SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures

AZSIOUX

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Schroeder has a very good chance at leaving as well, depending on who drafts him. He tore it up at the WJC, which I'm sure really impressed the scouts...

Agreed. But it really depends on who gets him and their immediate needs. I'd be surprised if he signed so quickly. It seems like teams are giving solid first rounders at least two years in the NCAAs first, ie) Wilson (1rd, 7th pick), vanRiedsdyk (1 rd, 2nd pick), okposo (one and a half) parise, toews, oshie. But again its hard to predict.

Not according to all of the Gopher fans. I would say there is a chance that the team that drafts him

might want him to sign. I guess we will find out this summer.

I would think Fontaine has an outside chance. He was right up there with Sharp in points all season.

Pretty talented sophomore.

I think Schroeder has a very good chance at leaving as well, depending on who drafts him. He tore it up at the WJC, which I'm sure really impressed the scouts...

Going back to UMD...why do I get the idea that the Connolly's are going to be the type of players that torment the rest of the league for another three seasons? Those two look to be great pickups for Sandelin.

It's impossible to know. So many people have said they have sources that he's staying next year for sure, and MAYBE his junior year. I've also heard that he's gone for sure. With such conflicting reports, there's no sure answer. I guess all I can say is I've heard more "stay" than "go", so whatever that means...

Sounds like Wiercioch will return to DU for next season:

That's huge for them. He was an exceptional freshman dman. UW really screwed up with him...

UW accepts a verbal for '08 OR '09 where the OR part was pretty clearly if McBain or McDonagh were going to bolt over the Summer and 3 short months later when the OR part don't work out the kid took an oppurtunity to play for DU because little Carle had his hockey career abruptly end. How exactly did UW screw up with him? While it was something I would have loved to have seen work out different for UW (it was unrealistic to expect him to stay another year in the USHL after he blew up the second half of the USHL season post injury and got drafted high), I think it worked out best for all involved. At UW, Wiercioch would have struggled to make the top 2 pairings this past season (he can't hold McBain's or McDonagh's jock at this point, Goloubef beat him out for team Canada WJC, Smith was exceptional when not hurt and Gardiner was in the same class (or hardly that far off) as a frosh). Wiercioch had a great finish to the USHL season after his verbal and his high draft status and UW's embarassment of riches at Dman made them a bad fit for each other this past season. Good for the kid that he found a spot where a good program needed a top 4 dman this fall and it worked out well for him, but I think UW would have preferred McBain and McDonagh staying and losing him because of it.

From my viewings of both DU and UW, I would have put Wiercioch as at least the 3rd best dman if he would have been with UW.

McBain and McDonagh, and then Wiercioch. Goloubef, Smith, and Gardiner did not impress me nearly as much as Wiercioch.

It looks like UW's 6th dman rotated between Springer, Little, and Johnson, who combined for a total of 8 points. I would have thought delaying Springer or Little to bring in Wiercioch would have made for an amazing d-corps (more amazing than it already was, at least).

Just my opinion. I understand that things sometimes don't work out between players and teams, but IMO that was a huge loss for UW after watching how well he did this season at DU.