SiouxSports.com Forum

Good Luck Duncan

gfhockey

Best of luck Ryan! Thanks for all the great memories over the years. We have loved watching you display your talents.

Oh...and one other thing. Last year's Regionals in Madison when the Sioux were playing Princeton, there was a spot in the game where a Princeton player was laying on the ice, hurt. You had the puck, play continued, there might have been a chance to score "shorthanded", but instead you gently tucked the puck under the hurt player, stopping play.

That's the classiest move I've ever seen in college hockey and Hobey Baker himself would have been proud.

Take that class, and your great skills to the next level. You'll be a star no matter whose sweater you pull over your head.

Oh...and one other thing. Last year's Regionals in Madison when the Sioux were playing Princeton, there was a spot in the game where a Princeton player was laying on the ice, hurt. You had the puck, play continued, there might have been a chance to score "shorthanded", but instead you gently tucked the puck under the hurt player, stopping play.

That's the classiest move I've ever seen in college hockey and Hobey Baker himself would have been proud.

I remember that as well.

Typical Ryan Duncan. Just a class act, through and through.

Good luck Dunc! Good luck with your new team and I hope you show everyone whoever doubted you that they were wrong! You are what every hockey player should strive to be, and I'm glad I had the pleasure to know you. Hopefully I will run into you again soon! ???

Good luck Dunc! Good luck with your new team and I hope you show everyone whoever doubted you that they were wrong! You are what every hockey player should strive to be, and I'm glad I had the pleasure to know you. Hopefully I will run into you again soon! ???

If Okposo can make it.....well I see Duncan in the NHL next year. Regardless of draft picks

Poor Chris over at WCH. His hatred for all things UND just makes him sound like a whiner anytime he brings the Sioux up on his blog. ???

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/20...rees-to-ahl-ato

Former Hobey Baker winner Ryan Duncan will play for the Bridgeport Tigers of the AHL for the rest of the season on an amateur tryout contract. Apparently Duncan couldn't find an NHL contract, so he will play the rest of the season in the AHL to try and impress some NHL team into signing him over the summer.

It's a strange coincidence that Dan Sexton signed an NHL deal the same day Duncan had to resort to an AHL tryout. What's the difference between Duncan and Sexton? Both are very undersized forwards that put up good numbers in the NCAA. The difference is that Sexton is two years younger and had the bargaining chip of returning to school. Duncan had both of those things in his favor once too. I credit the kid with sticking around to get his degree, and hopefully he'll play well these last couple weeks and end up with an NHL contract anyway, but you've got to wonder if he missed a big opportunity. North Dakota will always be there, barring a high flood crest, but the NHL is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

In response to his blog, I can only say that I think Duncan realizes that he is either good enough to make the NHL, or he is not. Sure it would be nice to latch on to one nice contract before, but with the new structure, it certainly is not going to set you up for life. If Duncan has the stuff to make the NHL, he will get his contract at some point. Remember, Ralph Engelstad decided not to continue to pursue the NHL and get started with his life, and it worked out well for him. I have no doubt Ryan Duncan will be successful at whatever he does, because he has something that our blogger doesn't--class!

In response to his blog, I can only say that I think Duncan realizes that he is either good enough to make the NHL, or he is not. Sure it would be nice to latch on to one nice contract before, but with the new structure, it certainly is not going to set you up for life. If Duncan has the stuff to make the NHL, he will get his contract at some point. Remember, Ralph Engelstad decided not to continue to pursue the NHL and get started with his life, and it worked out well for him. I have no doubt Ryan Duncan will be successful at whatever he does, because he has something that our blogger doesn't--class!

Well true but I think it worked out better for Ralph than 99.9 percent of the rest of us....but I get what you are saying!

Right, the odds of being as successful moneywise as Ralph are astronomical, but I have a feeling Duncan will be successful at whatever he wants to do outside of hockey. I hope he makes it in the NHL, but if he doesn't, I doubt he will kick himself for missing out on one short contract, especially with the memories he made after the Hobey year. I find it funny that Chris defends College Hockey when arguments come up with Major Juniors, as well he should, but then when someone decides to stay in college hockey he is looked at as foolish. If college hockey is good for an individual, it has to involve education, so to put someone down for staying seems absurd in that context. Like I said before, Duncan is smart enough to know that his skills are going to either be good enough to play on the big stage or not.

I really think Duncan made a good decision to get the education. You can't play hockey forever.

Nice to have something to fall back onto.

I'm not disappointed that Duncan stayed too.

I don't see his game translating to the NHL like Gerbe's did and does.

Goehring was dominant at the DI level and did darn good at the AHL level too. Still, he never made the NHL except for one game where he sat on the bench and watched.

I would have thought Goehring would have made it. Now, he'll never do it. Fortunately, he held a 4.0 GPA in, IIRC, marketing when he left UND.

I was thinking what BETTER could an NHL team do than to hire a former pro goaltender to be their marketer of some sort once Goehring hands up the skates?

I think Duncs will play some minor pro for some years and then move on. He'll do just fine.