SiouxSports.com Forum

schafer suspension

krangodance

i'm sure most of you have read that cornell coach, mike schafer, has been suspended for one game for his comments after a loss to rpi last week. i just finally got around to reading up on the comments and i have to say, this suspension is ridiculous.

here's the story: http://www.theithacajournal.com/article/20...LOGS05/90314007

this doesn't sound like a coach who's disgruntled by a loss, this sounds like a coach who is letting his honest opinion be heard because he feels it's necessary if his league has any chance of bettering it's own officiating.

it sounds like the ecac runs their league like the chinese government. speak out against the league and you'll be punished, whether you're right or not.

i'm glad the wcha isn't like this. we've had our share of poor officiating over the past couple years, but coaches say something about it and, in my opinion, the officiating crew takes it to heart and tries to do better. i think the officiating in the wcha during the second half of this season has been better than it was during the first half of the season. i believe that is because of coaches gripes.

since when is a member of a sports league not allowed to point out discrepencies in the league? the thing is, if his claims didn't have merit, then the ecac has nothing to worry about since everybody would call him out on it. for example, when don lucia goes off on how the sioux play to agressively, then says the same thing about their opponent the following weekend, everybody knows that's just scapegoating. therefore, if schafer is not making a legitimate point, the ecac has nothing to worry about as the masses will speak up on their behalf. at the same time, if schafer's comments are accurate, then the league should look into it.

in either case, a suspension is irresponsible on the part of the league. my guess, based on his words and reputation in the league, schafer's words speak to the truth and i commend him for standing up against a league that he likely knew would rather punish somebody for speaking out against the all-powerful ecac, then actually investigate the claims. my guess is time will prove mr. schafer was in the right; or at least the officials will clean up their act because of his words.

i'm sure most of you have read that cornell coach, mike schafer, has been suspended for one game for his comments after a loss to rpi last week. i just finally got around to reading up on the comments and i have to say, this suspension is ridiculous.

here's the story: http://www.theithacajournal.com/article/20...LOGS05/90314007

this doesn't sound like a coach who's disgruntled by a loss, this sounds like a coach who is letting his honest opinion be heard because he feels it's necessary if his league has any chance of bettering it's own officiating.

it sounds like the ecac runs their league like the chinese government. speak out against the league and you'll be punished, whether you're right or not.

i'm glad the wcha isn't like this. we've had our share of poor officiating over the past couple years, but coaches say something about it and, in my opinion, the officiating crew takes it to heart and tries to do better. i think the officiating in the wcha during the second half of this season has been better than it was during the first half of the season. i believe that is because of coaches gripes.

since when is a member of a sports league not allowed to point out discrepencies in the league? the thing is, if his claims didn't have merit, then the ecac has nothing to worry about since everybody would call him out on it. for example, when don lucia goes off on how the sioux play to agressively, then says the same thing about their opponent the following weekend, everybody knows that's just scapegoating. therefore, if schafer is not making a legitimate point, the ecac has nothing to worry about as the masses will speak up on their behalf. at the same time, if schafer's comments are accurate, then the league should look into it.

in either case, a suspension is irresponsible on the part of the league. my guess, based on his words and reputation in the league, schafer's words speak to the truth and i commend him for standing up against a league that he likely knew would rather punish somebody for speaking out against the all-powerful ecac, then actually investigate the claims. my guess is time will prove mr. schafer was in the right; or at least the officials will clean up their act because of his words.

It's not just the ECAC, coaches cannot be publicly critical of officials in any sport at any level. If you are then expect to get suspended and/or fined.

As far as officiating in the WCHA getting better in the second half, I couldn't disagree more. The first half they were doing a better job enforcing the rules, the second half they reverted back (for the most part) to calling things the way they have in the past (which means they let lots of hooks, holds, slashes, and obstuctions go uncalled).

While I don't have a problem with a coach complaining about the officiating, it's rings hollow coming from Schaeffer. His Cornell teams have perfected the obstruction game, so his having a problem with an opponent playing the Cornell game and getting away with it is over the top. What does he want, allow Cornell to obstruct while not allowing the opponent to do the same. He should be made to sit down and watch a tape of game 2 of the Cornell/Sioux series, then complain about the lack of calls by the rules. :lol:

It's not just the ECAC, coaches cannot be publicly critical of officials in any sport at any level. If you are then expect to get suspended and/or fined.

As far as officiating in the WCHA getting better in the second half, I couldn't disagree more. The first half they were doing a better job enforcing the rules, the second half they reverted back (for the most part) to calling things the way they have in the past (which means they let lots of hooks, holds, slashes, and obstuctions go uncalled).

I agree the officiating has gotten a lot worse. And a lot of the penalties to go uncalled are really dangerous ones, or they are not called correctly, such as boarding/checking from behind calls. This is not helping protect the players from dangerous injuries that could occur. All you have to do is look at how much Bruess got away with the last month or so. By not calling the game tighter, it allows players to get the mentality that they can get away with certain things, and I don't like that.

Kudos to this coach as it evidently worked for a night anyway-18 pp. As far as the WCHA offcials, if they would call the game correctly as they intended to for the whole season we would've had at least 15 pp each night this weekend.

I agree that he shouldnt be suspended. Is it really necessary to suspend coaches if they have issues with the ref? I guess they have no right to their own public opinion or own public voice. I'm so sick of this political correctness, and he said she said stuff. I know its common practice for leagues to suspend coaches for critizing officials and league officials

On the other hand, he was upset by the lack of calls, probably rightfully so. Tough luck and go tell someone who actually cares, it's definately not the media. As he stated himself, hes a veteran coach. He knows better than to speak through the media.

Absolutely not acceptable for coaches to go whine to the media. (Can you IMAGINE how bad the posturing would get? shudders)

Schafer got off light. His own school imposed no suspension; it came from the league. (Off topic: How come the WCHA weanies out when ECAC imposes? Or why didn't Cornell's AD step in?)

i read this a few times. maybe i'm missing something being referenced or responded to here, but i cannot make sense of these questions.

Because the head of the ECAC officials is a former NHL Official Paul Stewart and a heck of a lot better than Shep.

There is a reason McLeod was booed. at the game on saturday.

I think it is silly that his team which some have mentioned are the king of the obstruction and then when it happens to his team

he gets upset and then after he takes an official to task in two newspapers. After this happens Schafer is then suspended and his team is rewarded

in the next game with 18 power plays. That number of 18 power players is exidence to me that game was poorly officiated. In essence the officials rewarded bad behavior with a benefit to his team. Basically they admitted that they blew it the night before and corrected a wrong with a wrong. At the expense of the other team. I think Schaffer is a whiner and I hope he has to play in Minneapolis. I can't wait to hear him cry and complain.