SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures

AZSIOUX

per brad

The WCHA has its first early departure of the offseason.

Anchorage junior forward Paul Crowder signed a free agent deal with the New York Rangers, giving up his final year of eligibility. Crowder led the Seawolves in scoring last season with 14 goals, 19 assists and 33 points.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#2 has signed....

From hockeyfights.com

The Washington Capitals have signed free agent center Trevor Bruess to a two-year entry-level contract beginning in 2009-10, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today. The Capitals expect Bruess to join the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League (AHL) next week on an amateur tryout agreement.

Bruess (pronounced BRISS), 23, has spent the past three seasons with Minnesota State of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA). The 6'0", 200-pound Minneapolis native was an assistant captain for the Mavericks in 2008-09. He had 12 goals, 17 points and 117 penalty minutes in 35 games on the season, leading the team in penalty minutes and finishing tied for third in goals.

Bruess led Minnesota State in points (30) and assists (21) as a sophomore in 2007-08 in 38 games. His nine goals included a team-high three shorthanded goals, one power-play goal and one game-winner. He won the team's Hardest Worker Award for the second year in a row and led the team in plus/minus rating (+22). In three collegiate seasons Bruess posted 24 goals and 61 points in 110 games.

Bruess joins an organization that has seen five former college free agents contribute with the Capitals at the NHL level this season: Jay Beagle, Sean Collins, Graham Mink, Brian Pothier and David Steckel.

#2 has signed....

From hockeyfights.com

The Washington Capitals have signed free agent center Trevor Bruess to a two-year entry-level contract beginning in 2009-10, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today. The Capitals expect Bruess to join the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League (AHL) next week on an amateur tryout agreement.

Bruess (pronounced BRISS), 23, has spent the past three seasons with Minnesota State of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA). The 6'0", 200-pound Minneapolis native was an assistant captain for the Mavericks in 2008-09. He had 12 goals, 17 points and 117 penalty minutes in 35 games on the season, leading the team in penalty minutes and finishing tied for third in goals.

Bruess led Minnesota State in points (30) and assists (21) as a sophomore in 2007-08 in 38 games. His nine goals included a team-high three shorthanded goals, one power-play goal and one game-winner. He won the team's Hardest Worker Award for the second year in a row and led the team in plus/minus rating (+22). In three collegiate seasons Bruess posted 24 goals and 61 points in 110 games.

Bruess joins an organization that has seen five former college free agents contribute with the Capitals at the NHL level this season: Jay Beagle, Sean Collins, Graham Mink, Brian Pothier and David Steckel.

Maybe Big Joe will be able to have a conversation with him in training camp similar to Greene/Paukovich.

per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

CC's Connelly signs

Colorado College defenseman Brian Connelly is the third underclassman to leave early this offseason. Connelly, a junior, has signed with the Chicago Blackhawks.

Connelly had three goals and 24 assists for 27 points last season. He was the third-leading scorer for the Tigers.

I believe Connelly is Colorado College's first early departure since defenseman Brian Salcido in 2006. Salcido signed a free-agent deal with Anaheim. He made his NHL debut this season, playing in two games for the Ducks.

Early departures in the WCHA (3)

Alaska-Anchorage (1)

Paul Crowder, jr, forward

Colorado College (1)

Brian Connelly, jr, defenseman

MSU-Mankato (1)

Trevor Bruess, jr, forward

McDonagh (sp) is going to be a machine when he goes, and I hope it's soon. He was excellent against the Sioux in Madison; broke up a ton of stuff. He's also a rock physically. INCH did their "draft" where each tourney team gets to add a player from a non-tourney team. My two choices based on their play against UND would be Rau and McDonagh. But now I'm way off topic.

I don't know how good of a pro McBain is going to be. Sure, he's great offensively, but he wasn't very solid in his own zone.

McDonagh is the UW defenseman that could go college to NHL direct really.

McBain will take adjustment. I don't know if he'll make the NHL on a regular basis any time soon. I predict he takes a similar track to the NHL that Smaby is taking, despite the differences between Smaby and McBain's games.

Looks like CC's Bachman might be going pro now too:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...fs.3ee9ec3.html

Bachman close to signing: Stars goalie prospect Richard Bachman is close to agreeing to terms on a standard three-year rookie contract. The 21-year-old Bachman was taken 120th overall in the 2006 entry draft and has spent the last two seasons at Colorado College.

He went 25-9-1 with a 1.95 GAA and was named a first-team All-Star for the Western Collegiate Hockey Association last season. This year, he played in front of a less experienced team and went 14-11-10 with a 2.63 GAA.

If Bachman signs, he will forego the final two years of college eligibility and will probably play in the AHL or the ECHL next season.

Would be a big blow for the Tigers for next season. They already lost Brian Connelly, a jr dman, a few days ago.

Who is next, I say Shroeder. (?sp)

Not likely since he has to still get drafted in June.

Anyone notice McBain's contract $600,000 a year if in the NHL and Stoa's looks like it will be for the max? Both are 2nd rounders I believe so I don't think McBain's agent did very good negotiating.