going to take the optimist approach.

NHL teams laid off of him this year shying away due to size and level of competition.

Mattson has an opportunity to light it up in the USHL next year and he's still eligible for the 2010 draft.

So if he lights up the USHL... he could go high in the 2010 draft.

Anyone know of a player that was passed up in his first year or eligibility and then went high in the following year's draft?

I know that Brian Salcido was passed over his first year of draft eligibility and then was drafted in the 5th or 6th round the following year...

Should we be concerned that more teams like the Gophers have more round 1 and 2 recruits than we do?

Yes and no. Yes, because it would be safe to assume those players have more natural talent than others. No, because you have to: a) use the players the right way, b) have a balance of players that fit the system you are trying to incorporate

Minnesota and Wisconsin have had some great draft classes many of the past seasons. Our last great draft class was the one that just graduated (albeit they were drafted in different drafts). Look at where UW and UM were when the playoffs rolled around this past spring.

Also, keep in mind, Ryan Duncan put up stellar numbers before coming here, yet remained undrafted. Your odds are very against you in becoming another Ryan Duncan, but maybe Mattson can be a second coming. I know he can still be drafted next year, but I still find it very strange that a team didn't burn a late round pick taking a chance on him. It really shows that there's something behind the scenes, in my opinion.

Should we be concerned that more teams like the Gophers have more round 1 and 2 recruits than we do?

Not unless we're jumping to the pros.

We build DI teams, not NHL teams.

Unless you're a staunch anti-Hakstol person. Then, yes.

Also, draft position doesn't mean squat.

A couple of examples:

Jesse Wallin (DET) was drafted in the first round in 1993. He managed to play 8 years in the pros and did NOTHING.

Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg (DET), Luc Robitaille and Brett Hull (now HOF members) were drafted no earlier than the 6th or 7th rounds. I believe Robitaille was a 9th rounder.

Draft position is a lot like a dart board toss. Sometimes it is a bullseye. Other times, you hit some shmoe at the bar in the ass.

Sorry for the (assumedly) double post, but I'm going to prove my point.

I went to hockeydb.com and looked at the first round and only the first round from 1993-2004 (I'm going to assume that 2005-Present isn't long enough being drafted to have much known as to the impact in the NHL).

The following years are listed below. Beside each year is the number of first rounders that have played 10 or less games in the NHL. The second number denotes played no games in the NHL to date.

1993: 4/2

1994: 3/3

1995: 4/1

1996: 5/2

1997: 5/3

1998: 2/1

1999: 4/1*

2000: 4/1

2001: 3/3

2002: 6/4

2003: 2/1*

* these years have exceptions. 1999 goaltending prospect Brent Krahn is still held in high regard. 2003's two are Shawn Belle and Hugh Jessiman... Belle might still be viable. I haven't seen anything to denote that Jessiman is anything more than a minor league lifer.

These stats aren't the end all say all, and it is true that first rounders in the NHL have a better chance of panning out than first rounders in other major sports, but I guess I don't put that much weight on it.

It's all about player development at our level. A first rounder who flames out after 3-5 seasons vs an 7th rounder who takes a while to get to the NHL level and then puts together a yeoman-like 10-13 year NHL career.... which would you take?

It just seems like no player that is coming in is creating a buzz like Towes or Oshie. It just seems like Minn and Wis have more Buzz players than we do. I hope I am wrong but no Oshie or Towes type players coming up.

First of all... TOEWS. (might of been a typo, but after spending a week working hockey camp with girl campers who don't know who he is... i'm a bit ...ugh!)

And secondly, I couldn't give a crap about Minny or Wisco and the players they have or are going to have. And i think it's dumb to judge our incoming classes based on other teams. I trust we recruit the right players for our team and they'll come out of here better than when they came in. My 2 cents...

for those concerned about how many players drafted and where you have to look at what players are coming in and what players will still be in juniors. remember a few of the players for this years class were drafted last season. thats usually how it worisk anyhow unless you are a toews, oshie ect.....coming in straight from hs or prep school and it takes a hell of a player to do that to begin with. this may be one of the most blanaced teams coming in we have had in years, we will see. the only big suprise is mattson not drafted after getting a combine invite. very rare i believe. not sure what happened there. next year we could have 2 first rounders. we will see how it plays out but i wouldnt be high or low in regards to draft status as their are teams that have had multiple 1st rounders including the sioux that couldnt close the deal in the end. takes a lot more than that as we all know