SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 NCAA Tournament

Matt

I don't think it's that amazing.

NDSU had 10k fans at the game, which is good for us.

I'm guessing the hockey game had ~9k UND fans and ~9k whoever the other team was (assuming it was a Minnesota team).

The true amazing thing is that there were 20k fans of schools from ND down in the cities watching the games and partying.

Mpls/SP must love it when ND teams are playing in town.

Big money maker for them, no doubt. Thats why I believe UND will play in Minneapolis next week for the hockey regionals. NCAA all about making money. No coincidence NDSU played in Minneapolis for hoops. They knew how well SU traveled.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WCHA Tournament Semi-Final Game in St Paul = 17,729

NCAA Basketball National Tournament Opening Round Game in Minneapolis = 15,794

That is amazing that it would outdraw the NCAA tournament, especially with Kansas in the bracket. Plus it was setup for 31,000 seats and supposedly NDSU was going to bring 30,000.

Looks like the NCAA saved face by placing NDSU there. Attendance would have been pretty dreadful had they not done that.

so how was attendance for game 2? :lol: ...just asking...

Down significantly......you could hear the shoes squeaking on the floor. And, the evening session was worse. It will be interesting to see what the Sunday attendance will be. I will be there, and the games should be great games. But, I suspect it will be pretty empty.

I am somewhat surprised that NDSU over the last 2-3 years wasn't able to convince a good big man and/or power forward to join this very talented group of players. With some inside strength and offense, they would have really been good. Moorman, coming off the bench, could have been very effective!

SU fans - don't get excited, my comments were not meant to negative - just an observation! You should be very proud!

I have thought the same thing many times. I just think that those really good big guys are few and far between and attracting them to a mid-major school is difficult......

Woodside is talented, no doubt.

But there will be more Woodsides.

I'm with Wyo...good big men in college bball are like having good interior DL in football.

There aint never been a Woodside before so I wouldn't count on another any time soon. He fell through the cracks!!

In my opinion (notice I said opinion, wouldn't want to offend someone regarding their bball IQ), that team beats NDSU. Vonesh vs. Moorman (UND, not even close. UCLA,

come on!!)

Rico vs. Woodside (NDSU, but Rico could guard him) Gulseth vs. Winkleman (push, if I had to pick one, Gully. LSU ring a bell)

Jacobson vs. Nelson (Nelson. Great player)

Gardner vs. Tveidt (tough matchup for both. Neither can guard the other but lay

ups are better than 3's. Gardner)

there you go. UND wins..............68-65. :lol:

Still think Rico could gard him?

Yes, I do. I always will. Never said Woodside wasn't a great player but if you can't remember how quick, strong, and athletic Rico was, thats your problem.

I remember. That was such a fun team and I'll always have fond memories of them. But that was also the team that blew a 20-point lead to Virginia Union, so I think the whole comparison to this year's NDSU team is a bit of a stretch.

I remember. That was such a fun team and I'll always have fond memories of them. But that was also the team that blew a 20-point lead to Virginia Union, so I think the whole comparison to this year's NDSU team is a bit of a stretch.

I was listening Kfan today and former Gopher and NBA player Trent Tucker was interviewed. They were talking about D1 basketball

and Trent was asked what he thought about the college game today. He said the game was better years ago when he played in the early 80's.

I happen to agree with him. In most sports the players are better today because of the obvious. They are bigger faster stronger.

But basketball isn't football or track. There are times when a bunch of good shooters can beat a team with alot more athletic ability.

This isn't a knock on SU's BBteam. I just don't think the college game is as good as it was years ago.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Rico suffered an injury either in or immediately before that game, and he played at well under 100%. And I don't believe there was much backcourt depth that year. UND probably was the best team in dII that year, but only when all the key players were healthy.

Yes, I do. I always will. Never said Woodside wasn't a great player but if you can't remember how quick, strong, and athletic Rico was, thats your problem.

Jeeeeeez, touchy touchy. I don't have a problem, just thought seeing as though no one on the Kansas roster could guard him, you may have reevaluated your opinion. :lol:

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Rico suffered an injury either in or immediately before that game, and he played at well under 100%. And I don't believe there was much backcourt depth that year. UND probably was the best team in dII that year, but only when all the key players were healthy.

Correct...Enter the ever dangerous 3 point threat "Whiskey" Mike Wiskus......lol He was fun to watch shoot, could not dribble the ball to half court.

I was listening Kfan today and former Gopher and NBA player Trent Tucker was interviewed. They were talking about D1 basketball

and Trent was asked what he thought about the college game today. He said the game was better years ago when he played in the early 80's.

I happen to agree with him. In most sports the players are better today because of the obvious. They are bigger faster stronger.

But basketball isn't football or track. There are times when a bunch of good shooters can beat a team with alot more athletic ability.

This isn't a knock on SU's BBteam. I just don't think the college game is as good as it was years ago.

I rarely watch BB anymore, because the game has changed so much. I watched a little bit of some women's basketball last night and it reminded me how the men used to play. There wasn't all of the banging around. It was a skill game. That is what I miss from the Men's game. Bigger, stonger, faster is where the game is now.

John Havlicek was one of my favorites.

For the nostalgic.

Rico was hurt in practice that year prior to the Elite Eight. I doubt very much the Sioux would have squandered that huge lead if Rico Burkett hadn't suffered that injury prior to the Elite Eight. If I recall correctly, the Sioux men under coach Rich Glas were ranked No. 1 in the nation in men's hoops when they played Virginia Union in the quarterfinals of the Elite Eight at Springfield, Massachusetts. Had Rico been healthy, I think the Sioux would have gone on to win the national championship. I do think that Sioux team would have had the capability of playing with this year's Bison team. People may have a tencdency to forget just how good that Sioux men's team was.

I rarely watch BB anymore, because the game has changed so much. I watched a little bit of some women's basketball last night and it reminded me how the men used to play. There wasn't all of the banging around. It was a skill game. That is what I miss from the Men's game. Bigger, stonger, faster is where the game is now.

John Havlicek was one of my favorites.

For the nostalgic.

Whats fun about watching that clip is you have players that want the ball.

The offensive skills are amazing. Havlicek, the BigO ,Kareem ,Cowens WOW!

Whats fun about watching that clip is you have players that want the ball.

The offensive skills are amazing. Havlicek, the BigO ,Kareem ,Cowens WOW!

Young Kareem was completely dominant. That Sky Hook is the great shot in basketball history, no competition.

As predicted on this forum, Bisonville has started a separate thread to laugh and rejoice after UND got beat in the NCAA Hockey tournament.

We started a thread congratulating them for making the tournament and wishing them good luck and was a positive thread for the most part. I posted in that thread that we will be expecting them to duplicate that for UND since many Bison posters stated that we should be "proud" of their team making it and how they "represent the entire state of ND" (knowing they wouldn't do it). Well, what we got was a 4 page thread about how great it is that UND lost in the tournament. First Class all the way.

You run a classy site Tony, we didn't expect anything less. :lol:

As predicted on this forum, Bisonville has started a separate thread to laugh and rejoice after UND got beat in the NCAA Hockey tournament.

We started a thread congratulating them for making the tournament and wishing them good luck and was a positive thread for the most part. I posted in that thread that we will be expecting them to duplicate that for UND since many Bison posters stated that we should be "proud" of their team making it and how they "represent the entire state of ND" (knowing they wouldn't do it). Well, what we got was a 4 page thread about how great it is that UND lost in the tournament. First Class all the way.

You run classy site Tony, we didn't expect anything less. :lol:

To be fair, while I only browsed that particular thread, Tony did acknowledge that most UND fans were quite complimentary to NDSU basketball, and he was hoping we'd bring home a title. There are most certainly some rather demented posters on bisonville (just as there are a few on here), but just as there are some Sioux fans on this site that many of us would probably prefer to see go away, there are some on bisonville such as lakesbison who aren't necessarily representative of the average NDSU fan. Of course, I quite possibly would be more in agreement with you if I actually frequented bisonville on a more regular basis. I don't typically go there because lakesbison, etc. make me want to vomit...

To be fair, while I only browsed that particular thread, Tony did acknowledge that most UND fans were quite complementary to NDSU basketball, and he was hoping we'd bring home a title. There are most certainly some rather demented posters on bisonville (just as there are a few on here), but just as there are some Sioux fans on this site that many of us would probably prefer to see go away, there are some on bisonville such as lakesbison who aren't necessarily representative of the average NDSU fan. Of course, I quite possibly would be more in agreement with you if I actually frequented bisonville on a more regular basis. I don't typically go there because lakesbison, etc. make me want to vomit...

That is a good point, Lakes does tend to mess things up and make them all look stupid. I should cut Tony some slack. But the thread was started after the game was over to rejoice in the fact the UND hockey team lost. That was my point.

That is a good point, Lakes does tend to mess things up and make them all look stupid. I should cut Tony some slack. But the thread was started after the game was over to rejoice in the fact the UND hockey team lost. That was my point.

IMO, given what's gone on over the past couple of weeks, e.g. the large majority of UND fans being at least somewhat supportive of NDSU basketball, and particularly the support and help UND students gave to the F-M flood fight, anybody who would celebrate a loss by a UND team at this point due to the UND-NDSU rivalry is pretty pathetic.

... anybody who would celebrate a loss by a UND team at this point due to the UND-NDSU rivalry is pretty pathetic.

cough-Walaker-cough-cough... :lol:

Mayor Walaker should be focused on about a foot of new snow and a 30 mph NNE wind that's coming.

Whitecaps and levees are not a good mix.